Author Topic: Spring 2011 Anime Season...What's In It For You???  (Read 14162 times)

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Spring 2011 Anime Season...What's In It For You???
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:38:40 pm »
Politically Incorrect Name For Spring 2011 Anime

I was going to type out the shows I am interested in viewing, but when I realized I am curious about at least 15, I thought that's too many. I was kind of worried, as there didn't seem to be much news that I knew of regarding the new season. Whew. Glad I was just a bit ahead of myself.

I think Moshidora is the one I am most interested in seeing how it is. That and the one for 30 year old otakus on how to find a woman. That sounds like way too much fun. I can only hope someone other than another otaku is doing the teaching.

Of special note, Ghost in the Shell has a new theatrical release coming out this month!

Have Fun

Jay

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Re: Spring 2011 Anime Season...What's In It For You???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:34:40 pm »
I was just coming to post a thread like this!

KAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIJJI
Kaiji 2, number one on my list. I screamed when I heard it was coming out about a month back. Besides that I'm also excited for the second season of Maria Holic, Deadmans Wonderland, and the two Black Lagoon OVA's. The Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo and Onigamiden movies will at least be amazing eyecandy but they look really good as well.

Things I'm not sure of that I'm going to try out are Ao no Exorcist, Spelunker Sensei, Dororon Enma-Kun Meeramera, and Showa Monogatari. I'll be checking out the 30 year old dating girl one just for lulz as well.

This season is going to be so much better then the last ;A;
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:50:50 pm »
Even though I don't come around here all that much, I figure I'll keep on filling out these threads with my seasonly goings-ons, if only to inspire others. I've got the same problem as OP, in that i ended up finding myself with some 20-ish shows i wanted to watch.

After some deliberation, I've narrowed it down to 16, from which I'll hopefully be able to thin it down to something manageable. Honestly, as long as i get to watch me some Kaiji, I'll be as happy as can be. I love me some zawa.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First impression list is done. I hope nothing else comes along worthy of watching, to be honest, because I ended up hoping to drop some to lighten the load, and I have more than i started with, none of which are remotely bad or droppable. It's a good season. A GOOD season. Hope this list helps anyone still on the fence about anything, or someone not sure where to jump in on this season.

Kampfer Fur Die Liebe:
I'm actually kind of disappointed, because Kampfer has some really neat plot going on in the background, and while the show basically ended up rolling around in really bad comic relief/ecchi episodes rather than address it, we were promised a resolution to the tiny amount of plot we were given with this OVA. But hey, instead, they give us one more comic relief episode about Natsuru going bra shopping, and promise us the plot NEXT TIME. And next time is apparently in September or something.
Oh well.
I still want a Harikiri Tiger.

DOG DAYS:
Seems okay, I guess. Some kid who knows parkour gets called to an alternate dimension of cat/dog eared people who engage in war via some kind of Ninja Warrior obstacle course. Lots of good voice actors in here, so I dont mind the mediocrity for now.

Nichijou:
I've been hearing people describe this show as "Cromartie with girls". I really can't disagree. Absolutely absurd in some kind of irresistible way. The animation is amazing, too, but that's pretty much expected of KyoAni.

Hen Zemi:
Basically, a show about college students doing studies on weird behavior/fetishes. Most of it is just talk, but it's still pretty R rated. Cute animation, and some interesting characters, I think I'll keep watching, especially with 13 minute episodes. I doubt they'll run out of interesting/funny content.

Stein;Gate:
To summarize: WEIRD TIME STUFF, DEAD GIRL, MAI WAIFU, 2CH REFERENCE, OH HEY WASN'T THAT GIRL DEAD?
Really weird, but i can't really say much as of now, seeing as I haven't played the VN. I have high expectations of Nitroplus, which probably will end up a problem if this follows in the footsteps of Chaos;Head.

Kaiji: Hakairoku Hen:
Basically the pinnacle of the season. Kaiji is so moe~

Hidan no Aria:
This feels all too much like any other JC Staff production. Animation shortcuts everywhere, bad scripting, and awkwardly inserted fanservice, all bound up in a premise just interesting enough to not drop. Not really something I'd recommend, but not bad enough to drop yet.

A Channel:
It's cute and all, but the main character is a little TOO dumb, and while I can see the yonkoma had some decent plot, they're almost trying to completely ignore it in favor of CUTE GIRLS DOING CUTE THINGS. Not that it fails at that, because it's got the whole cute routine down flat. I'll still watch it, but I hope we get some more character development in the future.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko:
Weird, awkward, and intriguing. Not much to say so far, except it's full of SHAFT and the OP song has to be the single most addictively monstrous thing the musical world has ever produced.

Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera:
Everything about this show is glorious.
Everything.
MERA MERA MERA MERA MERA!

Maria+Holic: Alive:
It's lacking the awesome OP and ED from season one, but all the humor is still there. Same character dynamics, same absurd situations, same crazy lesbian. I have to say, the amount of god-sensei in this episode took me by surprise. A very good surprise. I hope to see more of her. A lot more.

The World God Only Knows 2:
Again, a show I thought would fail in comparison to a glorious first season. I was wrong. Awesome music, still hilarious, and glorious animation. Keima's still got it.

Ao no Exorcist:
The visual style and character design is nice, and I see a lot of potential in the premise. Can't say a lot from episode 1, but it's pretty fun so far.

[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility of Control:
Although the animation is pretty derp right now, the general art style, the music, the concepts present seem to be more than enough to form an interesting series. Looking forward to more, and hoping for better art soon.

Deadman Wonderland:
Amazing music, amazing voice acting, amazing animation, I'm seriously overjoyed that this went over well. I'm a pretty big fan of the manga, so to see this pulled off is pretty awesome. My only real concern at this point is it being marked as a 1cour, when i doubt they could fit even half of the existing manga material into 12 episodes. Maybe a second season? I have my fingers crossed.

Hanasaku Iroha: Best animation of the season. Seriously looks like film-tier quality the whole time. Main character is perky and funny, and there looks to be a lot set up in just one episode. Can't wait for more.

Ano Hana: Picked this up at a last minute recommendation, and not regretting it. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the tearjerker of the season. Childhood memories, an all-too-relatable shut in, and the final wish of a dead girl. All wrapped up with beautiful animation and music. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:32:18 am by CheshireStray »

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »
Kaiji and Gintama!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »
Hanasuka Iroha was good. I especially liked the way it looked. It looked like a lot of attention to detail was paid. It's definitely on my Must Watch list.

Tiger and Bunny, well the name had me thinking one thing (Panty and Stocking) and the first glimpse made me think this was going to be for too young an audience for me to enjoy. But before the end the darn thing gripped my attention. I'm looking forward to more.

Dog Days, not quite my cup of tea. But hey, I watch a lot of that .Hack stuff. I don't see any reason to just hate it.

I think that's all I've watched of the new stuff, so far. Been finishing up on the last of the previous season's watching.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:46:06 pm »
Sengoku Otome might work out. I think it helps that it is historical, and maybe I'll learn some Japanese history of the warring states period. Yeah right.

Ya know, I can't remember if I saw any other new show last night or not. If I did, well I guess we all know what I must really think of them ,eh?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Su Lu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:56:00 pm »
there are a ton of main stream anime I haven't watched yet, right now I'm thinking of starting Fullmetal Alchemist and D. Gray Man...
Kumoricon 2014!
I'm just hoping I can even make it this year...

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 12:38:44 am »
there are a ton of main stream anime I haven't watched yet, right now I'm thinking of starting Fullmetal Alchemist and D. Gray Man...

Pretty sure this thread is about the currently airing Spring Season.

I think what you're looking for is the "The Anime I'm Currently Watching and Loving is..." thread, because FMA hasn't been airing in a while now.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:02:10 am »
^ Yeah, wtf is up with that? D< I'm waiting ever so patiently to finish it dubbed, but my patience is wavering and those subtitles are looking mighty friendly.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:39:16 am »
Oh look more posts in the wrong thread.

Is this officially derailed? Should i just start spouting about my favorite shows in any given thread now?

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 10:14:14 am »
It's better to give people a little room for mistakes... this is barely a bump in the tracks by comparison to a lot of threads around here, not a derail.

That said, the thread is indeed for discussing anime being released on-air in Japan in spring 2011. To a lot of fans (maybe most) the DVD release is when it "comes out", but to many diehards (including myself) the day it airs on Japanese television is when it "comes out". If a season of a show is on DVD here, it's probably not the season that's airing in Japan.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 03:52:24 pm »
Happy Kappi is not in it for me. If you have a 3rd grade girl or younger in your family, it could be. I just wanted to see what some of the shorter anime shows are like.

It seems a lot of shows are entertaining, but not necessarily memorable this season. I suppose that works most seasons, eh?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:15:54 pm »
I am watching all of them like I always do. (minus any yaoi) Liking Tiger and Bunny, Gintama(of course), kaiji, Hanasaku Iroha, The World God Only Knows 2 and Nichijou . Not sure about Sket dance or Steins;Gate yet.

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »
So far I'm most impressed with Kaiji, Dororon Enma-kun, and TWGOK Season Two, but some of the stuff I've been most waiting for still hasn't aired. [C] looks like it's going to be Persona with money, and Deadman Wonderland has a fantastic manga.

Still, this entire season is awesome. Nothing is even close to droppable besides maybe A Channel, and that's just from the 1st/2nd episodes that have aired thus far.

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 06:55:18 pm »
Oh look more posts in the wrong thread.

Is this officially derailed? Should i just start spouting about my favorite shows in any given thread now?

Seriously, with your whining about someone's post in the wrong forum, you've pretty much derailed it.

However, to keep this post on topic, I'll post what new anime I've seen this spring-none. Drats. Although I'm excited to check out Star Driver when it comes out.

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 07:25:10 pm »
Star Driver was two seasons ago, although it just ended because it was a 2cour.

Also, excuse me for calling someone out on their crap. What, should i just ignore it? I politely told him/her they were in the wrong thread, and they kept talking about it.

I got a little sarcastic, and suddenly the whole thing is my fault because i wasn't nice enough? Wow.

EDIT: For the record, I don't mean this as any kind of attack on the guy above me. I'm just kind of blown away that, by getting a bit of snark on in asking someone not to derail, I somehow derailed it myself. I don't want to see a thread get any further off track/any closer to an irrelevant argument, so I hope he takes this as my, albiet slightly confused, apology, and chooses not to respond again about the matter :x
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:04:48 pm by CheshireStray »

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:57:34 pm »
YOU BAD EVIL STRAY! just kidding. lol

This month long between seasons, where some shows haven't started, and others haven't been picked up yet, can sure be a trying time to be an anime fan.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
Seriously, with your...
*facepalm* C'mon, don't make me pull this train over.

~~~~

This is probably an incredibly dumb question, but Cheshire... please tell me the vid you linked elsewhere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kthI7SSIRi0) is a real anime from this season and not just a brilliant spoof? If it's a real anime, DO WANT. ;)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 11:57:54 pm »
Sorry, randompvg.

As far as I can tell, the guys who brilliantly dubbed those clips haven't done anything else from Railgun, although I'm pretty bad at looking for it. However, the whole male/female voice swap gag dub deal isn't too uncommon of a practice over on niconico, and if i find any other particularly hilarious ones, I'll make sure to post 'em over in Off Topic.

Also, to keep things on topic, I'm pretty frustrated right now over missing the past few days worth of releases. I've been out of the house since Wednesday, and the hotel I'm at charges through the roof for wifi, leaving me unable to get my hands on any of the plethora of new shows that aired thursday that I had so looked forward to, or anything else for that matter. Tomorrow is the first episode of Deadman Wonderland, and it's going to really suck to miss it...

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »
phbbbttt! :P to you guys who can hear and understand that.

For some reason I am thinking the voices are from that new 30-sai show.

Yeah, you missed it Stray. That was a serious avalanche of good shows in one day. I think I had 8 going at once. Crazy. And they were all good. I like every one of them. Looks like kicking Netflix down a few notches won't hurt so much as I was afraid.

I guess April is when all the best shows start in Japan. Unlike September here. Except here there is no guarantee that any of the new shows are any good.

I wish I was better at picking up the names of the new anime, but Japanese names just are not very mnemonic to me. But...Hidan no Aria is one. Denpa Onna. Girl in a Futon.

I probably shouldn't have just watched them all at once. I couldn't wait any longer! But maybe I can wait until someone besides Old Horrible does them, and watch them again.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 04:20:24 pm »
This was a great weekend for the new shows. Many groups had things ready to go, and the shows were good. They weren't otaku ecchi fests, as many shows have been the past few years. Maybe that law is doing some good. Except we seem to see censorship blots, I think just to show censorship blots. Oh well. At least more shows aren't trying to do that this season.

I was going to watch Deadman Wonderland today before work, but it looks to be rather dark, and so I think it will make for better viewing tonight after I get home.

I'd like to say this about Nichijou, wanna arm wrestle? lol

Oh, a group finally did Hyouge Mono. I thought it was going to be more of an historical drama, or something. It was more entertaining than that. I think we now know who the world's first otaku was! Only it was called aesthete back then.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:25:58 pm by jaybug »
Have Fun

Jay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 06:32:50 pm »
I've been told I'd like Mariaholic, but haven't seen it.
Saw 1 ep of MeeraMeera; not sure I could handle more of its crack!
Saw 1 ep of Dog Days. Definitely plan to watch more.
Saw 1 ep of another show but can't recall its name.
Also saw Welcome to the Star Show or something like that -- totally psychedelic eyecrack with much that was cute and some that was confusing. But overall, liked it.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 06:41:04 pm »
Could you mean Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko?

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 07:23:33 pm »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=11808

Or you could call that show, "Waiter, There's a Girl In My Pizza" or, "Futon Futari" or

I liked this show. I think it will please the Dennou Coil crowd.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 09:34:55 am »
Finished my "First Impressions" post.

I wasn't able to drop anything. My MAL "Watching" list is all currently airing stuff, and it's some 21 shows carrying over any 2cour from last season. It's going to be brutal on my sleep schedule, and my spare time, but everything is just too damn good.

Also, gog damn, I forgot how exciting it is to watch each episode of Kaiji weekly. A single episode is like replacing your blood with pure cocaine or something ridiculously good feeling. Like drinking a ton of coffee and running around in circles until you can't breathe. I'm kind of just weird like that, but i get all riled up, and I feel like yelling at the screen, and get all nervous and impossibly happy at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:18:12 pm by CheshireStray »

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 11:50:34 am »
Praises be! Nutbladder has finally released subs on episode 4 of Kaiji! Faulty subs, but subs nonetheless!

Seriously, though, for speedsubs, a week is pretty ridiculous. I guess the translator had some stuff come up in real life, but I was seriously about to start believing that Triad would release first. Much laughter would be had by all.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 04:58:35 pm »
I think all groups have given up on "speed" subs anymore. Well, except old Horrible of course. I think part of the problem is getting raws worth a darn. Dunno if it's from the disaster or what, but there are an awful lot of LQ raws available right after air date, but TBD on HQ ones.

I'm sure there are others, like getting a bunch of people to work together when they are 1/2 a world apart or so.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 01:00:52 am »
Plenty of folks do speedsubs. [gg] is probably the most notable, although their file sizes have been crazy wonky lately. Nutbladder usually picks up a few shows a season to do by speed specifically, although their definition of "speed" is usually a day or so. I'm probably just spoiled by folks who get it out in a few hours or so XD

Horriblesubs I'm hesitant to call an actual speedsub group of their own, what with it just being rips from CrunchyRoll. I mean, they have the raws to translate in advance, I'm pretty sure. I tend to steer clear as far away from them as possible if i get the chance, because what with it being Crunchy's licensed property, they sometimes send a few IP addresses a nasty letter or two from the torrents. They've never taken any real legal action, but I'd rather not get the letter in the first place, you know?

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 07:19:08 pm »
It's driving me crazy this season to sort through 20 groups for a dozen shows. It's like I have three of everything, just because some groups fall off, or do a bad job suddenly, or something. Or I just couldn't wait any longer for a good raw/sub! I hate when I jones' for good anime.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »
Just started Deadman Wonderland. Really digging it so far. I like how gritty and subtly surreal the art style and setting are. Very intrigued with this one.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »
So what do you think of the art of "C The Money of Soul and Possibility Control"? I can say this, the episodes are larger than about any this season. As far as file size goes. Busy, busy, busy. Me, I like that it's a bit of a practical economics lesson. If you could have "call your attacks" economics.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 11:49:16 am »
Just started Deadman Wonderland. Really digging it so far. I like how gritty and subtly surreal the art style and setting are. Very intrigued with this one.

Deadman Wonderland has a fantastic manga, and the adaptation started out alright, but I'm not really sold as of late. The TV rips censorship is pretty much making it unwatchable as of now, and they've been focusing less on plot and more on making it some kind of generic shonen mixed with misery porn. I hope they get their act together, because I really wanted to like it.

Also, the OP is the most ridiculously embarrassing piece of engrish music ever. It's like every awful whiny teenage emo band ever tried to think of the most stereotypical lyrics to express just how OMG DARK AND SPESHUL they are. Makes me laugh every time.

So what do you think of the art of "C The Money of Soul and Possibility Control"? I can say this, the episodes are larger than about any this season. As far as file size goes. Busy, busy, busy. Me, I like that it's a bit of a practical economics lesson. If you could have "call your attacks" economics.

[C] has been an interesting ride this season, mostly because the concept art alone sold a ton of people before we even knew what it was about. When it aired, and turned out to be less about economics and more of some kind of Battler Yu-Gi-Oh/Shin Megami Tensei-style show, tons of people dropped it right off the bat for being fairly mediocre. The animation too, while having a neat sort of design to the settings/characters, is sometimes rendered in awful 3DCG instead of actual drawn animation. It's been getting a lot better, though. The plot itself beyond the fights is a neat metaphor for the economic situation in Japan, and the color/tarot symbolism is really quite intricate and deliberate, most notably those barcodes in the ED being messages from the writer.

Also, I totally havent ripped those engrish OPEN DEAL, YOU HAVE GAIN, DIRECT, etc sounds to my phone to use as text message notifications. That would be lame, right?

EDIT: Right, as for the file size, you've probably been downloading [gg] to get that effect. Recently, their 720p releases have been ridiculously bloated for no apparent reason. I would suggest waiting for Hatsuyuki, if hard drive space is really a precious commodity for you right now.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 03:47:46 pm »
You're going to get high MB counts on anime that change the scenery a lot, which "C" does. I think they still have a ways to go before they really discuss economic theory in greater detail. I don't think they wanted to drone at the audience with that so soon. Make it look exciting, and then hit them with the hows and whys of economics. It is known as the dull science after all.

Dunno, both Deadman and C blow by real quick for me. I don't feel a pressing need to be doing anything else while I watch them.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 11:50:11 pm »
You're going to get high MB counts on anime that change the scenery a lot,

Offline Halycon Galanodel

• Cabbit
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 10:11:36 pm »
 I'm having fun with Toriko , Ao Exorcist, Deadman Wonderland and Tiger & Bunny. This year has had alot of variety to it and quite a few memorable shows.

Offline ironmonkey

• Chibi
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 11:07:25 pm »
Deadman Wonderland and Gosick