Author Topic: public cosplay tripping  (Read 2750 times)

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
public cosplay tripping
« on: May 02, 2011, 11:13:20 pm »
yeah... wanted to try that till a friend of mine posted 2 cosplayers getting arrested for cosplaying in fb. not sure if its in america, but i just wanna ask... do people here get arrested for wearing something out of the ordinary like cosplay?

lets say something not so extreme, like kaito's get up.
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: public cosplay tripping
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49:13 pm »
That's the wonderful thing about living in a free country, you don't get arrested for wearing silly things. Breaking public decency laws by running about with no clothes on is another matter, but nobody will arrest you for dressing up like a singing computer program and prancing about a mall.

There would be massive stings at conventions if it was against the law :\

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:02:20 am »
cosplaying in fb.

like kaito's get up.

What does "fb" mean?  And who's Kaito?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:06:25 am »
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:59:18 pm »
I've never had any issues really when cosplaying in public. My group and I will sometimes have random cosplay days, and if anything people seem to be amused by it. We'll occasionally get questions from people who are curious or interested as to why we're dressed up, but that's to be expected.

The only issue my group and I has ever ran into is cosplaying in certain malls. In one day we got kicked out of two malls (Lloyd Center and then Clackamas Town Center). We weren't being disrespectful or anything of the sort, but apparently some malls have a "no face-paint that can obstruct your identity" rule. Which none of us had ever heard of before. But because of the nature of our Mad Hatter's make-up, we had to leave.

Just be respectful when cosplaying in public (remember that you're NOT at a con), be aware, use common sense, and you shouldn't have any problems. ;)

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 02:01:14 pm »
lemme get the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DD963DD6Q

...where was the arrest?  I don't get it.  It looks like they just got scolded for running around.

its short for facebook, and kaito is this dude

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/5800000/Kaito-vocaloids-5802285-350-400.jpg

I was wondering, and oh, I see.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:06:54 pm »
Yeah, that's definitely not an arrest. They were being kicked out of a mall. Being arrested is when they handcuff you, throw you in the crown vic, and take you downtown.

Also, how do we know they were being kicked out JUST for cosplaying? The video doesn't provide any information. A lot of cosplayers tend to be disruptive/rude when cosplaying at malls and get kicked out. I know cosplayers have been kicked out of Lloyd various times.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 03:01:38 pm »
That reminds me. I actually had a Hetalia meetup last December and we got kicked out because our massive group (well over 20 people) were being too loud. So it wasn't the costumes that got us kicked out, it was the loud noises/too many people.
I soppose the only reason to get kicked out of a store or mall because of your costume would be if you're wearing a mask or anything else that covers up your face, which makes sense considering they want to see your face if you steal something (which we're not, but it never hurts for mall staff to play it safe). I've never heard of being arrested JUST because of your costume though. That would just be silly. It would be no less ridiculous than getting arrested for going out wearing colors that don't match, or wearing a summer shirt in winter.

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 04:34:19 pm »
A lot of cosplayers who hang out at malls and get in trouble= bad behavior...... You guys don't play like 5 year olds in the mall, YOU ARE GOING TO GET KICKED OUT. Common sense?

1I usually only go outside to cosplay for photoshoots now and if we go to the mall afterwards I usually try to bring a change of clothes and a more natural colored wig to wear.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:02:33 pm by meep »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 04:46:26 pm »
Did they get arrested or kicked out of the mall? We have been threatened to be kicked out several times. Mall security does not have the power to arrest someone.

Offline Vysh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 05:57:12 pm »
The law that states that you can't have any portion of your face covered is always confusing to me. I cosplayed reita and the mall security made me take off my noseband, Understandable of course. But i asked the lady about the law so she recited it to me.
 Then i asked her about sunglasses. Because I was honestly confused how people could wear sunglasses, covering you eyes which are more used for identification than a nose would be. And she refused to answer me and ignored me from then on. Could anyone answer that question for me?
I was a Prinny and Ryouga Hibiki for K-con 2011, got any pictures? I'd love to see them

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 02:25:45 pm »
Shades are a tool for protecting ones vision, and they don't cover an entire face.  If there were a need to see the eyes, security could ask them to take them off.  The wearer was the option to remove them (which there shouldn't be any reason why people shouldn't) or keep wearing them.  I'm not sure what would legally occur next, but that's mainly because I've never had to worry.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 03:20:50 pm »
Also, when I read the thread title I thought the topic was cosplayers getting high in public, while in costume. .
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »
I actually thought it was cosplayers tripping people in public at first.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:15 pm »
This may sound like a trivial distinction, but it's actually kinda important: It is not against the law to have your face covered in public. It isn't even against the law to have it covered on private property, like a mall.

It may be against the policy of the mall, but all they can do is ask you to uncover it, and tell you that you will be required to leave unless you uncover it. Even then, you're still not breaking the law if you refuse to uncover your face. (But you are now breaking the law against trespassing, since an agent of the property owner has told you to leave.)

Sorry for ranting; it just bugs me how often these days company policy gets mistaken for government law. Companies can frequently buy laws written the way they want, but they aren't (yet) allowed to directly set the laws.

Also, when I read the thread title I thought the topic was cosplayers getting high in public, while in costume. .

:D

I actually thought it was cosplayers tripping people in public at first.

:D :D

(Have I mentioned lately that I love you guys?)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.