Author Topic: What do you do with your costumes when you are done with them?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
What do you do with your costumes when you are done with them?
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:37:18 am »
What do you do when you are done wearing a costume forever? Do you throw it away, try to sell it, or keep it? Why?

For those who sell, do you have any costume that you could never part with for some reason or another?

I'm selling a bunch of my costumes because I will never wear them again and I could use the money. I just got a buyer for my last Bridget costume and I'm feeling a slight twinge in my heart, hahahaha.

There are two costumes I would never ever sell. One is my White Mage, which I will not be wearing again. It was the first costume I made and I worked really hard on it so it holds a lot of memories. Second is my Miria costume which I am still wearing but I'll be retiring soon. Though I did nothing on that costume but modify it and cut it out and pin it together when my mom first made it, it was the first cosplay I did with my boyfriend, and I really love her character.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:38:09 am by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

oslapedo

Re: What do you do with your costumes when you are done with them?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:44:52 am »
Eeep, you're retiring Miria, will KCon '11 be your last con for her?

I know I won't ever sell the first two I totally made by myself, Snorlax, and Envy, because they were made horribly and wouldn't even be worth anything. It would also be hard for me to sell Meiko because though I didn't make it it was the first cosplay I wore where I felt like I did the character justice and I just had a heck of a lot of fun in it.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:54:13 am »
I guess it depends... My first fully made cosplay is my Magnet Luka and I don't think I could ever sell it.
I altered my Penelope into a Pikachu and sold it to Shay cause I knew she would use it more than I would and it wasn't a really close cosplay for me.
Sasuko I probably wouldn't sell either cause it was my first 'advanced' cosplay where I made absolutely everything except the wig. I even made the shoes for it.

Though once I'm done with some, if they don't hold a close place in my heart, I will probably sell them or at least pieces of them.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:58:08 am »
@Sahara- Just the red dress I think. I'll be doing more of her outfits eventually!
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:54 am »
I'm a fairly new cosplayer (a year and a half), but for now, everything lives in a special "cosplay" designated section of my closet. I don't think I'll ever officially "retire" any of it unless I am just completely done with cosplaying and anime someday.

I kinda feel like getting rid of any of my costumes would be like. . . an artist throwing away his old creations. The real reason is probably that none of my costumes are good enough to sell though, haha.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:51:39 am »
I don't make my cosplays and I haven't been particularly close to any. So I sell mine, but I'm hoping for the day when there is one I love too much to sell. =,D

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 07:55:24 am »
it depends realy. at first i would either scarafice them for newer cosplays or give the realy crappy ones to good will (like my first calcifer that people confused for a fire fairy.... but i totaly see why they thought that....)

now ive started to try to sell them.

but most of them hang out in my closet for random photoshoots
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:06:34 am »
A lot of them I wear parts of on a regular basis. (for example, my two face stuff gets mixed into my wardrobe)
Those that I don't usually get hung up in my costume nook. I don't think I'll ever wear most of them again, simply because I love the challenge of making new stuff...
I don't sell it half because I'm too attached and also because I'm too self-concious to try and get money for them.

The few that I don't wear and I'm not too attached to usually get totally canabalized for parts :)
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 03:52:11 pm »
Viking funeral.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 03:55:14 pm »
I keep them, because i know someday a character will show up that i can use stuff from other cosplays for.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 03:59:13 pm »
I sell stuff that I don't have an emotional attachement to.
For example, I had no problem selling Ranka, cause I've never really been into Macross, but Alois and Len aren't going anywhere. xD

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 03:59:40 pm »
I haven't come to that point yet and I still only have one costume. I'll probably sell or packrat them in my closet for the day I'm an old man and want to open a costume shop. :P
Viking funeral.
Brutal. :/
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline ainekatt

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 04:26:02 pm »
The only costume I want to get rid of that I have is my Roxas cosplay.

And it wasn't well enough made to sell.

Especially seeing as if I sold it, I would never make back what I spent on materials. So it stays in a box of shame. As a reminder, I guess.

Other than that I find things to do with every costume. I've canibalized pieces of them before (usually wigs - I repurpose wigs like nobody's business). But who knows. I haven't really finished enough costumes to have retired any really. Except Roxas. But I've already talked about that.

Currently working on: Toni Ipres - Hanna is Not a Boy's Name

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 04:30:04 pm »
Well I don't really see anyone wanting to buy my costumes, and they're not quality enough to do that so I usually just break them apart. Unless they're not retired yet.

If there's broken pieces or pieces I can't use for anything else I throw them away then everything else I tend to reuse for something else if I can.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline BlackLaceAndPearl

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 04:51:33 pm »
I'm pretty new with cosplaying--I only have my Nekozawa-- but aside from the fact that ever since his first appearance, I completely loved him, his cloak/robe will probably come in handy for other characters, and maybe the wig will prove itself useful again someday, too.  :)
But that cloak brings back so many memories. Selling it never even crossed my mind.
Kumoricon 2011

Elizabeth Middleford - Kuroshitsuji
Alois Trancy - Kuroshitsuji II

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 05:15:58 pm »
If I really love the costume I keep it forever. if it wasnt something that special I either sell it or recycle parts of it for other cosplays.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 05:37:51 pm »
I have only sold one so far, and it was kind of terribly made (sold it for $10) and I didn't being the character much. There are a few I will never ever sell, because I had loads of fun cosplaying them, or I went through alot to make it. I still have my very first cosplay (which was crap) up in my closet in a shoe box that is taped shut. All the rest are in my closet hanging up.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay