Author Topic: Live Blog from the 2011 AMV Contest Judges Panel!  (Read 23649 times)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Live Blog from the 2011 AMV Contest Judges Panel!
« on: July 29, 2011, 06:41:24 pm »
OK gang here we go again with one of the more fun events of the year!

Step 1: Check mailbox for last time. Nada.
Step 2: The contest webpage now shows CLOSED.

Judges are expected to arrive tomorrow (Saturday) around NOON and we can kick off the sorting and sifting.

Right now I am making a nice little dinner for 2 - my sweetie cleaned and prepped the house - she is amazing...
Culinary details coming later and maybe pairing and tasting notes to boot ...

Then on to Step 3 which will be writing index cards for all the entries so the judges can make paper airplanes out of the ones that suck arrange the playlists and categories...

That's when I can have further info on total number of entries, where they all came from, animes used, video running times, etc.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:42:58 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: Live Blog from the 2011 AMV Contest Judges Panel!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »
We are having very thin-sliced top rounds (4oz portion total) and they cook to medium rare in like 3 minutes in seething water.
I'm using water from some mushrooms I boiled yesterday.

A really great pairing with this or flame-grilled meats is a fly-under-the-radar find at my favorite wine shop in the area.

At $10.50 it's a song: 2007 'Castel' - it's a basic workhorse Rosso from Lombardy Italy.
This is fresh, fruity, and bright right now* - it won't keep, but it's great with grilled meats.

*Edit: Added the maker's website, and as I thought, there's no 'wood' on this - straight 18mo in stainless + 6mo in the bottle.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:00:58 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:06:40 pm »
I, for one, am very excited to see (erm... read?) what happens tomorrow. And that sounds very yummy; too bad I'm a vegetarian! xD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »
I, for one, am very excited to see (erm... read?) what happens tomorrow. And that sounds very yummy; too bad I'm a vegetarian! xD
Well - I turned up diabetic this past April and I am making endeavours to control everything and learn as much as I can.
It's a pain because I don't really like vegetables, but I have to eat them in overwhelming volume with most meals. Weeds! Ugh!
(Gimmie a bacon cheeseburger and fries covered in brown gravy any day - see that parsly garnish - that's all the greenery I need to see on the plate.)

News: Several judges are reporting that they can't make it - we will have a thin crew this time. However I am hoping for a couple of new faces, too.
In any case we should have some great results. (Edit: AND DELICIOUS BBQ LEFTOVERS.)

I have 3 of 6 categories marked out with cards; totals will come out thereafter.

And my BG is now 90. I was at 81 before the meal. See what a nice, low-carb dinner & a glass of wine can do?
I get to save my vision if I keep this up! (But dammit I could go for a banana split...)
If my numbers stay nice over the next 2 hrs then I should be able to skip insulin - and that will be the 2nd day in a row.
I'm type 2 - so getting off insulin is like taking the training wheels of when learning to bike.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:04:24 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:56:51 pm »
News: Several judges are reporting that they can't make it - we will have a thin crew this time. However I am hoping for a couple of new faces, too.
In any case we should have some great results.

The Analyst in me wonders if a small set of judges means less group moderation (that is, less of a tendency for the majority opinion to be mainstream) and that outlier AMVs might have a slightly (but randomly) better chance than they would normally.  (I'm not expressing concern nor looking for an answer.  I'm just naturally curious about group dynamics.)

I've now got notifications turned on for this thread for me, so that will help keep me from hitting the Refresh button all day Saturday.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:18:13 pm »
News: Several judges are reporting that they can't make it - we will have a thin crew this time.
The Analyst in me wonders if a small set of judges means less group moderation (that is, less of a tendency for the majority opinion to be mainstream) and that outlier AMVs might have a slightly (but randomly) better chance than they would normally.  (I'm not expressing concern nor looking for an answer.  I'm just naturally curious about group dynamics.)
Yes, we have to use the Student t-distribution instead of a true Gaussian if the number of judges is less than - what - 28?

Personally I prefer a larger crowd and I like to mix up ages, political alignments, and walks of life, etc. as much as I can.

