Author Topic: 2011 Fanfiction Contest  (Read 10330 times)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
2011 Fanfiction Contest
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:12:24 am »
This year, we will not have a dedicated space for Creation Station, so things are going to run a little differently.  The rules for the Fanfiction contest can be found here.

Please read the rules for all the requirements for submittals.  All entries must be received by August 1.  You can send your submissions to fanfic@kumoricon.orgNo entries will be accepted at con.

This year, we will have a Kumoricon Award, which will allow attendees to vote for their favorite submission.  Keep an eye out here for more information on that  ;)

If you have any questions, please post here or email fanfic@kumoricon.org.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Ninja_Photographer

• Oni
Re: 2011 Fanfiction Contest
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 08:03:09 pm »
I understand Kumoricon attendees are going to vote for their favorite fanfiction on the Kumoricon website, but when and where exactly will they be posted? 
I'd rather regret doing something stupid, than regret doing nothing at all.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:38:31 pm »
I sent in mine! Only one this year though.

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:41:00 am »
So...how is this working exactly?

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:02:38 am »
I'm curious, too.  When and how will the voting process go up?

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:54 am »
The deadline was the 1st.  The con is Sep. 2nd (roughly) so I would have figure they'd post by now.  I don't know how I'm going to read and vote on entries if they only give us a week and there are a lot of novels...

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:57:03 am »
Entries are being prepped to be posted on the website... if all goes well, I am hoping we will see things up next week.

We appreciate your patience :)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:06:02 pm »
Good luck to all who entered.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »
If it isn't up soon, what then? And will these be done without names attached?

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 01:09:50 am »

Yeah, they're going to be posted anonymously 

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 01:14:08 am »
The entries should be posted next week.  Thanks for all your patience :)

Offline chibihentaichan

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:05:11 am »
So I just finished getting everything ready to be posted this weekend. I was told that they would be up early this week. I'm thinking we might try and keep voting up a little longer, because this took a little longer than we were planning, but life likes to get in the way more often than not.

The fics are going to be put up with just the names of the stories and their fandoms. There will be no author's names attached to the stories (as was stated in the rules of the contest.) We want is to be about which story is the best not a popularity contest with the authors. This is also why we aren't allowing authors to "pimp" their entries on the forums. You can point people to where the voting is taking place (although we're going to be doing that) but you cannot say which entry is yours.
~chibihentaichan~
The littlest pervert on the net
proving to everyone everywhere that size doesn't matter

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:41:21 am »
So I just finished getting everything ready to be posted this weekend. I was told that they would be up early this week. I'm thinking we might try and keep voting up a little longer, because this took a little longer than we were planning, but life likes to get in the way more often than not.

The fics are going to be put up with just the names of the stories and their fandoms. There will be no author's names attached to the stories (as was stated in the rules of the contest.) We want is to be about which story is the best not a popularity contest with the authors. This is also why we aren't allowing authors to "pimp" their entries on the forums. You can point people to where the voting is taking place (although we're going to be doing that) but you cannot say which entry is yours.

Right.  Which is how it should be.  I've been telling people I've entered and such and a few of them already know which fic is mine because they were beta testers, but I told them a million times if you vote for mine just because I'm your friend I will be pissed.  The contest needs to be fair and I can' wait to read the other stories.  Keep me posted when they're up!  I've been dying to read a good fic for a while now.

Offline chibihentaichan

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 02:35:07 pm »
We decided to take a page from a Old (but still running) GW fanfic contest called Moments of Rapture. Really famous fans could loose to relative no-names who wrote a great story. That was the whole idea.

We're also not only going to be offering the fics online, but in a word document for people who have e-readers, for portable reading. And I have to say that I'm loving have the entries on my e-reader this year. It makes it so nice to read on the bus.
~chibihentaichan~

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 03:06:37 pm »
What if people don't have e-readers?  I do so I can't wait to get them but I know a lot of people don't.

Offline chibihentaichan

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 08:03:02 pm »
If they don't have e-readers the fics are still going to be posted on the website.

In fact they are up!

http://www.kumoricon.org/fanfiction-contest-entries

Happy reading everyone!
~chibihentaichan~

• Oni
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 08:47:55 pm »
Where do we vote? 

Offline chibihentaichan

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 08:23:50 am »
Voting isn't up yet. I'll keep you guys updated for when the voting is up.
~chibihentaichan~

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 09:43:08 am »
Alrighty!  I've gotten through them all except the Vocaloid and Hetalia one that are so long XD  There are some pretty interesting ones this year.

