Author Topic: Hey Guy  (Read 6396 times)

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Hey Guy
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:41:06 pm »
You were right about how every anime seems to have some useless cute... thing, in it.

I just watched an anime (GunxSword) for the first time in years, and of course, something popped up out of nowhere, belonging to the cute girl character. I wanted to punch it as soon as I saw it. :p

tl;dr cute useless things in anime are more useless than cute

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Re: Hey Guy
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 04:56:28 pm »
Yeah, well so is "comic relief". Would you prefer they do what Star trek does, put in something hideously ugly instead of cute?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:40:51 pm »
Ah but you see girls like useless cute things

and if we like one enough we will buy somthing with its picture on it= make them money.

Sorry its a girl thing, I battle this by trying to stick to things that have a use and is not just taking up space.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:47:59 pm »
Ah but you see girls like useless cute things

and if we like one enough we will buy somthing with its picture on it= make them money.

Sorry its a girl thing, I battle this by trying to stick to things that have a use and is not just taking up space.
Ironically, I buy immobile but cool-looking figurines, so it goes for guys too :p

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:37:15 am »
You were right about how every anime seems to have some useless cute... thing, in it.

If memory serves me correctly, "Blue Seed" doesn't have a useless cute thing in it.  (Unless you want to include the Omake Theatre segments that they have, but I don't).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:03 pm »
Yeah, well so is "comic relief". Would you prefer they do what Star trek does, put in something hideously ugly instead of cute?
Let's try it.

GET ME GAINAX ON THE PHONE.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:31:18 am »

If memory serves me correctly, "Blue Seed" doesn't have a useless cute thing in it.  (Unless you want to include the Omake Theatre segments that they have, but I don't).

I dunno, I thought Momiji was pretty close to it sometimes. ;)

Or if it has to be a thing per se, then her underwear almost qualified as a cute but useless sidekick.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 12:41:42 pm »
I don't really count Momiji or the panty gags as "cute."  The panties may be cute themselves, but the jokes are about her youthful innocence, which start to go away (like her child-like personality) as the series continues.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:43:43 pm »
If you can call most of the supposedly cute things in anime genuinely cute, then it's fair to say Momiji isn't in this category. But she does fall smack into (heck, she almost defines) the dojikko / clumsy girl category, one of the earliest brands of moe. And I had the feeling the subject wasn't about truly cute things, but rather things which are "cute" - i.e. allegedly cute but can get on your nerves if overdone. (If you want to smash it with a mallet, it's not really all that cute.)

Wrt the panchira... maybe you're right. I think I just chose to mentally redefine it as "cute" because thinking about Momiji as an adult in that fashion rather than a child makes me a little bit ill. (Seriously, I tried watching Blue Seed Beyond and was cringing by the time she decided [SPOILER] she wanted Kusanagi to make her a woman. For the protection of my sanity, I had to turn it off before anything happened.)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 04:34:16 pm »
I sometimes buy a little Hello Kitty something or other.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 05:31:55 pm »
Funny when I don't think hello kitty is really all that cute, not dissin the cat, just have seen cuter

Now unico <3

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »
Well there ARE those characters that are cute, useless, but fairly likable (normally side characters that don't talk very much, or even at all). And then there are those characters that are cute, useless, and really effing annoying (small, big shiny eyes, normally voiced by a girl with an ear-screachingly high-pitched voice).

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 07:54:23 pm »
Well, for me, I guess Hello Kitty is cute kind of like pugs, or bulldogs are to others.

Or maybe I mistake cute for so sweet it makes me want to choke.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 10:20:29 pm »
If you can call most of the supposedly cute things in anime genuinely cute, then it's fair to say Momiji isn't in this category. But she does fall smack into (heck, she almost defines) the dojikko / clumsy girl category, one of the earliest brands of moe.

Which is really funny that you say that, because her mother's name is Moe.  (And I personally think her mother is the hottest person in the series, next to Kome).

Offline Saiyusa

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:14 am »
Funny when I don't think hello kitty is really all that cute, not dissin the cat, just have seen cuter

Now unico <3

Oh my god I am watching the movie. He is beyond adorable
Why yes. I did draw that myself. How could you tell? I'm sorry too.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 07:43:50 am »
^ Indeed, very cute... but... why does he have a wing on his butt instead of his torso?  :-\

If you can call most of the supposedly cute things in anime genuinely cute, then it's fair to say Momiji isn't in this category. But she does fall smack into (heck, she almost defines) the dojikko / clumsy girl category, one of the earliest brands of moe.

Which is really funny that you say that, because her mother's name is Moe.  (And I personally think her mother is the hottest person in the series, next to Kome).

I'll trust you on it... it's been several years since I saw Blue Seed. ^_^

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 11:15:02 am »
^ It looks like Wikipedia's page for Blue Seed is pretty poor; they even have a few reasons listed as to what needs to be done to improve on it.  If you're planning on coming to the meeting this Sunday, I'll let you borrow my copy of Blue Seed, if you want.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 11:38:50 am »
^ Indeed, very cute... but... why does he have a wing on his butt instead of his torso?  :-\

Thats his tail.

He is a unicorn and only has wings when some one truely love him and it gives him SPECIAL POWERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ehpvQj6PYs

fyi unico was made by Osamu Tezuka god father of mange, and is an anime street cred for know of its existance (in some circles)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 11:52:29 am »
^ I have been curious about it, myself...  UNICORNS ARE IRISH!!!

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 11:04:58 am »

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure