Author Topic: Ideas/Suggestions For 2011!  (Read 3892 times)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Ideas/Suggestions For 2011!
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:08:23 am »
Hullo, all!

It's a long wait until the next Kumoricon, but "long wait" is just another word for "extra planning time", isn't it?  (All right, writerly types, I see you pulling up Thesaurus.com to thwart me.  Shush now.)

So I was wondering, what suggestions does everybody have for Creation Station shenanigans next year?  What worked for you last year?  What long-ago traditions would you like to see making a comeback?  What all-new events have you thought about?  The final decisions are of course up to the Station staff, but it's always nice to have a pool of ideas to draw from, yes?

- - -

Personally, I had a great time doing the filking panel.  (I had "Blast, Blast, Blast Your Foes" stuck in my head off and on for days.)  If the staff agrees, I'd love to do it again this year, maybe with a full hour-long slot (if one is available).

I've also been feeling nostalgic about the early Bedtime Stories, when we sometimes got actual blankets and pillows from the hotel to spread out on the floor.  Does anybody know what the odds are of our getting that sort of permission/endorsement from the Hilton or the Red Lion?

Oh, and generally, is it possible to request room placements?  In 2010, the Creation Station was kind of squirreled away from the main action.  The Station is such a wander-in, wander-out environment that I can't help wondering if the isolated location prevented people from wandering-in in the first place, especially during evening/nighttime programming.  It would be nice to have a more centrally located room in 2011, I think...though not too close to noisy events like the dance, unless there's very good soundproofing.  What are your opinions?

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Re: Ideas/Suggestions For 2011!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:56:32 am »
It might be good to talk to Programming early about this - I'm not sure what they have in mind for the former components of Creation Station. My best guess would be that the ones which have been the most popular in years past will be continued as panels, and that each one will need someone to run them as such. (nudge, nudge)

Sorry I can't be more helpful...
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:43:11 am »
The former components?  Is it not going to be run again next year?  D:

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:15:44 am »
Creation Station will not be dedicated space as it has been in the past, but we will still have the programming.  By splitting it out, we are able to be more flexible with room size (panels that are more popular will get bigger rooms, etc.)  A lot of the Creation Station staff are still part of the con, and still running fave panels.

Please, if you have a panel that you would like to see and you are willing to help run it, submit a panel form (it's after the deadline, but I am still accepting forms).
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:43:21 am »
Done, and done.   ;D   I suppose that does make sense, and I'm glad to hear that there was no falling-out or similar.  My forms are submitted, and I'm looking forward to a fun con!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 11:32:18 am »
@ FilkAeris, I look forward to whatever you run :)

As I mentioned in your filk panel thread:
For those of us who started and ran what became Creation Station (yourself included!),
i.e., first the 2003 Kumoricon Fanfic Contest and panel,
then the kumoricon_fanfiction Yahoo group,
then our Beta Station at KC 2004,
in all of which you were so integral a part,
our stated goal had always been that someday,
just as almost any anime con automatically has cosplay, karaoke, and gaming,
any anime con would automatically always have a huge chunk of its programming be fan creation how-tos, contests, performances, etc.
Cultivating that niche of programming in our own room,
then our own pair of rooms,
was a lovely luxury accorded to us by con directors for 7 years.
Our work was very successful,
in that the kinds of events we run have become so fully integrated into KC's sense of what it is as a con,
that KC simply wouldn't consider not having fanfic and fan art prog.
As Jaki mentioned, there is increased flexibility in matching room size to expected turnout for events;
no more long lines down the hall for sign-up and folks being turned away from Mouse's delightful fan craft panels, or Audrey and Sandi's Scenes from a Hat or Story, Story, Die!

So rest assured, fan creation programming is alive and well at Kumoricon!
Love you!
Remy.

P.S. If you haven't yet checked out this year's Fanfic Contest rules, I strongly encourage you to do so. Audrey and Sandi have come up with some neat innovations. The award categories and the rules have changed, entries that are not too adult will be up for evaluation by attendees as well as judges, entries will be archived, and (IMHO) best of all, a portion of one of the winning fanfics will be read at Closing Ceremonies!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).