Author Topic: Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2011  (Read 8072 times)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2011
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:58:37 pm »
EDIT:

Ladies and gentlemen, the 2011 Fanfiction Bedtime Stories will be going down from 8:30pm until 10:30pm on Saturday night in the Cedar Room (Panel 4) at the Vancouver Hilton!  This is a plum location and a prime time slot, and we should all say THANK YOU to Programming for hooking us up with it at the last minute!

So - who's gonna be there, and who's gonna be square?  Who's bringing stories to read, and who's willing to read others' work out loud if they're a little shy?  And since I'm apparently running it this year, if there's anything you've always wanted to see or try at the FFBS, just let me know!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL POST:

--it just occurred to me that, since the Creation Station has been subsumed into general programming, the FBS might not be a "given" event this year.  Is somebody planning them?  Is time allotted somewhere?  I will seriously volunteer to help if necessary to keep them going.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:38:00 am by FilkAeris »

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Re: Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:01:53 am »
I would as well, although I'd have to leave early to get some sleep.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:13:43 am »
The folks likely to know are Audrey & Sandi.
I still run a Bedtime Stories, but I run it as "Erotic Bedtime Stories," 18+, with equal emphasis on original fiction, fanfics, improv, & "true" confessions (performance art in the first person), and I run it at the Creation Station at OryCon. :)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:11:12 am »
....oh, bugger.  I got a rough draft of the schedule yesterday, and there's no sign of the Bedtime Stories on it.  We really did forget to schedule them.  ^^;

I did email the panel folks asking if it's too late,though.  I have no idea if they'll be able to make room, but if they are, who'd be willing to help run the panel?  Mainly it's just sitting in as supervisor, looking out for inappropriate content pre-curfew, manning (womanning?) the signup sheet, and telling people when their time is up.  I'll definitely do some of it if we get approved, but it would be nice to have a little free time just in case.

Offline chibihentaichan

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 06:35:14 pm »
Yeah, so um...we were of the opinion that is someone wanted it to be on the schedule, they would put a panel form. The last few years, there hadn't been as "robust" a turn out as in years past, and things like SSD! have a huge turn out every time. I do have to say I was a little shocked when it wasn't there, but not terribly surprised. After con last year, almost everyone who had it as their "panel" in the last 5 years expressed an disinterest in doing it again. It was a huge time commitment for the people running it, and assured they they weren't going to be getting any sleep on Sunday night. Which made for a long Monday and long drive home.
There was some discussion on putting it on in the middle of the day, but that kind of went away somewhere along the line with everything else that it going on.
Hopefully they'll let it be a last minute addition. ;)
~chibihentaichan~
The littlest pervert on the net
proving to everyone everywhere that size doesn't matter

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 08:47:03 pm »
@ AJ, If the PTB (powers that be) don't let you put it on the schedule, you could perhaps find a spot to render into an impromptu sharing space. I've seen gatherings in corridors & alcoves....the "Random Panel of Doom" got its start, IIRC, adopting an empty panel room....at MEW Con, folks took over the pool.

Another thought -- and it is not my panel, it is only an idea -- is that I saw there is a space on the schedule that is a meetup for people who participated in the fanfic contest. (How is that going, btw? I'm curious whether more, or fewer, authors will end up participating, with the new rules, and earlier deadlines. Best wishes to all who enter!) Anyway, I do not know what is intended for during that meetup, but if its panelists are comfortable with the notion, perhaps attendees could read excerpts from the fics they submitted, to each other.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 05:46:50 am »
*nods*  Actually, I was thinking the same thing - the crazy fun of the early years seems to have been fading out somewhat lately.  This might be the perfect chance to revamp the event a little, if we're allowed to hold it.

One thing I noticed on looking over the pocket guides for the last few years is that the FFBS have been starting a little later and ending a little later every year, and the chunk devoted to adult stories has gotten proportionately bigger compared to the earlier years.  The original bedtime stories ran from 8 or 9pm until midnight or so, right?  Whereas last year they went from 10pm until long past midnight.  I remember a time or two in past years, too, when people started on the mature content before it was time for the mature session to begin...which was super fun for the older/more adventurous attendees, but made some of the younger/shyer ones uncomfortable enough to leave early.

