Author Topic: 2012 Cosplay Contest Rules and Form  (Read 14081 times)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
2012 Cosplay Contest Rules and Form
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:17:28 pm »
The rules and entry form for 2012 Cosplay Contest have been posted to the Kumoricon website  :D
PLEASE read them carefully as we've made some modifications to the rules for 2012.

See http://www.kumoricon.org/cosplay-contest  for RULES
And the forms are on http://www.kumoricon.org/contests  under "Cosplay Contest"

Questions? write them here, or email cosplay@kumoricon.org  

Thanks

edited to add: I'm splitting 2012 from 2011 questions.. please see new thread. Thanks :) ~J
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:36:18 am by Jamiche »

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
Re: 2012 Cosplay Contest Rules and Form
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:32:43 pm »
Hi Kumoricon Cosplay staff,  First off 2011 cosplay contest was awesome.  Now on to my question.  The Cosplay that I am working on has a pack with metal looking equipment like air tank and a winch.  I planned on hitting the junk yards to find items that I can put together to look like the pack.  Does that break the rule for making everything if I find pre-existing parts and put them together?  Cause I already plan on buying his gloves and shoes and a toy replica of his shotgun.  But everything else I plan on making. Thanks

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:52:54 pm »
Hi Kumoricon Cosplay staff,  First off 2011 cosplay contest was awesome.  Now on to my question.  The Cosplay that I am working on has a pack with metal looking equipment like air tank and a winch.  I planned on hitting the junk yards to find items that I can put together to look like the pack.  Does that break the rule for making everything if I find pre-existing parts and put them together?  Cause I already plan on buying his gloves and shoes and a toy replica of his shotgun.  But everything else I plan on making. Thanks
Sorry about taking so long... I thought I'd answered this one...
You may use some found objects in creating your props. The rules are that at least 60% of the costume shall be made by you. If you paint that airtank and winch it'll be fine....  :)

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:12:25 pm »
question-- i am thinking of a spoof'ish random skit with a bit of fighting scene... and there'll be a scene were we're gunna be singing magnet from vocaloid- we arent really gunna go all the way sexy about it, prolly just some magnet pose and that's it (since going all the way would already be considered hentai, not fanservice)-- and we're genderbending black rock shooter and white rock shooter as well...

i think i got the ok for the gender bend, but is the magnet/fanservice scene applicable?
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:41:50 pm »
Wondering what is the policy on original characters? I'm working on a Steampunk outfit based on the Cheshire Cat and was thinking of entering it, but wondering if that's ok, and what would I have to do.

Especially since some of my friends are thinking of joining me in the Steampunk Wonderland, so wondering if we could enter.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:19:25 am »
Wondering what is the policy on original characters? I'm working on a Steampunk outfit based on the Cheshire Cat and was thinking of entering it, but wondering if that's ok, and what would I have to do.

Especially since some of my friends are thinking of joining me in the Steampunk Wonderland, so wondering if we could enter.

Entries into the Cosplay competition must follow the theme of the convention - that is be related to Japanese anime, Japanese culture, Japanese live action TV, Japanese music etc. 

Non-anime costumes may be entered in / win something in the HALL COSPLAY contest.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:21:17 am »
If we sent in the form already (by email) when should we be expecting a confirmation email that it was received? Or that we were accepted/declined?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:02:55 am »
If we sent in the form already (by email) when should we be expecting a confirmation email that it was received? Or that we were accepted/declined?

If you already sent it in - that is prior to 2/14/12 @ 6:58AM, then I did NOT receive it (I just checked my email) and you should resend it.

I normally respond to the email shortly after receiving it telling you that your entry arrived and if there was any information missing on the form that I need... Of course, since I don't constantly check my email, there may be a delay of a day or two... If you don't hear back then send me a private message asking if I receive an entry from your email (please be sure to tell me your email address!!) and I'll let you know whether it's arrived. Sometimes emails just don't make it for some reason or another.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »
Yeah I sent the form 2/5...
 So I just resent it to "cosplay@kumoricon.org"  :)
Kumori'15

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 04:09:36 pm »
Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions and entries.  There was an email snafu (they weren't getting forwarded to Runa).  That has been resolved, and now she has all the emails that I have received to date.  Please give her a few days to respond to them.  If you have any questions you can email cosplay@kumoricon.org, or you can email me directly at programming@kumoricon.org.

