Author Topic: Can't seem to get excited?!  (Read 8256 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Can't seem to get excited?!
« on: July 23, 2011, 03:30:43 am »
Has anyone ever had a year at Kumoricon to where you just couldn't get excited for it to be coming, for one reason or another? Mine's this year....

Since 2004 when we started going I've always gone with a nice sized group of people, and my sister and I. Nights were the best- all sleep deprived and silly. This year instead of friends going and her and I- it'll be my boyfriend and I, my sister and her boyfriend as a group meeting there... now, while I'm happy my boyfriend's going... none of my friends are... no one to just pal around with. I don't care for my sisters boyfriend and our boyfriends don't really care for each other... so instead of a fun group to hang out with... the energy is going to very muddled and BLAH all throughout the con.... so I just can't seem to be excited on going to this one. I lost my dancing partners too, my fan girl partners...my girlfriends would always go to the dances with me... my boyfriends shy and can't really dance like them. My best friend was the one who got me out of my comfort zone and onto the stage to dance last year... I'm sad.... =(

To top it off I chose a ore simple cosplay this year so instead of worrying and spending hours getting into cosplay I could enjoy the con itself more... but now I wish I had chose something more complex in a way, because I don't feel I'll have as much entertainment.... this sucks... sad... =(

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Can't seem to get excited?!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:00:17 am »
I was struggling to get into "con-mode" myself up until a month or so ago. For me it's almost an uncontrollable natural mood. I can't make myself get excited about the con. It has to just happen on its own, and I was pretty worried that it wouldn't happen this year, but once I jump-started "con-mode" by watching a lot of anime and researching cosplay, looking at cosplay pics, my excitement eventually picked up. Now I'm stoked and can't wait. ^_^

But I definitely know the hollow, unsatisfactory feeling of knowing con is coming up and that you should be excited, but for whatever reason not being. That really stinks about your friends. I know such a big part of Kumoricon is friends and the relationships that allow you to cut loose, but maybe this can be an opportunity for you to make some new connections? I'd encourage you to try to stay active on the forums and connect to as many people as possible. Seeing new friends can be a great way to make Kumoricon an exciting anticipated event (just as much as seeing old ones). And regardless of who you end up going with, I'd encourage you to not go through the con weekend passively (just staying in the hotel room like I've felt like doing when not interested/motivated), but still just get out there. Just being in the con-space can do wonders for excitement and con-mode.

As far as other things to try to jump-start your excitement, immerse yourself in all things otaku, heh. Watch anime (even if you don't really want to...just put it on and let the "consmosis" take effect, haha), maybe visit Uwajimaya with your boyfriend, pick up some iconic snacks like pocky and ramune, watch these videos immediately, and every other day until Kumoricon. They were the magic trick for me really getting excited about Kumo.

The cosplay aspect is unfortunate as that is another thing that really keeps the blood pumping, so to speak, for Kumoricon. Even if you don't have an elaborate costume, I'd still encourage you to look up other costumes. Browse Cosplay.com and see what others are doing and let them inspire you for future years. You may have finished a more simple costume for this year, but you can still plan other costumes you'd like to do for other cons/years. I've found that to be pretty helpful this year. I have plenty of work to keep my busy (too much perhaps, lol), but for the down times when I have nothing to work on, browsing Cosplay.com is a great way of keeping me motivated and interested.

All in all, the lack of excitement sucks, and I'm sorry you're going through it, but I think if you stick around the forums, you should be able to build up that passion again. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:31:01 am »
I watch his videos and it gets me excited for con and it motivates me to work on cosplay.
http://www.youtube.com/user/acksonl

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:29:30 am »
YES! those videos are amazing! Thanks for sharing those earlier on FB, Nikki. I definitely have been enjoying those and didn't know about them.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 10:42:48 am »
I'm not as excited for this years as I have been previously. Its mostly because I have to drive everyday :/. But my friends all have rooms, so I can just ask them if I can store my stuff there. I'm definately gonna have to change when I get there. There's no way I can drive in a ball gown, and I'm not sure if I should drive while painted red XD

Also, i won't have as much money to spend on stuff this year so thats a bummer.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:03:30 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that. It doesn't help to have unenthusiastic roomies. 3: And yes, there have been times when I wouldn't get as excited for Kumo as the previous years. The more cons I've been going to, the less anticipating it gets. But I find that (for me at least) the excitement kicks in the day before or on the official day it begins. This is not only the case for conventions but also trips to DisneyLand and such. I guess that's part of being a regular attendee (or growing up >3<).

As for advice, I agree with what EveofAbyss said about making more connections, as well as immerse yourself in the con atmosphere. I did the latter during Sakuracon when my family and I shared a room and I didn't really have a buddy to wander around with; so I just made the best of it by going at my own pace (thinking about how wonderful it felt to not be in a rush to catch up with someone) and simply enjoy the energy of the hustling and bustling con goers. I also ran into some cool people in the process.
And another thing, it's Kumoricon! There are so many opportunites to have fun and go crazy. You could even encourage your roomies to get into the excitement and possibly bond with each other. Who knows. :3

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 02:08:39 pm »
I, for one, am quite excited, despite my reasons for panic.

I'm worrying about the Charity Auction.
I'm worrying about my cosplay needs.
I might be moving during this time.

I think that's it.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 10:45:12 pm »
My excitement for the con fluctuates by month but when it gets this close to the con, i get super hyped. especially since X-Men First Class comes out on DVD like a week after.

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 09:59:02 am »
I will get excited, then one second I wont be. But I think last year I had a really bad year, I got to the con late cuz our car broke down. Then on the second my grandpa died. (please, no one say sorry, its fine) So I missed every thing I but together. And it was all..... blah.

But as for this year, I am not sure how a feel.

But no matter what I am sure you'll have some fun. And some times simple cosplays are the best. Because eather you don't get hot, if you wanna change it wont take a really long time, ect....
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 09:00:37 pm »
I'm working too hard to get excited, lol. All I have on the mind right now is work.... But I'm sure when the con comes I'll be really excited. I finally was able to convince a non anime person to want to come and even cosplay! So I'm excited for that. Plus anime cons are the only way for me to buy yaoi in person now that borders closed. :(

Offline ocb777

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 01:00:02 am »
I've been having trouble this year too, a shift in my friend circle and almost no one I know is going now. I'd rather have gone to GenCon. Also depressed about Pocky Club not being there this year.

But I'm going, got my Room, got a couple of friends going, so, we will see what happens!

Consistently cosplaying since 2008.

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 01:06:42 am »
I want it to be a good year, my other years haven't been good so I am excited not like i was last year, last year I was dreading it but this year I really want it to be a good con ><

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 08:11:55 am »
There's a lot of pessimistic vibes in the air, I'm sensing, and it is really unfortunate. I'm trying my hardest to stay stoked and not let it ruin my excitement, but you can only have so much mist around a fire before it goes out...

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ocb777

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:53 am »
As far as other things to try to jump-start your excitement, immerse yourself in all things otaku, heh. Watch anime (even if you don't really want to...just put it on and let the "consmosis" take effect, haha), maybe visit Uwajimaya with your boyfriend, pick up some iconic snacks like pocky and ramune, watch these videos immediately, and every other day until Kumoricon. They were the magic trick for me really getting excited about Kumo.

The cosplay aspect is unfortunate as that is another thing that really keeps the blood pumping, so to speak, for Kumoricon. Even if you don't have an elaborate costume, I'd still encourage you to look up other costumes. Browse Cosplay.com and see what others are doing and let them inspire you for future years. You may have finished a more simple costume for this year, but you can still plan other costumes you'd like to do for other cons/years. I've found that to be pretty helpful this year. I have plenty of work to keep my busy (too much perhaps, lol), but for the down times when I have nothing to work on, browsing Cosplay.com is a great way of keeping me motivated and interested.

Part of my problem is I am not your average con-goer Every year I cosplay as "Angry-white-guy" and no one ever truly appreciates it. I get a few chuckles, but that's about it.

I am not a fan of "Naruto", "Bleach", "Death Note", "Pokemon", Miyazaki in fact the closest I get to "mainstream" anime is ".hack" and "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya." I prefer things like "School Days", "Air", "Baka & Test", "Ore No Imouto", "Welcome to the NHK", "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" and others that it seems no one else is watching. So I don't find alot of people who know those, so I don't get to talk a lot of anime.

Actual conversation last year-
Cute Girl: "So whats your favorite Anime?"
Me: "Probably 'Welcome the the NHK."
Cute Girl: "Oh... I haven't seen it."
Me: "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' was beautifully done and the dialogue is very well written."
Cute Girl: "I think I've heard of that..."
Me: "It's really good."
Cute Girl: "Do you like Death Note?"
Me: "Not particularly. What I've seen didn't impress me enough to make me watch more."
Cute Girl: "Oh... Well... I think I see my friends." (Cute Girl runs off)

Obviously, my tastes in Anime are not... popular, so it makes conversation hard.

But, I have been watching more anime no one else at con has seen, and my female friend and I are going to Uwajimiya today, so hopefully I will be more in the mood. once the program comes out I might be more in the mood too as I start planning my weekend.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:48 am »

Part of my problem is I am not your average con-goer Every year I cosplay as "Angry-white-guy" and no one ever truly appreciates it. I get a few chuckles, but that's about it.

I am not a fan of "Naruto", "Bleach", "Death Note", "Pokemon", Miyazaki in fact the closest I get to "mainstream" anime is ".hack" and "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya." I prefer things like "School Days", "Air", "Baka & Test", "Ore No Imouto", "Welcome to the NHK", "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" and others that it seems no one else is watching. So I don't find alot of people who know those, so I don't get to talk a lot of anime.

Me: "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' was beautifully done and the dialogue is very well written."
Me: "Not particularly. What I've seen didn't impress me enough to make me watch more."

Obviously, my tastes in Anime are not... popular, so it makes conversation hard.

But, I have been watching more anime no one else at con has seen, and my female friend and I are going to Uwajimiya today, so hopefully I will be more in the mood. once the program comes out I might be more in the mood too as I start planning my weekend.

I'm more a gamer than an anime enthusiast, so these conversations I think are even harder. Don't try to impress people with your anime knowledge. Just be yourself. It goes a long way. I'm myself at cons, and apparently I'm personable.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 07:57:46 am »
To be honest?  Just don't worry about it.  If you're not excited for the con, don't be.  Artificial enthusiasm usually just leads to disappointment.  Go to con to enjoy what you enjoy and what's real and there, not what you expect to be there because you create these expectations of what it should be.  Try not to get caught up in those expectations and instead just embrace the experience at it comes at you.  My first few conventions were really great experiences because I just kind of exposed myself to this whole world of fandom that I'm not even really into (I'm a gamer; I don't even watch anime) and it just opened up a lot of doors socially.  I think a lot of the magic there came from just diving into the unknown.  Cons should be exhilarating, unpredictable, and unexpected, to some degree.  If it's getting too mundane and trivial, just drop your schedule and go with the flow.  Don't schedule your con down to the minute because then it'll just be exactly what you're expecting it to be without anything exciting having any room to present itself.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 10:47:59 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5kSo_yOfQk&feature=related

Listen to the music. Then you will be ready
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 11:58:41 pm »
I'm having problems myself because I'm under work stress and cosplay stress.
I'm with you though on the fact that I picked "simple" cosplays to take (Kingdom Hearts Organization XIII members), but I'm having to do last minute touch ups x.x I also ordered a new Sora wig for my sister (punky style off Cosworx) and screwed up 3/4 of the way through and had to wash it out 3 days ago OTL;;;;

I was very much in con mode earlier this month, but now I'm so stressed out that I'm not :/

