Author Topic: K-Con05 rumors: What the heck happend??  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
K-Con05 rumors: What the heck happend??
« on: September 05, 2005, 08:11:11 pm »
Uh......what the heck happend at that convention?
Something about three hotel rooms filled with drunks?
Then later that night a police, ambulence, and fire truck came?
And some guy being arrested for something I aint saying over the forums?

I only saw 2 out of 3, but dang! Does n e one know the whole story?

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 08:14:44 pm »
From what I know on Friday night (might have meant Saturday) someone almost died of alcohol poisoning, that was what the ambulance was for, then on Sunday night two guys that weren’t part of the con were walking around drunk and harassing people.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 08:16:00 pm »
Yes, that did happen. Dx I just head this from the person.
Just one kid got drunk and had to be rushed to the hospital with alcohol poisoning and the person (who shall not be named) was charged with guilt by associantion. And they got their badges taken away.
Corret me if I'm wrong.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 08:28:27 pm »
i'll correct you. he didnt need to go to the hospital at all. he was back the very next morning. i think con staff just freeked out when they found him in the shower coverd in puke. who can blame them really. but yeah, he toatoly didnt almost die.

u754

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 08:34:40 pm »
I'm not too sure of all the details, but I managed to catch a few things over-hearing a conversation while waiting for the elevator. Someone (a minor, I think) got drunk and had alcohal poisoning. He/she was rushed off, and someone was charged with association. Past that, I got nada.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 08:35:42 pm »
oh yeah. it wasnt just one dunk kid. it was a lot of drunk kids and one really drunk kid =3

Offline RoboPirate:One

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 08:48:11 pm »
i = the guy who actually knows what happend =3
*Beep* Plunder *Beep-kgh-whirrrrrrr*

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 09:22:26 pm »
Also, I'm curious about one more thing that I think has to do with this. Feel free to call me on it if it is out of line to ask.

When I was walking back to my and my friend's room on Saturday, there was a guy at the registration booth shouting at hotel security and calling them terrorists. I didn't stop to ask questions though. Anyone know what that was about?

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 09:24:51 pm »
That was Kinfreon and he just freaked out and self destructed and got himself thrown out.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 03:24:19 am »
I'd like to point out something about non-con-related people wandering around the convention grounds:

There was an eccentric man with certain "problems" who repeatedly attempted to enter the con despite having no registration and no connection with the convention. If you've heard rumors that multiple weirdos were wandering the halls, be informed that several of the reports were all referring to the same guy.

Con security worked with hotel security and the local police to remove this person every time he tried to enter the con, and so far as I know, nothing worse happened with that individual.

Anyway, that's all I know about that specific person; I'm just trying to quell rumors that might depict it as worse than it actually was.

As for KinFreon... I was right there when it happened, and it was a case of unwise words being spoken during a sensitive situation.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

KinFreon

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 11:54:13 am »
This crap does not need to be on our forum, much less in our convention. Don't come back.

- Guspasho

Offline lightlysalted

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 09:01:18 pm »
Quote from: "Radien"
I'd like to point out something about non-con-related people wandering around the convention grounds:

There was an eccentric man with certain "problems" who repeatedly attempted to enter the con despite having no registration and no connection with the convention. If you've heard rumors that multiple weirdos were wandering the halls, be informed that several of the reports were all referring to the same guy.

Con security worked with hotel security and the local police to remove this person every time he tried to enter the con, and so far as I know, nothing worse happened with that individual.

Anyway, that's all I know about that specific person; I'm just trying to quell rumors that might depict it as worse than it actually was.

As for KinFreon... I was right there when it happened, and it was a case of unwise words being spoken during a sensitive situation.

Actually, I am not sure if this is the same person, but two of my friends. (Not sure if either of them are on these boards..) Were being followed while waiting to be picked up on the first night of the con. He circled them for a while. Wend in to Stanfords. Came out, and the circled again. They are almost certain he then commenced to masturbate to them. They, needless to say, ran and called the police. (And were picked up right out front the next night too.)

He matched the discription EXACTLY of the person reportadly arrested for breaking into the con. Again, not sure if we're talking of the same guy. But who knows... *shurg*

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 09:26:37 pm »
Well, it's probably not related to all the "glomp me signs" in the convention but a homeless man in the park was wnadering with a "dirty Bum Hugs" sign.

>_<

I can't believe vallie hugged him and then came back and hugged me!
Dirty bum cooties!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 09:29:01 pm »
.. hehe i know the guys it happend to

Well my friend and his friends got drunk and 2 of them left the 3rd guy alone. they came back and he was passed out drunk as hell.. they got him some help and they were kicked out beacuse of being in the rong place at the wrong time ... that sums it up a bit...

they can come back next year tho

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!

Offline Harddrive

• Oni
    • http://t3ngokuno.proboards24.com
"Jesus Bum"
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 09:12:03 am »
Hi, this is Sparky, part of the security and operations staff over the weekend. You might have recognized me as "eyebrows." I'm pretty well aware of all the nasty rumors that were spread, but I can clue you in on the "Jesus bum" as the hotel was calling him. I promised the two girls that I would give the hotel the information and I did. The "Jesus bum" is taken care of. Don't worry yourselves about these rumors, that's why the staff was there. We took care of anything that posed a problem to the health and well being of the con and con-goers alike. Stay happy, stay healthy, stay curled up in an emo ball if that's your thing. Take care.
"I would like to refer to rule #7." ~Myself

Eric Paugh
epaugh@up.edu

Offline Sesari

• Cabbit
    • http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=sesari
Re: "Jesus Bum"
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 11:35:04 am »
Quote from: "Harddrive"
Stay happy, stay healthy, stay curled up in an emo ball if that's your thing. Take care.

HAHAHAHAHA...

... emo ball.  :o

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1433551/
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 11:40:20 am »
Quote from: "Sesari"
Stay happy, stay healthy, stay curled up in an emo ball if that's your thing. Take care.

HAHAHAHAHA...

... emo ball.  :o

If we get seven emo balls together, will they the summon the Eternal Uke?
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,
Tottaly sucks at not getting kidnaped

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 02:16:51 pm »
Hey, not to threadjack or anything... but is it just me, or wasn't Sparky/eyebrows one of the coolest staffers you've ever seen at a con?
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline mightycrouton

• Sailor Scout
    • http://myspace.com/jolivet
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 02:17:29 pm »
Quote from: "randompvg"
Hey, not to threadjack or anything... but is it just me, or wasn't Sparky/eyebrows one of the coolest staffers you've ever seen at a con?

Eric was a sweetie.

Offline FateRuins

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/5926685
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 03:49:55 pm »
It was no big deal. Some of my friends were involved.

Underaged drinking, someone OD-ed, he DID get put into the hospital. My friend went to go see him, they wouldn't let her talk to him (she was not family) but the nurse told her that he was stable. He got out the next day and perfectly OK.

Everyone else got kicked out of their room for underaged drinking, and also banned from the con (or kicked out). That was basically it, it all got handled and taken care of by the staff members, no one DIED or anything.

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/dark_star0
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 06:19:10 pm »
Hello Everyone.  I am Jess Shelton and served as the Head of the Yojimbo (Security) for Kumoricon 2005.  You might have noticed me as the man running around in a red Haori and red headband (both bearing the Kumoricon kanji).  I wanted to hopefully put to rest some of the rumors going on here, or at least put some minds at ease.  First off, I want to state that there were indeed a number of occasions when my staff as well as the general staff of Kumoricon were working all out on various situations for various reasons, however I will not be giving names nor explaining what happened in these circumstances, mainly because I am sure everyone here can understand how the people involved would wish for privacy in these matters.  Secondly, I wish to point out that while we operated on every single lead or report as genuine and put our full effort behind them, many of these turned out to be false alarms or simple mistakes.  Still, better to put the time in and be mistaken then to do nothing and find there was a real problem.  It is mainly for the people involved in these mistakes that I request privacy for those involved as they certainly did not mean to create the stir that they did.  Some of these incidents were overheard and may have led to rumors.  The Hotel staff had a couple of situations of their own which we assisted with as well.  However despite these situations no one was hurt and the Convention was never required to take legal action against anyone.  

