Author Topic: OryCon 2011  (Read 19999 times)

Offline Usagichan

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Google+
OryCon 2011
« on: February 25, 2011, 02:28:44 pm »
Hey all! Is anybody is going to go to OryCon 33 this year? :D

OryCon is Oregon's premier science fiction convention! This year's theme is "The Lighter Side of Horror." It's located at the Portland Doubletree Hotel and will be going on from November 11 to 13. There's lots of neat things to do there: TCGs; offline/table top gaming of all sorts; dances; parties, if you're over 21; a cool lounge, if you're a between 13-20; all sorts of awesome Sci-Fi-ish goodness; cool guests like E.E.Knights, Scott Allie, Jim Pavelec, Tempest... I'm hoping to see Rem at the Creation Station again this year (and FYI, Creation Station is awesome.) There are really cool things for everyone from science nerds to writers. ;D

If you have any questions about it, just ask and I'll be happy to answer your question or point you to something that'll answer it for you.

Reg. costs are at $35 for the weekend until April 1st when it changes to $45; September it goes up to $55, then Reg. will close at the beginning of November and you'll have to reg. at the door. Anyone 12 or under is half the price and any small children (6 or under) are free. :)
~ Bunny ~
Assistant Director of Infrastructure
Formerly Yojimbo Office Coordinator, Yojimbo Dispatch Coordinator, Yojimbo, and Con Suite Staff.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: OryCon 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:49:03 am »
* Blush * Awww, shucks :D You're awesome, too!
Yep, at least as of the last OryCon meeting I attended (the wrap-up of Ory32 in December) and the last meeting that other Creation Stationers attended for me (the start-up of Ory33 in Jan), we're full steam ahead to have a Creation Station at OryCon for our 3rd year, and we are super excited about it!

*gentle prod* Wasn't there a little sum'n-sum'n you wrote after my panel, that you were going to send me, once upon a time? ;)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 06:00:28 pm »
I'll be going back to Orycon, last year I got some terriific ideas from some of the panels there. And this year I'll check the authors more carefully. Last year I missed the chance to get the signature of Todd McCaffrey (Anne McCaffrey's son.) and I'm a big Pern fan. DX
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:54:51 am »
I'm still waiting to learn how to clone myself or astral travel, so I can stay in Creation Station yet also peek in on other parts of con.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 04:05:53 pm »
Yep my job got extended so I will be able to attend Orycon

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 04:46:13 pm »
I'm hoping to go. It will depend what is going on with school and when I'm going to Florida.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:30:52 pm »
The more company I have at Orycon the happier I'll be.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:19:59 am »
I will be running an AMV Overnighter at Orycon.
It's a compilation show - not a contest.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:29 am »
Doctor Who Fandom: Tiptoe Through the TARDIS will be regenerated at OryCon! Come one, come all -- we've requested a room that is bigger on the inside! And we let you Make Your Own "Sonic" Screwdriver, this time! (Sorry, haven't figured out how to make Sarah Jane's Sonic Lipstick yet. Ideas?)

Ash & I are also debuting two new panels in Creation Station at OryCon this year, both gaming related. Mouse has a new cosplay-related craft, and Roget of bodypainting fame has a new Tron-inspired cosplay lighting panel!

Gamers' Lovers United is a sort-of-mock support group atmosphere, a la Anime That Scarred Me For Life; a community-building and wins-and-fails-sharing gathering for anyone who is or loves a gamer, in any spectrum of gaming.

Gaming Glory Stories is an open mic for telling, or cosplaying, your moments of epic epicness from any form of gaming. Prizes for those who tell their tall or true tales *as* their character, avatar, or persona!

We've conveniently set all of these panels on the first day -- Friday, 11/11/11, Veteran's Day-- so that if Kumoriconers want to check out OryCon for their first time, you can get an affordable day pass!

Also offered by Creation Station at OryCon on Friday, 11/11/11:
Guy's AMV Clinic
Scrumyummy's Making Manga and Drawing Yuri
Simplifying Game Systems
and Erotic Bedtime Stories  (basically it's Fanfic Bedtime Stories, but 18+).

Saturday at Creation Station at OryCon:
Mouse's crafts: Tribbles & Bits! Wear Your Geek! Blinky Bots (new! light-up toys).
Fantasy Art Coloring & Drawing: First Steps
Copic Art Contest (prizes & markers provided by Copic)
Self-Publish Your Novel Right Now
Faux Gems for Cosplay (new craft from Mouse!)
Cosplay Lighting (new how-to from Roget! You really want to see this!)
The Complete Webcomic
GIMP Intro
Stand Up for Geeks! (3 stand-up comics)
Embody Your Fantasies (18+ version of body painting panel)
Drawing Yaoi

Sunday, 11/13/11 at Creation Station at OryCon
Making Medieval Tunics (leave with material & a pattern!)
Basic Blacksmithing
Hands-On Iron Working
Custom Corsets
Make Your Own Pocket Clone!

I am so proud of Creation Station for pulling together our most awesome schedule and so grateful to OryCon for letting us!

We also are presenting a selection of Steampunk short films from the Rose City Film Fest, in another room, Saturday.

Hope to see you there! Who's in? Day pass or full weekend?

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 05:52:25 pm »
Is it true that the price includes food all day?
"You may live bowing on your knees, but die standing on your feet."

-Tite Kubo

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »
Orycon dose have a small Con suite where they provide snacks.
Yes I will be there.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:41:56 pm by acton »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 01:16:06 pm »
It seems to be a tradition of science fiction conventions to have a Con Suite that is open to attendees, not just staff. I believe there additionally is a Green Room for panelists at OryCon, but I haven't been in it yet.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 06:19:06 pm »
Congratulations Rem you just made me more excited than ever to attend Orycon. ANd i'll see about attending some of your panels. it looks like fun and it looks like you're giving Orycon a well needed boost of energy.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 08:17:14 pm »
I'll be running a Supernatural panel on Saturday :) 

The rest of the weekend I will be helping run small tech. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 08:18:40 am »
It seems to be a tradition of science fiction conventions to have a Con Suite that is open to attendees, not just staff.
I've been going to SF cons since 1978. Not that I want to change things - I like how different fandoms do things THEIR OWN way, but one of the 'surprises' at anime cons is 'where's the con suite?' - So, yeah, for Orycon's membership fee you get to munch ALL WEEKEND.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 11:48:25 am »
It seems to be a tradition of science fiction conventions to have a Con Suite that is open to attendees, not just staff.
I've been going to SF cons since 1978. Not that I want to change things - I like how different fandoms do things THEIR OWN way, but one of the 'surprises' at anime cons is 'where's the con suite?' - So, yeah, for Orycon's membership fee you get to munch ALL WEEKEND.

Yes, that's definitely a bonus.
 I love this con. I'm so excited for it. If anyone from KC is considering coming to OryCon for your very first time, but isn't sure you can afford it, PM me. I'd recommend getting a day pass for Friday....lots of great panels on Friday, and a cheaper day pass than for Saturday....

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 01:33:20 pm »
I wish I could go. But between paying for college and Fanime, I don"t think I'll be able to spare any.

Hopefully next year!
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 04:26:00 am »
I might go, but only if I'll be a part of their comedy panel.  *looks at Rem...*
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 10:34:28 am »
I might go, but only if I'll be a part of their comedy panel.  *looks at Rem...*

:D I'll PM you.....

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 03:53:39 pm »
I really want to go. I'm wondering if I could get away with an anime cosplay or if I should just go in normal clothes. If I wore anything it would be Haruko from FLCL so it's kinda sci-fi ish

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 04:32:04 pm »
I really want to go. I'm wondering if I could get away with an anime cosplay or if I should just go in normal clothes. If I wore anything it would be Haruko from FLCL so it's kinda sci-fi ish

For sure! Cosplay definitely goes there. IIRC, there's even a Masquerade of some sort or other.

Creation Station is holding some cosplay-related panels, btw. Bodypainting, corset-making, making faux gems & jewelry, and even how to light up cosplay, like Tron suits and stuff!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 04:38:17 pm »
I know people cosplay but I am more concerned about cosplaying from anime rather than sci-fi.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:38:29 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 04:55:31 pm »
Oh! You're definitely fine there. There is anime content at OryCon (Guy shows tons of AMVs and runs an AMV Clinic; Creation Station has panels on Making Manga and on Drawing Yuri and Drawing Yaoi, for example) and there are anime fans at OryCon. While there are certainly fewer than at Kumoricon, those who are there will be all the more appreciative!
I know people cosplay but I am more concerned about cosplaying from anime rather than sci-fi.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 06:52:44 pm »
As I've so often said it's nice to see so many Kumoricon goers taking an interest in Orycon. Because in my opinion Orycon needs a younger crowd to come in and help liven things up.

@ nikkolie, it's all good I cosplayed as Henry Townsend last year, though I won't this year beause it just doesn't move me. But I'll definitekly check out the panels. I'm getting vert excited about this convention.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:49:56 am by Animeman73 »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 08:33:14 pm »
Alright sounds good. I am going to try to go for at least one day. I will try to get Haruko done in time :D

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »

YAY!!!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 10:39:42 pm »

YAY!!!

You are just so cute. OMG.

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 11:12:40 pm »
I seen  Orycon as a counterpoint to Kumoricon. A more older fandom and a slightly less crazy.
When I said stuffy it more to me the underly tension that lies below the surface (depends who you talk to) between fan boys and literary types. In adtion getting a panel started is a lot more formal and involved. Just do not think as it as another Kumoricon nor it should be as Orycon should not be another Kumoricon.
Still there a room for both so do come,in fact why has there never been a SF in Anime panel?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 11:37:00 pm »
Acton, Guy Letourneau & I offered a panel last year in OryCon's Creation Station about science fiction & fantasy in anime. It was like 3pm on Friday. We had around 20-25 people. The intent of the panel had been to introduce the best of anime sf & anime fantasy to people who were used to non-Japanese literary sf & fantasy. However most of those who came were already otaku :D So we had an enjoyable chat about our favorites in the genre, including some art books that Guy brought that had gorgeous show & tell. (I remember Nadesico in particular.)

You are correct that it is much harder to get started as a new panelist at OryCon, in the sense that the process for getting involved is very different. If anyone wants more info on this, PM me.

Thanks, hope to see you all there!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 10:23:16 pm »

YAY!!!

You think I'm cute now, you should hear what I have planned for my official proposal to Chan... 8)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2011, 05:39:46 pm »

YAY!!!

You think I'm cute now, you should hear what I have planned for my official proposal to Chan... 8)

Why, yes. Yes, indeed, I should *conspiratorial grin*

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 01:49:53 am »
Oooh oooh ooh I got a cosplay that will fit into the sci-fi theme. I am going to put together River Tam from Firefly. Its my favorite show and I have always wanted to cosplay from it.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 10:55:58 am »
Oooh oooh ooh I got a cosplay that will fit into the sci-fi theme. I am going to put together River Tam from Firefly. Its my favorite show and I have always wanted to cosplay from it.

AWESOME!! One of our Creation Station panelists cosplays Saffron from Our Mrs. Reynolds, and her husband, as Mal, so you should come by for a photo shoot! I will verify that they're wearing those again and on what day :D
Her panel is Making Medieval Tunics, Sunday, 9am to noon....

I did Inara (peachy/gold formal gown) for MEW Con when I ran the Whedon-Verse panel!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 12:58:07 pm »
Okay i grant you this...YES Orycon is for writers as a matter of fact they have Writers' Workshop where you can get helpful critiques to make original writing better. But even though it has a certain measure of intellectual standing.,...even the greatest of intellectual types know that all work and no play lead toa  nervous breakdown. That's why I bel;ieve Orycobn needs something of a youth movement in it. to help keep it alive. That's why I'm all for Kumoricon goers going to Orycon.

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 09:04:30 pm »
I've posted this on facebook (as well as the Tiptoe through the TARDIS group on there), but I figured I'd get this out to as many OryCon attendees as possible:

I've been in touch with someone who's in the process of planning a sci-fi fashion show that is going to be held at the con, and is looking for models (male and female) and even designers to provide the outfits and props. If you're interested in doing either of these things, then message me and I can get you their email address.
2012-14- Assistant Artist Alley Coordinator
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 12:07:58 am »
I've posted this on facebook (as well as the Tiptoe through the TARDIS group on there), but I figured I'd get this out to as many OryCon attendees as possible:

I've been in touch with someone who's in the process of planning a sci-fi fashion show that is going to be held at the con, and is looking for models (male and female) and even designers to provide the outfits and props. If you're interested in doing either of these things, then message me and I can get you their email address.

Sounds epic! More details?

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 11:15:37 am »

At the moment we're just coming up with how to provide the costumes; whether to make all or some and have models bring their own sci-fi outfits to wear as well; and just that we really need models. If you want to talk with them, their email is damani.p@gmail.com
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 11:57:08 am »

At the moment we're just coming up with how to provide the costumes; whether to make all or some and have models bring their own sci-fi outfits to wear as well; and just that we really need models. If you want to talk with them, their email is damani.p@gmail.com

Thanks. Exciting!

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 06:29:30 pm »
Okay everyone. I mentioned earlier about a fashion show that is going to happen at OryCon on Friday evening (8-830 pm, right after opening ceremonies). We really, really need some models. So if you, or someone you know, are interested in being a model (we need men and women) please let me know asap! Thankies!

EDIT: The fashion show is only going to be about 30 minutes or so long, so it won't take up too much time if there are other things you were wanting to do around the same time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:51:13 pm by hieis_girl1 »
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 01:37:47 am »
I'll be there! I'll be the power behind the computer for the Tiptoe Through The Tardis panel.

I'm still looking for short fanvids or other media to play during the panel! I have a couple silly SuperWho vids (Supernatural/Doctor Who crossover) but other than that I only have the very first Hartnell serial and The Curse of Fatal Death. If anyone has any silly fanvids or anything they can feel free to shoot a link my way and I'll work my computer magic to download them from youtube so we don't have to rely very heavily on the hotel internet.

I have a lot of trock and we can maybe have singalongs, so I don't need links to those, but anything else is good!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 10:25:29 am »
Thanks so much, Katie!
This Doctor Who Fandom Celebration is in the Jefferson-Adams room of the Executive Meeting Center, Friday, 11/11/11, 8pm-10pm.

We have secured the ability to stay in the room over the time of the panel, to watch additional videos, pending hearing from Small Tech (i.e., from Kumoricon Directors) that we may keep the projector longer. We have heard from OryCon Programming that it does not appear the projector will be needed elsewhere. So unless Jaki and Dawn object, we can go as long as there is audience interest for us to do so.

Sadly, my own other panels overlap that video-watching period.

I'll be there! I'll be the power behind the computer for the Tiptoe Through The Tardis panel.

I'm still looking for short fanvids or other media to play during the panel! I have a couple silly SuperWho vids (Supernatural/Doctor Who crossover) but other than that I only have the very first Hartnell serial and The Curse of Fatal Death. If anyone has any silly fanvids or anything they can feel free to shoot a link my way and I'll work my computer magic to download them from youtube so we don't have to rely very heavily on the hotel internet.

I have a lot of trock and we can maybe have singalongs, so I don't need links to those, but anything else is good!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 04:19:22 pm »

Can you tell us which day this event is?  And what time it will be?  Also, what's a tardis?

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »

Can you tell us which day this event is?  And what time it will be?  Also, what's a tardis?

The show is on Friday at 8, right after opening ceremonies.

And the TARDIS is from Doctor Who. ;)
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 03:28:26 pm »

The show is on Friday at 8, right after opening ceremonies.

And the TARDIS is from Doctor Who. ;)

Thank you!  And "Ahhh, I see...".

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 10:41:47 am »
Since Washougal's been posting, I will go ahead and plug that he is also performing!

....as one of four stand-up comics in Stand Up for Geeks!~ at Creation Station, Saturday, 9pm to 10pm. (Washington Room of the Executive Meeting Center at the DoubleTree Lloyd Center).

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 04:50:50 pm »
Is that so? Then I will most definitely have to attend.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:53:14 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 02:04:11 pm »
Sweet, see you there!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 09:42:40 pm »
IS that so? Then i will most definitely have to attend.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 11:09:19 am »
So much left to do!
Hope to see many of you there.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2011, 05:59:44 pm »
Okay i grant you this...YES Orycon is for writers as a matter of fact they have Writers' Workshop where you can get helpful critiques to make original writing better. But even though it has a certain measure of intellectual standing.,...even the greatest of intellectual types know that all work and no play lead toa  nervous breakdown. That's why I bel;ieve Orycobn needs something of a youth movement in it. to help keep it alive. That's why I'm all for Kumoricon goers going to Orycon.

About 15 years ago Orycon USED to have a rather vibrant set of costume activities including competitions, skits, and hall costume awards. IIRC they also used to have a scavenger hunt of sorts. Then some of the people who ended up getting elected to upper management ranks wanted to focus Orycon to be mostly about writing and writers, (including script writers) with a smattering of teachers and industry scientists ("What are NASA's latest missions up to?")

This was cool in that entertainers (writers) got to mingle with real-world professionals (the teachers & scientists) to make their creative works sound more believable and detailed. The teachers, whose job it is to hold the attention of a class, learn from the writers about how to present matter in an entertaining or intriguing way, so there's lot's if productive synergy going on. (How about some syzygy, too? Google it!)

But, like it or not, the world is gravitiating towards 140 characters - which means graphic novels with maybe 10 sentences per page, and even these paragraphs I wrote here may look too large and blocky for some forum readers who will just tl;dr and skip this post.

Orycon will have to simply age (increasing its mean member age by nearly 1 year as each year passes,) or shrink ( they ranged within 1200 and 1800 members for the past decade, iirc; I don't recall Orycon ever breaking 2500 ppl,) or add recognition to a vibrant, media- and multimedia-based fandom beyond the written word ( Here ye be dragons and resistance and reluctance to admit of a changing world...) in parallel with the 'lit-trah-chuh' tracks.

Years ago, Boskone (a Boston-based SF con) tried to kick out all media, and the fans revolted and started up 'Arisia' (another Boston-based con) which was ALL media. It kicked the doors off Boskone within its second or third year. Irony: Arisians were 'the good guys' and Boskone were 'the bad guys' in E.E. Doc Smith's Lensman series of the 1930s - and BTW they made a Lensman anime OVA in the 1980s too!

So, just as otaku elite heirarchy goes from the dub to the sub to watching 'em raw; at SF cons and especially Orycon you will find the hoity-toity types who insist that 'real' SF fans buy the hardcover - paperback fiction consumers aren't really into it...
(No, rly, heard it myself...)

Fandom to me is all about enjoying our differences from mundania in whatever mode the con is about, SF, steampunk, anime, the SCA, re-enacting - whatever, and sharing support that we can all have our own fun and be 'real' with our hobbies, interests, and unusual, off-the-beaten-path dreams, seldomly encountered outside of these cons. So we all come together and share the rare things that intrigue us or make us happy, or get us thinking thoughts we enjoy grappling with, or imagining the impossible, or the 'what might have been' if only something had gone differently than in the timeline we call 'reality.'