Author Topic: NO skills I've seen at SoulCal 2...... ; ;  (Read 20453 times)

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
NO skills I've seen at SoulCal 2...... ; ;
« on: September 04, 2005, 05:52:34 am »
Um...... I haven't seen real skills..... (WHORES!) Combo whores.....
>.> Lame

Oh well Naruto 3 is gonna be fun....
How many Orochimaru's are going to be there?

Where's the Dig Dug tournament at?!
TELL ME!?

Peace~

Meow?

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 09:26:04 am »
Im sorry that you suck at SC2.  SC2 is about whoring the same move and doing the best combo off of the poke that connects, then running around for awhile blocking.  WELCOME TO THE GAME I **** HATE ARGH.
where over half the moves get neutralized by sidestep, you can glitch sidestep and block instantly out of 8 way run, and not many people have good quick lows besides mitsu... the game becomes a turtle fest of whoring out the same 3-4 moves, not fancy combos...

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 09:26:43 am »
whoops, didnt login, that was me, laaa.
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline Dan the MAN Hibiki

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 11:31:24 pm »
Im sorry that you suck at SC2. SC2 is about whoring the same move and doing the best combo off of the poke that connects, then running around for awhile blocking. WELCOME TO THE GAME I **** HATE ARGH.

You just roughly described every fighting game out there. You just hate it in theory. :P
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 03:05:39 am »
Quote from: "Dan the MAN Hibiki"
Im sorry that you suck at SC2. SC2 is about whoring the same move and doing the best combo off of the poke that connects, then running around for awhile blocking. WELCOME TO THE GAME I **** HATE ARGH.

You just roughly described every fighting game out there. You just hate it in theory. :P

Dan has a good point. You just described what can amount to a very wide variety of tactics.

The oly thing I'd add is that a single character's "best move" may vary wildly according to how close the "connecting poke" leaves them. Characters like Seung Mina and Talim need to have a constant understanding of which moves will reach far enough.

Quote from: "Hellsap"
the game becomes a turtle fest of whoring out the same 3-4 moves, not fancy combos...

Personally, I hate fighting games where the only goal is fancy pre-made combos. That's why I only play Soul Calibur.

As for "turtling," my first instinct is to say "use more low attacks and branching combos," but... I can't assume you have a problem with that if I'm not watching you play right then and there, can I?

TheJew:

I remember your nickname being called out during the tournament, but I can't place it with a face (It would help if I heard what character you play, since most of us spent more time watching the screen than eachother). Did I play you in the tourney?
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Sesari

• Cabbit
    • http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=sesari
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 12:08:11 pm »
I expressed my general disdain for combo whores pretty audibly during the tournament, after which the person I yelled at just started doing a lot of throwing.

At least it was a decent change of pace, I guess.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 12:30:13 pm »
Quote from: "Sesari"
I expressed my general disdain for combo whores pretty audibly during the tournament, after which the person I yelled at just started doing a lot of throwing.

At least it was a decent change of pace, I guess.

Combo whores in sc2?

... Are you kidding?

Offline Sesari

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 01:21:38 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Combo whores in sc2?

... Are you kidding?

Surprise!  :o

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 01:26:14 pm »
... Combo whore? Since when is frequently connecting with combos anything but a good use of the character?
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline Sesari

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 01:48:56 pm »
... Combo whore? Since when is frequently connecting with combos anything but a good use of the character?

When it's the same combo over and over and over again, it crosses the line from 'good use' into 'cheap and boring'.

Variety is your friend, people! Nobody wants to watch Ivy do the same spin move with her whip-thingy eighteen times until Voldo falls down and doesn't get back up again. That's just lame and far from entertaining in any way possible.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 02:34:20 pm »
Throws beat turtlers. Turtlers beat combo whores. Combo whores beat throwers. It's the circle of life. :P

Quote from: "Sesari"
When it's the same combo over and over and over again, it crosses the line from 'good use' into 'cheap and boring'.

Variety is your friend, people! Nobody wants to watch Ivy do the same spin move with her whip-thingy eighteen times until Voldo falls down and doesn't get back up again. That's just lame and far from entertaining in any way possible.

