Author Topic: Do you like Studio Ghibli  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
Do you like Studio Ghibli
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:14:41 pm »
I am sort of wondering if anyone likes Studio Ghibli.  Maybe the younger crowd just doesn't know who they are.

Studio Ghibli released The Borrower Arrietty in July of last year.  I have been waiting with eager anticipation to see this animated feature masterpiece, and finally it has been released to BluRay (6-17-11).  Needles to say I acquired it as soon as I could, and am going to show it at my next Anime Friday here in Eugene (6-24-11).  I posted about it on Monday in Plan Your Own Adventure, but haven't gotten a single response.

The only thing I can think is that nobody cares and they must all think Studio Ghibli sucks, or that nobody knows that the Borrower Arrietty is a Ghibli film.
Well THE BORROWER ARRIETTY IS A GHIBLI FILM
AND I AM PLAYING IT FOR FREE ON FRIDAY
Whew, I feel better now.  Oh... I will also be providing free popcorn.  It's BYOB.

Feel free to use this thread to comment on any other Ghibli films you like or dislike.  Let us know why.

I still think Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite.  I just really like the character of Kiki, she is just so..  so... CUTE!  Most of the Ghibli heroins are similar.  They are all genki shojo who usually mature during the movie.  Arrietty is no different.  Many Ghibli heroins are also either not human or placed into a fantastic realm of other creatures that are not human.  Kiki is a broom riding witch, Ponyo is a mermaid, Sheeta is a princess of a floating castle, Sophie is changed into an old woman by an evil witch. Chihiro is "Spirited Away" and has her name stolen. Arrietty is, of course, a Borrower.  A 13 year old (almost 14) 10cm tall little person, who lives beneath the floorboards.  All of them have great adventures, and we enjoyed watching them.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: Do you like Studio Ghibli
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:03 pm »
That's awesome . . unfortunately Eugene is a lil' far away for me. D:  I think?  I live near Vancouver, WA.  :-X

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:18:56 pm »
Drive faster Reppy.

My wife will be arriving Friday, at 9:30pm. Back to the normal, what's anime friday? routine. sigh
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:20:48 pm »
Oh my, that movie's out already? I'm going to have to take a trip to Movie Madness soon and rent it  ;D

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:26:38 pm »
Maybe we can start a carpool of people from the Portland area who want to come see it.  You could leave Portland around 5:00pm and be back by 11:00pm if you didn't hang around for other stuff, like watching AMV's or current TV releases.

I may also consider having a Studio Ghibli movie marathon.  I have almost every feature film they have made, including the ones Disney hasn't dubbed yet.

If I did that, would anyone be interested in attending?

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:30:12 pm »
Oh my, that movie's out already? I'm going to have to take a trip to Movie Madness soon and rent it  ;D

It was released in Japan on BR-DVD with English subs.  It isn't available in the states yet.  Disney will be releasing it in theaters in February of 2012.  It probably won't be available in English dubbed BR-DVD in the US until this time next year, if not later.

Feel free to wait until then, or...  COME SEE IT NOW!  ;D

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:37:23 pm »
Oh, well then i think i'll just wait untill next year ^^; I hardly ever go to the movie theatre so that'll be a good chance! Plus studio Ghibli dubs are some of my favorate anime dubs.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 07:38:58 am »
That's awesome . . unfortunately Eugene is a lil' far away for me. D:  I think?  I live near Vancouver, WA.  :-X

Ditto... I'd love to come, but I live near Seattle.  :-[
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 12:46:56 pm »
It sounds like a fun social experience, but I personally am not really into Studio Ghibli.  There's been some good things, but for the most part, not really my thing.  I'd probably go, just to hang out, but Eugene is far for me, too (also living in Vancouver).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 05:41:04 pm »
Eugene is pretty far for me as well, and I'm working, alas...

But I love Studio Ghibli! I've been following their films since I saw Kiki's Delivery Service on Disney Channel as a tiny little childling. I am still catching up on some films (Yamadas, Cagliostro, Porco Rosso...) but I think I have to say Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service are all tied for my favorite. Ghibli films are so lush, even for anime standards, and are generally so incomparably heartwarming/moving/touching/captivating...I love all that I've seen and am excited for Borrower!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 06:13:01 pm »
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 10:43:25 pm »
If I were anywhere near Eugene I would go. I haven't heard of taht one but I do adore Studio Ghibli. I remember watching Princess Mononoke with my dad countless times when I was probably way too young to be watching something that violent. Kiki's still the beeeeest, though~