Author Topic: Kumoricon Pre-Party, 2011  (Read 5159 times)

Offline EcleC

• Oni
Kumoricon Pre-Party, 2011
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:29:19 pm »
Hey Kumoriconistas,

My name is Kirin and I am putting ideas together to throw the pre-party for Kumoricon 2011  ;D. The event will be the night before the con, which means Friday, Sept. 2, and it will be free to Attendees of Kumoricon.

In looking for venues, it was suggested that I post the idea up here and see where people would most want to have this party.

My first ideas are 1) Holocene; 2) The Woods; 3) Ground Kontrol (site of last year's Pre-Party). I am definitely open to other suggestions, including venues in Vancouver. I have not researched availability yet... just brain storming for now.

Thanks for your replies... and here's to an amazing con this year!

-Kirin

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Kumoricon Pre-Party, 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:36:46 pm »
Well, if you want something in downtown, Pop Culture might be a great place to consider.  I don't know what their hours are, but they seem cool enough to extend their hours if you were to pre-arrange the date to them.  They have a LOT of sodas to choose from, including some ramune.  They have some foods, but it's mostly hot dogs with various topping schemes (they have one that I don't remember the name, but it has MUCHO QUESO AZUL!)
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline EcleC

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:08:50 pm »
I haven't heard of this place... sounds cool.
Thanks for the rec; I'll check it out.

Kirin

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »
Not a problem.  If it helps any, it can be found on Main Street and 20th.  If you want to call them, here's their number: (360) 750-1784.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:36:46 pm »
What about looking into places close to where the convention is going to be.  A lot of people will be up there early or for reg and then have nothing to do for the next 12-18ish hours.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 10:15:41 pm »
The reason I was thinking Pop Culture is because they have many international sodas, including Ramune, and a large selection of hot dog arrangements.  They also have board games.

For something closer,... hmm... Subway?  There's a Korean place nearby; it's name is something like A Little Pine Tree.  I can look into it again.  Nearby the Subway is a Laotian/Thai place called Tiger's Garden; good saké.  Jerusalem Café for those who are into Mediterranean cuisine (kinda expensive, though...).  There's a place called Boomer's that I've heard is good, but I've never been there myself.

Offline rukavampireknight

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:21:59 am »
Pop culture really isn't to far from the hotel it's just a little bit of a walk or drive but i think they would be willing to host this party and it is a nice large space probably bigger then a cafe or something. The people that work there are super fun and would probably be very friendly and accomedating to such a large group of people. Most cafe's don;t really like huge amounts of people.

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »
Oooh, this looks interesting- what's gonna be there? :D

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline Randonarnold

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:34:17 pm »
will the pre-party be 18+ only?

Offline EcleC

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »
Thanks for input regarding this show... I looked into venues close to the hotels in Vancouver... including the Atrium near downtown, and they were smallish. The most logical was the Red Lion stage itself, but of course they are setting up Saturday's Opening all day and night Friday, so that stage is not available for a show.

I also learned that many of you are in Portland as it is, so I checked in with some Downtown PDX venues that made sense. I wanted something convenient to the many people in Portland. It turned The Someday Lounge was really interested. For those of you who haven't been there, the Someday Lounge is a great venue, my favorite in town for great music. They have a large screen for projections, and room to dance!
Long story short, I booked it there. So that's the exciting news, and not meant to discourage those of you in Vancouver who want to attend. If a few of you express interest, I'd be happy to help organize a ride share situation.

Here's the info, which I'll also put in a separate post:

Sept. 2, 8pm;
Venue: The Someday Lounge, downtown PDX
$5 cover
21 and over*

Please see my other post (soon) for more details.

Cheers!

Kirin

* I know, this sucks. I wanted all ages but them's the rules. There's good news here as well though! Disko Warp, who hosted this party last year, is having one again party at Pop Culture, which Washougal_Otaku recommended. As far as I know it's all ages. So there's something for everyone this year!

Offline rukavampireknight

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:04:44 pm »
Thanks for input regarding this show... I looked into venues close to the hotels in Vancouver... including the Atrium near downtown, and they were smallish. The most logical was the Red Lion stage itself, but of course they are setting up Saturday's Opening all day and night Friday, so that stage is not available for a show.

I also learned that many of you are in Portland as it is, so I checked in with some Downtown PDX venues that made sense. I wanted something convenient to the many people in Portland. It turned The Someday Lounge was really interested. For those of you who haven't been there, the Someday Lounge is a great venue, my favorite in town for great music. They have a large screen for projections, and room to dance!
Long story short, I booked it there. So that's the exciting news, and not meant to discourage those of you in Vancouver who want to attend. If a few of you express interest, I'd be happy to help organize a ride share situation.

Here's the info, which I'll also put in a separate post:

Sept. 2, 8pm;
Venue: The Someday Lounge, downtown PDX
$5 cover
21 and over*

Please see my other post (soon) for more details.

Cheers!

Kirin

* I know, this sucks. I wanted all ages but them's the rules. There's good news here as well though! Disko Warp, who hosted this party last year, is having one again party at Pop Culture, which Washougal_Otaku recommended. As far as I know it's all ages. So there's something for everyone this year!
So when is the party at pop culture being held because i would like to go

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 08:40:24 pm »
Okay guys, looks like we have two different options for Friday night-before-con fun for people this year.

For those that like Portland...

Pre-party with the Laser Trolls at the Someday Lounge.  This event is 21+, and you can find more details here.

Or, if you prefer to stay in Vancouver....

Disko Warp presents SPEED UP!! at Pop Culture.  This is an all ages event, and more details are here.

And so questions and comments stay in the appropriate place, I'm going to lock this thread :)
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator