Author Topic: Winter 2011: What are you watching?  (Read 9460 times)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Winter 2011: What are you watching?
« on: January 11, 2011, 05:00:50 pm »
http://thecartdriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Winter-v21.jpg
What are you going to be watching?

I'm going to for sure watch Kimi Ni Todoke season 2, the new Kara no Kyoukai movie, and the Kuragehime OVA. The only other thing I'm going to try out is Fractal, but I don't have high hopes from what I've seen already :\

This season is worst season. Too much loli B.S.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Winter 2011: What are you watching?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:04:17 pm »
KIMI NI TODOKE ALL THE WAY! I was so excited when I heard there was going to be another season <3.
I'll watch the Kuragehime OVA as well~
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:08:52 pm »
The Wuntvor rating for this season
01. Kore wa Zombie desu ka - This has got to be the best thing out there.  A definite win!
02. Beelzebub - If you like Bleach give this one a try.
03. Dragon Crisis! - MOE!  Oh, I like this one!
04. Kimi ni Todoke S2 - YEAH!  More Kimi ni Todoke!
05. Gosick - The world needs more Gothic Lolita Detectives.
06. Infinite Stratos - Why is it that all battle-suits can only be operated by women, and why is there always only one guy who can operate them as well  ???  Cliche, but still looks good.
07. Wolverine - Hey it's Wolverine.  Of course I'll watch it!
08. Rio - Rainbow Gate - This show can't decide what it wants to be.  :-\  Ecchi, comedy, battle, action.  It is interesting at least.
09. Freezing - Makes me think of Fates/Stay Night or Claymore.  Watching women beat the crap out of one another. So-so.
10. Yumekui Merry - This one is a brain messer upper.  It has some possibilities though.
11. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - This is not your typical magical girl show.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline lover-of-the-pepsi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 06:36:25 pm »
I recently got into Soul Eater. I'm really diggin it, it's fun to watch..... :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:39:24 pm by lover-of-the-pepsi »
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:46:53 pm »
I'm so behind on what's new, but right now I'm watching Baccano! and loving it to bits. Next up is Durarara!!, Evangelion, GetBackers, Haibane Renmei, and Panty And Stocking.

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 04:07:09 pm »
So far this season...

Dragon Crisis: Seems to have a solid premise, although i never touched the light novels. Going to keep watching if only for the fact that i have no reason to dislike it so far.

Gosick: Loli Sherlock Holmes, although in a different way than Milky Holmes gave us... Shows a lot of premise, and Bones put some good work into the animation, but it needs to pick up the pace with the action. Two episodes in, and the single mystery we have is too simple to be so drawn out. Keeping my eye on it.

Kore Wa Zombie Desuka?: Expect zombies, got LOLRANDUMB, although it pulls it together in a way i cant really describe. It's only episode two, but we already have a straightman zombie, a mute necromancer in platemail, a powerless Mahou Shoujou, and a vampire ninja sitting around fighting giant crawfish. Probably the only show thats managed to make me laugh out loud so far.

Yumekui Merry: Interesting character design, an excellent manga, and some good music is making the subpar JC Staff animation not even noticable. Shows a lot of promise with the dream-based story and claustrophobic color schemes.

Hourou Musuko: Adaptation of one of my all time favorite manga. I'd probably like it even if it were horrible, but the art is beautiful, the music is fitting, and the story is being carried over nicely. My only real complaint is the odd decision to start around 40 chapters of comic into the story, with everything before it being told in flashbacks, but they've been doing a good job of it, so i wont let it bother me.

Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!: What i expected: Ripoff of OreImo. What i got: Godawful animation, one dimensional characters, and shallow, boring story in general. Dropped at episode one.

Haven't really tried anything else, but if anyone around here points out some must-watch that i missed, I'll probably pick it up.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:05:33 pm »

Haven't really tried anything else, but if anyone around here points out some must-watch that i missed, I'll probably pick it up.

Only other shows I would recommend are Beelzebub, Infinite Stratos, and Fractale.  I would be curious to see what you think of them.  I agree with you on all of the others, although I am watching Onii-chan for a bit longer.  I am a "dirty old man" though, so I have an excuse.   ;D  Show definitely got more ecchi in the second episode.  I think it will be even worse than Kiss x Sis, and is already worse than B Gata H Kei.
Freezing may show some promise, but I hate the dang censoring by cutting it down to standard from HD.  I mean, they even chop off half of signs and displays! It is so annoying.  I may just wait for the DVD releases to watch it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:56:04 pm by Wuntvor »

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:46 pm »
Well i've just watched Break Blade, which was really good. I'm looking forward to watching Fractal.  ;D I also just finished Durarara! super cool.
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 05:08:25 pm »
Why is no one watching Level E?? So far it's been pretty hilarious xD
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 05:30:19 pm »
Why is no one watching Level E?? So far it's been pretty hilarious xD

I have been watching it.  Not as high on my meter as Kore wa Zombie desu ka and Beelzebub, but it is in the top 5, or at least the top 10.  Makes me think of Eerie, Indiana.   ;D

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:56 pm »
I just heard Michael Jackson in my head singing Eerie, Indiana Eerie, Indiana,, Eerie, Indiana...blurg :P

I've only been collecting shows so far. I've watched the first episodes, but...am trying to catch up on Netflix; I don't like to keep hold of their discs all that long, and wade through Inu Yasha.

Are you sure about Beelzebub? Maybe the infantile humor is too infantile. Or I think it steals too much from Urasei Yatsura, but not in a good way. I haven't collected eps. 2 and 3.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 04:05:49 pm »

Are you sure about Beelzebub? Maybe the infantile humor is too infantile. Or I think it steals too much from Urasei Yatsura, but not in a good way. I haven't collected eps. 2 and 3.

Beelzebub is full of site gags and situational comedy.  It also has some of the best anime quotes out there.  Both of the scenes where the demons are requesting permission to stay with the families are hilarious! And now that Oga has started looking for someone else for Baby Beel to like more than him, it has gotten totally crazy.  His line in the OVA to Aoi Kunidea, the head of the female delinquents , was priceless. "This guy, please be his mother!"   :o  :-[  She turned so red!  So did I, from laughing.   :D

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 04:08:45 pm »
The only new things that I've been watching lately is MM and The World That Only God Knows (or whatever the title is).  MM is the better of the two, I think.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:32:20 pm »
I'm about a year behind the world right now, so if my list seems dated, forgive me.

But, I just discovered Moribito, and I am in love with it. Going to be watching it on Netflix, but so far I adore the animation. It is visually lush to a degree rare in anime, I think. The protagonist, also, is a strong heroine which I appreciate and admire in anime.

Also just found Shigurui, which I am also really impressed with so far. It is visually gritty, yet ridiculously detailed, and the story it seems to be telling is really interesting, a guttural take on the typical samurai scenario. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Those are a couple of the two biggest that I'm into right now.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:04 pm »
Started watching Gosick and I'm in love, even though I'm only one episode in. The little mystery reminded me of Umineko a bit, and the main girl has stolen my heart.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 01:13:11 am »
RomeoXJuliet
black butler
hetalia
tsubasa
wolfs rain
mubaruho
wolverine anime
iron man anime

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 05:38:43 am »
RomeoXJuliet
black butler
hetalia
tsubasa
wolfs rain
mubaruho
wolverine anime
iron man anime

Yay! Wolf's Rain. Brilliant anime, that one. Hope you like it!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 06:46:05 am »
I love it so much it's hard to describe :D

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 11:48:47 am »
I am watching most of them everyweek but whats really important is that Bakuman is still airing.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 09:46:44 pm »
I'd been busy watching all 167+26 eps. of InuYasha, so last night it was a big Bakuman marathon to catch up.

Tonight it's Dragon Crisis. Well, I liked ep. 1 anyway, from way back when.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:21 pm »
Watching Level E, Dragon Crisis and Madoka Magica HNNNNNNNNNNNG MADOKA MAGICA <33333

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 06:38:08 pm »
Finished Shigurui, felt like it dropped the ball severely by the time it was over. Left me with way too many questions that should have been answered.

Now watching Basilisk, and really enjoying it. It is unbelievably over-the-top at times, but nothing I can fault it for when feuding legendary ninjas are the focus.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 06:24:35 pm »
Basilisk could've been written by Shakespeare, I think. Well it's set at thew right time. I thought it was great.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline xxToki

• Sailor Scout
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 10:05:12 pm »
Slowly working through my way of the long list of "Plan-To-Watch" that I have... > w> As for things I've been keeping up to date with: Starry☆Sky, Hetalia World Series and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. This weekend I'll get back on track with Bakuman, seeing as it's almost over for this season. </3 I'm in the process of re-watching Durarara!! too.
[ Kumoricon 2014 ]

*~ Chisaki Hiradaira from Nagi no Asukara
*~ Vincent Nightray from Pandora Hearts
*~ Ryuko Matoi from Kill la Kill
*~ Chihiro Fujisaki from Dangan Ronpa
*~ Christa Renz from SNK

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 10:40:44 pm »
Basilisk could've been written by Shakespeare, I think. Well it's set at thew right time. I thought it was great.