I appreciate your patience with all this... thanks :)
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:29:23 am »
Thanks, Jamiche :)

So, to be clear... If someone's entering a skit with 2 other people, and they're also wanting their costume judged, do they have to enter a form separate from the skit's form? So 2 PDF's would be sent?
Kumori'15

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 07:33:41 am »
Thanks, Jamiche :)

So, to be clear... If someone's entering a skit with 2 other people, and they're also wanting their costume judged, do they have to enter a form separate from the skit's form? So 2 PDF's would be sent?

You only need to send in one form. There places on the form where you indicate whether your costumes are to be judged, and whether they're to be judged as one group / set of costumes or individually.   :)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 02:15:57 pm »
Oh okay :) But does this not apply if 1 out of the 3 wants their costume judged, and the other 2 don't qualify for the costumes to be judged? They're just in it for the skit.
Kumori'15

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:20:35 pm »
Oh okay :) But does this not apply if 1 out of the 3 wants their costume judged, and the other 2 don't qualify for the costumes to be judged? They're just in it for the skit.

If only one of the 3 will have the costume judged, check "Judge individually" and then write in "not judged" next to the names of the two people whose costumes are not being judged. (besides, if you mention it in the email, I'll be able to figure it out.  :)  )

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 04:31:05 am »
Awsome, thanks! Just sent in the application earlier in the night.
Kumori'15

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 10:21:45 pm »
So what's the deal with this new non-Japanese characters can't enter rule? Why was that set up?
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 01:36:59 pm »
So what's the deal with this new non-Japanese characters can't enter rule? Why was that set up?

I'm sorry for the confusion, but our rules have always stated that the costume portion of the Cosplay Contest is limited to cosplays of Japanese origin - whether it be anime, manga, or other cultural sources.  In the past, we have been lax in applying this rule, but with the increase in entries we've had over the last couple of years we are now strictly enforcing this rule.

We appreciate all the hard work people put into their cosplays, and we love to see them at con.  But Kumoricon is an anime convention, and our focus is on anime and Japanese culture.  All costumes are welcome at the convention, even in the Cosplay Skits, but costume judging will be restricted to those cosplays that fall within our focus.

Thank you for your understanding.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Syaoran_Sakura.Kinomoto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 05:15:56 pm »
OH COME ON REALLY!!!???
If your costume originates from any other country, it does not qualify. (Please feel free to enter non-qualifying costumes in the Hall Cosplay Contest).

One of my skit ideas involve the "Secret Service" and the "Secret Police"

Secret Service= American OC
Secret Police= oh you get the idea.

QQ

but still is it allowed? it's going to be a full head on skit.
Kumoru Con 2013 cosplay plan:
Friday: Secret Police Hacker Kagamine Len
Saturday: Black Rock Shooter (male version)
Sunday: Kagamine Len (Fleeting Moon Flower)
Monday: Secret

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 09:56:52 am »
OH COME ON REALLY!!!???
If your costume originates from any other country, it does not qualify. (Please feel free to enter non-qualifying costumes in the Hall Cosplay Contest).

One of my skit ideas involve the "Secret Service" and the "Secret Police"

Secret Service= American OC
Secret Police= oh you get the idea.

QQ

but still is it allowed? it's going to be a full head on skit.

The full quotation from the rules is:
"While we appreciate costumes from other genres, Kumoricon's Cosplay contest will be limited to those of Japanese origin including: Japanese anime, Japanese manga, J-rock, J-pop, Lolita, Japanese live-action cinema or TV series, Japanese religious or cultural garb, Japanese-origin video games or Japanese school or state uniforms. If your costume originates from any other country, it does not qualify. (Please feel free to enter non-qualifying costumes in the Hall Cosplay Contest)."

You will note that it's talking about the costumes.
From your post regarding the Secret Service skit, it sounded like you were using anime characters from two different series to play each part. There is nothing in the rules forbidding the anime characters from portraying American Secret Service agents (in fact, I think there were some anime that included that - and there are certainly some Japanese live action shows that also had American Secret Service agents as characters).  

It would be funny if all the Secret Service Agents wore Lolita outfits  :D  (but that's just me being whimsical....)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:01:34 am by Runa »

Offline naygo

• Oni
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 09:10:08 pm »
Hello~

Out of curiosity, I need to know which words would be inappropriate for a PG-13 Left 4 Dead skit. I know at least three or four words that aren't acceptable because of how small of children will be attending and as it'll be our first skit, so we'd really rather not try to push our luck too far.

I ask because Left 4 dead is rated mature for gore, violence and strong language at least. They curse A LOT, so I need to know to what extent I need to edit the language so it will be good for everyone.

(mostly I'd like to know if "God damn it" and "Tits" would be okay because those are some of one of the character favorite words and I know I'll need to edit a lot of their mouths and so far it hasn't been too bad... but I'm running into some difficulties trying to NOT curse when it's in their character.

Any help would be great.
Going to Akicon this year for the first time (With my gf devyrae) as:
-Malik Ishtar
-Shadow the Hedghog
-?????

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 01:04:49 pm »
nvm sending an email
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:05:20 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 12:23:20 am »
>Japanese only Costumes allowed
Welp have fun with that, Seems like a insult to anyone wishing to have their costumes judged aren't of Japanese origin.

But It's your call, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:24:15 am by Classy Viking »
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 12:49:42 pm »
>Japanese only Costumes allowed
Welp have fun with that, Seems like a insult to anyone wishing to have their costumes judged aren't of Japanese origin.

But It's your call, I guess.

We're just enforcing the rules that have always been present.

Also, given that workmanship is nearly full - and we're still a week before convention - if we'd allowed costumes not of Japanese origin, then the workmanship would have been totally full before the start of August... again resulting in lots of disappointment because we'd be turning away a bunch of people. Since we only have a few hours for costume judging - and I'm not going to short-change the costume entries by shortening the judging time to allow more entries - we have to make cuts someplace. There are plenty of other conventions where those other costumes can be judged....

Offline stencilSparkler

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 10:26:33 pm »
i know the cosplay contest is already over for this year but i had a question: what if the costume was a lolita version of a non japanese character, like a homestuck character for example? would that be allowed, or still considered "not japanese"?
kcon 2012: trickster rose lalonde (homestuck)

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 01:11:41 pm »
^ Even though I don't know the rules this year I say you should ask yourself these questions first: "Do I want my costume to be judged?" If yes then ask, "Did I make at least %60 of this costume?" Last I checked for the costume contest you had to at least make half of it yourself. There hasn't been any rules about characters in skits. If you want to have a skit then you should be just fine. That is unless they change it this year.

I have a question of my own, This year I am making two costumes I want to enter in the costume contest. I'll be wearing one and my friend will be wearing the other. Now since she most she is doing for the costume is buying the contacts, the fangs, and maybe the wig. Everything else will be made by me. Can I enter both costumes under my name?
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 01:54:02 pm »
^ Even though I don't know the rules this year I say you should ask yourself these questions first: "Do I want my costume to be judged?" If yes then ask, "Did I make at least %60 of this costume?" Last I checked for the costume contest you had to at least make half of it yourself. There hasn't been any rules about characters in skits. If you want to have a skit then you should be just fine. That is unless they change it this year.

I have a question of my own, This year I am making two costumes I want to enter in the costume contest. I'll be wearing one and my friend will be wearing the other. Now since she most she is doing for the costume is buying the contacts, the fangs, and maybe the wig. Everything else will be made by me. Can I enter both costumes under my name?
Yes, enter the costumes as a "group costume entry" (they'll be judged as a set)... then be sure to mention to the judges that you made both of the costumes.   :)

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 07:02:13 pm »
Thanks, for letting me know
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve