Author Topic: Puppeteering Advice  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
Puppeteering Advice
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:07:32 am »
Alright, so I recently finished playing Portal 2, and I have deemed it a necessary to cosplay this little bugger as opposed to pulling out a shirt and some pants and saying I'm Scott Pilgrim. :P

However, being that he's not human and that I prefer my cosplays to be literal, I'm going to have to rig up a puppet for this adventure... This isn't exactly easy, so I want to ask for advice from anyone here on the forums based on my current idea. It's basically multiple layers of paper mache with some clever tricks tossed in for reality. It's based around a hollow magnetic black sphere with a hole cut in the back for the puppeteering arm and a smaller hole in the front for the eye. The eye is a plastic blue headlight sort of thing with magnets on the back and a rod extending backwards through the front hole. The magnets stick to the black sphere and using the rod from the back, the eye can be moved within a limited area and even pushed forward with a little effort. On top of that contraption is three layers of paper mache that work as the metal layers on Wheatley which will be painted approapriately. The two handles will most likely be made of some plastic rods and triangular washers I have lying around all painted up and possibly cut. Based on the sphere, he'll probably be about 2 feet cubed which is actual size based in comparison to Chell. My concern is will it work? I have the sphere and eye already and they work just fine. Somewhat heavy, but not really. Will the paper mache and rods add too much weight? I'd hate to build this and then be unable to lug it around. As well, I really want to add a way to make him blink. My only idea for this was adding rail paths on the sphere and making some sort of clamp rigging that will automatically pull back when it shuts. Seems a tad dangerous though if something malfunctions. :/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:13:50 am by Shout »

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
Re: Puppeteering Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 12:52:34 pm »
I saw this thread awhile ago but just today I randomly came across this video and thought back to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_924283&v=uztSRAOoEDI

I dont know if it would be much help but maybe it can give you an idea about the different parts that make up the spheres.
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)