Author Topic: Playstation 3 death  (Read 5375 times)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Playstation 3 death
« on: June 18, 2011, 09:38:42 am »
"I was playing a game when his PS3 suddenly shut down, like there had been a quick power outage. Trying to start up the system again, the light turned on green, then went yellow for a second and then started flashing red and shut down. The light continued to flash red after the system shut down. We've tried using canned air to blow out the dust and left it overnight, but still getting the same result. Disc is stuck in the system too. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Were you able to fix it yourself, or did you have to send it for repairs and how much did Sony charge you? Thanks!"

From my hubby, as you can tell from the grammer spelling used.
Any tips/info is much apreshated.  Its his birthday next month and worst case scenario I will use his birthday present money on repair bill, tho it will prob be over my budget.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Re: Playstation 3 death
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:28:27 am »
I can't find any official information from Sony on what the light errors indicate, but if your husband still has the owner's manual it may specify the exact cause in a section labeled "troubleshooting" or something along those lines.  From what I can gather, it looks like some other people have had the same issue and it's been linked to a power supply failure.  If the PS3 is still under warranty Sony should be willing to replace or repair it for free.  Otherwise you're probably looking at repair costs in the neighborhood of $80-$150.

I've found some indication online that you can replace the power supply yourself, but Sony tends to make their systems difficult to operate on so it might be better just to shell out for repair costs.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:36:55 am »
I support the sledgehammer method...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 12:07:39 pm »
I support the sledgehammer method...

*First off whoa fire fox has a spell check built into it wow*

And second no, it has backwards capability!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:14:52 pm »
^ I thought the spell check was normal...

In that case, never mind...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 06:28:10 pm »
"I was playing a game when his PS3 suddenly shut down, like there had been a quick power outage. Trying to start up the system again, the light turned on green, then went yellow for a second and then started flashing red and shut down. The light continued to flash red after the system shut down. We've tried using canned air to blow out the dust and left it overnight, but still getting the same result. Disc is stuck in the system too. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Were you able to fix it yourself, or did you have to send it for repairs and how much did Sony charge you? Thanks!"

From my hubby, as you can tell from the grammer spelling used.
Any tips/info is much apreshated.  Its his birthday next month and worst case scenario I will use his birthday present money on repair bill, tho it will prob be over my budget.
Hate to break it to you but your system is toast. this happened to my first ps3 which was the same model as yours. As for fixing it unless you still have the receipt from when you bought it sony wont fix it for under 100 dollars easy. As for your save data say good bye to it cause there is no way to retrieve it. so unless you backed it all up there is no way to get it all back. Sorry about your loss RIP PS3.

China bound!!!

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 06:36:25 pm »
WEll that happen to my friends ps3 unplug the whole system then plug it into a new outlet. thats waht we had to do when i did this try it if not them is dead ;-; poor ps3

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 09:25:34 pm »
Hate to break it to you but your system is toast. this happened to my first ps3 which was the same model as yours. As for fixing it unless you still have the receipt from when you bought it sony wont fix it for under 100 dollars easy. As for your save data say good bye to it cause there is no way to retrieve it. so unless you backed it all up there is no way to get it all back. Sorry about your loss RIP PS3.

Wouldn't call it toast, we are just going to send it in.  Its warranty is expired but as the seal isn't broken just can pay them to fix it.
  Sony customer service said $129 to fix but worth it to keep a ps3 with  the backwards compatibility.
I know what Chris is getting for his birthday, me paying da bill.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 12:21:30 am »
Griff says:
You probably won't have any of your save data though. That part is probably lost for good.
As for the backward compatibility, there is a chance it could be gone with the fix. I didn't do that cause I just bought a new system but there is that chance that it won't come back with that feature. It's still cheaper than buying a new one, though.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 07:56:18 am »
For the save data we are keeping the hard drive, (my husband had bought a bigger one and when sending it in he puts in the original) it just depends if the int problem wiped it or not.  When the blue ray burned out and we got it fixed, he lost his save data but only his mine and my brothers were find, so we will see.

As for compatibility that should be kept, otherwise customer service is lying and there will be words.
One of things they offer when sending it in is just to up grade it to band new PS3 (its less then what it would cost brand new but I forget how much) instead of the old one, at which point my husband asks about compatibility is told he can only get with his model and says he is keeping his.

Still cheaper then getting a new one, he just wishes he could crack the seal and take a look inside but if he does that then Sony wont touch it for repairs, and he doesn't want to take that chance.

Anyway we will see, the box Sony is sending us should be here around tuesday and then it will be gone for maybe 2 weeks ish, so he hopes to get it back by July for his birthday.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:59:03 am by superjaz »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 12:50:02 pm »
Before you actually send it in and shell out the cash for repairs, make sure you try unplugging the power cable from the wall outlet AND the PS3.  Give it 15-20 minutes to dissipate any remaining charge, then plug it back in and try it again.  This is actually a known red-ring fix for the XBox 360 (happened to my roommate once; basically the power cable gets too much static build-up and the system starts running too hot, so it won't boot certain components correctly), and it looks like it's a common fix for the blinking green-yellow-red light issue that you're describing as well, probably for the same reasons.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 04:51:39 pm »
Before you actually send it in and shell out the cash for repairs, make sure you try unplugging the power cable from the wall outlet AND the PS3.  Give it 15-20 minutes to dissipate any remaining charge, then plug it back in and try it again.  This is actually a known red-ring fix for the XBox 360 (happened to my roommate once; basically the power cable gets too much static build-up and the system starts running too hot, so it won't boot certain components correctly), and it looks like it's a common fix for the blinking green-yellow-red light issue that you're describing as well, probably for the same reasons.

^
he explained it better then mine! try what tofu said

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 03:20:32 pm »

Yup we tried this, also the sony peep we talked to recommended it as well, still not working

My poor younger brother, who lent hubby the game thats stuck in it.

Offline LimeTheDragon

• Oni
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 01:16:47 am »
For the record.. if you end up getting a refurbished system back, and not the exact same unit, the data on your HDD will be useless, they can't be interchanged the same way 360 HDDs can be.

And likewise, Sony has disclaimers that you may not get the disc in the system back either. Just letting you know, it's something you might have to deal with.

But I wish you the best of luck. I, personally, had a 60GB BC model for a while, but after around 2 years, I decided to upgrade before the system died(which it would've, since I used, and still use my PS3 alot), and sold it to upgrade to a slim model. Honestly, I still own a PS2, so backwards compatibility isn't that big of a deal to me.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 11:33:13 am »
Exactly what Lime said... Your save data is on a hinge and it's a 50/50 chance it will still work.
In the future, get an external harddrive and randomly back up all your saves.

Also, if you are worried about the backwards, buy a ps2. You can buy an original for $50 used at Gamestop and a slim for $60. New is around a $100 but good luck finding one. They aren't terrible systems and it's just a little bit more space to store it.
But hey, if you have someone in the family who likes PS2 games a lot, you can then play that while another plays the PS3 (assuming you only have one cause that's what it sounds like).

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »
Your PS3 might have overheated. I can't swear to that, but that's what happened to mine. I was playing a game, the PS3 shut off and when I tried to turn it back on the light went green, yellow for a second, then flashed red and beeped twice. It wouldn't come back on. And my game was stuck inside, too.

I wouldn't bother sending it back to Sony if I were you. It's expensive, takes at least six weeks (usually), and you may not get back your same system. And than there's the whole possibility of having your data wiped if you do get your original system back...
I'd go to a repair shop. Google PS3 repair and you should be able to find one.
I got mine repaired at a place called RepairBucks in Fairview, Oregon. For $100 they cleaned the system, refurbished the harddrive, put in some new (and supposedly better) cooling tape, or whatever it's called, and got my system up and running good as new. It was more than I was hoping to pay but after getting my PS3 back the same day I left it off I can't complain. And seeing as I really didn't want to send my system in to Sony only to have them give me a different system, I have even less to complain about. I like my limited-run, chrome-plated, backwards-compatible PS3. :(

Edit:
Sounds like you already sent it in. Nevermind...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:28:37 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 07:56:09 am »
^ appreciate the advice.

But yeah we got the box last week, and its been fixed, and shipped back to us as of yesterday.

So we will see what we get.  The only loss of saved date we really would miss would be rock band stuff.

My hubby will like the excuse to replay a bunch of games

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 09:27:24 pm »
Okay to minds that are curious, we got back a ps3 not the exact one we sent but the same model, and it still haves reverse ps2-ps1 capabilities, did lose save data since different system made the hard drive reformat.  Other then that hubby is setting up stuff to redownloaded

Total cost 129.

Offline LimeTheDragon

• Oni
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 04:14:22 pm »
Had a feeling it would be a refurb, and not the exact same system. Atleast you got a PS2 BC model, still.

And for the record, all PS3 systems, even the newest slims, are PS1 compatible.