Author Topic: Chinese!  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Su Lu

• Sailor Scout
Chinese!
« on: April 01, 2011, 06:51:04 pm »
I just saw a few thread one languages, so I thought, why not do one on Chinese? This year I started taking Chinese and I absolutely love it! if you haven't noticed my signature is in Chinese and my username is the pinyin of my Chinese name. My teacher is just epically awesome and gave all of her students Chinese names XD so is anyone else learning or speaking Chinese?
Kumoricon 2014!
I'm just hoping I can even make it this year...

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
Re: Chinese!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:30:24 pm »
At least at my school, the foreign language students have names in their foreign language because it makes saying someone's name flow better. At least, that was my theory.

I don't know Chinese or study it, but I've always wanted to learn it since my mother went to Hong Kong. :3
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:33:12 pm »
I studied Mandarin Chinese for five years in elementary school (1st-5th grades) and I loved it! We studied a lot of the culture at the same time, which was really neat. Unfortunately I remember next to nothing (I can only count up to 999, and say hello/thank you), which is really a shame. I've been meaning to try and pick it back up because I kept having massive flashbacks when I was taking Japanese in high school. I also really really really want to travel through China at some point in my life, and it would be awesome to, you know... Be familiar with the language. I traveled Europe a few summers ago and learned the hard way that it can be kind of tricky to communicate in countries where English isn't the first language, and English is all you speak :I

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:34:34 pm »
I've thought about learning Chinese but then I realized I had the same problem when learning French and Spanish. I'm a visual learner through unique characters and I guess I only have capacity for one set per language. Since Japanese already populates my mind, every other Eastern language(save Arabic) is now significantly difficult. Even though there's a significant difference in kanji between the languages, I still try basing certain ideas and pronunciations from what I've already learned in Japanese and it just doesn't work. (・´ω・`)

Chinese is an incredibly useful language seeing as how a very large chunk of the world population fluently speaks some variation of it. If I could figure out a way to learn it without undoing the entire past two years of my life I would probably be able to learn and retain this language better than everyone here.
foreign language students
Will teach you all the dirty words you want to know. <3
words
You describe my case better than I can. -_-
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 08:10:52 pm »
foreign language students
Will teach you all the dirty words you want to know. <3
Lies. I'm horrible with German swear words and can only tell you the basics. ):
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 08:17:43 pm »
Since Japanese already populates my mind, every other Eastern language(save Arabic) is now significantly difficult.

I had this problem. I still can't count any higher than about thirteen in Japanese without switching to Chinese. On the plus side, learning kanji was super easy because I half-remembered all of it. It just became learning to call them by different names. It was tough but I really love languages so I kept with it. I feel like learning a language like Thai or Korean or Vietnamese would be easier, though, because they don't have the same characters.

If I could figure out a way to learn it without undoing the entire past two years of my life I would probably be able to learn and retain this language better than everyone here.

Hey, yesterday I baked a humble pie. Have a slice. Or seven.

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:29:23 pm »
I took Mandarin Chinese for a year in high school, it was the only foreign language I've taken that gave me a special name. Mine was Ren Bai. I wish I had one for Turkish, but no, my teacher just says my name in a thick accent. Ha. I enjoyed Mandarin though! Memorizing all the characters and strokes was really hard though.
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »
Since Japanese already populates my mind, every other Eastern language(save Arabic) is now significantly difficult.

I had this problem. I still can't count any higher than about thirteen in Japanese without switching to Chinese. On the plus side, learning kanji was super easy because I half-remembered all of it. It just became learning to call them by different names. It was tough but I really love languages so I kept with it. I feel like learning a language like Thai or Korean or Vietnamese would be easier, though, because they don't have the same characters.

If I could figure out a way to learn it without undoing the entire past two years of my life I would probably be able to learn and retain this language better than everyone here.

Actually, Vietnamese doesn't even use characters anymore. They use the French alphabet. /randomfact

. . I'll try to put relevancy to this thread if I post again, sorry. >.>
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:42:57 pm »
Actually, Vietnamese doesn't even use characters anymore. They use the French alphabet. /randomfact

I'm aware! Which would probably just make it even easier to learn, hahaha. That's why when it comes to learning languages I'm more comfortable with the Latin/Germanic languages... Learning a whole new alphabet/system of writing and reading can be a little overwhelming at first.

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 09:11:55 pm »
Lies. I'm horrible with German swear words and can only tell you the basics. ):
Danke. -_-
*noms*
*huggles violently* <3
Learning a whole new alphabet/system of writing and reading can be a little overwhelming at first.
Only happens if you don't condition yourself for focus or when you've lost your ability to learn. Regardless of my diet and environment, there's a process I have to go through to make sure neither of those things interfere. I'd start taking classes but we both know that nothing good ever comes out of our schools.

Since my college is cutting any class that has less than 50 students, there goes any shred of that happening. >.>'

(Removed grossly inappropriate content per forum code of conduct.  ~randompvg)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:43:04 am by randompvg »
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:38 pm »
My mother speaks it, and I have family in China. I don't speak it myself, but it's a cool language. I love the way it sounds spoken.

Offline dafe01

• Cabbit
    • Face Book
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 01:08:04 pm »
Hey if you are interested in learning it i can help yea. I dont use the forms much but you can add me to QQ

I'm 897926341 :-)
(>^_-)>  ÐɋƒƐѳ1  <(^_^<)
            www.897926341.qzone.qq.com

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 05:30:03 pm »
Which Chinese dialect are we talking about? Is Mandarin the only one taught? And all the Chinese restaurants have Cantonese speakers. lol useful. not. Like trying to order food using Cantonese dish names in Russia. They just look at you funny.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 09:53:28 am »
Considering I'm part Chinese, i guess i should be learning some... my sister knows a lot and tries to teach me sometimes but i'm just like "Acckkk nuu!" >.<

Not saying I don't like the language, but my parents usually either spoke to me in English or Tagalog (i'm mainly Filipino) as I was growing up. So yepp..
KUMORICON 2017
Mikasa Ackerman | Pikachu

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 04:13:28 pm »
hinde aioko salama my extent of Tagalog
Have Fun

Jay