Author Topic: prop help ! and etc.  (Read 5054 times)

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
prop help ! and etc.
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:22:52 pm »
so , i wasn't sure if we had this .. but i'm sure we all have props for a certain cosplay & yadda yadda.
Some may need help or can give some links to give help on making whatever you need.
even stores you recommend to help the endless search of shoes , gloves , weapons , you name it !

I'll put some good guides once i find them or if you got some c:

LINKS
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
Re: prop help ! and etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:23:41 pm »
STARTING OFF.

i need help on this :C
.. i dont have pierced ears so i have to do clip ons.

any suggestions ?
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline Blender

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:23:10 pm »
Find a tutorial online.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4800110_own-clip-earrings.html

There's one I found.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:49:18 pm »
And you can make the gemstone out of clay and paint

Offline bluewolf130

• Sailor Scout
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:12:55 pm »
I need to make Panty's backlace and Stocking's stripes. I've already started making Stripes but I'm having a lot of trouble with Backlace, I really don't even know how to go about it considering I have never made a prop gun before and I don't have a lot of experience with props in general.
If anyone can find some tutorials on both weapons it would be greatly appreciated!!
Kumoricon '10 cosplays:
Shizuma Hanazono from Strawberry Panic!
Takuto Kira from Full Moon wo Sagashite

Offline Kokotankuu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:35:03 am »
A friend of mine makes props gallore and can make prettybmuch anuthig with thought. He's made my keyblades from wood and extensive research on how to do various other props as well. All of his stuff is dead on in accuracy and really sturdy and good quality. I can't remember his name on he boards but I'm sure it has something to do with the dread pirate since that's who he usually cosplays as.  He's based out of Corvallis.  He makes anything from staves and keyblades to swords and boxes.

As for the ear ring you could always resin cast the jewel.  Clip ons work pretty well just make sure you add a thin chain or hook for the jewel. Clay can be heavy or really light depending on what kind you use so be careful and do research. Resin castng is highly exothermic so if you try that route make sure it's well vented or better outside. It's so hot it can melt some molds so be careful with that too sometimes it's better to make your own mold out of something heat resistant

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:36:48 am by Kokotankuu »
Cosplay '13

Princess Merida again?
Steam Punk-100%

~Mad World Creations

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:56:12 am »
ok, so im making ranmao's ball thingies but im having some issues. i got some pvc pipes for the staff part but they are too flimsy. i might try copper pipes but... eh. any ideas?
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 10:04:38 pm »
A friend of mine makes props gallore and can make prettybmuch anuthig with thought. He's made my keyblades from wood and extensive research on how to do various other props as well. All of his stuff is dead on in accuracy and really sturdy and good quality. I can't remember his name on he boards but I'm sure it has something to do with the dread pirate since that's who he usually cosplays as.  He's based out of Corvallis.  He makes anything from staves and keyblades to swords and boxes.

His name on here is DreadPirateRoberts, silly. You should know that ;)
2012-14- Assistant Artist Alley Coordinator
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline Kokotankuu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 01:35:36 pm »
ok, so im making ranmao's ball thingies but im having some issues. i got some pvc pipes for the staff part but they are too flimsy. i might try copper pipes but... eh. any ideas?

post the pictures. I'd love to take a look
Cosplay '13

Princess Merida again?
Steam Punk-100%

~Mad World Creations

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:45:54 pm »
ill find some reference pictures but i havent decided whether or not i wanna make it. ill probably make it though.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ranmao/BloodPixie_pictures/69526722re8.jpg?o=6

so yeah... thats what im up against. i want to make it weatherproof as well... but im not sure if i can.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »
so um any ideas on this?

without paying $100

Possible cosplay 2012 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:13:50 pm »
use builders foam then just paint it black. as for the staff part... use copper pipe or a dowl (wood thing) and paint it silver. home depot and michael's is your friend!
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 06:44:52 pm »
oh damn it now I have to stop being lazy.........

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 06:47:28 pm »
just make sure oyu get LOTS of reference pictures. the gold parts shouldnt be hard either.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 08:19:56 pm »
probably a good idea

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 09:59:13 pm »
the yellow circle looks like a gem. i would see if micheal's has any big rhinestones.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 02:08:16 am »
STARTING OFF.

i need help on this :C
.. i dont have pierced ears so i have to do clip ons.

any suggestions ?

Michaels and Joann's both sell blank clip on earrings. It's a staple at most major craft stores. Walmart might even sell them. If that's your only cosplay issue with that costume, you are in excellent shape ;) Hot glue works wonders on those earrings, too, I'd bet.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 02:12:19 am »
ill find some reference pictures but i havent decided whether or not i wanna make it. ill probably make it though.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ranmao/BloodPixie_pictures/69526722re8.jpg?o=6

so yeah... thats what im up against. i want to make it weatherproof as well... but im not sure if i can.

Get two large styrofoam balls from Joanns or Michaels' floral section and jam two large 3/4th inch or 1 inch thick dowel rods in there. Pull the rods out, squirt hot glue in, shove the rods back in, and voila. Instant base. For weather proofing, I would take air dry clay and smooth it around the balls. That can get expensive so you can use newspaper bits and paper mache (one part water, one part Elmers glue) or modge podge to stick it on. Add a layer, let dry, add another layer, let dry, repeat, sand down, spray with primer/sealer, decorate, and then spray with a weather proof varnish. Boom. Done.

With the styrofoam balls, those suckers can cost a LOT so hoard coupons and don't buy them without! I used to work at Michaels, and it was shocking how much a large ball of aired out plastic costs.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:21:12 am by lychee-twist »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 02:17:05 am »
the yellow circle looks like a gem. i would see if micheal's has any big rhinestones.

