Author Topic: Webcomic!  (Read 4246 times)

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
Webcomic!
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:57:29 pm »
So I've just begun writing a comic I intend to be releasing via the internet! Therefore, a webcomic!
I'm very new to this, and I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers or tips? Especially like where I can release it (I was thinking deviantart), how to scan it, that type of stuff.
So anything helps if anybody has any clue! Thanks!

Save Caprica!!

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
Re: Webcomic!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:36 pm »
So your going to be drawing and then scanning it onto the computer right?

Yeah, Deviant Art is a good place I guess, depending on the theme of the comic you can post it on others as well. If it's a fan type of think based maybe on some video game, go blog it in some video game site.

Otherwise I'm going to be doing a web comic as well.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »
Cool! Thanks for the advice.

Save Caprica!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:07:53 am »
This also depends on how your comic is going to be structured.  What I'm wanting to do with my webcomic plans is to have my own site; that way, I can have my own rules and offer sponsorship.  This way, I could be advertised on other webcomics (planning on hitting up Questionable Content and Neurotically Yours as possibilities).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 06:06:24 pm »
My wife and daughter are both people to ask.  ;D  My daughter is probably the closest, and easiest to talk to.  If your email is any indicator, you are a Sonic the Hedgie fan.  If your comic is Sonic related in any way, Rally-the-Cheetah, aka my daughter Jenny, is the person you want to talk to. Her DeviantART site is here:

http://rally-the-cheetah.deviantart.com/gallery/25701046

A quick look should tell you all you want to know about her qualifications.

My wife Shelley (EasilyAmewsed) on the KCon forum, may give you hints and tips if you ask her.  She is currently doing inking and typesetting for the syndicated comic Dick Tracy.  The first strips will appear in the Chicago Tribune in May.  She has been running the Unofficial Cats Don't Dance Fansite since 1997. Her DeviantART site is here:

http://eazilyamewzed.deviantart.com/#/d2sn2xx

I have done a bit of web-page design work.  If you want to have an on-line comic I would recommend creating your own website for it.  My daughter has hers on DeviantART, but I think making your own page is nicer.  You probably have a free site with your ISP provider.  Getting a hold of a simple FTP program for free, will allow you to upload your comic to your site.  I don't know if you have any software that allows you to do web-page development or not.  There are plenty of free ones available, or if you like coding in HTML, and CSS you can just write it yourself.  It really isn't very hard.

The first major thing my wife needed was a large flatbed scanner.  You really don't want to use the small ones that can only fit a 8 1/2" x 11"  piece of paper.  The one she ended up getting is an All-in-one unit by Brother.  The MFC-6490CW.  It cost about $200, but it is well worth the money.  If you do digital art, you also will want to purchase a good digitizing tablet.  Trying to do any form of art in Photoshop with just a mouse is crazy!  I recommend getting a Wacom intuos 3 or better.  You may be able to find one for around $20.  If you are just scanning in the already finished work and then using Photoshop, or some similar free software like GIMP to clean it up, you can get by with just a mouse.

Hope this helps.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:47:51 pm »
Wow! Thank you so much!! I will have to chat with them about it :D
As much as I would love to write one, Sonic is not the main concept of my webcomic  :'( Though maybe one day, haha
I just completed the first chapter, but I would like to have maybe ten or so done beforehand.

Save Caprica!!