Author Topic: Oh Noooo. D:  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
Oh Noooo. D:
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:10:04 pm »
As much as I hate to say this, I won't be attending Kumoricon anymore. I will still be active on the forums, but I just won't be going to the con. I really want to go, but it costs $700 just to go. I'm not getting child support from my mom anymore, my dad is remodeling the house, I need new clothes. I'd just rather focus on more important things than cosplay.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Oh Noooo. D:
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:28:59 pm »
It's smart for you to look at what is realistic for you. Perhaps you might still be able to go to some of the mini-events?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 07:03:51 pm »
I highly doubt it. All of them are held from Eugene to Portland area.
I live 300 miles south of Portland.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »
Crap, how does it cost $700? And which city do you live in? There's a lot of people on these forums, including me, who live 300 miles south of Portland.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »
ashland? medford? cuz if ya do im right there with ya

Possible cosplay 2012 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 08:47:24 pm »
Well, there is gas money. Which we drive up there in a huge ford pick-up. Then there is hotel, eating costs, money for vendors.
Yes. That's not even including the cosplay.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:24:43 pm »
So go get a job already! There's a nickel mine nearby, go grub up some nickels!

You have until the start of September, that's 4 months and change to come up with what? $175 a month??? It can be done, if you really really want to.

And you don't have to cosplay. I don't. There aren't enough old geezers in anime, except for an old avatar for me to even try.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:37:45 pm »
Well, there is gas money. Which we drive up there in a huge ford pick-up. Then there is hotel, eating costs, money for vendors.
Yes. That's not even including the cosplay.
. . Don't drive up in a Ford pick-up. Really. Drive up in something with better mileage. The vendors? Don't bother. You can get that stuff at home for cheaper. Food costs aren't that bad if you go the unhealthy fast-food route and eat twice a day.

I remember someone mentioning you live in Douglas County in a different thread, so do I. Are you in Sutherlin? Winston? Those are pretty close by, I'm sure one of the local con-goers can give you a lift (the people I go up with always have a full car, so I can't offer).
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:55:01 am »
I'm only 14. I can't get a job.

I live in Myrtle Creek. 20 minutes south of Roseburg. I can't go with strangers to the con. We only have a truck that would fit all of us because my dad, my sister, me, and his girlfriend all go.
So, there's no way out of this hole. I've decided that I'm not going.

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:01:59 am »
^ This is why I try my damndest to avoid small towns. It's like a black hole. Can't get to anything.

I live in a small town but it's historic. Since it served as a truck stop between Seattle and Portland, we have everything necessary to leave without any help. There's too many bad people though. The only real blessing is the train station. Find a city that has one of those and you'll be fine the rest of your life. I'm not kidding. :/
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:07 pm »
I don't find living in a small town a bad thing...I quite like it..
Not much traffic, the folk are nice, and everyone knows everyone one way or another...
It just upsets me that Oregon's economy is so bad.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 03:53:55 pm »
Okay, sorry for trying to help you. :-\
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 04:01:18 pm »
I don't find living in a small town a bad thing...I quite like it..
The twin cities have no:
conventions, technically savvy individuals, mass transit, basic labor jobs, good weather, massage therapists, valid bill proposals, night life, acceptable Wireless/Cellular areas(I actually had to shut one of them down last year), surgeons, groups that share any of my music/animation/manga/movie/car/code interests.

It does have:
One club, TONS of retail sites(Victoria Secret and Sears being the only large businesses), a Summer car show, antiques, a useless coal mine, a skating rink(not ice), a daycare center, malls, numerous hair salons, good parking, overpriced apartments everywhere, a useless airport, lots of homeless, tons of crime, a historic train station, few churches, a supreme court, hard to find franchise distribution centers for Olympia, Portland, Seattle and Spokane. Oh, and 15%+ unemployment.

I'm guessing this sort of reflects where you are on a bad day. I go through hell ALL THE TIME because there is never any improvement. This is the reason I often come off as bitter or depressing. I'm not but moving from a large city like Phoenix and then coming to a small town and being told I "can't do this" every morning really pisses me off. I don't like doing lots of nothing. I would rather do volunteer work than sit on my ass and I can't even do that since there are no programs anymore. I can thrive when an economy goes bad but not when my area stagnates and shuts down. I have no idea how a few exchange students get by here. I'm assuming they nearly go broke at the end of the year then go back home. I hope the yearly flood strikes us harder than it did last year. Maybe that will give me something to do. :/
Don't drive up in a Ford pick-up.
Hah. I can tell you more than you ever want to know about Ford pickups and anything that runs on Diesel...But I won't. My solution is to drive an American car instead of one of the giant gas sucking machines in my yard. >.<'

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 04:41:24 pm »
Twin cities? I thought Minneapolis and St. Paul had more going on than that. Or are you meaning Centralia, Chehalis? The only ones I can think of that would qualify.

Tell me if my buddy still has his brothers working for him at that tire store he opened up, Stewart Brothers. I haven't been up there in a while.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 04:47:12 pm »
Or are you meaning Centralia, Chehalis? The only ones I can think of that would qualify.
Awesome reading skillz, you haz them. O_o
Tell me if my buddy still has his brothers working for him at that tire store he opened up, Stewart Brothers. I haven't been up there in a while.
The tire place before 31 Ice Cream? You're talking about that? All I ever see around there are cars sitting in the lot with FOR SALE signs. I have never seen the shop open.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 04:56:53 pm »
Like I said, haven't been there in a while. Maybe he's having his brothers selling cars instead? Unless they all got real jobs elsewhere for a change.

Mew, does Greyhound bus stop in Roseburg?

Used to be able to tell kids to go pick berries if they wanted money over the summer. Like that worked on me. ha ha
Have Fun

Jay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 06:25:35 pm »
Greyhound definitely stops in Roseburg.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 07:07:24 pm »
Miria, will you be driving a gray Volkswagen bus north? Making a pit stop in Roseburg?

Wish I knew of a good place to eat there. Well, there's Abbey's Pizza, but who wants to drive another 160 miles after pizza?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 08:24:07 pm »
I'm 14...I can't go to Kumoricon without my dad...Therefore, buses, trains, or getting rides with someone else isn't an option.

Like i said before, I'm just not going. ^^; I appriciate all your help, but I've made up my mind.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 10:01:17 pm »
Miria, will you be driving a gray Volkswagen bus north? Making a pit stop in Roseburg?

Wish I knew of a good place to eat there. Well, there's Abbey's Pizza, but who wants to drive another 160 miles after pizza?
It's a blue type 3, but close enough. Also, try Lee's Chinese food. Delicious.

Haruko, alright, jeez.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 03:35:50 pm »
sad, hope you can be there next year ^^

Possible cosplay 2012 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/