Author Topic: First time going to a con, some questions!  (Read 4634 times)

Offline LovelyHate

• Oni
First time going to a con, some questions!
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:01:32 am »
Hi!

I am interested in going to Kumoricon. As it would be my first time, I have some questions to ask before I make my decision. ^^

I am 14, (will be almost 15 by the time the con rolls around), are there usually very many people my age attending? Or is this a convention that attracts college age people?
Is it "odd" to not go with friends/in a group? Sadly, I know no one who is into Anime/Manga like me.. So, most likely it will just be me and my Mom or Dad.
Is it worthwhile to just be at the con for a single day?

Thanks in advance!  :)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: First time going to a con, some questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:08:35 am »
First of all welcome to the Kumoricon community!

And firstly, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Kumoricon may have started among college circles, but the past few years have seen it explode with a much younger fan base. So much so, in fact, that I'd say the younger crowd probably outnumbers the more mature crowd (or they at least make themselves more prominently recognized, but that's another story...).

But yeah, so basically, you've got nothing to wrry about as far as attending age goes. You will be in good company. There are a lot of 13-17 year olds just here on the forums, and the number that actually attend Kumoricon is exponentially greater.

And as for attending by yourself, or even attending for just one day, there is nothing wrong with that. The Kumoricon community is so warm and welcoming, I think you will find yourself invited in and greeted rather quickly. The abundance of cosplay, of people who have come together for the love of anime and other shared interests, it makes us a family of sorts, and we do the best to make the con a welcoming and pleasant environment for everyone because of that.

Whether you come for the whole weekend or just one day, you should have no problem making acquaintances and meeting people who are happy to meet you. We're one massive family at Kumoricon, and any new attendees are more often than not a pleasant addition to the family. ^_^

On any given day there will be some lovely events going on, so if you can only come for one day, just check the schedule ahead of time and pick which events you would like to see the most and come on that day. No problem with that, heh.  ;D

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:16:23 am »
It depends on the convention's programming and locale. A significant number of attendees are on this board half the time. You can guess from their ages. Some of them are kids, a few of them should be in college(or done with college by now). I want to say it's odd to go alone but that's a matter of personal preference. If you're the kind of person that likes to interact with people and then shut out all their noise, you're probably the type that goes alone. If you're a social disease, you're probably the type that will stuff the room and party throughout the entire con. x_X'

While I've been to a few of the conventions around here I haven't been to Kumori so I can't describe any of it. Just look up the programming and see if anything interests you. That's how I decide to go to conventions when I can't justify size. It holds very little of my interest but I don't know. That might change but I doubt it. I seem to have far better experiences at very LARGE cons like AX. The first time I attended that it was only for two days. The experience sucked because I missed so much. The next try was great because I was there from start to finish and understood the programming and topics better. Aki was the same. I tried some variation with other conventions but they always ended sour either because they were so small that they bored the hell out of me or I ended up in a group with the wrong people and became extremely uncomfortable.

It's different for everyone. It's a constant game of trial and error.

Here's what I notice for myself: The smaller the con, the more likely it will bore me(unless it has GOOD programming). The larger the con, the less likely it will bore me even with horribly uninteresting or badly coordinated programming(justified because of numerous new people). If your interests have this kind of weight, you might want to compare what you've experienced to what you're expecting.

Kumoricon started with about 400 attendees and currently has an interest base of about 4000. Expect havoc.
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline hyperkineticenergy

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:02:56 am »
No worries! Last year was my first year at Kumoricon (2010) and I only went for one day by myself. When I went I was 15 just like you. I'll be 16 this time but what the who hey. There is a large age span at kumoricon because Oregon is cool like that. As I said before, I didn't have anyone to go with either. My parents didn't come and so basically I was dumped on the side of the street with everyone looking at me. You'll have to be pretty comfortable taking your parents! Let's see... Ah! It is worthwhile to go one day but it really bakes the cake to go the whole weekend. I regreted only going one day last year because of last minute notice. However, when I went one day, I didn't meet very many people for a "group" because 1) I was only there one day and 2) my cosplay wasn't well known. If your going for the first time and you want to find a group then be sure to atleast have a cosplay that is uberlly epically supperlly dupperlly well known. My cosplay attracted a lot of flies to say the least. Hetalia is a big hit right now and Death Note is still a kick. Anyway, Good Luck!
Jay
Kcon2012:Umbreon, Romano, Shizuo, and Izaya

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:11:44 am »
Let's see... Ah! It is worthwhile to go one day but it really bakes the cake to go the whole weekend.

I just found my new favorite phrase. Thank you for that ^_^

But yes, I would definitely echo Jay's suggestion about cosplay. If you are going by yourself and hoping to meet people, a recognizable cosplay will be a massive aide in that area. There are a ton of anime and games blowing up right now (and unless you're a 300-pound beardo like me) you should have no trouble finding characters you can cosplay well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:13:38 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:43:39 am »
I normally go to Kumoricon basically by myself. ^^  Just try to make some friends on the forums before you go and you'll have plenty of people you already know and like!  I know some people didn't know anyone at last year's Kumoricon, and they made a thread looking for new friends and ended up with plenty! ^_^

And welcome to Kumoricon!  ;D

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 11:39:10 pm »
I think if it's your first con and if you're going by yourself that going for one day might be a good idea, but at the same time, the longer you stay the more likely you are to make friends! Then the next con you'll have people to putz around with. Everyone at Kumoricon is really nice and welcoming, and most people are willing to talk to strangers and get to know people they've just met. I've seen people at con from age 4 to 50, and there are definitely a lot of con goers in your age group. Plus, frequenting the forums is a great way to get to know people before you go, then you'll already have some friends you can meet up with. :)
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:41 am »
I went to my first Con is 08 during my Sophomore year. I knew a few people from my old school but one person in the group didn't like me so they all left me for her since I didn't live down in Oregon anymore. So I was alone for a good while but then I got asked to join a glomp circle and I met a great group of people cosplaying from the same anime I was. :) I am still great friends with two of the girls and one is like a sister to me (FateChooseMe). Going alone sucks at first but you will have your parents. I had no one. XP So I'm sure you won't feel as lonely and you can still make friends if you are willing to try!

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »
Oh my god, are you kidding me? 60% of Kumoricon's attendees are highschoolers. Makes people like me feel totally overwhelmed.

You'll fit in fine. If you want to go for just a day, that's not a bad way to go. Lots of people go with their parents. Chances are you can make friends if you go to a cosplay meetup of something you like. Ask around the forums and I'm sure you'll meet someone cool. There's lots of friendly people out these parts.

Just don't ask me, though, hopefully I'll be in the dungeon known as Artist Alley again.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline LovelyHate

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:08:39 am »
Thanks for the replies, they were really helpful ^^. It sounds like going alone won't be bad, so I decided I'll be going! Looking forward to seeing you guys there in 5 months, (or so).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:55:51 am »
Awesome!  We look forward to meeting you!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 01:00:58 am »
Aw one day it not enough to get the real experience. Especially if you go on the last day, as the main events and most all the programming is over by then- not to mention the excitement of "starting" the convention, as most people's minds are on going home.... my sister almost didn't come back in 2005, cause in 2004 she ended up just going on the last day when there was nothing really going on anymore- she's glad she did now.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline LovelyHate

• Oni
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 08:27:10 am »
Aw one day it not enough to get the real experience. Especially if you go on the last day, as the main events and most all the programming is over by then- not to mention the excitement of "starting" the convention, as most people's minds are on going home.... my sister almost didn't come back in 2005, cause in 2004 she ended up just going on the last day when there was nothing really going on anymore- she's glad she did now.

Well, I would go for more than one day, but I doubt I could convince my parents to drive me.. :P
I'll make sure not to go on the last day then! That doesn't sound like very much fun. :)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 02:05:22 pm »

Well, I would go for more than one day, but I doubt I could convince my parents to drive me.. :P
I'll make sure not to go on the last day then! That doesn't sound like very much fun. :)

The first day people are I think most hyper, cause the convention is just starting, and you get that, "woot it's beginning" type atmosphere. The second day I think has the most people- and the majority of the main events "usually" fall on this day. It feels more "in full swing" and then of course day 3 is... "time to go home" feeling, and lots of people don't even bother to get into their cosplays this day, as there isn't much happening. Whichever day you choose though, come EARLY- the registration lines are long and it's no fun to be standing there waiting with events going on- and be prepared to stand and wait- bring comfy shoes, good clothes (for if its warm or cold) and some form of entertainment or something (though i find the people in line with me entertainment enough) xD

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 08:20:37 pm »
welcome!! i'm so excited! a new person! .....and now im over it. no, j/k.
trust me, you'll make plenty of friends at the con, that you don't have to worry about being bored or having no one to talk to. my first year was 2 years back and i brought a friend who knew NOTHING about anime, and she came out of it loving anime!
as far as what day to go i'd say day 1, but just look at the schedule and see what days are having events that look interesting. but if you can afford to go all 3 days, then totally do!
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 06:31:20 pm »

The first day people are I think most hyper, cause the convention is just starting, and you get that, "woot it's beginning" type atmosphere. The second day I think has the most people- and the majority of the main events "usually" fall on this day. It feels more "in full swing" and then of course day 3 is... "time to go home" feeling, and lots of people don't even bother to get into their cosplays this day, as there isn't much happening. Whichever day you choose though, come EARLY- the registration lines are long and it's no fun to be standing there waiting with events going on- and be prepared to stand and wait- bring comfy shoes, good clothes (for if its warm or cold) and some form of entertainment or something (though i find the people in line with me entertainment enough) xD

At the wait at Sakuracon last year, I started playing Rock, Paper, Scissors with people across the line from me. It was fun! Also, if you've got a Nintendo DS, people tend to join in Pictochat, but beware of genitals. That happens sometimes.

First day is always the "SQUEE!!" day for sure.

Sui Fong, that's a good idea. Even if you don't have a friend who's really into anime, maybe they're open minded enough to at least try going. It can't hurt to ask.

I was REALLY shy about anime for the longest time, and once I found someone who liked it, too, it was no holds bar on the matter. Perhaps some of LovelyHate's friends are just shy about it. Like I said, asking doesn't do damage. I would have loved someone to ask me to go to a convention when I was so shy.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 10:20:15 pm »
Welcome! Last year's Kumoricon was my first con too, and I was just barely 15. It was absolutely something worth doing, and I had a ton of fun. I went with a couple of friends, but for a lot of the con we were off doing our own separate things. Even when I was on my own I still had a ton of fun. I don't really have much to compare it to, but to me it seemed very open and friendly. It's small enough that I started to recognize the people (or at least their cosplays) after a few hours, but big enough that there was always something new.

As for the age, there are plenty of people our age who show up, just look around the forums.

Basically, don't worry about it, it'll be fun, and I hope I see you there!

Offline Su Lu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »
You will have a blast whether you have a friend with you or not. Kumoricon is just that awesome!
Kumoricon 2014!
I'm just hoping I can even make it this year...