Author Topic: School ID acceptable for 18 year old?  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Maia

• Oni
    • "Green Link" - cosplay.com
School ID acceptable for 18 year old?
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:04:21 pm »
Hi, I have a question.
I'll be registering online and getting my badge in the mail, but will I need ID  to get into Kumoricon?
I have a school ID with a picture and school year but no birthday...will this be ok?
I'm not going to any adult panels, only the rave.
Yes, I know about birth certificates and state ID but I want to know if the school one will work. Do they even check ID if you don't go to an 18+ event?
Thanks a lot!
"Hey, would you say... I became a hero?" - Zack Fair

Kumoricon 2011
Link: Skyward Sword
Sakura Con 2011

Offline miko murphy

• Sailor Scout
Re: School ID acceptable for 18 year old?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:17:02 pm »
when you get your badge checked off the first day they do check I.D. and they would probably like to know for a fact that your an adult, Also i think its quicker to get checked off.

I had to help a friend last year that just brought his school id. luckily he got his adult pass without a state id.
2009 attendee 2010 attendee 2011 info booth staff

Offline Maia

• Oni
    • "Green Link" - cosplay.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:24:25 pm »
So even if you get the badge in mail you still have to check it? (I've never been before). So will a school ID work?
"Hey, would you say... I became a hero?" - Zack Fair

Kumoricon 2011
Sakura Con 2011

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:35:48 pm »
From the website section on registration;

Check-In

All attendees, both those who have pre-registered and those registering at the door, need the following to check in:

Photo ID
Parental permission form if under age 18

If you are pre-registered, then you also need:

Your badge/membership card, if you opted to have it mailed

Since the website doesn't indicate the requirement of STATE/GOVERNMENT issued Identification but merely requires PHOTO ID, presumably a school ID with a photo on it will work. I am slightly embarrassed that I don't know the exact answer to this question, however a quick e-mail to registration@kumoricon.org should clear this up for you in a few days (give them some time, they get a lot of e-mails!)

Hope this gets cleared up for you, can't wait to see you at the convention!
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:40:19 pm »
Hi, I have a question.
I'll be registering online and getting my badge in the mail, but will I need ID  to get into Kumoricon?
I have a school ID with a picture and school year but no birthday...will this be ok?
I'm not going to any adult panels, only the rave.
Yes, I know about birth certificates and state ID but I want to know if the school one will work. Do they even check ID if you don't go to an 18+ event?
Thanks a lot!

We check Photo IDs at Pre Reg, Will Call, and At Door Registration to prove that the person with the badge is really him/her and that they are the age that they registered with.

To answer your question, we would prefer you bring any type of Current Photo ID that proves you are over 18 (Driver License, State ID, etc.).

Unless Your School ID has your date of birth or something that proves you are over 18, we can't take it (we can for minors though with a Current School ID and a Parent Permission form).

Last year was kinda lax about it in Pre Reg and Will Call because we had a lot of new staff who were trained at the last minute and people we pulled from other departments to help us out because we were WAY understaffed. This year we should be a lot more prepared (hopefully).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:54:54 am by That_Guy »

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:31:59 pm »
We do this to make sure a minor doesn't get his hand on an adult badge and sneak into a 18+ panel (the blame would mostly go to us for giving him/her the badge in the first place).

This doesn't matter because the checks for adult panels (or to get the hand stamp to enter adult panels) are based on ID, not badge.

But, there still other reasons that reg needs to make sure you get the correct type of badge for your age, regardless.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline 7thRingOfSkittles

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:07:34 am »
Fantastic question Maia. I'd like to know too since I know alot of adults had issues getting in at Sakuracon with school ID. Even those with university ID's were getting turned away on pre-registration day, and kept having to come back with birth certificates and such. I luckily had a really nice lady who let me through anyway, despite the fact I only have school ID too.
Kumoricon 2011~ Haruhi Fujioka- Ouran Host Club
Sakuracon 2012~ Mako- Nerima Daikon Brothers

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 11:52:33 am »
We do this to make sure a minor doesn't get his hand on an adult badge and sneak into a 18+ panel (the blame would mostly go to us for giving him/her the badge in the first place).

This doesn't matter because the checks for adult panels (or to get the hand stamp to enter adult panels) are based on ID, not badge.

But, there still other reasons that reg needs to make sure you get the correct type of badge for your age, regardless.

Ah you are correct about that... Maybe that's why I should not answer questions at 11:30 at night when I'm tired...

That's why we have a edit button for me to use so I don't look like a idiot  :P