Not like that they don't. You can make your own by casting resin and adding silver foil to the back of your gem when it dries. Some individual cosplay commissioners will make these for a small fee. I do believe that AmethystAngel does. She's very good at making resin gems.

Another option would be to track down a gold ornament of the right side. You might strike it lucky at Goodwill or Value Village, but if this is for Kumoricon, the Christmas decorations should be out in Michaels at the very least, and I'd bet you can find one there. Just be careful since they might be glass.

so um any ideas on this?

without paying $100

As far as constructing that axe... thing, corrugated cardboard and dowel rod for the base shape, craft foam to fine tune the shape, and poster board to make it clean will be your cheapest method. For something more difficult but with less material, you can carve down a block of pink insulation foam (Available at Lowes or Home Depot), but you can only buy a giant sheet of the stuff. When you carve it, the bits get staticky and stick everywhere, too. If it was me, I'd just opt for cardboard, posterboard, and craft foam on a dowel rod. You'll get it.

Joanns does sell a thick craft foam that cuts beautifully so long as you have a long enough blade that's sharp. As soon as it gets dull, the edges catch and the foam gets raggedy. Luckily it can be sanded with fine sand paper well enough. Drawback: if accidentally press your fingernail into the foam, that dent isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Cardboard is one of my favorite cosplay materials, and I love working with it since it's cheap and easy (but not durable). Hot glue works great, and if you spraypaint it, just hit it with a primer/sealer like Killz then once dry, paint it whatever color your li'l heart desires.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:20:10 am by lychee-twist »

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 06:58:31 am »

that is a really good idea. I was starting to worry about the gem.

As far as constructing that axe... thing, corrugated cardboard and dowel rod for the base shape, craft foam to fine tune the shape, and poster board to make it clean will be your cheapest method. For something more difficult but with less material, you can carve down a block of pink insulation foam (Available at Lowes or Home Depot), but you can only buy a giant sheet of the stuff. When you carve it, the bits get staticky and stick everywhere, too. If it was me, I'd just opt for cardboard, posterboard, and craft foam on a dowel rod. You'll get it.

Joanns does sell a thick craft foam that cuts beautifully so long as you have a long enough blade that's sharp. As soon as it gets dull, the edges catch and the foam gets raggedy. Luckily it can be sanded with fine sand paper well enough. Drawback: if accidentally press your fingernail into the foam, that dent isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Cardboard is one of my favorite cosplay materials, and I love working with it since it's cheap and easy (but not durable). Hot glue works great, and if you spraypaint it, just hit it with a primer/sealer like Killz then once dry, paint it whatever color your li'l heart desires.

how easy do you think it would be to cut out the shape?

Offline Kokotankuu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 11:45:54 am »
I knowthat crafters foam is really forgiving and easily adjusted with heat.  As for cardboard is you went that route rake note od the item and try drawing it on paper. To scale or course and using that as a template for either the card board or the crafters foam.
Cosplay '13

Princess Merida again?
Steam Punk-100%

~Mad World Creations

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:20 pm »
Jinx, it's fully possible, but you'll need a very sharp razor and have to cut the cardboard at an angle to narrow it down, finally having to make the sharp part with something like craft foam, but tag board (aka posterboard) will really give you the edge you want. Clay will also work, just sand it down.

I have a lot of hours in with cardboard, so if you need help, feel free to ask. Find an old box (even a pizza box will work) and see how it goes just trying to form the more difficult spots. It will take time, but there have been a lot of crazy things done with cardboard.

http://www.featherweightcosplay.com/index.php Featherweight's props are all made out of comic cardboard pieces, modgepodge, and hot glue with a lot of sanding. He's got some tutorials that might help you figure things out.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 08:21:11 am »
I need help finding brown schoolgirl loafers. Two pairs; one a size 7/7.5, the other a size 5.5

Help would be awesome! :D

Offline Zandre

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 03:38:04 pm »
anyone know what i could use to make a sheath for a sword? I've made the sword but i don't have a good sheath for it

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 03:42:20 pm »
Look up Target.com, payless.com, and hit up the Goodwill's in your area. That's my best advice.

Here's what I found off  of Target.com:

http://www.target.com/Merona-Mireya-ORing-Flats-Brown/dp/B001GIFIRU/ref=br_1_2?ie=UTF8&node=347674011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid3&searchPage=5&sr=1-2&qid=1303598172&rh=target_com_primary_color-bin%3ABrown|target_com_primary_color-bin%3ABeige&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Cstyle_name%2Ctarget_com_shoe_size-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

http://www.target.com/Merona-Madisyn-Faux-Crocodile-Loafers/dp/B003UZ4H7O/ref=br_1_19?ie=UTF8&node=347674011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid3&searchPage=5&sr=1-19&qid=1303598172&rh=target_com_primary_color-bin%3ABrown|target_com_primary_color-bin%3ABeige&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Cstyle_name%2Ctarget_com_shoe_size-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

I bought some loaferish heels from Goodwill for seven bucks myself. Unless you want matching shoes, I would go for that.

Zandre, Posterboard to wrap the sword with and craft foam over that, and more posterboard to make it harder looking? I don't really know.

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 08:04:50 pm »
anyone know what i could use to make a sheath for a sword? I've made the sword but i don't have a good sheath for it

cardboard works too.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 08:35:28 pm »

cardboard works too.

Cardboard would work, but you would need to either cut it very boxily or really strip the parts that would bend into corners otherwise you'll end up with weird dents going down it.

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 08:44:33 pm »
i was thinking more like a cut out guide thing for the posterboard.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays: