Author Topic: 3-D Gaming: Hazardous to Kids' Vision, per Nintendo  (Read 4317 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
Re: 3-D Gaming: Hazardous to Kids' Vision, per Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:21:11 am »
I actually read that somewhere. Not really worried, though.

Save Caprica!!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:29:04 am »
Personally I stay away from anything 3-D due to belief that it might give me headaches or dizziness.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 12:34:42 am »
It's only bad for children who haven't already developed 3-D perception, and it's not all 3-D devices, just the 3DS really, since it works with autostereoscopic technologies (unlike 3-D glasses, which bisect layered stereoscopic images to generate binocular 3-dimensional imaging) which aren't very well-developed and could potentially interfere with proper development of depth perception and spatial awareness.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:10:00 pm »
Personally I stay away from anything 3-D due to belief that it might give me headaches or dizziness.

I know people who get dizzy from 3-d video games, and I just mean non-sidescrollers, not the ones where you have to wear the glasses. I stay away from 3-d simply because I feel it's unnecessary. Now whenever holographs are introduced to the public, that's different.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:49:20 pm »
Holographic babes! Sign me up!  8)

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:09:57 pm »
How much for a holodeck?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:01:24 pm »
Holographic babes! Sign me up!  8)

How much for a holodeck?

You know, it's weird, I was talking about this with some of my colleagues last night.  I fully agree with reppy!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
Actually, it is true what Tofu said about the children.
However...there is more. :/

You have to look at the screen from a set distance and angle for it to not hurt your eyes. If you move anywhere out of that designated area, even one inch, you will strain your eyes, get headaches, and all that fun stuff.
So yes, it can be dangerous but it's not if you stay in that one position the whole time.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 12:18:35 pm »
Different people react differently to the 3D effects. You have people like me who can play for hours on end with not even a minor headache, and you get other people who look at it for 5 minutes and feel nauseous.

One funny thing though is that not only have optometrists said that its fine for younger kids to look at the 3DS without worry about eye damage, but that it can actually be good for them by potentially pointing out problems with their eyesight while its still able to be corrected easily. One big one it could help point out is amblyopia, or lazy eye.

Article if people want to read up on it: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108727-The-3DS-Could-Sort-Of-Help-Kids-Eyesight

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »
I'd like to point out that the angle and distance is very comfortable and kind of where you would play even without 3D/

Save Caprica!!