Author Topic: Pokemon Tournament this year [EDIT: Rules Posted!]  (Read 5776 times)

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
Pokemon Tournament this year [EDIT: Rules Posted!]
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:35 pm »
EDIT 8/29/11: Hey everyone! I talked to some of the staff and it seems like I may be able to get this tournament rolling! I took some time and wrote out the rules to be used, shown below. As of now I do not know what time and date it will be held, but looking at the current schedule, Monday would probably be the best day for it.

--------------------

Overview
Platform: Nintendo DS
Game: Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version
Battle Style: 3v3 singles, autolevel to level 50, Wonder Launcher off
Bracket: Double elimination
Maximum number of entrants: 32

Requirements
Each player must bring their own:
System: DS original / DS Lite / DSi / DSi XL / 3DS
Game: A retail copy of Pokémon Black or Pokémon White (NO flashcarts allowed!)

Banned Pokémon
Arceus, Blaziken (with Speed Boost only), Celebi, Darkrai, Deoxys (all formes), Dialga, Garchomp, Genesect, Giratina (all formes), Groudon, Ho-Oh, Jirachi, Keldeo, Kyogre, Kyurem, Lugia, Manaphy, Meloetta, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Phione, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin (all formes), Victini, Zekrom

* Italicized Pokemon are ones that the game does not ban automatically. However, they are not to be used in this tournament.
** If you are familiar with the competitive metagame, then the Pokemon that are underlined are normally allowed, but they are automatically banned in the game, meaning that you will not be able to use them.

Banned Moves
Double Team, Minimize, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Sheer Cold, V-Create

Banned Abilities
Moody and any unreleased Dream World ability

Banned Items
Brightpowder, Lax Incense, Soul Dew

Battle Clauses
Species clause: No two Pokémon of the same species may be used on the team. However, two Pokémon from the same evolutionary line is fine. For example, you may not have two Bulbasaur on your team, but you may have both a Bulbasaur and a Venusaur.
Item clause: No two Pokemon on your team can be holding the same item.
Evasion clause: Moves and items that boost your Pokémon’s evasion stat are banned. This includes the moves Double Team and Minimize, and the items Brightpowder and Lax Incense.
Sleep clause: No more than one Pokémon may be put to sleep on your opponent’s team at the same time.
OHKO clause: No one hit knockout moves may be used. This includes the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, and Sheer Cold.
Self KO clause: If both players’ last Pokémon are knocked due to Explosion, Selfdestruct, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song; the player who used the move is considered to have lost. If both players’ last Pokémon are knocked out due to a Pokémon using a recoil move and KOing the opponent's Pokémon, the player who used the recoil move is considered to have won.

Details
•   Battles will be initiated between two DS systems via local wireless.
•   Players are to head to the second floor of any Pokémon Center and enter the Union Room by talking to the lady at the very left.
•   Once inside the Union Room, find your assigned battle partner and start a Flat Battle.
•   Players are to bring a full team of six Pokémon, but only three will be used in battle.
•   A preview of your opponent’s team will be shown to you before the battle; during this time both players will select the Pokémon to be used in battle.
•   All Pokémon above level 50 on your team will be autoleved to 50 for the duration of the battle; Pokémon that are below level 50 will not be autoleveled.
•   Players are allowed to change the Pokémon on their team inbetween matches.
•   Team checks may be done randomly to check the legality of your Pokémon.
•   Pokémon found to have illegal stats/abilities/movesets will result in the player being disqualified from the tournament.
•   If, during the battle, you have found that your opponent has violated any of the rules, immediately report the problem. The person found to have violated the rules may be asked to change his or her team, or, under certain circumstances, be disqualified.
•   Tournament rules are subject to change.

--------------------

// This was the ORIGINAL MESSAGE I posted:

I'm wondering if a Pokemon tournament will be held this year. I was fairly disappointed that there wasn't one last year, but it may be due to the fact that the Pokemon hype had died down a bit at that time.

With the (fairly) new release of Pokemon Black and White, I'm pretty sure that a tournament would be popular since a bunch of people seem to have a copy, and there are bound to be people in the competitive scene who would appreciate a tournament.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:46:05 pm by Shiba21 »
Visit my DeviantART! http://qiisnii.deviantart.com

2013 cosplay plans:

- Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai!) 95%
- Anzu Futaba (iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls) 25%

Offline Tobias

• Chibi
Re: Pokemon Tournament this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:21:50 pm »
I would love to see this! 
Done:
Garterbelt (Panty & Stocking)
Fem!Demoman (TF2)

2013:
Attack on titan uniform

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:03:00 pm »
This needs to happen. I've had a team of high lvls just waiting to fight people, and a tourney would put them to the test they need.

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:43:41 pm »
Just name the place and time, I will BE THERE!  My Pokemon thirst for blood....
QUESTION, Do normal competitive rules apply?  The ones I know of are as follows

1) Only final evolutions of a pokemon are permitted (example: Squirtle is not eligible, you must evolve it into Blastoise before it can compete)
2) No two or more pokemon of the same species may compete on the same team (that means no all Charizard teams, people!  Even two Charizards, or any other pokemon, will disqualify the team)
3) No "OHKO" moves, as in moves whose only effect is 'knock out in one hit,' such as sheer cold and fissure.
4) No "hax" items, that alters luck factors like critical hits and flinching.  (examples: king's rock, brightpowder)
5) No two of the same held item on your team.  a team full of pokemon holding leftovers is just plain unfair.
6) Evasion boosting moves are not to be used.
7) Only one pokemon can be put to sleep at a time. Self inflicted sleep, such as rest, does not count towards this.
8) Pokemon-specific items, such as light ball and soul dew, are not to be used.  this gives the pokemon a boost so big its unfair.
9) Before a battle, a player may choose to invoke the optional "no items" clause and exclude held items from his or her team. If this is done, his or her opponent MUST do the same.
10) THE MOST IMPORTANT!  Unless otherwise specified, Uber pokemon are banned from all competitive teams. the list of uber pokemon are as follows:

Mewtwo
Lugia
Ho-oh
Blaziken
Kyogre
Groudon
Raquaza
Deoxys (normal forme)
Deoxys (attack forme)
Garchomp
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Giratina (origin forme)
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin (sky forme)
Arceus
Reshiram
Zekrom

If ANY of these pokemon are on your team, you are immediately disqualified!  these pokemon are too powerful for normal battles!
This concludes my knowledge of competitive pokemon battling rules.  Did everyone understand that?  More importantly, is everyone willing to follow these rules?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:47:15 am by Pixie »
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:00:07 am »
Yep, those rules look good. That was what was used in the tournament two years ago.

Except, there have been some recent changes to the banned list with the introduction of Dream World abilities.

To my knowledge, this includes Blaziken with Speed Boost, and any Pokemon with Moody. And it should go without saying that unreleased Dream World Pokemon are banned too.

EDIT: In the rules written above, I'm pretty sure #1, #8, and #9 don't apply. It's not required for you to use the final evolution form of a Pokemon. Especially with the release of the Eviolite, Pokemon such as Chansey and Porygon2 are totally useable. The only Pokemon-specific item that's banned is the Soul Dew. And I'm not sure what you mean by rule #9, since it's not competitive battling if you're going to disallow the usage of items.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:58:21 pm by Shiba21 »

2013 cosplay plans:

Offline Nando-KiT

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:59:52 am »
i would join. i have some high levels . ive never done something like this so it could be fun
It all started with the knee.

mascot art belongs to Elaine Huang and Jacqueline Taylor

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:16:56 pm »
Kumoricon is less than two weeks away and still no news on this? Guess it's not happening then... sigh.

2013 cosplay plans:

Offline AuraZero

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 05:19:59 am »
While you won't see any Pokemon tournaments in the con book, it's something we really want to provide. I am currently scheming to get at least a small something of this rolling. Unfortunately I can't promise a whole lot, but I assure you we're trying to fit it in. If we can't and you guys want to organize one yourselves we would be more than happy to post a sign-up and do some basic announcements for you on our PA system.

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 11:03:12 am »
While you won't see any Pokemon tournaments in the con book, it's something we really want to provide. I am currently scheming to get at least a small something of this rolling. Unfortunately I can't promise a whole lot, but I assure you we're trying to fit it in. If we can't and you guys want to organize one yourselves we would be more than happy to post a sign-up and do some basic announcements for you on our PA system.

:o That's unfortunate, but I'm glad you guys are trying to work on it.

Is there anything that I could do to help with setting up the tournament? I am fairly knowledgeable in the competitive aspect and I would be able to write out the rules and figure out a tournament bracket and such. Is there anyone I can contact to talk this over with?

2013 cosplay plans:

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
Re: Pokemon Tournament this year [EDIT: Rules Posted!]
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 02:09:25 pm »
Good news! I talked to some of the staff and it seems like I may be able to get this tournament rolling! I took some time and wrote out the rules to be used, shown in the first post. As of now I do not know what time and date it will be held, but looking at the current schedule, Monday would probably be the best day for it.

2013 cosplay plans:

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 09:00:48 pm »
dragon air and furret are in

Offline Randomman29

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 09:44:37 am »
I'm in.
I'll play pokemon with anyone at anytime, my FC for HG, Slag: 2021 5546 4058, email me at: random_man2789@yahoo.com

Offline Randomman29

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 09:18:00 pm »
Also if it helps I will offer a few of my Shiny Hydreigons for prizes.
I'll play pokemon with anyone at anytime, my FC for HG, Slag: 2021 5546 4058, email me at: random_man2789@yahoo.com

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 09:27:38 pm »
Also if it helps I will offer a few of my Shiny Hydreigons for prizes.

Ooh, that would be cool! :D Are they RNG'd?

I have a few potential Pokemon to put for prizes but I dunno if people will want them. I have like a few Drought Vulpix and random shinies...

2013 cosplay plans:

Offline Randomman29

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 10:25:54 pm »
You do know it's been going on for the past month right?
You do go to serebii.net....don't you?

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 01:51:52 am »
Ohh, it's the event Hydreigon. Got it.

I'm not really up-to-date on Japanese events so I kind of forgot about that ^^;

2013 cosplay plans:

Offline Randomman29

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 06:49:19 am »
Yes and I'll be getting more this week so it's good.
And then there's still the time it comes to the US.

Offline Randomman29

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 05:25:28 pm »
So I might not make it to play since it's the same time as the card one but I'll still be there to give out the shiny pokemon. Also anyone that wants to do some pokemon fun look for me in the table-top area at ten tomorrow(Sunday).