Author Topic: 2011 AMV Panel Discussion  (Read 5499 times)

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
2011 AMV Panel Discussion
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:15 am »
Hey everybody, I've been thinking a lot about last year's AMV panels and I thought maybe it would be a good idea to start discussing things on the forums...

I really liked how the AMV Creator Spotlights went and the audience seemed to as well. I've been thinking maybe something like an "AMV Showcase" would be fun, something a little less formal in conception, where creators could drop in and show off and talk about their work and answer viewer questions. I hope this would be more welcoming for creators who only have one or two AMVs and could even be a helpful way to get live feedback and a chance to gauge an audience's interest. If we end up going this route I am hoping that some of our creators with larger libraries of work (TCL perhaps?) would be present to fill out the time slot (I certainly would be in attendance and would be happy to play as much or as little of my work as time warranted). Thoughts?

Does anybody have other ideas for AMV Panels they'd like to see this year? I am personally intrigued by the idea of an R+ after-hours contest that someone brought up on the forums a while back but it never really seemed to take off and there'd need to be significant interest from creators for anything like that to actually happen.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2011 AMV Panel Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:06:39 pm »
Does anybody have other ideas for AMV Panels they'd like to see this year? I am personally intrigued by the idea of an R+ after-hours contest that someone brought up on the forums a while back but it never really seemed to take off and there'd need to be significant interest from creators for anything like that to actually happen.

I support this idea, too.  I don't think that it has to be just hentai, though; it should include anything that would violate restrictions for the regular contest, like swearing.

There's going to be a panel focussing on how to make AMV's too, right?  I think there usually is.  If there is one, whomever will be running will hopefully show various ways to make them, rather than just relying on Movie Maker.  No me gusta Movie Maker...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:19:15 pm »
I support this idea, too.  I don't think that it has to be just hentai, though; it should include anything that would violate restrictions for the regular contest, like swearing.

There's going to be a panel focussing on how to make AMV's too, right?  I think there usually is.  If there is one, whomever will be running will hopefully show various ways to make them, rather than just relying on Movie Maker.  No me gusta Movie Maker...

Oh yeah, I definitely wasn't interested in the hentai part at all. I mean, I guess maybe I'd go even if hentai was included, but my real draw was just the ability to use curse words and sexual references.

As for the "How to Make AMVs" panel idea, I could do one of those if nobody else wants to and there's a draw for it. But no, as far as I'm familiar there usually isn't, although we touched on it a bit last year in our panel.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 02:32:49 pm »

Oh yeah, I definitely wasn't interested in the hentai part at all. I mean, I guess maybe I'd go even if hentai was included, but my real draw was just the ability to use curse words and sexual references.

Sweet; sounds like me, too.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:43:06 am »
I like the R-rated contest idea, mostly 'cause I want to make a Resident Evil AMV, and it's rather hard to make that pass into the underage crowd without neutering it. xD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:18:55 am »
Well, I have two additional things to say about the adult-contest...

1) Someone who does *not* plan on entering would probably need to step forward in order for this to happen and furthermore, the sooner they stepped forward the more submissions they'd likely get. Unfortunately, I've got a lot on my plate already and as much as I wouldn't mind running the contest, I'd feel weird competing in it as well and I honestly have no experience with this sort of thing. If people disagree about the possibility of there being a conflict of interest, I suppose I would be willing to look into running it if nobody else wants to...

2) Last time this was brought up the idea of naming the categories after the seven deadly sins was played around with and I still think that'd be an absolutely fantastic idea, although we probably wouldn't want 7 categories (and some of them would take some creativity to work in the first place; ie, I am uncertain how "gluttony" would be a category of AMVs that didn't fit into the main contest... over the time limit maybe?)

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:24:34 am »
Alright, this thread has been dead for a while so I'm going to post some things in hopes of riling up a response:

Item 1: I think I'm going to submit a generic "AMV Showcase and Q&A" with the description saying something to the effect of "Come meet Kcon AMV creators, ask them about their work and creative process, and maybe even get exclusive first glimpses of unreleased works!" with the hope that (a) some other creators get on board at some point (TCL? Turtles? Can I count on you guys to be there?), perhaps even just dropping by unannounced mid-panel with a flash-drive of some work they'd like to share and (b) that maybe somebody other than me is willing to show whatever they are working on around that time to a panel.

Item 2: I think the chances of getting a brand new AMV contest off the ground in the months before this year's kumoricon are... slim to say the least. But if nobody including Guy is interested in running it, I really do think having a Tekkoshokon-style "mature contest" (perhaps with a similar rule wherein works that are deemed good but too R-rated by the judges are slid into it) is an excellent idea and I'd be willing to devote some time and energy into running one, although I'm certain I'm not the most qualified candidate. My hope would be that we could run a whole contest of things that were just R-rated and then maybe at the end have a special category for H-stuff (>__> although I am not exactly thrilled at the idea of having to pick through H submissions). If there is a sufficient level of interest and/or Guy wants to pick this up and make it official maybe we could get it off the ground this year, but he'd definitely have a better idea than me.

Item 3: I don't want to step on anyone's toes and I can think of a few people (TCL and Guy for example) who would be more qualified, but if there's interest in a "Intro to Making AMVs" panel but nobody wants to run it, I'd be willing to take on that too. I like running panels but I definitely don't want people to think I'm trying to dominate Kcon's AMV related panels!

Well, any thoughts? I'd hate to wait too long and then not have any AMV panels at all! :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:25:48 am by murder_of_raven »

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 12:49:19 am »
Unfortunately TCL won't be attending Kumoricon this year considering that  his wedding is the weekend after and he's gonna be completely focused on that. As for me, my decision isn't licked down one way or another. I'm trying and want to attend I just need to figure out logistics at this point. If I do attend I'll be more than willing to help out with panels.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:25 am »
Unfortunately TCL won't be attending Kumoricon this year considering that  his wedding is the weekend after and he's gonna be completely focused on that. As for me, my decision isn't licked down one way or another. I'm trying and want to attend I just need to figure out logistics at this point. If I do attend I'll be more than willing to help out with panels.

Oh wow! That's way more important than Kcon! Wish him congratulations for me :)

And if you need any help in order to attend, let me know and I'll see if I can manage anything! I'm not exactly sure what the logistics of my attendance are right now either, but I'm definitely going and I know a number of other people who are as well. Hope to see you there!