I hear that! I'm more than halfway through, and I am in love with it. It's so classically tragic, it really does remind me of Shakespeare. Very well written in that classical sense, with beautifully tragic turns on both sides of the battle. ("A Swarm of Butterflies" is my favorite episode so far, and I'll be honest, it got my eyes watering).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Fachion-pari

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 04:24:50 pm »
I started watching Mahou Shojo madoka Magica a week ago, and I'm super addicted. *o*
Also keeping up with Star Driver and watching Hourou Musuko slowly, since I'm caught up in the manga, haha.
Kumoricon 2012!
Midori - Devil Survivor
Lal Mirch- Khr (possibly)
Masako - Mawaru Penguindrum

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 05:23:38 pm »
Basilisk, a manly anime to make men cry. If you're crying now, wait until the end. Almost as bad as saving Private Ryan.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 12:29:49 pm »
So far this season...

Dragon Crisis: Seems to have a solid premise, although i never touched the light novels. Going to keep watching if only for the fact that i have no reason to dislike it so far.

Gosick: Loli Sherlock Holmes, although in a different way than Milky Holmes gave us... Shows a lot of premise, and Bones put some good work into the animation, but it needs to pick up the pace with the action. Two episodes in, and the single mystery we have is too simple to be so drawn out. Keeping my eye on it.

Kore Wa Zombie Desuka?: Expect zombies, got LOLRANDUMB, although it pulls it together in a way i cant really describe. It's only episode two, but we already have a straightman zombie, a mute necromancer in platemail, a powerless Mahou Shoujou, and a vampire ninja sitting around fighting giant crawfish. Probably the only show thats managed to make me laugh out loud so far.

Yumekui Merry: Interesting character design, an excellent manga, and some good music is making the subpar JC Staff animation not even noticable. Shows a lot of promise with the dream-based story and claustrophobic color schemes.

Hourou Musuko: Adaptation of one of my all time favorite manga. I'd probably like it even if it were horrible, but the art is beautiful, the music is fitting, and the story is being carried over nicely. My only real complaint is the odd decision to start around 40 chapters of comic into the story, with everything before it being told in flashbacks, but they've been doing a good job of it, so i wont let it bother me.

Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!: What i expected: Ripoff of OreImo. What i got: Godawful animation, one dimensional characters, and shallow, boring story in general. Dropped at episode one.

To update, in a way...
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Pretty much the last time i ever listen to /a/ about not giving something a shot. All star cast, amazing art direction, beautiful Kajiura Yuki music. Basically, a dark deconstruction of the Mahou Shoujou genre. It's weird, every time I'm ready to call SHAFT pretentious and stop watching whatever they put out, they manage to grab me with something brilliant. A must watch.

Also, considering dropping Dragon Crisis, giving it another episode. DEEN, I am disappoint.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 02:49:31 pm »
Finished Black butler

Tried and dropped: Fullmetal panic

Tried and saved: Ga-Rei-Zero

Waiting for more episodes of: Hellsing ultimate, fractale.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 02:52:54 pm »
Continuing Basilisk (5 episodes left), as well as Dragon Ball (about a fifth of the way through). Dragon Ball, so fun and nostalgic. Can't get enough of it, haha.

*Update: Just finished Basilisk...whew, what a killer! So tragic and beautiful, it was yanking my tears out by the bucket. Definitely a favorite of mine. Just unfortunate it took me so long to see it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:09:29 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »
But don't you feel better now?

Now you have to watch the live action movie of the story, Shinobi

Still been catching up with Naruto. THe stuff from Netflix has been less than rewarding, and there was little I hadn't already seen left to see. AND that is if they actually have the discs, and I COULD maybe watch them. So I downgraded my subscription.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 09:29:35 pm »
Just started Eden of the East after seeing a preview of it at the Funimation panel last Kumoricon. So far it's very good, I'm only a couple of episodes in but it's held my interest really well.