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 12:06:38 pm »
Ok I saw on the schedule "Fanfic Contest Meetup" on Sun at 4-5pm. What is this and is it required for enterents?

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 06:41:30 pm »
Hi! Just wondering if the contest voting is up yet - I wouldn't bother you, seeing as how you're undoubtedly super-busy at the moment, but there are only five days left and that doesn't leave much time for voting.

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 10:56:15 pm »
The fandom I wrote for is listed wrong. Or rather, it has the franchise but not the specific source.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 12:04:55 am »
When does voting close?
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline chibihentaichan

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »
K everyone, voting is up. We're keeping it open through Sunday of the con, so more voting can happen.

Blackjack, that was a deicison I made. We simplified everything so that it looked cleaner. That's all.
~chibihentaichan~

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 02:39:08 pm »
K everyone, voting is up. We're keeping it open through Sunday of the con, so more voting can happen.

Just checking: In this thread, you are saying voting is through Sunday of the con, but in the thread specifically about the award, you are saying voting is through Saturday of the con. Which is correct? Thanks.

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 04:01:56 pm »
How do we vote?

Edit:  nevermind, found it
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:02:32 pm by Kori123 »

• Oni
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 05:58:59 pm »
How do we vote?

Can you help? I can't find it.

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 07:38:05 pm »
How do we vote?

Can you help? I can't find it.

Its on the fan fic forums main page

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 07:53:58 pm »
Ok I saw on the schedule "Fanfic Contest Meetup" on Sun at 4-5pm. What is this and is it required for enterents?

Still no answer for this question?

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 12:24:15 am »
Voting can be found here: Kumoricon Award Voting

According to the blurb:
A time for the authors that entered the fanfiction contest to meet, discuss fanfiction, and get critiques from the judges. Only open for those who entered the contest.

It does not sound like it is required, but she may correct me ;)

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 01:10:54 am »

According to the blurb:
A time for the authors that entered the fanfiction contest to meet, discuss fanfiction, and get critiques from the judges. Only open for those who entered the contest.

I thought someone mentioned it was required but it might have changed.

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 08:35:26 am »
Yeah, thus why I asked.
That panel is smack dab in my "eating and changing for the cosplay contest" time, and if I don't have to be there, I'm gonna be eating and changing at a better pace, rather than in a panic. which is never good for the nerves before performing.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:38 am »
Blackjack, that was a deicison I made. We simplified everything so that it looked cleaner. That's all.

I have to say, though, in light of there being a fic specified "Final Fantasy 7" rather than just "Final Fantasy", it makes no sense. One of the characters I wrote about exists only in the specific manga I wrote about.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 12:16:15 pm »
When I read the panel blurb as we were finalizing the Con Book, what I remember it being is simply a chance for fanfic contestants to meet each other and the judges. I do not recall any diction indicating it to be mandatory.

According to the blurb:

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 02:26:27 am »
I have suggestions for ways we can increase the number of submissions for next year.
The key # 1 way I got submissions every year was through cultivating personal relationships with the authors. Whether offering to beta read (works other than submissions; or submissions after prizes were awarded for the year); or just seeking out folks who'd expressed any interest at all in fanfic on the forums; or staying in touch online with entrants throughout the year; or announcing the contest to all those who read at Bedtime Stories or improvised at the enormously popular Scenes from a Hat, and suggesting they also enter the contest, that year or others...of course that was when fics could still be submitted at con.

The idea of running a contest via the forums was a great one, but only with a lot of outreach will it increase in participation. Perhaps an article in the KumoriContent for the website front page would be among the many options for increasing familiarity with the new contest award. Having the winners announced at Closing Ceremonies is exciting for the winners, but it would be more exciting for the audience, IMHO, if the fandoms for each fic were listed with the title and author. I think there'd be more cheering from the general audience, if they knew which fandoms were represented. Also, there were many fandoms I joined *because I loved fanfics I read in them* (such as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya).

Just some thoughts & observations.

BTW I wasn't at Opening Ceremonies, but if the fact that the contest exists and was (at that time) still running, wasn't already mentioned as part of Opening Ceremonies, it would be a great thing to add.

Also, having the contest still be open during con would have the potential to result in more additional votes if there were easy, free sites at con to read the fics and vote.

Would it be conceivable to have hard copies somewhere and collect votes in a box? Or are we too worried about "ballot stuffing" to try such?

How was the turnout for the fanfic contestant meetup? I would love to see that become something big, eventually.

<<EDIT: By "we" in the first paragraph, I mean "the entire Kumoricon fan creation-minded community".>>
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:20:54 pm by RemSaverem »