Author Topic: OryCon 2011  (Read 20036 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: OryCon 2011
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 09:02:24 pm »
(How about some syzygy, too? Google it!)

I got these:

Syzygy (play /ˈsɪzɨdʒi/) may refer to:

Syzygy (astronomy), a straight line configuration of three celestial bodies
    Syzygy (Gnosticism), male-female pairings of the emanations known as aeons
    Syzygy (mathematics), a relation between the generators of a module
    Syzygy (poetry), the combination of two metrical feet into a single unit
    Syzygy (The X-Files), an episode of The X-Files
    Syzygy Darklock, a fictional character in the comic book series Dreadstar
    Syzygys, a Japanese band
    A concept in the philosophy of Vladimir Solovyov
    A term used by Carl Jung to mean a union of opposites
    Epirrhematic syzygy: a system of symmetrically corresponding verse forms in Greek Old Comedy, see Aristophanes#Dramatic structure
    Syzygy, an alternative electronica music duo featuring Dominic Glynn
    The first company founded by Nolan Bushnell
    An anatomical feature of crinoids
    Syzygy (biology), the pairing of chromosomes in meiosis

See also

Caledonian Antisyzygy, a term referring to the Scottish psyche and literature

...and I got these through Yahoo! ;D
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2011, 08:56:18 pm »
Guy, I totally agree with you about embracing all aspects of the fandom community under one umbrella. Within OryCon, and on the SMoFs list, it's clear there's a wide divide between those who do and those who do not want to include multimedia, and in fact, there's a "holy war" over whether there should even be track programming. Fortunately, a couple years ago Perky (Debra Stansbury, who ran for Relations this year) invited Creation Station to hop aboard; I hadn't even been to OryCon before. We tend to emphasize many other aspects of fandom besides writing, and we've felt welcome. Thanks again, so much, for your own CS panel (AMV Clinic, 3pm to 5pm, tomorrow, Washington Room -- anyone from KC would really enjoy it!).
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2011, 09:04:58 pm »
When I was thing about Orycon was stuffy, I was think about the literary trade vs the rest. I been talking to person who used to be inside Orycon inner circle and my own abortive attempt to volunteer for staff and this year’s con and the message I get the feeling Orycon emphasizes literary trade convention.  The figurative cherry on top of this con is the Orchids and Onions session. I made the point this programming seem to emphasize the trade for the writer and sparse offerings for fandoms even literary fans of Science Fiction. In the interchange, somebody remarked about a track programming approach; I can only paraphrase programming response as “my way or the highway” and how a track programming would be a nightmare.

Still I had a lot of fun RemSaverem and Prinz Eugen did a great job provided something of a counter point to the business of writing.  I still going to go to Orycon but I not going to put an emphasis on attending and feel I hope fans can find an alternative in Northwest Wonder and Mewcon. 

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2011, 09:30:47 pm »
For the small amount of time that I was there, it was fairly fun.  I think I could have done better with my contribution for the stand up panel, and I would have liked to have been at the painting panel that happened afterwards...  Oh well, maybe another time.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2011, 10:28:38 pm »
Thank you! Very sweet of you to say.
When I was thing about Orycon was stuffy, I was think about the literary trade vs the rest. I been talking to person who used to be inside Orycon inner circle and my own abortive attempt to volunteer for staff and this year’s con and the message I get the feeling Orycon emphasizes literary trade convention.  The figurative cherry on top of this con is the Orchids and Onions session. I made the point this programming seem to emphasize the trade for the writer and sparse offerings for fandoms even literary fans of Science Fiction. In the interchange, somebody remarked about a track programming approach; I can only paraphrase programming response as “my way or the highway” and how a track programming would be a nightmare.

Still I had a lot of fun RemSaverem and Prinz Eugen did a great job provided something of a counter point to the business of writing.  I still going to go to Orycon but I not going to put an emphasis on attending and feel I hope fans can find an alternative in Northwest Wonder and Mewcon. 

2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 05:24:25 pm »
Thank you! Very sweet of you to say.

You're welcome!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 06:05:14 pm »
And Orycon sends a HUGE Thank you to the Kumoricon staff who provided the projectors and handled "tech emergencies" throughout the convention. Even though I personally didn't need a projector for any of my panels, there had been times in prior years when it was near impossible to get a projector for a panel that desperately needed it. So yay to the team that handled that (I saw Jaki, Dawn, and 3 or 4 others whose names I forgot all at Orycon either at the Kumoricon table all weekend or running around setting up tech stuff)

:D

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 10:47:32 pm »
@ Runa: Definitely! Extra thanks for the sound system at our Doctor Who Fandom Celebration....

and I love everyone for making that such a phenomenal panel at yet another con. So many of you Kumoricon folks came to your first OryCon, inspired by our panel....This is an absolute highlight of my entire life. Thanks, again, all!