I will probably finish only one more category tonight, then hit the bricks soon.

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 02:44:28 am »

Personally I prefer a larger crowd and I like to mix up ages, political alignments, and walks of life, etc. as much as I can.

Yeah. Diversity is best.  I'll feel sorry for any AMV involving a series that the small handful of judges might not have watched.  I would think that would hurt the chances for that AMV.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 03:14:53 am »
Well - I turned up diabetic this past April and I am making endeavours to control everything and learn as much as I can.
It's a pain because I don't really like vegetables, but I have to eat them in overwhelming volume with most meals. Weeds! Ugh!
(snip)

Hear, hear! No diabetes yet, but it runs on my mother's side... with the result being that I have to eat a lot more vegetables than I'd prefer to stay healthy. (Well, that and because I'm trying to trim down my weight.)

One thing I've found to be a lifesaver has been Bacon Salt. It sounds like a joke, but it tastes almost exactly like bacon. No calories, and it makes a lot of vegetables go from *ugh* to delicious. If I can remember, I'll bring a packet for you to the next meeting.

(Oh, and it's even vegetarian and kosher.)

~~~~~

On the actual topic, just out of curiosity... what qualifications do you need in an AMV judge, and are you still considering people? If people are worried about the small number, the best remedy would be to make it a larger number. ;)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 06:30:38 am »
Quote from: randompvg
Hear, hear! No diabetes yet, but it runs on my mother's side...
The distaff side here too! It all hit them in their mid-30s and me in my late 40s so I knda beat the game a little.

with the result being that I have to eat a lot more vegetables than I'd prefer to stay healthy. (Well, that and because I'm trying to trim down my weight.)
The unintentionally easy part for me was that the onset took 35 pounds off of me in 3 weeks. But that was also in Lent, when I give up all the yummies anyways. Now, basically Lent never ends, so I'm not giving up any more foods. I'll do something else next time around.

One thing I've found to be a lifesaver has been Bacon Salt. It sounds like a joke, but it tastes almost exactly like bacon. No calories, and it makes a lot of vegetables go from *ugh* to delicious.
I add a little black sesame oil, and/or drown them in Sririhachi or Chipotle Tabasco.
I also have to watch my salt (2100mg/day max) so I don't know about the bacon salt unless a little really goes a long way. Would love to try it, though.

On the actual topic, just out of curiosity... what qualifications do you need in an AMV judge, and are you still considering people?
PM'd you.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 07:20:47 am »
OK - Just started writing cards for the last category.
But it's time to break for breakfast.

[ AFK ...]

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 08:28:33 am »
And my BG is now 90. I was at 81 before the meal. See what a nice, low-carb dinner & a glass of wine can do?
I get to save my vision if I keep this up! (But dammit I could go for a banana split...)
If my numbers stay nice over the next 2 hrs then I should be able to skip insulin - and that will be the 2nd day in a row.
I'm type 2 - so getting off insulin is like taking the training wheels of when learning to bike.

Awesome readings!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 10:49:51 am »
YIKES - kumoricon.org was DOWN for a bit there !?!

OK now setting up electronics in the shop (a 30' x 40' outbuilding.)

Sweeping, vacuuming out cobwebs, ammonia on tables and 2 pews we got FREE when a church was remodelling.

Networking first, then projector & sound!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 11:01:16 am »
Church pews for free? Wow. I hope everything goes well n.n
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:45:16 am »
Quote from: Mitsukai Mizu Amaya
Church pews for free?
Yeah - they were all over their front lawn with a sign that said "PEWS - FREE"
I nabbed 2 in the ol' pick-up but by the time I cam back for a second trip they were ALL gone.

Copying the whole contest now from my laptop to the back-up system.
We will play off the back-up as a "slower computer = worse case" test.

I am using my best projector though, because we have many entries made in full HD:
that's right, 1080p, and 60fps. Any categories where these land in will chase out at least half the 480p entries in there.
RUN FOR COVER !!!

Initial stats & totals coming up soon...

