Author Topic: "Nobody knows who that is" Cosplays  (Read 41663 times)

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
"Nobody knows who that is" Cosplays
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:18:30 pm »
With a good number of new video games coming into my household, I have noticed a lot of characters that would be fun to cosplay. However, I keep hearing the same thing..."Nobody will know who that is."

Example? Miko from Cross Edge. ( http://www.nisamerica.com/images/email/miko.jpg )
I enjoy how her character acts and her costume is cute and it's something I could wear normally outside of cons.

Or Lionela from Atelier Rorona. ( http://shiroki.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/lionela.jpg )
I love her kitty 'puppets' and her character is adorably shy.

What do you guys do in these cases and what are some characters people tell you won't be recognized?
Do you guys cosplay them anyways?

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: "Nobody knows who that is" Cosplays
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 04:33:23 pm »
I kinda know how you feel.  I've been considering going as a character from a PS1 fighting game called "Evil Zone," but I'm not sure how many people even know of the game, let alone would know about the character...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Psych

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »
(I'm not comfortable sharing this information anymore because of GOOGLE. Grr. Google.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:47:29 pm by Psych »
Wonder Northwest 2012: Chell with Wheatley (Portal 2)
Kumoricon 2012: Jack Noir (Homestuck), Magolor (Kirby), Chell

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »
I cosplayed as Matt from Death note for my first year of Kumoricon. The only problem was, was that it was so fail that hardly anyone recognized who i was...So i guess it wasn't really the character that no one recognized, just the cosplay itself xD

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:35:59 pm »
I was called "some sort of pokemon" in a article about subversion 2 that i was helping with. I was pakkun
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:45:22 pm »
I cosplayed as Sai from Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro and almost everyone thought I was supposed to be Near from Death Note :'[

I'm planning on doing an Irish myth character next year, Cu Chulainn, and I'm pretty sure only one other person on the forums is going to know who I am. Haha. I'm still planning on doing it regardless though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:51:09 pm by sandrobotticelli »
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:54:46 pm »
I'm going to be cosplaying Smudger from Chocolate Underground hopefully this year. I don't think people will know who that is but I'm gonna anyways because it will be fun!

Not many people recognized me when I was DWC Kaito, someone actually thought I was supposed to be from Air Gear I think. But it was fun anyways, and because it was elaborate, people took pictures and asked questions even though they didn't know who I was supposed to be.

Another year I went as Rumia from Touhou, and one person recognized me. It was worth it though because they said I was their hero xD

I think its fun cosplaying from obscure stuff if you love the characer. It makes it so much better when someone actually does recognize you!
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Psych

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 06:03:48 pm »
Not many people recognized me when I was DWC Kaito...

Another year I went as Rumia from Touhou, and one person recognized me. It was worth it though because they said I was their hero xD

MAN, IF I'D SEEN YOU AS DWC KAITO, I'D HAVE SO asked for your picture. Kit2Kit told me there was a DWC cosplay group and I was so sad that I never ran into you guys.

I got a similar reaction as Patchouli the first year I cosplayed her. Last year we had a substantial group for our photoshoot, so more people recognized us. I think the series is getting more popular.
Wonder Northwest 2012: Chell with Wheatley (Portal 2)
Kumoricon 2012: Jack Noir (Homestuck), Magolor (Kirby), Chell

Offline Vexenification

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 06:09:16 pm »
I know what you mean! Green from the Pokemon Adventures manga, isn't very well known outside of well, pokemon fans who read the old manga. A lot of people that I want to cosplay from Pokemon aren't well known either. Ice from Pokemon Rangers 2 (total Gary Stu), is a really great cosplay, but I've never seen one! Next year I plan to fix that, and hope that I can just amaze poeple with his Gary Stu-ness when I bring him to con.
Fem!Eleven, Vexen, Animal Crossing
#Richard Brooks was Real

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:30:15 pm »
This problem has come up a lot lately when Kahlan and I are trying to decide who to cosplay. We encounter a lot of characters that we personally like, but they are from such obscure sources that she doesn't think it will be worth it.

I, though, am of a different mind. I don't really care if who I cosplay is recognized or not. I'm of the mind that cosplaying is for personal enjoyment first, and if you enjoy your cosplay, it shouldn't matter if it is recognized or not.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »
This is like, the majority of the cosplays I plan and do.

Curly Brace from Cave Story (Nice closet robot cosplay)
Makomo from Pokemon Black and White (You know, OC characters aren't cool.)
Kumatora from Mother 3 (You're a pokemon gijinka, right?)
Lammy from Um Jammer Lammy (Tony Chopper from One Piece!)
Are just the few that I've done that were pretty much not recognized except by my friends who knew what I was doing because I told them about it.

Just to throw a couple out on my planned list that I expect no one to know...
Kaede Smith from Killer 7
Tiffany Lords from Rival Schools
Irabu Ichiro from Trapeze
Chise from Saikano
Milk from Pop'n Music
And many more....

But I don't really care and still do them, I find it amusing if anything. I put hard work into my costume because I love the character, not because I want attention. The second bit is just a nice perk if it happens.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:54:10 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:37:28 pm »
I remember the time my brother cosplayed as Ikki Minami from Air Gear and no one recognized him even when I cosplayed as Akito/Agito and stood RIGHT by his side. xD;

Offline TreeNostalgia

• Cabbit
    • a tumbling
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 06:31:59 pm »
I was a chocobo gijinka last year (did it even count as a gijinka?). Only one guy recognized me as such (and asked for a high-five!). Otherwise, though, I was thought to be a Gilbird. I think I got Big Bird once, too. I mean, I could easily troll the Hetalia and KHR! groups if I wanted to with it and claim to be Gilbird or Hibird respectively. I'm actually thinking of doing this. //horribleperson
Kumoricon '16:
Robin or Morgan (FE:A) as needed!! \ovo/ (Saturday at least ha)
Team Rocket Grunt (just waiting on glue to dry!!)

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 06:42:44 pm »
(You're a pokemon gijinka, right?)

pokemon gijinka

How does one not recognize mother 3? OUO

I think it happens with everyone. Cosplay what you love you guys. Screw that attention XD
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:44:41 pm by meep »

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 06:58:48 pm »
I cosplayed as Sai from Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro and almost everyone thought I was supposed to be Near from Death Note :'[

I'm planning on doing an Irish myth character next year, Cu Chulainn, and I'm pretty sure only one other person on the forums is going to know who I am. Haha. I'm still planning on doing it regardless though.
If you cosplayed as Cu Chulainn I would recognize you :p

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:08:37 pm »
Kallika: You read Celtic mythology too?! Sweet, now that makes two~ <3
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:10:14 pm by sandrobotticelli »
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 07:18:27 pm »
Kallika: You read Celtic mythology too?! Sweet, now that makes two~ <3
It was more like I was playing Shin Megami Tensei, then I got curious THEN started reading Celtic mythology :P

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 07:54:43 pm »
Like, 6 years ago I cosplayed Niea from Niea_7, it wasn't the greatest cosplay as it was my first specific character cosplay, but I had maybe 2-3 people recognize me. >_< Had a lot of people compliment my basket backpack though. lol
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Vysh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 08:43:47 pm »
This year I will be cosplaying Macha from .hack//SIGN, and i'm not sure how many people will recognize me. So i will find and cling to the best tsukasa I find and hope it helps. I can't wait to be purple and white.

Last year tho My friends and I cosplayed a very old PV for a visual Kei band, the Gazette. The only reason people could rocognize me was my noseband. BUt it was those few people that made my day~
I was a Prinny and Ryouga Hibiki for K-con 2011, got any pictures? I'd love to see them

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 09:17:32 pm »
This year I will be cosplaying Macha from .hack//SIGN, and i'm not sure how many people will recognize me. So i will find and cling to the best tsukasa I find and hope it helps. I can't wait to be purple and white.

Last year tho My friends and I cosplayed a very old PV for a visual Kei band, the Gazette. The only reason people could rocognize me was my noseband. BUt it was those few people that made my day~
If I still am I may be doing Tsukasa..I'm caught between Tsukasa and Lenalee from D. Gray Man

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 09:58:14 pm »
Like, 6 years ago I cosplayed Niea from Niea_7, it wasn't the greatest cosplay as it was my first specific character cosplay, but I had maybe 2-3 people recognize me. >_< Had a lot of people compliment my basket backpack though. lol

Oh god, I love you. So much. You have no idea.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Vysh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 10:01:07 pm »
Kallika i will love you forever if you cosplay tsukasa.
... that might not mean much to you but it's still ture
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:02:06 pm by Vysh »
I was a Prinny and Ryouga Hibiki for K-con 2011, got any pictures? I'd love to see them

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 10:47:40 pm »

Oh god, I love you. So much. You have no idea.
lololol. I love that series, no matter how short it is. Perhaps in the future I'll do a better version of her. <3
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 11:17:54 pm »
I just do what I feel like with cosplay. I do it for the art, not for the recognition. Of course having someone recognize you and what not is totally awesome but I'm more about making the costume then not.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:55:20 pm by tofutakeout »
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 11:18:30 pm »
A lot of people that I want to cosplay from Pokemon aren't well known either. Ice from Pokemon Rangers 2 (total Gary Stu), is a really great cosplay, but I've never seen one! Next year I plan to fix that, and hope that I can just amaze poeple with his Gary Stu-ness when I bring him to con.

...I've been flirting with the idea of going as Murph. But which version to do?

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 04:25:50 pm »
:'D So much response! I'm glad I'm not the only person this happens to.

You guys give me a boost in my confidence to cosplay unknown characters.
Who knows, maybe by doing things like this the things we cosplay from will get more popular...?

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 04:29:09 pm »
:'D So much response! I'm glad I'm not the only person this happens to.

You guys give me a boost in my confidence to cosplay unknown characters.
Who knows, maybe by doing things like this the things we cosplay from will get more popular...?
Only if they're astounding enough characters and cosplay to make people ask about them.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 05:29:03 pm »
Last year I cosplayed as Nagisa Furukawa. Only one person recognized who I was.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 10:56:51 pm »
Well, I've got a cosplay that is not so much 'no one knows' as 'no one cosplays'. Jeanne d'Arc from Axis Powers Hetalia xD;;; The series is extremely well known, but she appears for like... a single panel, and for one second in the anime. I have serious doubts that I'll get recognized xD;;;
KumoriCon 2012

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 04:51:56 pm »
Since I'll be cosplaying Naomi Misora from Death Note, it'll be hard for people to recognize her unless I get into a group of Death Note cosplayers. xD

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 01:22:18 pm »
A couple of years ago, I went as Yuu Inagawa from Comic Party (the girl in my avatar)...yeah, no one recognized it.

I also keep thinking about doing Nonette Enneagram from Code Geass (a.k.a. the silver-haired Knight of the Round that gets like no screentime nor any speaking lines in the anime), but I decided to do Gino this year instead.
Sakuracon 2014
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Yugito Nii - Naruto Shippuden
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon

Kumoricon
God Tier Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline DeathNotePanda

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 05:44:17 pm »
Aaah I've been in this kinda situation PLENTY of times xD But I think that even though no one knows who you are, its still absolutley A OK to cosplay as the character that you want~ Its all about fun after all right? ^^

Last year, I was Maya from LM.C and hes a J-rocker xD No one really said anything but I had tons of pictures taken just for my outfit xD Though there were SOME people that freaked out when they saw me and that really made me happy ^^ It made my costume feel a lot more special that way ahaha~ ^~

I think costumes are more special when people do see you and recognize you :3 AND YES! I agree! Maybe if other people see you, they might be interested and ask you~ Then maybe the series that you're cosplaying will become popular! :D

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 08:54:16 pm »
I kinda know how you feel.  I've been considering going as a character from a PS1 fighting game called "Evil Zone," but I'm not sure how many people even know of the game, let alone would know about the character...
I actually know and played that game. I would love to cosplay the girl on the cover.

Other then that I don't think a lot of people at Kumoricon will recognize Date Masamune, Sengoku Basara hasn't become as popular here as it is in Japan =/

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 09:56:13 pm »
I cosplayed as Maya from Occult Academy last year when there were only like 6 episodes out, haha I don't think anyone knew who I was xP
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 10:14:05 pm »
I actually know and played that game. I would love to cosplay the girl on the cover.

Other then that I don't think a lot of people at Kumoricon will recognize Date Masamune, Sengoku Basara hasn't become as popular here as it is in Japan =/
I thought lots of people knew what Sengoku Basara was......

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 10:16:46 pm »
I thought so too but I am getting the impression that a lot of people in this area don't. I would love to get a group together but there doesn't seem much interests.

Offline K-Rock-InC

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 06:51:31 pm »
I want to cosplay from Deadman Wonderland, Doubt or Judge. All three are amazing and I don't think they get enough credit.

I about lost it when I saw the group of Doubt cosplayers at K con last year. I loved on them with my camera long time.
This is my life. These are my choices.

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:24 pm »
I want to cosplay from Deadman Wonderland, Doubt or Judge. All three are amazing and I don't think they get enough credit.

I about lost it when I saw the group of Doubt cosplayers at K con last year. I loved on them with my camera long time.
I would love cosplaying from Deadman Wonderland O.O...

Offline K-Rock-InC

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 11:04:56 pm »
I haven't read it since the hero-kid was saving the chick he made friends with (all names have escaped me) and I really want to catch up and cosplay someone. I LOVE love love that manga.
This is my life. These are my choices.

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 11:08:09 pm »
i was thinking on cosplaying gwendal from Kyou kara maoh !
 ouo ..it use to be my favvvve
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 11:39:11 pm »
I cosplayed the Kusuriuri from "Mononoke" and the most common comment I got was "I like your shoes". Those who did know me were pretty excited and very sweet :)

Here's a picture of it:

@EmAino, I was a big fan of Comic Party for a long time. Yuu would have been a hard character to recognize just because she's goes under the file of "Characters who dress like normal, real people". Sometimes cosplay get's mistaken for the real thing. ^^; I would have been happy to see you as her, though. :)

EDIT: Side Note: I don't know how some of you guys go to a three day convention packing eight cosplay or more. I just... it baffles me. You guys are powerhouses. Lately I make two cosplays per con. One as a "minor" cosplay, and the other being "major" meaning much more detailed and involved. The minor one gets one day, and the major one gets two days. I would die if I had to do two or three costume switches a day.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:45:23 pm by lychee-twist »
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 11:44:11 pm »
I cosplayed the Kusuriuri from "Mononoke" and the most common comment I got was "I like your shoes". Those who did know me were pretty excited and very sweet :)

Here's a picture of it:

@EmAino, I was a big fan of Comic Party for a long time. Yuu would have been a hard character to recognize just because she's goes under the file of "Characters who dress like normal, real people". Sometimes cosplay get's mistaken for the real thing. ^^; I would have been happy to see you as her, though. :)

amazing charater and anime i love the destiles and how simple it is unlike most animes. you did an amazing job at him.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 11:47:33 pm »
Oh, I am so happy to meet another Mononoke fan :) Thank you. I definitely think he looks on the shoddy side, but overall I'm proud. It was my second really sewing heavy outfit, the first resulting in hot glue to hold stuff together since I procrastinated.

Good lord, though, some people's interpretations of the Kusuriuri are just gorgeous, though. Seriously.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 01:42:21 am »
Oh, I am so happy to meet another Mononoke fan :) Thank you. I definitely think he looks on the shoddy side, but overall I'm proud. It was my second really sewing heavy outfit, the first resulting in hot glue to hold stuff together since I procrastinated.

Good lord, though, some people's interpretations of the Kusuriuri are just gorgeous, though. Seriously.
omg i know i think i have liek 40 photos of you from con
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:42:45 am by Titus_Love_Doll »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 02:20:59 am »
o.o Whoah, seriously? 40's probably an over exaggeration, but more than one is impressive in my book. Thank you!

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2011, 01:54:40 pm »
hah i think its less but i loved that cosplay so much :3 was one of my favs

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2011, 02:17:46 pm »
I kinda know how you feel.  I've been considering going as a character from a PS1 fighting game called "Evil Zone," but I'm not sure how many people even know of the game, let alone would know about the character...

I've found a video that is the storyline of the character I'd like to cosplay as some day.  His name is Linedwell Rainrix, but is known as Lie.  The video is over 12 minutes long, but you don't need to watch the whole thing.  Heck, I didn't, but I know what happens...

(It might help if I actually provided the link, right?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYR5cczXaTs
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:03:39 pm by Washougal_Otaku »
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Tako

• Cabbit
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 12:41:58 pm »
Last year I went as a female Gecko Moria from One Piece. Only a few people recognized, but there were a lot of people that just assumed I was some devil. XD
This year I'd like to be recognized, but I have a tight budget since I'm traveling out of the country for a good chunk of the summer.

Sooo, I was just wondering... would anyone recognize me if I did a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic cosplay?

Gijinka, that is. I'd rather not try to make a quadsuit. XD Like this: http://aiuchi.deviantart.com/art/Friendship-is-Magic-GIJINKA-201919335?q=boost%3Apopular%20my%20little%20pony%20gijinka&qo=12

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 06:33:12 pm »
Tako, I would probably have a hard time recognizing you, but if I did, I would be very happy.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash are my favs. I just bought my niece a Rainbow Dash toy. Hahaha!

Offline yukfard

• Cabbit
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 07:05:44 pm »
I was thinking of going as the warden from Superjail! if you've never heard of the show, it's about a giant jail that is really weird, with lots of violence, the warden has been described as a "sadistic Willy Wonka". only a few of my friends have ever heard of it, and the costume shouldn't be too hard to make, though it may involve fabric dying.