Author Topic: Restaurants around the hotels 2011  (Read 5112 times)

Offline XxBelovedxSoubixX

• Sailor Scout
Restaurants around the hotels 2011
« on: July 17, 2011, 06:13:32 pm »
Hey, I was wondering what restaurants are around the hotels this year that people know of?

I'm just curious of where I can go to eat.  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:14:12 pm by XxBelovedxSoubixX »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Restaurants around the hotels 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:34:14 pm »
You should come to con 3 weeks early. We are going to go around the area to get familiar with it plus it gives you a chance to get to know people. http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=15446.0

Also there will be a food map in the con guide.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:08:50 pm »
That's not really an option for me. Though I was planning to wonder around the day before to see what there was. :)

I know about the map, I was more hopping to get some restaurant idea's from people who have been there before that they liked.

I knew the last location pretty well, but I've never really been up at the current location long enough to have to find a good place to eat.

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:20:53 pm »
really bebe? I was thinkin we might go? it'd be fun :3
Kumoricon 2012: Princess Bubblegum.. 90%.. I just need to style my wig XC

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:08:36 am »
Maybe we can. It's not that I don't want to it's the ride issue and the timing.

Still!! I want peoples opinions! Places to stay away from, places they like. It's all good!
I want's the dirt on the foods.

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:28 am »
yeahI bet mom would go with us :D

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 12:13:36 am »
i know there is a mall next to the con and a subway.

Offline LigerZeroLindsey

• Sailor Scout
    • Liger Zero Lindsey's Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:45:32 am »
I was also wondering about this, I have never been to Vancouver before so I am interested in the map~
2013 Costumes:
Liger Zero Panzer
Kuhori the Wolf
Tang the Fusky
Okami Amaterasu

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 10:01:28 am »
http://maps.google.com/

Put in the hotel address and search for near by food, there is a subway and quizno (not positive because it didn't show up last time I check quiznos locations)  there is a breakfast buffet at red lion
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »
If you have a smartphone, I highly recommend the foursquare app (it's on six different smartphone platforms). It is such an infinitely better concept than directory listings like Yelp or Google Maps, which depend on user "reviews"--who can make heads or tails of the slew of 1- and 5-star reviews for every restaurant based on isolated anecdotes of bad service that can happen to even the best of restaurants? Foursquare is based on popularity from what people do (how many times they check in to a restaurant over time), not what they say.

You can set a small radius, like 1/4 mile, or 1/2 mile, and it will show every tiny little hidden restaurant around where you're standing sorted by actual popularity.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:20:48 am »
^ Ahhhhh, so that was the purpose of the app. *facepalm* :) I thought it might just be for geotagging, which is why I was asking about it the other day on the way back from Salem.

It does sound like an incredibly neat concept, and I'd agree about anecdotes being a poor substitute for data. It might even help reduce the chain-ization of America, because the biggest problem mom-and-pop places face has been that people would rather accept the mediocre "known" than the possibly-great, possibly-awful "unknown".

~~

Heads-up: We've also got staff who have taken on the task of finding all the places to eat in the area, so even those of us with dinosaur phones can figure out where to go. Check the program book at con, because they'll have a list and a map for people to use.

(And if you ask me, they deserve a round of applause if they're willing to take credit. ;))
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 12:45:27 pm »
I will search. Unfortunately I don't have a smart phone so I can't do the app thing.

Yay mall. Food courts are always good.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:35:01 pm »
In vancouver, downtown like right around the block from the con, there is a tiny strip mall like thing. Theres a subway, mcdonalds, and then a starbucks. BUT! if you dont mind walking around downtown, there are tons of places to eat. Plus, there is a few sushi places if you dont mind leaving the con and riding the bus around. If you want, text me and I can walk around downtown sometime next week taking pics of places to eat around the hotel lol Plus, since its at two hotels this year, you should be able to find places to eat inside the hotels.

