Author Topic: Greetings from Chicago!  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
Greetings from Chicago!
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »
I just had an audition at Emerson today and so I'm in Boston and thought y'all should know.

SO

HI FROM THE EAST COAST~
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:50:56 am by Cassiopeia »
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Greetings from Boston!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:14:40 pm »
HOLA CON QUESO!!!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:37:28 pm »
So, is the food cheap and plentiful, even if it isn't that good?

Did you pawk the caw in hawvahd yawd?

Could you get they-uh from he-uh?

Watch out for things coming up out of the basement they-uh.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:17:32 pm »
HIIII

Congrats on getting your audition done, now go have fun!
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:31:23 pm »
My old stomping grounds are north toward Andover, and my wife is from Bourne on Cape Cod.

You are in the Bay State, so now's the time to hit the REAL 'Bay Area.' Like Mattapoisett. Not the California knock-off.

If you're stuck in-town, hit the Museum of Fine Arts. The admission price will be tall, just like all center-city artsy joints in any city, but there's enough world-class stuff there to be worth it.

Get on the Green line and get off at Boyleston St. Buy a hot salted pretzel. Walk to Faneuil Hall and the old North Church - where 'the shot heard round the world' happened. Walk a little further to the old wharves to Quincy Market and get a bowl of chowder. (Legal Seafood's ain't bad either, but they're geared toward yupster pricing, like McCormicks in PDX.) And you can call it 'chow-dah.'

If you are driving - live it up - Boston pedestrians are trained right; when you gun it around a sharp corner headed for a light turning yellow, they scatter like cockroaches. There are also a lot fewer bicycles or other retarded 'alternative' vehicles to slow you down. Pedestrians are polite, they'll actually show a little hustle while crossing if they see they are holding you up. Of course, you are expected to do the same when you lose your car and are on foot. Do not piss off Boston drivers by being a slouch in the crosswalk. That flashing orange hand means 'double-time.'

You also actually get to GO when the light turns green - even if you're three cars back from the stopline. Also, a cool rule there is that if there is a line of cars at a stop SIGN, only every THIRD car actually has to stop. Once they stop, then next two can all go as a group. Unlike Portland, Boston driving is about how to let their colonial-era road network handle MORE and MORE cars per hour = efficient commuting for everybody. Not like PDX, talking about sacrificing a lane of traffic on the Sellwood bridge to make room for light-rail. (In Boston the light rail is underground - the oldest subway, in the USA if not the world, iirc. Again, this keeps more pedestrians off the street, so you can hit 45mph between lights.)

http://www.capeannvacations.com/MenuPage.cfm?id=56
Also if you are driving head 35min north on Route 1 and then 127 onto Cape Ann. Visit Gloucester and Rockport. Eat cod caught off the Grand Banks and brought in fresh. 'Captains Courageous' is one of the best seafood houses on the North Shore. See the statue of 'The Gloucester Fisherman,' (of the Gorton's logo) and visit 'Our Lady of the Good Voyage' Portuguese Catholic Church:
http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/maritime/lad.htm

Or head east along the lagoons and estuaries to Essex, MA for 'Woodman's eat in the Rough.' Lobster 'in the rough' is served whole, red, and no bib or nut crackers, and no utensils. The thing is a crustacean related to the common head louse, so get in there and murder it with your bare hands and teeth. Eating lobster in the rough is one of New England's most barbaric rituals, and add a pound of steamed clams (little necks or quahogs) plus an ear of corn on the cob, and about a 3oz cup of drawn butter and there is just nothing like it.

Buy a CD of traditional whaling songs. There is also a yuppie-food* store chain there, I forgot its name, but you might be able to get Grade C or Grade D maple syrup.

* Portland Equivalent: 'Normal food' = Fred Meyer, Safeway, IGA.
'Yuppie food' = Trader Joes, New Seasons, Whole Foods, etc.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:34:29 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:20:41 am »
.....SO.....how are those boston creme pies?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:29:07 am »
.....SO.....how are those boston creme pies?
YES. ^
And the real ones have YELLOW CUSTARD in them, not white shortening.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 01:22:42 pm »
shortining based frostings=gross!      sadly you go to a grocery store that is what you get.  Question is  the yellow custardin traditional recipes yoke based or a starch or gelitan? 
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 05:57:38 pm »
you said it with the word custard, meaning egg based.

And so there uh Cassie, are you full of beans yet?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
Re: Greetings from Chicago!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 12:53:04 am »
I'm now in Deerfield, IL for my cousin's bat mitzvah.
Chicago is very close by.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Re: Greetings from Chicago!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 10:19:43 pm »
Just a step or two over from Great Lakes, Naval training Center. I spent 9 months of my life there. You don't have to go and say Hi. Unless you are over by the mall that they trashed while making the Blues Brothers movie. 3 years after, when I was there, it was still being fixed.

Don't eat where Chicagoans say to eat.
Have Fun

Jay