The last thing I want to do is rain on anybody's awesome, spicy parade (Adult SSD for the win!), but teenagers and preteens are the future of fanfiction and some of the most prolific writers, right?  Maybe it would help improve attendance if we scheduled it back to an earlier time slot and devoted a little more time to curfew-safe content, so younger authors could participate more easily.  It would also make things easier for whoever runs the panel, so people wouldn't have to sit up until 2 or 3am supervising.

The hotel this year seems friendlier, too.  Do you think it would be possible to do like we did in the early years and ask if they have extra blankets and pillows for us to use?   ;D

I was also wondering - since most of the panel rooms look like they're filled up pretty snugly - if it might be possible to hold the event in the karaoke room, as long as it stayed no longer than two or three hours, since it /is/ an open-mike impromptu performance event.  Getting up on the actual stage might be too scary for some authors, but we could bring the mike down to a chair on the floor in front of the stage instead, encourage people to sit up close to the front, and try to make things a little cozier.  The amplification would be helpful for shy authors with quiet voices, too.

Just throwing crazy ideas around at this point.  Does any of this sound not completely off the wall?   :-\

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 07:49:53 am »
As always, sweetie, I feel you're spot-on.
I'll talk to you in person about some of what has changed.
Kumoricon, generally, is not the experience it was in the early, totally light-hearted, totally encouraging, totally open, totally non-cliquey, totally newbie-oriented days. Some of that has to do with expanding from 450 to 3500. Some of it is more personalities and priorities....I'll tell you about a bit of a debate in one of the Fanfic 101 panels.... Some aspects of fan creation prog have gotten better -- Mouse's expanded range of crafts, Jeni's Traditional Art Methods, Jeni & Taco including online RPGs as a form of fan writing,  the ongoing vitality and popularity of Audrey & Sandi's SSD! & SFAH & their adult versions. Some of the most fun I've had at KC was actually 2 years ago at Adult SSD! (I ended up playing Jerry Springer....long story ;) ). Another was my Beta Reading: The Art, The Science, The Sheer Glee! panel last year, wherein a very young fanficcer thanked me profusely, having met her beta at my panel the prior year. I actually teared up a little & said "On that, I can retire ;) ."

Let's just say I love your ideas, & I think they'd be fun to enact. It's probable there'd be more open space in the second hotel....just a guess. I'm running only 2 panels this year, & they're both in the early afternoon. I'll likely be commuting home for cat care & sleep, after whatever I'm doing for Publicity, at least one night; but if you want to really make this happen, officially or wherever there's spontaneous space, I'll try to stay & help. If nothing else I have a few Doctor Who & Supernatural filks I haven't performed yet :)

Oh, and you're more than welcome at Erotic Bedtime Stories at OryCon's Creation Station, Fri 11/11/11 at 11 (couldn't be easier to remember).
Love you tons, FFBS Co-mama!
Rem.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:56:16 am by RemSaverem »

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:46 am »
*grins* Actually, that filking workshop got approved, so you'll have a mike and a crowd if you want to perform your filks there.   ;)

(Also, apropos of nothing, did you know that the Takarazuka Theater is debuting an all-female drag adaptation of Ocean's Eleven on 11/11/11?)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »
OMG that's awesome. Always wanted to see them, since Professor Toni Levi's first "Yaoi, Zowie! I Think They're Gay!" panel at Creation Station....

OOH! When! As long as your panels are not concurrent with my own (1-3 Sun, 2-3:30 Mon), they're my next highest priority! :)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 06:40:35 pm »
All right, ladies and gentlemen, I heard back from Programming and they said they might be able to squeeze us in for an hour or two - which is a darn sight better than a weeks-late application should probably be getting, so huzzah for that!   ;D

I'm filling out a panel application form and I'd like to have it sent by tomorrow, but I'm gonna need the lowdown from you all.  Who's free to help sit in and supervise a 1-to-2-hour-long FFBS event?  I'm obviously gonna be there, but it's always nice when you're not the sole person in charge, so anybody willing to step up and help would be much appreciated...and I'll have just come back from Japan, so there might be some fancy imported Pocky involved to sweeten the deal for any volunteers.