All in all we had a fairly uneventful Convention and every single situation and report given to us ended with a positive resolution.  The Hotel staff was very impressed by both the professional behavior of our own staff and by the conduct of our Con goers.  They expressed a desire to work with us again and were very pleased by us. Thank you, hopefully this information will answer some questions despite the lack of some details.
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2007 Assist. Operations Manager/Yojimbo Manager
2006 Assist. Yojimbo Manager
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security
Credentials: senior Physics Major at PSU,Edu minor, Store Manager, Instructor, Security

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 07:27:22 am »
Hi, this is Sparky, part of the security and operations staff over the weekend. You might have recognized me as "eyebrows." I'm pretty well aware of all the nasty rumors that were spread, but I can clue you in on the "Jesus bum" as the hotel was calling him. I promised the two girls that I would give the hotel the information and I did. The "Jesus bum" is taken care of. Don't worry yourselves about these rumors, that's why the staff was there. We took care of anything that posed a problem to the health and well being of the con and con-goers alike. Stay happy, stay healthy, stay curled up in an emo ball if that's your thing. Take care.

Anything that caused a problem to the health and well being of the con? Psssh, I personally don't think I should have gotten my badge taken away. I wasn't being a disturbance to anyone. I thought my badge being taken away was unreasonable and a very unjust thing for the con staff to do. I think I should be redeemed. I paid for the entire con, but I was only able to attend for one day. I think that's crap. I didn't do anything wrong.

Offline SenahbirdR

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 02:51:24 pm »
I do want to say the staff did an execellent from what I saw. I recall Saturday night there were minors unnacounted for and the Staff went searching. Nothing bad happened, just minors not telling people where they were. The staff who were already exhausted from a big day had to give up sleep and/or relaxation activities to search these individuals out. So please, any minors going to be doing something silly or reckless let your roommates know so the staff can enjoy the con too!

I do agree that losing your badge was harsh, I am assuming this has to do with legal issues however.
Knight of Nereis
Bard of Maefwain

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 03:08:54 pm »
Quote from: "SenahbirdR"
So please, any minors going to be doing something silly or reckless let your roommates know so the staff can enjoy the con too!

Thanks for the thought, but most of us resign ourselves to just a few spare minutes and a few hours of sleep anyway. :wink:

Seriously, though... we try our utmost to make sure everyone has fun and stays safe. If you let people know where you're going and try to stay out of harm's way, it makes it easier on us - but we'll be there to look out for you no matter what.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Harddrive

• Oni
    • http://t3ngokuno.proboards24.com
Me
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 08:13:56 pm »
Quote from: "randompvg"

You guys are sweet, thanks.
"I would like to refer to rule #7." ~Myself

Eric Paugh
epaugh@up.edu

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 07:50:19 am »
What got me peeved the most was that con staff treated me like I was a threat to the con when I hadn't done anything but be in the wrong place at the wrong time. So I went ahead and broke the rules and snuck back in repeatedly because I personally felt it to be fair and just. ^_^

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 08:07:05 am »
Who were you and what did you do?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 08:34:38 am »
Quote from: "yuki-chan"
What got me peeved the most was that con staff treated me like I was a threat to the con when I hadn't done anything but be in the wrong place at the wrong time. So I went ahead and broke the rules and snuck back in repeatedly because I personally felt it to be fair and just. ^_^

The police would have been far less kind.  Your badge was revoked because you were involved (perhaps inadvertently) with a minor drinking to the point of endangering themselves.  Leaving anyone drunk past the point of being conscious, alone, on their back, is irresponsible.  The con cannot condone room parties, because of reasons like this.  The con, and hotel, did not press charges, or file a report.  The con was asked if the people in that room should be evicted, we did not feel that was right, but we could not allow the people involved to potentially endanger another con-goer.  

The situation was handled swiftly, and justly.  If it were to happen again, we would probably do the exact same thing.  The fact that the people that were in the room feel they were treated unfairly just proves that they still fail to understand the gravity of the situation: which is unfortunate.  No convention wants to do something like this, it is difficult, but necessary.

I'm going to lock this thread.  It is proving inappropriate, and is not providing an accurate or positive base for the sharing of information.
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"