Judging from the frequency of cheers and "Ohh!!" sounds from the crowd during various matches I played in, how entertaining a match became depended more on how close the match was than what the characters were doing. *shrug*

Also, if the same move works 18 times in a row, it's usually because the defending player needs to learn how to counter it. That goes for me, too: I let that Mitsurugi player connect too many times with that cheesy kick followed with a rising vertical. But hey, I need more practice against human players. :P Too bad I can't play SC2 with you guys everyday.

Apollo Justice

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 02:55:06 pm »
yeah, mitsu actually has a good low.
I was doing that sweep to rising verticle because I was doing kb2 incorrectly, which is apparently something you can scrub out by frequently doing since it gives advantage on block.
So instead of doing that frame trap (which I cant followup) I only got random pokes.  Squeezed out 3rd in a game I dont necessarily jump at the opportunity to play nowadays...
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 12:30:35 am »
I played  Maxi and though I do kind of suck at SC2 watching someone with Raphaelpull that stupid 3-hit combo every 3 seconds doesn't make a round very exciting >.>

The crowd cheered for maxi even though I got owned lol
I was happy

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 12:58:02 pm »
I played Maxi and though I do kind of suck at SC2 watching someone with Raphaelpull that stupid 3-hit combo every 3 seconds doesn't make a round very exciting >.>

No, but side stepping it and getting a flashy backthrow on his newbie butt does. ^_^
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/mushoku
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 09:26:08 pm »
Hurray for playing as assassin, and not playing since kumoricon last year!!
Bamboo + Cellphone...I see possibilities....

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 10:48:30 am »
hmm if i would have played at this years k con maybe i would have done even better!

im the guy who yelled out at last years con" thats who you play the game of golf"!
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Ghudda

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 06:04:25 am »
I lost to a true combo whore, did nothing but sidestep, a single very damaging combo, and the same grab.  Slain by the same two moves every single match.
Hello Kumoricon.  Does your congoer look like me? no, Can he smell like he's me? yes.  Can I offer you some Old Spice body spray?  no, I didn't mean that as an insult, I just respect the air more than you.

The Last of the Goggle Squad

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 11:15:29 am »
Wow thats lame........

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 12:32:46 pm »
wow ghudda that sucks monkey liver

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 09:51:52 pm »
I lost to a true combo whore, did nothing but sidestep, a single very damaging combo, and the same grab. Slain by the same two moves every single match.

So, what you're saying is, you lost to someone who used simple tactics you couldn't defend against?
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline Dark-hobo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 02:13:40 pm »
There are a few combos that you cannot defend against. Don't question Ghuddas skills. He is the ONLY person I have EVER seen that is good with heihachi in soul cal. And he was one of the few people who used a unique character in the soul cal tourny too. All the rest used kilik, raphael, mitsu, and nightmare. There were just a few who used other chars.

" We must run from this... this hobo, this hobo that is dark" - General Volgun "The hobo Hunter" Opwusa

-goggle squad member

Put your hands on your hi

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 02:25:46 pm »
yeah both hobo and ghudda are very good at soul cal so yeah

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 06:00:16 pm »
I lost to Rapheal......

But I don't care....

Ghudda is an awsome person, I shall never question his skills.....

Offline Ghudda

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 06:37:59 pm »
Heihachi being banned really sucked.  And the reason they banned him was just stupid.  Apparently because Heihachi is console specific and some people from the sc2 from gc and xbox haven't gotten used to playing against him, but wait, isn't the controller also console specific...
Hello Kumoricon.  Does your congoer look like me? no, Can he smell like he's me? yes.  Can I offer you some Old Spice body spray?  no, I didn't mean that as an insult, I just respect the air more than you.

The Last of the Goggle Squad

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 07:53:55 pm »
NO the controller is nothing.... Why would a controller be console specific?
Perhaps they should host the Tournament on all consoles.

Offline Dark-hobo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 12:01:38 am »
Quote from: "Ghudda"
Heihachi being banned really sucked.  And the reason they banned him was just stupid.  Apparently because Heihachi is console specific and some people from the sc2 from gc and xbox haven't gotten used to playing against him, but wait, isn't the controller also console specific...

Yeah that was just stupid. I was kind of pissed at that. If the person played only the GC or sex-box version I think that playing against an unfamiliar character would be the least of your worries when you count the whole CONTROLLER thing.

" We must run from this... this hobo, this hobo that is dark" - General Volgun "The hobo Hunter" Opwusa

-goggle squad member

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2005, 11:56:04 am »
yeah yeah anyways people just need to stop complaning

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2005, 10:12:44 am »
There are a few combos that you cannot defend against.

Like what?
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2005, 04:45:26 pm »
Quote from: "Dark-hobo"
There are a few combos that you cannot defend against. Don't question Ghuddas skills. He is the ONLY person I have EVER seen that is good with heihachi in soul cal. And he was one of the few people who used a unique character in the soul cal tourny too. All the rest used kilik, raphael, mitsu, and nightmare. There were just a few who used other chars.

I use Talim and Seung Mina, and won with them. :P None of my characters are on your list.

The 2nd placer used Ivy. Don't know his alternate; I think he stuck with one character throughout our match.

As for unique characters, I kick butt with Link, too, but I've never asked nor even wanted to use him in a tournament.

Quote from: "Dark-hobo"
Yeah that was just stupid. I was kind of pissed at that. If the person played only the GC or sex-box version I think that playing against an unfamiliar character would be the least of your worries when you count the whole CONTROLLER thing.

Controllers didn't bother me. I would have preferred to use my old school digital-output-only GC controller (originally intended for the GBA player), but I did without.

The only major difference between controllers in SC2 is Gamecube vs. not-Gamecube. The PS2 and XBox controllers are very similar. Having practiced on a Dreamcast controller at some point in the past was enough to help me adjust to PS2.

Knowing your enemy's tactics is FAR more important than the controller. That's because getting decently adjusted to a new controller can be done in just a few days, or maybe even an hour if you're quick to catch on. Learning whether a character's combo can switch-hit into a low attack, or cancel into a stance change, or extend into an unblockable will determine who wins a match, and it's something you can only learn effectively through trial and error.

Ask any of the previous Kumori Con SC2 champions and I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing.

Apollo Justice

Offline Dark-hobo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2005, 11:38:42 pm »
seeing as how the uber players are the minority I really don't think they should have the final say. And the only people that matters to are uber players, and well I stated this already but you are the minoirty and should not have the final say. Besides ITS HEIHACHI! He really isn't a threat to someone who is actually good.

-goggle squad member

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2005, 02:31:26 pm »
well i played in the k con 04 tourn and i did  pretty good i didnt cheese anything so yeah and i am not that good

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2005, 01:11:11 pm »
seeing as how the uber players are the minority I really don't think they should have the final say. And the only people that matters to are uber players, and well I stated this already but you are the minoirty and should not have the final say. Besides ITS HEIHACHI! He really isn't a threat to someone who is actually good.

No, it would also matter to the more casual players. So, you want to use Heihachi? Well, what if someone wants to use Link? We had all the different console versions at K-Con, so should we have stopped the tourney everytime someone wanted to use Spawn or Link? And what if players of console-specific characters had to play each other in the tourney? It gets messy; that's why Heihachi, Link, and Spawn are banned from tourney play. Additionally, most fighting game tourneys ban characters not found in the arcade release. That's why Berserker, Assassin, and Lizard-Man are also banned from most tourneys. (Aside from Lizard-Man being broken as hell.)

Also, Heihachi IS a threat to someone that's good. He's very fast, has high damage potential, and doesn't have a hard time getting in on people.
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2005, 08:24:46 am »
honestly who likes spawn?

• Cabbit
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2005, 07:54:53 pm »
honestly who likes spawn?

Your MOM likes Spawn!
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline Dark-hobo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2005, 09:05:51 pm »
hey man those tentacles... they are good.

-goggle squad member

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2005, 07:49:07 am »
spawn is too powerful, hes like necrid, just if the flame pillars were unblockable... and if he could float in the air and do them instead of sitting around on the ground... oh yeah, good ****.
link - I think he has a retardedly long combo/infinite, oh well. It's gamecube.  Get a gc->ps2 adapter, or xbox->ps2 adapter, cause GC has no support for anything converter-like for other consoles.
Heihachi - I hear he has his 10hits once youre activated soul charge fully, and I think he has some ring out combos. Probably the most balanced, but I cant let him be played due to the console-specificness.
Sorry about that, but you should have read the rules and adjusted beforehand.
Also to that guy that complained about doing 1 or 2 moves, then running away, then throwing - thats all I did.  Of course, Welcome to what SC2 turns into.  Except I suck.

SC3 in like, 3 weeks, so everyone can quit bitching about SC2 and hopefully enjoy 3.  For all of those with a gamecube/xbox, well, youre SOL.  GJ picking the "right" systems there, guys.

• Cabbit
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2005, 09:49:31 am »
spawn is too powerful, hes like necrid, just if the flame pillars were unblockable... and if he could float in the air and do them instead of sitting around on the ground... oh yeah, good ****.
link - I think he has a retardedly long combo/infinite, oh well. It's gamecube. Get a gc->ps2 adapter, or xbox->ps2 adapter, cause GC has no support for anything converter-like for other consoles.
Heihachi - I hear he has his 10hits once youre activated soul charge fully, and I think he has some ring out combos. Probably the most balanced, but I cant let him be played due to the console-specificness.

... ?! Spawn is mid-tier at best. His pressure tools leave a little to be desired, and too many of his mix-ups are built in. He can't do much custom chaining, which makes him a rather predictable character once players are used to him. He's got beefy damage and good range, but it's an uphill battle trying to break down an opponent's defenses.

Link just sucks to high heaven. He has no infinite, nor does anyone in SC2. His stances are terrible, most of his moveset is poor, and his best shot at victory is ring out.

Heihachi is the BEST out of the console exclusive characters. He's probably top-tier, but nobody puts the time into learning him at high-levels because he's banned from tourneys. And ten strings are about as useful as they are in Tekken; fine until people start parrying them.

Also to that guy that complained about doing 1 or 2 moves, then running away, then throwing - thats all I did. Of course, Welcome to what SC2 turns into. Except I suck.

http://sc.relaxism.com/
Stop getting your SC2 info off of SRK.
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline Dark-hobo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2005, 02:31:23 pm »

Link just sucks to high heaven. He has no infinite, nor does anyone in SC2. His stances are terrible, most of his moveset is poor, and his best shot at victory is ring out.

wow... um you are wrong again! Link does have an infinite combo it is just semi-hard to execute.

-goggle squad member

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2005, 03:34:31 pm »
yeah link can kick some major ass

• Cabbit
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2005, 05:06:32 pm »
wow... um you are wrong again! Link does have an infinite combo it is just semi-hard to execute.

How do you do it?
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline Dark-hobo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2005, 08:58:19 pm »
do not play cube version so I do not know how to do it. I have seen it done and Ghudda knows how to do it.

-goggle squad member

• Cabbit
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2005, 09:07:13 pm »
Can you at least describe the moves in it?
OYAJIIII!!!

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2005, 10:36:12 pm »
I got 5th place in the Kumoricon 2004 tournament with Link.  Link has awesome ring-out moves :), and the boomerang can prove to be Link's MVW (Most Valuable Weapon) and crowd-raiser when going up against an Ivy and both characters have practically NO health left....Ahhh...good times.

Link rules as my cheeser character :) :)
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2005, 08:25:41 am »
dane has spoken lol!
I got 5th place in the Kumoricon 2004 tournament with Link. Link has awesome ring-out moves , and the boomerang can prove to be Link's MVW (Most Valuable Weapon) and crowd-raiser when going up against an Ivy and both characters have practically NO health left....Ahhh...good times.

Link rules as my cheeser character  

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2005, 10:38:16 am »
I dunno, Spawn seemed to pwn pretty easily.  Though I do think I've heard of Hei being the worst, Ive heard just as many bad things about the other characters.   And Dan - theres no real infinites, yeah, just big combos and easy ring outs.

And whats wrong with srk?! you didnt even post a link to a better source for sc2 info, just match vids.

Either way, its all a moot point in 2 weeks.
Time will tell if custom characters will be allowed or not...

Anonymous

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2005, 10:49:19 am »
And whats wrong with srk?! you didnt even post a link to a better source for sc2 info, just match vids.

http://www.soulcalibur.com

I posted the vid link so you could see that the game is about more then just whoring 2-3 moves.

What's wrong with SRK is that most of those guys don't play SCII; they just whine about what they think is broken in the game (From my experience). Step-G and 2G didn't really break the game; it gave you stupid defensive options, but 2G affected mainly post-GI games, and Step-G didn't stop even Raphael from being competitive. They aren't nearly as bad as they are given credit for.

Besides, you think Nightmare is broken, so you need new info. :P[/url]

• Cabbit
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2005, 10:50:32 am »
-_-; That last post was me. Way to not log in.
OYAJIIII!!!