Who's with me?   ;)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 10:01:40 am »
All right, ladies and gentlemen, I heard back from Programming and they said they might be able to squeeze us in for an hour or two - which is a darn sight better than a weeks-late application should probably be getting, so huzzah for that!   ;D

I'm filling out a panel application form and I'd like to have it sent by tomorrow, but I'm gonna need the lowdown from you all.  Who's free to help sit in and supervise a 1-to-2-hour-long FFBS event?  I'm obviously gonna be there, but it's always nice when you're not the sole person in charge, so anybody willing to step up and help would be much appreciated...and I'll have just come back from Japan, so there might be some fancy imported Pocky involved to sweeten the deal for any volunteers.

Who's with me?   ;)

When do you have in mind?
If it would not be during my panels (Sunday, 1-3; Monday, 2-3:30), and would be at least a half hour before either or after the Sunday panel, I could help.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »
Well, I didn't actually get to choose the time slot (beggars can't be choosers), but Kyo still snagged us a pretty plum one.  The FFBS will run this year from 8:30pm until 10:30pm on Saturday night.

(And yes, that's official!   ;D)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 12:46:08 am »
Well, I didn't actually get to choose the time slot (beggars can't be choosers), but Kyo still snagged us a pretty plum one.  The FFBS will run this year from 8:30pm until 10:30pm on Saturday night.

(And yes, that's official!   ;D)

Sounds fantastic, love.
Where shall I meet you? Do you know in which hotel, and which room therein, yet? How early would you like help to set up?

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 05:38:59 am »
I edited the first post in this thread to reflect the updated information about the panel.   ;D

Also, since we only have two hours this year, I'm thinking if we get a lot of participants, it might work to limit readers to five minutes and put a board up for all authors to write their contact information...so the audience can find their work for a TO BE CONTINUED...!  What do you guys think of that idea?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 04:05:41 pm »
Anything that facilitates networking amongst authors, and between authors and betas, is a great thing!

I'll be there, and will bring something of my own to either read or sing, and, as always, will gladly read or potentially even sing, others' work.

I'm even up for joining in, if anyone is looking for folks to cosplay their fanworks as fanfic theatre.

Given the timing, are we sticking to PG-13? I'm fine with that.

If we do get in the Con Book (see my PM), the idea of having time limits might come into play, at least for people reading excerpts from multi-chapter works. However, if we're not in the Con Book, and need to recruit additional people and/or works, we could overtly open to works of original fiction. Just a thought.

Offline Spifferiffic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 12:22:57 am »
I had a blast at last year's FFBS, so I'd love to attend again this year. I'm willing to read for the shy, if volunteers should be needed.

I'm thinking of reading a bit of my piece that won for Comedy last year, "Sanji's Spinner." Since I have permission to commandeer the actual spinner of inspiration, maybe I'll just let a couple people spin and read the associated story segment so I know I won't go over time...

I think the contact information idea is a great one, too.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 04:33:43 pm »
That would be wonderful. I love that fic! :D

I had a blast at last year's FFBS, so I'd love to attend again this year. I'm willing to read for the shy, if volunteers should be needed.

I'm thinking of reading a bit of my piece that won for Comedy last year, "Sanji's Spinner." Since I have permission to commandeer the actual spinner of inspiration, maybe I'll just let a couple people spin and read the associated story segment so I know I won't go over time...

I think the contact information idea is a great one, too.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 11:34:45 pm »
I'll be there. Since it's on a Saturday night I can manage it. Sunday night I have to turn in early.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 02:24:14 pm »
AFAIK, IIRC, this is the first time FFBS will be on the first night of con, instead of the middle night. Spread the word!
I'll be there. Since it's on a Saturday night I can manage it. Sunday night I have to turn in early.

Offline Spifferiffic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 08:42:53 pm »
Well, I can't seem to find the spinner... (Sad day!) I think I'll still let the audience pick a couple story parts, either by character or spinner section, though. It just won't be as random...

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:12 pm »
Well...you could roll a pair o'dice!   ;D  That would preserve at least some of the random, if not the actual spinning, yes?  You could even spin them in a cup before throwing them!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »
Cute idea :D

I'm bringing a few things....Excited....

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 02:12:53 am »
We had a fantastic time, with 46 people attending, very warm & welcoming & supportive atmosphere, and even keeping to 5 minutes apiece, several folks still waiting to read at the end of 2 hours (and this was just the PG-13 material). Special thanks to FilkAeris & Jaki for collaborating to get this through after it hadn't been on the schedule. Helping FilkAeris run it again truly felt like a homecoming, and most of the folks there were there for their first time.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »
I decided to take this year off but I may have someone read more of my work next year.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.