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 03:52:31 am »
I'll just have to remember the early years of Kumoricon when it was just my sister and I... and try reeaalllyyy hard to make sure I know this year and last year are different and try not to compare to last year as last year was just too perfect. Had an amazing cosplay which won a hall award ribbon (Which btw winners STILL have not been announced) had all my crazy friends there, had a flirty attraction start of love connection thing going on between me and my current boyfriend there~ Good times good times. =D I think 2010 is my #1 year.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:53:44 am by kimiski »

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 01:53:10 pm »
This will be the last year my friends and I will be at con together but none of us are looking forward to it.
Things aren't turning out how we had hoped for our final year and it kind of bums us out. In fact, we would have all canceled and just gotten together if we hadn't already put so much money into it. If badged could be refunded, we would have gotten our money back ASAP and done something else that was more worthwhile. :/
I've always been excited until this year. Guess it's just that year that everything seems pointless.

Molly and I decided this is our last Kumo because we don't like how things are run and how we are treated. And Alex is moving to WA for college.
We're all trying to find another con we can go to together like PAX, Saku, or one in Cali. None of us has been to any of those so maybe it is time to expand our horizons and learn about other cons which might bring back the excitement...

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 01:59:30 pm »
That's a bummer, but I'm with you on the desire to branch out. Britt and I have been wanting to familiarize ourselves with the other local cons, not because Kumoricon has wronged us necessarily, but we just want to have more options.

Thankfully, it seems like the con-community is not con-specific (entirely anyway). I do still hope you find this year surprisingly enjoyable. I hope your last year is a blast, and if you've got to go, I hope you go out with fond memories and not bitter ones.  :)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ocb777

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 08:35:02 pm »
If you like Sci-Fi Fantasy my first con WAY back in the dark ages was Orycon... but theres some memories that I can't get past, so I don't go.

This is my last K-Con and I ALMOST didn't go, screw the $40.

But I'm going, and hopefully I will have fun.

Next year? Gencon. ;D

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 08:48:18 pm »
You know, this is my first KumoriCon since 2008, and I have heard some worries, but I am trying to not let that get in the way of my enjoyment.

Maybe the fact that the con is using two different hotels this year may temper things..... but I am ready for this con. :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:48:34 pm by garfieldelric »

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 03:35:41 am »
I still love Kumoricon, but I agree in branching out~ I'm going to try really hard to go to my first every Sakuracon in 2012~ IF I have a job. xD

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 09:30:01 am »
Sakuracon is so much fun! You'll love it. I really like the people there. There are so many, I always make a new friend.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 09:42:59 am »
Yeah, I hope to do SakuraCon next year, as I have never attended. That's probably going to be the next con I go to, but I eventually want to try AkiCon and PAX as well, just to name a few.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18:54 am »
I made this thread so we don't keep going off track here. XP
Branching Out! :: Other Cons & Where to Find Them

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 10:40:31 am »
That was a smart move. Sorry, heh ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Squall

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 07:38:29 pm »

I'm more a gamer than an anime enthusiast, so these conversations I think are even harder. Don't try to impress people with your anime knowledge. Just be yourself. It goes a long way. I'm myself at cons, and apparently I'm personable.
I have to agree with Bressler.  Just be yourself.  :)
I'm honestly not a big anime fan.  I really don't watch that much of it.  I'm not even a big gamer.  I go to have fun hanging out with people and taking part in events and panels of my own as well as friend's panels (such as Bressler's Whose Line is it Anyway).
Just being myself got me into BakaZoku and well known around the conventions.  When I strike up conversations with people at con, most of the time it's not about anime.
I don't get excited for cons like I used to (part of that may be due to getting older lol).  However, I enjoy going and making people laugh and helping them to have a good time, and that makes it worthwhile for me. :)
Brian, formerly of BakaZoku

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 03:02:18 am »
This goes out to mainly girls as my boyfriend would be jealous, lol~ but feel free to grab me to dance if you see me Saturday night~ my best friend who always went to the dances (we're both dance maniacs!!!) isn't going, so I got no one to really "party hard with" .... my boyfriend's not a dancer.... xD Just tell me who you are on the forums xD So I'm not  like... O.O WHO ARE YOU??!!