Author Topic: Frustration with the vendor hall  (Read 1838 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Frustration with the vendor hall
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:48:22 pm »
Red Lion is unavailable. All rooms booked while we're still waiting on any word about even being able to sell stuff. Vendors would be most likely to book there, as that's one of the FEW things we've been told--that the vendor hall would be at the Red Lion.

Frankly, the amount of time on this is highly unprofessional. It's disrespectful not only to potential vendors, but to the attendees as well.

All we hear is that you're waiting on your lawyer. We hear nothing else, nothing about what's taking so long or if this lawyer has been made aware of how pressing an issue this is or anything. There are reports of emails going unanswered, something that is incredibly unprofessional for an organization of Kumoricon's size. People are becoming irritated; not just me, and not just potential vendors, but attendees anticipating the varied vendors they were promised.

Vendors are a vital part of any anime convention. We're a major draw, and while I'm not certain of the exact numbers, I would wager the vast majority of convention attendees visit the vendor hall at least once during a convention. That isn't a spur-of-the-moment decision either, like popping into a viewing room. Oftentimes there are lines of over half an hour. People want to see what the vendors have for sale and are willing to put in a considerable amount of time to so much as look around.

And yet, this year, we're treated as almost an afterthought. Something that seems to have escaped notice until fairly recently.

We were told during winter that we would have information "after Sakura-con". While this is certainly after Sakura-con, the phrasing suggests something far closer in time.

Frankly, with a little over a month before the convention and both hotels full, there needs to be a professional recourse. This is simply unacceptable, not only from a business standpoint but from a moral standpoint as well.

If there is anything we can do to speed this process along, please let us know. But we require your help more than anything or this entire event will be hampered considerably.
-Amber Berebitsky

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
Re: Frustration with the vendor hall
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 03:29:35 pm »
One of the reasons I go to KumoriCon, aside from seeing all my friends since I live in Washington, is to see the vendor hall. In fact, a majority of my time is spent there. I have watched the forums and tried to get information on what is going on. I got my badge and ordered two others for family to come with me this year. We are scrambling for a hotel room (that's our own fault though) but at this rate I am regretting putting out the money. Moderators have been rude to a lot of forums members and the vendor debacle is making things worse.
If it wasn't for a no-refund policy I would be sending my badge back to get my money. The con isn't worth the money right now and it is a waste to spend it all if things don't change. :/ Plus I don't really find myself wanting to go next year cause of this whole thing.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:16:28 pm »
Blackjack: I really do wish I could tell you more - but unfortunately, I can't. Please keep in mind that the departments I and the other primary moderators work for or run (Publicity, Operations, and Secretary) have no control over Relations.

I've said it to you previously by PM, but it's worth repeating: To my limited knowledge, Relations has been completely tied up with a preplanned long-term project for the past week. As far as I know, with that now resolved, things WILL get straightened out within the next few days. If not, then it will be eminently worthwhile to take this up a level.

~~~

Gryffinclaw: I'm extremely sorry to hear that you feel that the moderators and the exhibitors hall issue have ruined the con experience for you. If it helps, 1) our role as moderators doesn't extend into the con, and 2) you're always welcome to bring your concerns up with a different moderator, the head of Publicity, or even the con Chair himself. Ally and Beau are both great people and good listeners, and they're good at keeping a balanced perspective.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:18:26 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:51:09 pm »
My complaint isn't directed towards the mods of the forum, but for the employees of the convention itself. I emailed the same complaint to not only the exhibitors hall people, but also the chair, the vice-chair, and the relations people.

Believe me, I understand that some people do have limits to what they can viably do in these situations, so it really wasn't directed at you or any other mod. It's an issue that simply needs to be addressed, one that, as you can see, strikes at the very heart of the con. And emails, as has been stated by me and others, go unreplied to, so it has to be stated publically.

Offline Witchaven

• Cabbit
    • Sean's Anime & Other Things
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:15:00 am »
I thought I would go ahead and pipe in here Blackjack.
I was feeling the same way last year with the lack of communication and ended up not going to Kumoricon because noone ever got back with me (regardless of the multiple number of e-mail I sent to various levels.) I was seriously considering writing off Kumori this year until I found out that Teresa was put in charge.
While I do not know all the details on why she was asked to take over Exhibitions, I do know that she got it after Sakura-Con and has been waiting on the contract since.
She used to be a Dealer herself, so she understands the frustrations that we're all going through.
As for reserving a room, what I have done is placed a reservation, and if for whatever reason Kumoricon decides I'm not going to be a vendor then I'll just cancel my reservation and probably write off being a vendor at Kumoricon again.
Sean Kemp
Owner, Sean's Anime & Other Things

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:40:15 pm »
I think there needs to be better communication. WHY is the contract taking so long? All we hear is "we're waiting on our lawyer" but no elaboration.

Did this narrow time happen last year too, with the just-over-a-month-and-counting time frame?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:17:48 pm »
Has there been any word? I really hate pressing about this but it's vitally important.