Author Topic: Question about Kumoricon and food vendors  (Read 2105 times)

Offline KiraTOD

• Cabbit
Question about Kumoricon and food vendors
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:08:51 am »
I was just wondering why there is never a food vendor thing going on at kumoricon. is it just because of the hotel and their stupid rules or is it just to prevent other problems that arise from food booths(legal wise)?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:10:05 am by KiraTOD »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Re: Question about Kumoricon and food vendors
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 01:51:03 am »
Not last year, but a couple of years ago there was Nekopan bakery, a cupcake booth. They made fabulous cupcakes, but they stopped for some reason. I just checked their website, and the account has been suspended so I'm guessing that booth is now gone for good. That makes me terribly sad, but life goes on.

I would imagine two reasons: 1) Rules of the hotel and safety regulations and 2) Every location that Kumoricon has been at has had very easy access to food places. The same will be for Red Lion at the Quay which has a restaurant inside it and the, what is it, Hilton? Where was Kumoricon 2007 again? Anyways, around the second hotel there are a lot of places to eat and get food. It just requires a bit of walking is all.

I've never been to a convention that had food booths (Nekopan excluded). Any eating establishment within a convention space has always been there as a permanent fixture and not a hired or rented out place.

EDIT: Just as an added tidbit, you are also more than welcome to bring your own food, too. I've brought snacks and sandwich makings to convention many times. Just be sure you have a minifridge before bringing something that needs to be put in the refrigerator.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:52:34 am by lychee-twist »
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline suki

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:35 am »
I miss Nekopan cupcakes. :( They were so good! My favorite was the green tea chocolate cupcake. I remember someone saying way back that Nekopan couldn't sell their cupcakes in the Hilton @ downtown Portland because the hotel's regulations wouldn't allow them to (since they sold various snacks and had a restaurant there too). I was really disappointed hearing that. I thought they'd come back to Kumoricon once they weren't @ the portland hilton anymore! I haven't heard of anything for this year.

Please come back Nekopan and make oishii cupcakes for us once again! ;_;

Other than that, I remember there were some food vendors from Uwajimaya but those were all packaged snacks.

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:03:01 pm »
There is a farmers market in the park right across the street from the Hilton -> http://www.vancouverfarmersmarket.com/

It will be running all weekend if you're looking for fresh local food close to the convention space.
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »
Food in con is a way the hotel makes money so they don't allow much from outside, even the hot water for some past events has to come from the hotel.  Or if you buy some food from out side the con and you bring it into the lobby to munch, yeah they don't like that.

I know in the past it was EXTREMELY hard for neko pan to get in to sell food.  They were allowed because of 2 reasons, and even then it came down to right before con they were allowed.

1 They were selling something not available in any form from the hotel space eateries, gourmet specialty cupcakes from scratch - which is why uwajimaya booth can sell a few foods as well
2 Their cupcakes were made in a licensed bakery.  That's why every now and then when someone wants to just make cupcakes to sell at con they can't because it has to be in a licensed bakery

I really miss neko pan too.  Every year they were at con they gave me a free birthday cupcake.  Since most of the time my birthday is during con, it would be the cake I got on my actual birthday day

But yes while part of con is the fun of eating out, a few well planned food purchases can help, some fruit, bread, bagels, easy stuff.  I buy the 6 packs of bottled pop when on sale and save it to bring to con  because its easier to deal with then a can, and loads cheaper then the vending machines.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids