Author Topic: Gaara's Gourd?  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Shadrie

• Oni
Gaara's Gourd?
« on: April 28, 2005, 07:00:23 pm »
I'm hoping to cosplay gaara, but I'm not entirely sure how to make his gourd.  I was thinking of using those big rubber balls you get from wallmart or something and covering them with paper mache or clay of some sort, but I'm not sure.  Any suggestions anyone?

-Shadrie
And you'll never know who raked those leaves...

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Gaara's Gourd?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:09:11 pm »
You could try doing that, and they make it really strong. Like Super Man. (Um. xD) Or you could do that with ballons, and then pop them when it's strong enough...
I don't know exactly, but good luck on them. ;--;

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Gaara's Gourd?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 02:35:04 am »
Keep in mind that you have to carry it around the Con and transport it.  Other than that I can't think of any more advice other than paper mache.

Anonymous

Gaara's Gourd?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 07:24:53 am »
my friend used a basketball and a beach ball then wrapped it in masking tape. it turned out very good! ill post a pic when i get back from school.

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/airotciv87
^^
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 06:28:55 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
Keep in mind that you have to carry it around the Con and transport it.  Other than that I can't think of any more advice other than paper mache.

paper mache would be best ^^ its light ^^
i am asthenophobic, Cleithrophobic, dinophobic, and geroscophobic.

but i am NOT Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
Gaara's Gourd?
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 08:43:24 am »
Though I'm not sure the best material for making the gourd, keep in mind that it also needs to be strong enough to withstand the con. When I first went as Sango, I made my boomerang out of foam board. Although it was lightweight, it about came apart by the end of the con from it getting ran into by people. I had to completely remake it for the next con ^.^;; So learn from my mistake, if its a costume you plan on wearing to another con, make your props sturdy enough to survive the crowds!
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Kankuro Of Sand

• Cabbit
Gaara's Gourd?
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 03:43:51 pm »
yeah use paper mache this is what my best friend used for his gord see Im the kakashi

Offline Nocturne

• Sailor Scout
Gaara's Gourd?
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 08:06:20 pm »
Quote from: "Kankuro Of Sand"
yeah use paper mache this is what my best friend used for his gord see Im the kakashi

That's great!
Hero! Summoner! Doormat...

Offline The Evil Overlord!

• Cabbit
Gaara's Gourd?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 11:01:41 pm »
Normally abot two or three layers of paper mache are pretty strong. Four if you want to be safe.
"I am the... EEEEEVIL OVERLORD!!!"
                                          -The Evil Overlord!