Author Topic: Origin: Spirits of the Past  (Read 4912 times)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Origin: Spirits of the Past
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »
Who has seen this? I just saw this movie today, and was reduced to a quivering puddle of satisfaction and awe. Simply put - the most gorgeous and enthralling anime I've seen since 'Le Chevalier D'Eon'.

Seriously, I can't stress enough just how lush and visually opulent this movie is. Eye-candy? 'Origin: Spirits of the Past' is eye-cheesecake.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to have been so impressed with this.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
Re: Origin: Spirits of the Past
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »
I love this movie. It is very well done and even my 8 year old son has seen it like 10 times. But the best anime movie I have seen to date is Summer Wars.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:08:50 pm »
Well, guess what I just added to Netflix? Thanks for the suggestion, Higuma.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:45:46 pm »
I love that movie. I saw it in some anime magazine or other a couple of years ago and thought it looked interesting, but never really followed up on checking it out. But then, as luck would have it, I got it in a Funimation $10 grab bag at Kumoricon last year. It's lovely. I'm especially fond of the opening theme, the combination of the visuals and the music sends a shiver down my spine every time I see it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:40 pm »
Absolutely! That opening scene is incredible. My wife and I were struck speechless, mouths agape, at how amazing that scene was. It blew our minds completely out of our skulls. And now that song is stuck in my head, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:09:03 pm »
When I'm looking for good inspirational music, it's the first thing I pull up on YouTube. When she starts chanting the numbers, I always get a little freaked out for no discernible reason.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:54:04 am »
It really feels like something transcendent is about to happen. I know what you mean, it gives both I and my wife chills every time we hear it. It's an example in quality composition.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 06:47:23 am »
I've really been meaning to watch it, I should jump on it soon.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:11:54 am »
Yes, you should. Your eyes will thank you for the... eye-gasm.   ;D

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 03:43:45 am »
Yup! I've seen it!! ^___^ Showed it back to my old High School's anime club in 2008.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 02:36:37 pm »
We were gonna watch it over the weekend and Sage's house, but we watched Secret of Kells instead. >u>
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 06:35:10 pm »
Absolutely! That opening scene is incredible. My wife and I were struck speechless, mouths agape, at how amazing that scene was. It blew our minds completely out of our skulls. And now that song is stuck in my head, heh.
When I'm looking for good inspirational music, it's the first thing I pull up on YouTube. When she starts chanting the numbers, I always get a little freaked out for no discernible reason.
It really feels like something transcendent is about to happen. I know what you mean, it gives both I and my wife chills every time we hear it. It's an example in quality composition.

I always liked the OP "Chouwa oto ~with reflection~" by KOKIA.  Have you ever seen the Avatar - Last Airbender AMV made using it?  It is AWESOME!

So have you seen any of these movies?

Uchuu Show e Youkoso (Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW)  One of the newest releases.  It is just starting to appear on downloads and torrents.
Chonnyonyeouu Yeouubi (Yobi - The Five Tailed Fox) It is Korean, but still a definite must see!
Piano no Mori (The Piano Forest ~ The Perfect World of Kai)  Watch it for the toilet piano scene.  That scene is priceless!
Hottarake no Shima: Haruka to Mahou no Kagami (Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror)  Uses a combination of 2D and 3D animation.
Kumo no You ni, Kaze no You ni (Like The Clouds, Like The Wind) This was done by Katsuya Kondō, a Ghibli key animator and animation director.  It looks like a Ghibli film.

Also, when talking amazing animation, I still say Seirei no Moribito (Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit) is the show to beat.

Now all we have to do is wait for Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrower Arrietty) to come out.  THAT is the movie I am waiting to see!  See a trailer here.

Enjoy!   ;D
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 06:45:15 pm »
Origin, and the anime film Metropolis, both left me feeling as if something in each film was missing. So they got downgraded from 5 stars to 4 stars.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »
My younger brother hates anime but i made his watch this one day and he really enjoyed it and was very impressed by it as well its one of my favs