Author Topic: Code Geass  (Read 3772 times)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Code Geass
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:21:53 pm »
(Please note: The following is not meant to reflect in any way on modern Japan, or on any modern Japanese people other than the writer and director of Code Geass.)

I'm only two minutes into the series, and it's already giving me a nasty vibe of being a "Japan was the poor pitiful victim of Western aggression in World War II" proxy anime. A strong one.

For those who haven't seen it, it describes itself as being set in 2010. But it shows two boys dressed in early-to-mid-20th century garb with houses of the same era in the background, and shows them watching the invading forces flying in. It then talks about how Japan is invaded by the Brittania empire (a map including the US labelled as "Brittania Empire" is shown, along with diagrams that vaguely resemble the island-hopping campaign in the Pacific) despite their neutrality, but they can't defend themselves against the new superweapon the Brittanians have come up with. It was showing scenes of war devastation and bemoaning the fate of Japan when I hit pause.

For those who have seen it: Please tell me it gets better than this? I've heard good things about the series, and don't mind this theme too much when it's a mild undercurrent. But it's an extreme turnoff when they really pound it in, at least to anyone who's familiar with how Japan spent most of the war brutally "defending" all of East Asia into submission - often with conduct that was reprehensible even by Hitler's standards. (This isn't an invocation of Godwin's Law, it's literal historical fact.)

Before I go back and either unpause it, or eject the DVD and send it back to Netflix, can anyone tell me whether this theme continues or just sets the stage for another story?
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Re: Code Geass
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:46:17 pm »
Uhh... >.>

At least for me, it came off as more about Lelouch, his story and life, but the war that's going on with Brittania will always be semi important to the plot because it has a lot to do with Lelouch.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:26:47 pm »
Relax, it's fiction.

I've seen people freaking out about how it's some kind of horrible blow to history and Japanese propaganda and all of that crap, but honestly, it's just a television show, and there aren't really any harmful parallels trying to be drawn.

Also, the first season is pretty bad, but it all pays off when you feel more connected to the characters in season two when stuff starts really going down. You'll see what I mean.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:17:33 pm »
Relax, it's fiction.

I've seen people freaking out about how it's some kind of horrible blow to history and Japanese propaganda and all of that crap, but honestly, it's just a television show, and there aren't really any harmful parallels trying to be drawn.

Also, the first season is pretty bad, but it all pays off when you feel more connected to the characters in season two when stuff starts really going down. You'll see what I mean.

I liked season one alright, but yeah season two is definitely... @___________@.... reaction worthy. xD

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:36:35 pm »
Its worth it in my opinion.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:06:16 pm »
Uhh... >.>

At least for me, it came off as more about Lelouch, his story and life, but the war that's going on with Brittania will always be semi important to the plot because it has a lot to do with Lelouch.

Its worth it in my opinion.

Thank you for the input. Without it, I probably would've given up on it because of the Phantom-esque melodrama and because of the minor hum of un-cute WWII parallels they draw. I'm near the end of the first season now, and... wow. I would've never expected that moment when he lost control of the Geass. (I'm trying really hard to be vague and not spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it.) It reminded me of something I keep relearning - sometimes horrible things happen, and the fact that they're unfair and should have never happened doesn't change anything. You can't go back. All you can do is move forward.

For all that some of the characters still bug the crap out of me, I have to admit the story has a lot of potential for the next season. I'll definitely keep watching. And again, thanks. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline lilyrosa143

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »
*SPOILER!!!!* 
At the end of season 2 be prepaired to cry.  :'( :'( :'( :'( actually, just stop on the second to last episode. what no, insed, just dont whatch the second season. because nothing good comes from defeating the bad guy half way through. it all leads to the inevidable event in the last episode that is filled with the world cheering Nunally crying out of open eyes and blood on zero's sword. And no its not what you think.
What does man value more than life, yet fear more than death and mortal strife? What the poor have the rich require, and what contented men desire. What the mizer spends and the spendthrift saves, and all men carry to there graves.