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »
oh damn; I had one in that size, but redid the encode to a smaller size >>
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 01:18:31 pm »
Still working on anime totals, countries, etc.

Lit off the grill and I have some ribs & linguica going.

Slower-smoking steaks will be lain on soon.

Meanwhile, in the heat of the day, I will be pouring a 2009 blush Chinon (Loire) with rice cakes, garlic tomato hummus and and some lighter cheeses such as raclette.

Several judges have arrived and they ar going through the uncategorized entries to see if they fit into categories.
They said that bridge closures in town are delaying traffic all over.

Back to it !!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:36:40 pm by Prinz Eugen »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »
That sucks! I hope everyone gets there. Can't wait for the list, too. I like to see what anime's my competition... I mean, fellow amazing AMVs have come from n.n
KumoriCon 2012

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »
Quote from: Prinz Eugen

I start a new forum thread under Fan Creations > AMV, and in between cooking and serving (and working on the contest OP, etc) I send updates - about hourly if I can - with the latest developments, quips by the judges, etc.
I usually start with a summary of total # of entries, anime series used, and where they all came from.

Feedback makes it more FUN, so please don't just LURK.

OK. Standing by, ready to NOT Lurk!  I hope there are some interesting/fun/surprising comments that you'll be able to share from the judges once that portion gets underway.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 02:02:24 pm »
  I hope there are some interesting/fun/surprising comments that you'll be able to share from the judges once that portion gets underway.

"This is one I'd show my friends if I didn't want them to be my friends anymore..."

The judges have reviewed all the uncategorized entries and picked about 6 to move on into categories.

They are now working on Random Amusement.

I am almost done with the initial stats. (mega sweatdrops ...)

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 02:03:47 pm »
DDDD8 You torture us! -wants to see the stats-
KumoriCon 2012

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 02:12:24 pm »

"This is one I'd show my friends if I didn't want them to be my friends anymore..."

I suspect my imagination dreams up AMV horrors that far exceed the actual video that prompted this response.  If you feed contextless innuendos to a group of creative people, our imaginations go crazy.  You do this on purpose, I'm sure.   ;D

(Of course... this would be very bad if this is my own video that is being discussed.  o_O )

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 02:38:13 pm »
DDDD8 don't make me think that too! ><
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
STATS - A NEW RECORD
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 02:39:15 pm »
TOTAL ENTRIES: 124
Total duration: Six Hours, twenty-one minutes!!!

Uncategorized: 31
Instrumental: 16
Trailers 12
Retro: 15
Effects: 8
Intensity: 20
Random Amusement: 22

ELEVEN countries (tied w/ 2008)

Canada (AB, PQ)
France
Italy
Japan
Libya
Madagascar
Poland
Portugal
Scotland
Tatarstan
USA

Twelve THIRTEEN States (Another record!)

CA
DE
FL
MA
MN
NY
OH
OR
SC
TX
VA
WA
WV

Edit!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:28:24 am by Prinz Eugen »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 02:44:16 pm »
Holy crap O-O I've got some competition there! DDDDDD8 -worries-
KumoriCon 2012

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 02:50:30 pm »
As I've said before, diversity is good!  I'm sure there are many, many outstanding entries... and the challenge for the judges is to somehow eliminate the excellent from the superb.  This should make for a really strong show this year!

For me, personally, this is not great news.  A first-timer competing against a floatilla of veteran producers/creators/artists... my odds are not good.  I was hoping for a light number of entries to improve my chances.  Simple fare does not distinguish itself well from a buffet of gourmet dishes.  But whatever shall be, shall be.

I hope you guys are having loads of fun there!  (Plus good eats, besides.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:52:49 pm by LovelyAngel »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 04:07:46 pm »
Quote from: LovelyAngel
For me, personally, this is not great news.  A first-timer competing against a floatilla of veteran producers/creators/artists... my odds are not good.  I was hoping for a light number of entries to improve my chances.  Simple fare does not distinguish itself well from a buffet of gourmet dishes.  But whatever shall be, shall be.
This is hard on me too - everyone needs a place to start learning - and I mean a GOOD place. I want everyone to feel welcome submitting - even if it's their first time trying. Maybe we can have a novice category or a separate event sometime? Some online competitions have special awards for "if you have been registered on this site for less than 'x' years" or "first time entering [N] contest." Definitely something to discuss when we start putting together the next contest.
I hope you guys are having loads of fun there!  (Plus good eats, besides.)
I have ssslllloooowww-smoked some top rounds in garlic and cayenne powder, with APPLE wood shavings on the coals.
I am serving a Pineau Charente RED (harder to find here) with strong cheeses like Rochefort, plus fresh blueberries (from our bushes - they're ripe RIGHT NOW!) and black cherries. Gotta keep those judges working!

They just finished a first stab at Effects and have moved on to Trailers.

Quips from Effects:

"Four bars, change effect, four bars, next effect - gets repetitive"
(Several judges started counting "1, 2, 3, 4" to the beat as each effect changed...)

"Also, re-using the same canned effect for ALL transitions is called 'Freebird' "
(One of them had seen an effects video to the Lynyrd Skynyrd song that went WAY too long and REPEATED the same effect all the time. Now this is called a 'Freebird.' New Meme for AMV judging!)

"This looks NOTHING like the show - I want to keep this he's done a hell of a lot of work - this is ALL effects!"

"What country is this from - this is awesome - they must have high unemployment there so people can have time to do this!!"

Show listing next!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:37:05 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
The Animes used in this year's Contest!
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 04:13:10 pm »
Here ya go - Fifty-Three FIFTY-FOUR different shows:

8-Man After
Arashi no Yoru Ni
Axis Powers Hetalia
Ayakashi 100 Stories (2)
Baccano!
Binchou-tan
Black Cat
Black Rock Shooter
Busou Renkin
Byosoku 5cm
Clannad After Story (3)
Claymore
Cowboy Bebop (2)
Daughters of Mnemosyne
Death Note
Diebuster
Dominion - Tank Police
Du Ra Ra Ra
Dragon Ball Z
ef Tale of Memories
Eureka-7
Fate Stay Night
Final Fantasy (1 Game & 1 Anime)
Full Metal Alchemist (3)
Gankutsuou de Monte Christo
Hakuoki (Game)
Higurashi no Naku Kori Ni
Ghost in the Shell
Kaicho wa Maid-sama
Kingdom Hearts
King of Thorns
Kodomo no Jikan
Kuro Hitsuji
Lucky Star (2)
Lupin III
Macross
Megazone 23
Michio to Hachin
Neon Genesis Evangelion (2)
Noir
Ouran Highschool Host Club (2)
Outlaw Star
Professor Layton and the Eternal Dream
Persona 3 (Game)
Persona 4 (Game)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (7)
Rule of Rose
Sailor Moon
Shiki
Slayers
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
Windaria
Xenosaga (Game)
Zoids (3)

Various (6)

I can hardly wait till they get to Instrumental. I have a BOMB waiting for them there, and I really hope it gets picked.

EDIT: I missed one two! It's 54!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:35:17 am by Prinz Eugen »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 04:39:50 pm »
I hope so too. I love instrumental music. Oooh man, this'll be so much fun this year. And Trailers next? O-O!!!! -suddenly starts sweating- DDDDD8
KumoriCon 2012

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 04:50:21 pm »
Ah. Stunning List. I can see this is pretty much Game Over for me, though.  The competition is too steep, for sure, as my piece is fairly simplistic, and the numbers are totally against me.  *sigh*

Still, I have to continue cleanup, if only to assuage my unhappiness with the current quality.  I shall polish my humble little piece and at least leave it in a state of watchability.  Stupid bugs.

Thanks for the updates.  I'll keep listening for quotes!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 05:02:30 pm »
-smacks Angel- Don't you be talking like that DDD<
This is my... third year submitting AMVs, fourth year making them. My first year, Kumo... 2008 I think? I submitted a FFVII AMV, a Xenosaga AMV, a FMA AMV, and an... uh... yeah, back then it was only three AMVs per person. Anyway, I thought mine were crap; they were made in WMM at the time (I have Sony Vegas now) and I was very damn well sure none of them would get in.

Guess what? First year, my FMA AMV, second AMV I ever made (the FFVII being the first) got into the contest in the Japanese Music category. Now, it didn't win the category, but I clearly, distinctly remember the audience "AWWWWWW"ing during a particular part of it.

Don't put yourself down like that; I'm sure you'll do just fine. n.n If you don't get in this year, there's always next.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 05:17:12 pm »
They've started 'Intensity.'

They made a sub-directory called 'Meh' in there and if the AMV doesn't grab them in about the first 20 seconds then it's 'Meh' and gets revisited later.
This will make a quick weed-out of pixellated crudfest entries and anything else that seems BORING. One entry card I noted says that that piece takes 2min 40sec for the music to kick into gear. Maybe they'll wait that long...

17:51pm EDIT - Another entry using the same show came in - and BEAT it out.
(Rule: Any show can only appear ONCE in each category.)
This second project starts with a flash, backs off to a slow, confusing phase (what is this and why? who are these characters and why should I care?) then picks up a little steam and clarifies the characters, the confict, and then builds to intense, effects-filled finish. Pretty strong contender.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:51:10 pm by Prinz Eugen »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2011, 05:18:27 pm »
Oh man -crosses fingers for her Intensity AMV- ><
KumoriCon 2012

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 05:25:31 pm »
-smacks Angel- Don't you be talking like that DDD<

I humbly accept being chastized.  (^_^)  I now feel like I'm in a scene from some anime.  You can even see the giant red cross on my head where I've been smacked.   And now a big band-aid appears.  ;D

Don't put yourself down like that; I'm sure you'll do just fine. n.n If you don't get in this year, there's always next.

I always have to set reasonable expectations for things; I don't want to get too wrapped up in plans and hopes.  I hope for the best but plan for the worst.

As much as I enjoy AMVs, I don't actually get to watch them very often – even at Kcon.  I think it's been about five years since I've been to the AMV event.  Nowadays I'm mostly out taking photographs.  (For example, my Photos From Kumoricon 2010. )   The fact that I created an AMV this year is an anomaly, and I doubt I'll be doing another one.  This was a one-time thing, I think.

But thank you for your kind words of encouragement.  I'll try not to be (or at least appear to be) too negative!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 05:28:53 pm »
Good girl n.n

EDIT

... erm, sorry if you''re not a girl xD
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:29:15 pm by Mitsukai Mizu Amaya »
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 06:07:39 pm »
Quip: "Why do I get the feeling that the editor of this AMV wears black nail polish?"

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »
Quip: "Why do I get the feeling that the editor of this AMV wears black nail polish?"

Hee!  Gothic is fun to watch, too! 

Whether the videos are good or bad, I would think that the variety is great fun.  Change-ups are good.

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 06:15:29 pm »
Good girl n.n

EDIT

... erm, sorry if you''re not a girl xD

Yes, I'm a girl.   :D   I had figured you simply looked at my profile.   Well... that and my avatar.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 06:17:26 pm »
xD
-looks down at her hands- I hope they weren't talking about mine xD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 07:15:20 pm »
Quote from: LovelyAngel
Hee!  Gothic is fun to watch, too! 
Yes, but the judges have to stay awake in order to vote yes.
Whether the videos are good or bad, I would think that the variety is great fun.  Change-ups are good.
This is why I have a pre-show and a show following, where I can pick up some of the other pieces that are still otherwise pretty good.

UPDATE: Still working on Instrumental. They made three directories: 'WB' for wastebasket, 'slow,' and
'too cool to be put in slow.'

Et 'Bienvenue' au francophones qui lisant ceci!
Les editeurs d'AMVs françaises placent bien.

We got a fair number of entries from France and her former colonies (chantons Le Boudin!)
and about 3 or 5 are placing very strongly so far. Félicitations!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 07:24:07 pm »
I bet my entry was in 'slow' xD;;;
Can't wait to see the final results! What category's are left after Instrumental?
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 07:52:04 pm »
Quote from: Mitsukai Mizu Amaya
I bet my entry was in 'slow' xD;;;
Can't wait to see the final results! What category's are left after Instrumental?
They are working on 'Retro' now.
This is all first-pass stuff.
They are trying to get the categories down to 6 to 8 entries each, and THEN
they will make a second pass to 6 or fewer in each.

The next step is to time the total duration, and we will try to aim for maybe an 80 - 105 minute show.

This means that most of the AMVs over the 4min 40sec guideline have been (or will soon be) eliminated.

There was a Bacanno one that went by in an earlier category, and many of the judges recalled enjoying Puttin' on a Commotion in 2009.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:53:04 pm by Prinz Eugen »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »
xDDD
I don't remember that one... Then again, I'm terrible with names.
Well, I hope they have fun with Retro! That has to be one of the harder categories for creators, what with the restrictions and all (I've never done it myself)
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 08:21:24 pm »
First pass is complete.

They are now evaluating ONE AMV from uncategorized, which was exceptional enough that they want to try to wedge it in somewhere.
The "Drama Wastebasket" has a total of 1 hour and 15 minutes of AMVs.

Should I play that in a room at the con for an hour, and see if anyone shows up?

EDIT: First Pass Stats:

Instrumental: 6 entries, total 13min 00sec
Intensity: 7 AMVs remaining, total 18min 44sec
Trailers: 5 entries, total 9min 39sec
Retro: 5 entries, total 16min 44sec
Random Amusement, 6 entries, 11min 09sec
Effects: 8 entries, 17min 14sec

Total time is 80min and 30sec

Now they are into the Second Pass. Here, they will trim down Intensity and Effects, but that may make the contest TOO SHORT, so they will look at re-instating some entries in Retro and Trailers that they originally bounced, so that we can get more editors' woks up there on the screen in front of the crowd.

WE ARE ALMOST DONE !!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:48:09 pm by Prinz Eugen »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:17 pm »
Hmm... maybe? If there's a time and place for it?
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 09:45:33 pm »
OK - THEY'RE DONE!!!
This took about EIGHT hours.

Everyone is going home now.

We will be cleaning things, folding tables, etc, and taking down electronics.

Then I am going to call it ZZZ for the day.

Watch here tomorrow for final entry tallies & stats.

@ Mitsukai & Angel - thx for keeping me company ... !

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 09:48:34 pm »
You're welcome n.n
Have a good night, and I can't wait to see everything tomorrow n.n
KumoriCon 2012

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2011, 10:08:24 pm »

@ Mitsukai & Angel - thx for keeping me company ... !

Thank you for all the entertaining and informative updates!  This was fun!  I appreciate all your work.

Offline LigerZeroLindsey

• Sailor Scout
    • Liger Zero Lindsey's Deviant Art
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »
Oh man I missed out on all this! Just read through it all tho xD Can't wait to see if any of my AMVs made it! i hope so with all the work I had to go through to get the files small enough to get in T_T

Good luck everyone! =D
2013 Costumes:
Liger Zero Panzer
Kuhori the Wolf
Tang the Fusky
Okami Amaterasu

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
Re: The Animes used in this year's Contest!
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 12:13:34 am »
Do Re Re Re

Umm... that anime is definitely DuRaRaRa!!... >.>;;

Sorry for missing the blogging; I was at work. Catching up on it right now, very excited about this year's show :)

Ah. Stunning List. I can see this is pretty much Game Over for me, though.  The competition is too steep, for sure, as my piece is fairly simplistic, and the numbers are totally against me.  *sigh*

I can remember having *exactly* this same thought my first year entering and I came out winning the Retro category. I'm not going to say it'll happen for sure but new-comers *can* win categories and Kcon, even if they are just starting out and still have kinks in their execution. Don't lose hope :)

Edit: Alright; caught up and eeeeeek, I always forget the "ohgodohgodohgod what if none of my entries got in" feeling that always follows this blog session and goes right up to the creator dinner where you generally tell us if we made it in.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:24:57 am by murder_of_raven »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 10:21:25 am »
Oh god I hope we get to know before then D8
KumoriCon 2012