Text me if you want ^-^ Im Kaitlynne

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 02:37:59 pm »
wow, that's really sweet of you^^

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 02:44:58 pm »
I seem to remember a nice restaurant in the hilton, little pricey but tasty steak, and some times you need a decent meal during con.

Also doesn't hurt to buy a few easy food things to bring to con and snack on.  Which would you rather, paying a $1 for an apple at a coffee place, or $1 for a pound of apples?

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 02:47:30 pm »
we ALWAYS bring a **** ton of food lol but we need a hot meal some times^^ (I'm beloved's gf)

(Removed inappropriate content per forum code of conduct.  Sorry, but masking only one letter doesn't really count. ~randompvg)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:56:09 pm by randompvg »

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 11:22:52 pm »
@TalaRedWolf33: O.O No that's okay. I don't want you to go through all that trouble. Thank you though, your very kind. But I am interested in the sushi places. Do you have a favorite?

@superjaz: We bring snacks and all that good stuff. We usually bring a thing of Costco muffins and juice and some healthy stuff to keep us going.  Just haling 3 days worth of meals isn't exactly ideal. Maybe this one will have a restaurant too. I didn't go the last couple times but I don't see why they wouldn't have good food.^^

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 01:17:11 am »
In vancouver, downtown like right around the block from the con, there is a tiny strip mall like thing. Theres a subway, mcdonalds, and then a starbucks. BUT! if you dont mind walking around downtown, there are tons of places to eat. Plus, there is a few sushi places if you dont mind leaving the con and riding the bus around. If you want, text me and I can walk around downtown sometime next week taking pics of places to eat around the hotel lol Plus, since its at two hotels this year, you should be able to find places to eat inside the hotels.

Text me if you want ^-^ Im Kaitlynne

The McDonald's is gone now; sorry.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Neku

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 10:47:19 pm »
The quiznos is gone too, but it was replaced by a sandwich shop/deli... called the sandwich box ( i think) but i dont know if they will be open by con. :P

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 01:02:23 am »
Based off of how things looked inside last week, I doubt they will...

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 07:26:14 am »
Maybe this one will have a restaurant too. I didn't go the last couple times but I don't see why they wouldn't have good food.^^

I am talking about this Hilton.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:08 am »
Heh, trouble? I have no life dear lol That would be the highlight of my week if anything.
My favorite is Mio Sushi but that one isnt too close to the hotel, but still in town.
Also though, Sushi Hanah (sp?) is really cheap and really good, and I heard its downtown somewhere.

@TalaRedWolf33: O.O No that's okay. I don't want you to go through all that trouble. Thank you though, your very kind. But I am interested in the sushi places. Do you have a favorite?

@superjaz: We bring snacks and all that good stuff. We usually bring a thing of Costco muffins and juice and some healthy stuff to keep us going.  Just haling 3 days worth of meals isn't exactly ideal. Maybe this one will have a restaurant too. I didn't go the last couple times but I don't see why they wouldn't have good food.^^

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 11:54:59 am »
Oh okay. You're really sweet. That would be awesome. :D

Heh, trouble? I have no life dear lol That would be the highlight of my week if anything.
My favorite is Mio Sushi but that one isnt too close to the hotel, but still in town.
Also though, Sushi Hanah (sp?) is really cheap and really good, and I heard its downtown somewhere.

Offline 7bijou7

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 04:54:33 pm »
I think the farmers market will still be going on when Kumoricon starts, theres one thats like right next to the park/on the other side of the park from the Hilton, they have alot of vendors, fruits and food stalls. If thats not your suit theres the places around the park, I remember a think it was chinese resturant, called tiger garden, don't know if its stil there or the prices are good. Haven't been there in years, I live in Vancouver, and like most people said, you just gotta walk a ways, theres a delicious local Ice cream shop several blocks up on mainstreet called Ice cream renaissance(ICR) and a soda shop right by it called pop culture. Both really good places to cool down and take some time to rest and sit down. I live in Vancouver like 5 minutes away from the location, so I know some places, and if you have questions feel free to ask~
Planned Cosplays for Kumo 2015:
BB Hood - Darkstalkers
Umi Sonoda (Yume no Tobira ver.) - Love Live!
Bunny Maid TV Head - Original
Princess Bubblegum (Tart Dress) - Adventure Time

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 06:02:31 pm »
It will, on both Saturday and Sunday.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 10:56:20 pm »
I think the farmers market will still be going on when Kumoricon starts, theres one thats like right next to the park/on the other side of the park from the Hilton, they have alot of vendors, fruits and food stalls. If thats not your suit theres the places around the park, I remember a think it was chinese resturant, called tiger garden, don't know if its stil there or the prices are good. Haven't been there in years, I live in Vancouver, and like most people said, you just gotta walk a ways, theres a delicious local Ice cream shop several blocks up on mainstreet called Ice cream renaissance(ICR) and a soda shop right by it called pop culture. Both really good places to cool down and take some time to rest and sit down. I live in Vancouver like 5 minutes away from the location, so I know some places, and if you have questions feel free to ask~

Sweet! I love farmers markets :3 and the ice cream place sounds good @.@ I found its website a couple days ago and was planning on going.
Thank you for your replay. :)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 10:42:52 am »
Yay! So, for everyone, so that Im not playing favorites lol I will go take some pics of the area (for those of you guys who arent local and such) and post them up soon. Should we start a new thread for it?

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 04:19:46 pm »
Yay! So, for everyone, so that Im not playing favorites lol I will go take some pics of the area (for those of you guys who arent local and such) and post them up soon. Should we start a new thread for it?
That would probley be best so that everyone can see it. :3

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 10:23:57 pm »

There are two Sushi Hana in Vancouver, and neither are in downtown.  One of them is near the Vancouver Mall (take #4) and the other is on Mill Plain & 136th (take #37).

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 06:58:31 pm »
I found Thai Orchid and sushi bar within .4 miles of the Hilton.
It's on 1004 Washington Street. :3
We were planing to check it out cause there website says they have a happy hour where the sushi menu is half off between 3-6.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 10:07:19 pm »
Thai Orchid rocks!  It gets 5 stars from me!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 10:58:58 pm »
Is that the Thai place on the other side of the park? If so YES YES YES.

I'm confused where the mall is people say is right next to the con. There's two parks, north and south, then side to side there's businesses.

Near the Red Lion there's a Crab Shack and a Mexican place whose name escapes me. There's also the place inside the Red Lion but it's really pricy.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 07:02:54 am »
- Thai Orchid is a few blocks North, then a block East (Washington St. & Evergreen Blvd.).  You might be thinking of Tiger's Garden. 
- If by "the mall" you're referring to Vancouver Mall, it's nowhere near downtown, but the bus needed to take you there has stops in downtown.  The closest one to the con site is on Broadway Street between 6th and 7th.
- The crab shack is called "Joe's Crab Shack" and the Mexican place is "Who Song & Larry's."

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 12:01:38 pm »
That's what I mean, I'm not sure why people say that there's a mall "right next to" the con site.

Ah yes, Tiger's Garden. Very tasty, very close by.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:51 am »
...I have no idea why people would be saying that there's one there.

I've only eaten there once; it wasn't bad, but the sake was great.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 12:58:30 am »
I'm glad people like Thai Orchid >w< Now I'm excited to go.

I've been told there is a small strip mall near.
I think people are forgetting the important detail that a strip mall is entirely different from a mall when they are describing it to people. >o<

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 01:06:47 am »
I suppose that could be the case; not I'm trying to figure out what strip mall they're talking about... perhaps the area where Tiger's Garden is at...?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 02:25:30 pm »
Yeah, I can't think of any strip malls around either.