Author Topic: Policy on Costume height/stilts?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
Policy on Costume height/stilts?
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:09:48 pm »
I want to make a Mitochondrial Eve from Parasite Eve cosplay. The thing is, I'm a stickler for accuracy, and while I'm sure the hands won't be a problem, I'm worried about the sheer height of the costume. I am 5'4 1/2", and proportionally would need about two more feet to do the character right. I plan to get drywall stilts to wear during con, with my skirt ending a few inches above them so as to not get tangled. I checked con policy, but didn't see anything like this about it. I know you can't have props/costumes that would impede the flow of traffic, and I don't think the costume would. I just don't want to get there after hundreds and hundreds of hours of work and animatronics only to find out my stilts rule the costume out.

So, does anyone know what the policy/rules for something like this is?
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Policy on Costume height/stilts?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:12:36 pm »
Back in '09 there was someone who went as the weapon-woman thing from D. Gray Man (I think the character's name had Mary or Maria in it or something).  She wore stilts that made her 8 feet tall, or so.  As far as I know, there is nothing restricting stilts, except common sense.  I'm sure that your 7' 4.5" would be fine.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:54:56 pm »
Well u know the location. would it be practical to wear em at that con?
I'm also not sure if kcon has a height restriction policy (like for weapons and stuff)
I do know that they would not allow that costume at anime expo. :)
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:36:06 pm »
I would e-mail ops at operations@kumoricon.org they either would know or direct you to the right person who could make the call.

Off the top of my head tho, thinking of other costumes that were big or had the potential for harm, (thinking of a pie head that almost blinded me ) were required to have a handler with them at all times.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:38:42 pm »
I'll probably con my friend Emilie (who I want to persuade to do PE2 Eve with me) to be a handler if it turns out the costume needs one. I'm gonna put a lot of effort and time into practicing the cosplay with stilts and the hands. I'll e-mail them, thanks n.n
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:50:12 pm »
You definitely would want a handler, especially for going through crowded areas. Walking on stilts - especially in a full length dress - is quite different from walking around without them, so be certain to practice so you can do it relatively gracefully. Keep in mind that the hotel has several staircases, so you may find yourself "stuck" in only one section if you can't manage stairs / the elevator. 

Also, I'd recommend you investigate the door and ceiling heights for all the areas where you want to walk around. The girl who did the D Gray Man constume on stilts pretty much stuck to the stage (for Cosplay entry) and the foyer just outside main events hall. I think she removed the stilts for travelling in other parts of the hotel. 

Then again, you could always do a Chibi version   ;)

Offline pepito

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »
As with all costuming - keep safety in mind.

So long as your costume does not put anyone in danger (including yourself) it should be fine with KCon and Hotel Staff. I stand roughly 7' high in either my Jason or Predator suit and ive never had any issues, I do however have a lackey check my clearence and avoid the stairs :)

Good luck and can't wait to see it

-P