Author Topic: Getting in shape  (Read 286176 times)

Offline fadadio

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
Re: Getting in shape
« Reply #800 on: August 09, 2013, 10:54:26 pm »
"update"

Now I am down to 155 and will soon be 154, my original goal was to get to 152 for Kumoricon but given how fast I have been shedding the pounds I might be able to hit a lean 150. One thing that has helped me lose the weight is that I start each day with a half scoop of protein powder which punches my hunger in the face, then ill eat half of my breakfast. go on a 1 hour jog/walk then finish the breakfast afterword for my lunch. I am taking in less that 1400 calories a day and burning around 2400 to 2600 a day between my jogging walking and weight lifting
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:56:18 pm by fadadio »

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #801 on: August 18, 2013, 08:59:22 pm »
Since Dec 2011, I have lost 140+lbs :) The only thing I did was completely change my diet, it  resembles the paleo diet except I do eat oatmeal and brown rice, although I don't call it a "diet" but a life change and working out. I pretty much bike everywhere, I LOVE to bike, I hike almost every weekend, gym 4X a week with weight training as well. I'm extremely active and my life has never been the same. I'm such a confident person compared to my former self, people don't recognize me and not just because of my complete body change but because my personality is positive and bright.  8)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #802 on: August 19, 2013, 02:08:37 am »
^ Congrats. :)

Hey guys and gals, my trainer has been having me do some exercises for the lower belly trouble spot most tend to have and I thought I would share. My belly complains that it works and that's reason enough to share lol.

Okay, there are a couple lower difficulty ones for those who don't have much strength to do the higher difficulty ones yet. With any of these workouts it is advised to do a set of 25 situps as a warmup.
  -The first is to take a 5 ft long PVC pipe or something along those lines. Grab it by the ends or nearby and place it behind your shoulders at the pivot point of the shoulders. Next you look at something stationary straight ahead of you and keep your head pointed at it. Then you twist your torso as far as it will go one way then as far as it will go the other. You want to keep a slow pace and focus on control and positioning and you'll probably want to flex your stomach muscles to keep them tight through the whole process for 25 repetitions. According to my trainer the reason you focus on the stationary object is so you don't twist too far and hurt your back. This is more of a workout for the sides of the belly than the lower belly but it still works the core muscles that will be needed.
 - The second is to lay down with your head up against something that you can hold onto for balance. A couch would probably work just fine for this. lay down stretched out then lift your feet up off the ground and keep going until they touch the couch cushion or until you reach the farthest you can safely stretch. It is perfectly fine if your hips come up off the ground in this process. After touching the couch cushion, slowly bring your legs back down. The slower and more controlled your movement goes, the more the muscles will benefit from the workout.

Too easy? Not getting the results you're looking for? Try this combination:
 - lay down on the ground or yoga mat/pad/whatever and place one of those peanut shaped yoga balls between your feet and your feet would be in the middle of the hourglass shape area and the ball as far towards the feet as possible. With your hands placed stretched out below your butt for leverage and your legs stretched out holding the ball between the feet, lift the ball up in the air and slowly bring it back down until about an inch before it touches the ground before lifting again. This is meant for 25 reps but don't be too surprised if you need to break it up into 3 sets of 8 or whatever works best for you.

- Next exercise you put the ball away and lay flat on your back again stretched out with your arms stretched out to the side palms down. Bring your feet up into the air and once you are stable, slowly tilt your legs to one side as far as you can go without losing your balance then go back to the straight up pose and tilt to the other side for the same process. Congratulations, you've done one rep. 24 to go.

- Again on the back and arms down for leverage this is probably the most stressful exercise (at least it is for me). Again lift your feet up in the air only this time you flex your stomach muscles to pull your hips about an inch off of the ground. The key here is to work like your are stretching your feet/legs straight up into the air. Hold the pose for as long as possible or until a count of 100. What makes this hard is the fact that you are in a position that doesn't make breathing easy at all let alone controlled breathing in addition to the tendency to tilt the legs up and over the body/head in this kind of position when they should be straight up. Also be careful of cramping.

- People might think you're getting ready for a nap with how much you'll be on the floor because the last exercise is again, on the back stretched out. After you've taken some time to recover from the previous exercise, place your hands under your hips to prop them up about an inch off the ground. lift your feet up a little bit then lift one of your legs up in the air about 35 degrees from the ground. As that foot comes down lift the other foot up for the same way all while never letting your feet touch the ground. This should be similar to how you kick your feet when swimming and your goal is 100 reps. Don't be too discouraged if you end up having to split it into 4 sets of 25 because your capabilities will increase with practice and training.

Remember, it only hurts for 48 hours. Happy training!
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline fadadio

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #803 on: August 25, 2013, 10:59:00 pm »
I finally hit and exceeded my weight loss plans, I wanted to be at 152 for kumoricon and now I am 150.

Mission complete!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #804 on: August 25, 2013, 11:40:18 pm »
I wanted to add a little update of random info I learned in the last few days. For you calorie-counters, apparently if you take your current weight and multiply it by 12, that gives you how many calories you burn a day. Supposedly.

ie.: 117 x 12 = 1404

My only issue with that, is i) I'm petite and ii) would this even truly work?
I also have an issue with it regarding it seems like learning a new language to learn how to count calories. It seems easier to understand how much you should eat based on you personal fist-size and stuff... @.@;
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

izamor

« Reply #805 on: August 26, 2013, 12:04:56 am »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:32:35 pm by izamor »

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #806 on: September 06, 2013, 03:29:43 am »
The day after con I weighed myself and discovered I lost 3 lbs. two days later worth of sleeping and recovery/doing almost nothing and I discovered I lost 3 more lbs.

I'll take it!
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

izamor

« Reply #807 on: September 06, 2013, 04:20:01 am »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:32:41 pm by izamor »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #808 on: September 06, 2013, 07:59:25 am »
I didn't quite reach my goal of bench press but in general I was very happy with how I looked. Its kinda a blurry picture but when I saw it I squealed a little :3
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1236698_10201651202829410_1867661823_n.jpg

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #809 on: September 12, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »
I REACHED MY GOAL! Not in time for Kumoricon but I did get to 135 lb bench press on Tuesday. I did 8 at that weight. Next week I will try t do 2 sets of 8 at that weight.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #810 on: September 20, 2013, 07:57:05 am »
A few weeks ago, I started on a low-gluten/ gluten free diet (I try to only eat it on Fridays). And its been pretty successful! I lost almost 10 lbs already!

Later next week, I'll finally have a workout buddy at school that will do early morning workouts with me. Its hard to find someone that wants to work out at 6:30. I'll be putting together most of our workouts, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in me putting them up here or on a blog?
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #811 on: September 20, 2013, 10:51:12 am »
A few weeks ago, I started on a low-gluten/ gluten free diet (I try to only eat it on Fridays). And its been pretty successful! I lost almost 10 lbs already!

Later next week, I'll finally have a workout buddy at school that will do early morning workouts with me. Its hard to find someone that wants to work out at 6:30. I'll be putting together most of our workouts, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in me putting them up here or on a blog?

That sounds a lot like my diet! :D  My diet is called a "slow carb" diet, which means I avoid pretty much all carbs, except from stuff like legumes, vegetables, etc. Saturday I eat whatever the heck I want!

And there's a pretty cool site called Fitocracy.com. It's like an MMO for exercise or something. :) You earn achievements and stuff when you enter your workouts. I think you can even join groups and have friends. It should be free and open to the public, but if it's not let me know I think I have an invitation I can send out.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #812 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:09 am »

That sounds a lot like my diet! :D  My diet is called a "slow carb" diet, which means I avoid pretty much all carbs, except from stuff like legumes, vegetables, etc. Saturday I eat whatever the heck I want!

And there's a pretty cool site called Fitocracy.com. It's like an MMO for exercise or something. :) You earn achievements and stuff when you enter your workouts. I think you can even join groups and have friends. It should be free and open to the public, but if it's not let me know I think I have an invitation I can send out.

How do you like it? I'm feeling great after settling into this diet. It's also improved my emotions a bit!

Oh! I have a fitocracy, I totally forgot about it haha. Want to swap usernames?

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #813 on: September 20, 2013, 05:05:02 pm »

How do you like it? I'm feeling great after settling into this diet. It's also improved my emotions a bit!

Oh! I have a fitocracy, I totally forgot about it haha. Want to swap usernames?

I really like it. Also, I'm not really ever hungry as long as I actually make sure to eat. I'm super bad about skipping meals when I'm busy or stressed out.

And yeah, I'm reppy on there! XD Add me!

I haven't used it in awhile, but I recently paid for DDP Yoga. DDP aka Diamind Dallas Page of wrestling fame. It seems like it'll be really fun and be quite a workout so I am excited to try it out... when it gets here.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

izamor

« Reply #814 on: September 20, 2013, 06:51:53 pm »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:32:47 pm by izamor »

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #815 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:04 pm »
Awesome! I'll add you both. My username is ComicalPumpkin

izamor

« Reply #816 on: September 21, 2013, 10:16:23 pm »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:32:51 pm by izamor »

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #817 on: September 22, 2013, 03:20:09 pm »
Sometimes, when you reach a "certain age" it begins to feel as if it's impossible to take off weight (but REALLY EASY to GAIN weight)...

I'd put on an additional 25 pounds in the past 8 years. Back in March, I did some experiments with what I was eating and discovered that I have issues with wheat (nasty, unpleasant gastro-intestinal issues... you can look up the list if you want to) - when I stopped eating wheat two things happened: (1) the gastro-intestinal issues that were making me miserable went away and (2) I lost weight.  :D   So I've been off wheat for 6 1/2  months and shed 13 pounds within that time. Now, please note that this doesn't mean that ditching wheat will help you lose weight (I've heard that there are some fad diets that shun wheat)... you do still have to make sure you are getting proper nutrition... However, if you're constantly feeling unwell, it's possible that avoiding wheat could alleviate those symptoms as well as allow you to take off some extra pounds.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #818 on: September 22, 2013, 08:42:36 pm »
Speaking of age and REALLY EASY to gain weight:

My mom's told me countless times that if she has 2-3 days of eating like crap, that if the next two days she goes back to eating healthy and like normal, she'll shed whatever weight she had gained right away.

I guess recently acquired fat is easier to burn off then 'settled in' fat?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #819 on: September 24, 2013, 03:54:31 am »

I feel that I should warn you that gluten free diets are actually *usually* worse if you are trying to lose weight. Most gluten free alternative foods cause more weight gain (more carbs and starches among other things that non-gluten free has less of for more energy and nutrition). Normally when people lose weight from a gluten free diet it is due to one and/or two reasons: #1 people on gluten free diets are usually more aware of what is in their food and usually stick to a healthier diet of fruits and veges where gluten isn't even a factor #2 Allergies may have caused the weight gain in the first place, so when the person gets the item out of their diet they can lose weight.

Having the symptoms of Celiac's disease myself, I have had to do years worth of research on the subject. Really, there is only an advantage if you have health problems caused by a gluten intolerance/Celiac's disease/allergy. Of course, it's not going to hurt you being on a gluten free diet, but many people view it as a diet to lose weight like most fad diets when it is usually counter-intuitive for that purpose.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #820 on: September 24, 2013, 05:10:28 am »

I feel that I should warn you that gluten free diets are actually *usually* worse if you are trying to lose weight. Most gluten free alternative foods cause more weight gain (more carbs and starches among other things that non-gluten free has less of for more energy and nutrition). Normally when people lose weight from a gluten free diet it is due to one and/or two reasons: #1 people on gluten free diets are usually more aware of what is in their food and usually stick to a healthier diet of fruits and veges where gluten isn't even a factor #2 Allergies may have caused the weight gain in the first place, so when the person gets the item out of their diet they can lose weight.

Having the symptoms of Celiac's disease myself, I have had to do years worth of research on the subject. Really, there is only an advantage if you have health problems caused by a gluten intolerance/Celiac's disease/allergy. Of course, it's not going to hurt you being on a gluten free diet, but many people view it as a diet to lose weight like most fad diets when it is usually counter-intuitive for that purpose.

I should've mentioned that I didn't go GF just to lose weight. I am because I read that there is a possibility that gluten could be linked to raised anxiety. So I am trying it out to see if cutting gluten helps with anxiety problems that I have been having. The weight loss is just a positive 'side effect' haha.

I have also noticed that on Saturdays (the day after my "free" day) I don't feel the best, so maybe I do have an intolerance of some sort.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:10:45 am by nyahaha »

Offline ShadowDancer

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #821 on: September 30, 2013, 10:03:39 pm »
I've actually been GF for about the past year or so (and late reply I know). I had medical issues with it so I just cut it out completely and have been doing fine, but a few friends of mine have taken it as a more of a fad dieting (I think it's just to make me feel better XD) but every time they slip up and start eating it again, they don't always feel the best. I don't know exactly why this is, but I'm pretty sure it's just that your body becomes less tolerant of it if you don't eat it for a long enough time. You can build it back up, but like my doctor told me, you can also grow out of the intolerance.

But yeah.
I have no idea if this helps anything or what, just thought I'd share the experience!
K-con 2014:
[Not in order]
_____
--> Masaomi Kida
-->Akasuna No Sasori
-->Obito Uchiha(Tobi)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #822 on: October 01, 2013, 12:00:54 am »
Some people can reset their bodies tolerances through long periods of abstinence, yes.

My theory is that with all the gmo foods manipulating our dna to cause the intolerance, if you get away from the foods causing the changes it allows your body's (good) bacteria and chemistry to reset. I think there is a point of no return, though. :\
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

izamor

« Reply #823 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:14 am »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:32:58 pm by izamor »

Offline lauradee

• Oni
    • Google+
« Reply #824 on: January 04, 2014, 11:46:42 am »
I have some major goals this year because there are a number of outfits and costumes I have been dying to get into, and this year I am making it happen. I have about 30 pounds I have to get rid of. I picked up at 15 of that just over the holidays. Moving into the new year and spring just around the corner, I have created a plan that includes a very strict diet and tons of cardio workouts. I am excited this year because I am closer than I have ever been to really killing some of the characters that I enjoy doing.
Ready for a new and amazing look? Get your pair of fashion sclera contacts  for half price now!

Offline Airema

• Oni
« Reply #825 on: April 09, 2014, 10:28:22 pm »
Hahahaha, so I'm like really late to this XD

Anyway...

Current Status: Ummm, I'm 18, about 5'10'', and currently around 195 lbs. I'm sort of built stocky-ish like my farmer ancestors before me so I look pretty close to average as is for my body type but, since stopping volleyball, my belly has fluffed up a bit.

Goal: If I was to give it a number I would say like the lower 180's, but my goal is to mostly get toned (I generally also pick up muscle weight when I work out so numbers are hard).

Plan to reach goal: First off, I have to wait until summer to really start most of my effort because of school. Since I can generally lose weight fairly quickly when I put my mind to it that's not too much of an issue.
My plan is to do Zumba at least 5 times a week for at least an hour (I can usually go longer though), then do exercises that will specifically help the toning of my abdominals (any suggestions on workouts to help burn fat there would be cool, that and ones for like side rib fat). Also, somethings that help me that I will probably also do involves drinking more, eating better proportions, and not eating after 8:30 at night. Oh and eating better foods obviously.

That's about it, I hope everyone else ends up successful!! :D
Planned Cosplays (2016):

Toriel (Undertale)
Bee (Bee and Puppycat)
Domo-kun (maybe)

The rest is to be decided...

Offline Ashok

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #826 on: April 10, 2014, 08:19:20 am »
I am 16, 5'5" and I weigh about 216 pounds (really embarrassed to say it...) I come from a "larger" family so I might be a little bigger boned and I have no clue how to lose weight.
I started out easy walking about a mile out side each day but I had accidentally fallen out of habit due to a week of constant rain.
My goal before Kumoricon is to lose 20 pounds or to at least make a noticeable difference since I will be doing a few cosplays that reveal my tum. (like 3 of them)

So I plan to start eating right within a certain time frame, cut down my soda intake, and start exercising more (slightly a pain due to bad joints but I am hoping that exercising may make them better c:)
If anyone has any advice they can give me, It will surely help!! Anyway wish me luck!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #827 on: April 11, 2014, 08:16:17 am »
I am always a huge fan of weight lifting, even for females. I think it does something that cardio just can't do (builds muscle which then requires more calories to function properly even when you aren't working out and thus burring more calories). If you do start weight lifting I would suggest that you stop worrying about weight and more about measurements. I have 5'4" and I just weighed myself and I am now up to 146 lbs, but I have abs, a flat stomach, and my body fat is 22% which is in the athletic range. So while weight lifting your weight means nothing.

Though you will most likely need a gym membership if you do decide to pick up weight lifting. And if you are interested I can help direct you to the lifts you should be doing for the best results.

If you aren't interested I would lean more towards high intensity interval training (HIIT). Basically going at medium speed for 45 seconds then fast speed for 15 seconds, repeat 10-15 times. It could be walking and speed walking, walking and jogging, jogging and running, running and sprinting, or pretty much any cardio machine. If you are using a machine a bike or elliptical is the easiest one to do it on.

Offline xXthatcrazychickXx

• Cabbit
« Reply #828 on: May 03, 2014, 05:09:46 pm »
Height: 5'5.
Weight: 178 pounds.
My main goal is to lose at least thirty pounds. Ideally, however, I would like to be 130-125, or somewhere in that range. Luckily, I have found a diet that will work out for me.  :)  I enjoy hiking, walking, and swimming, but the weather has been too cold for those activities. However, since warmer weather is approaching, I can get some exercise as well.

Offline BrokenPsyche

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #829 on: July 02, 2014, 09:54:10 am »
Details: I'm 17, 5'7 and I weigh about 175lbs. Though I don't look that big? A lot of my weight comes from muscle (thank god)

Goal: I just want to get rid of my unwanted fat. Mostly on my legs and stomach. But on my arms would be wonderful too. I don't have a lot of fat, as I said, I have a lot of muscle mass.

Plan: I went to the gym every other day for about two weeks (but got sick and had to stop) But once I get new workout clothes, starting today, I will start up going every other day again. So 3 days a week. I work out for 1 hour, sometimes 1 1/2. If I'm feeling really good then 2 hours. I drink plenty of water and don't eat any extra food aside from a little something in the morning, a medium amount for lunch, and then a medium dinner.
Portions is everything!!!
I don't eat any fast food and almost never eat sweets.
Basically, a work out plan and a healthy diet.

I'm turning 18 in December and in my family, the women on my dad's side, (Which I got most of my traits from) May be a bit thick when in highschool but lose most of it when they turn 18,19, or 20. So I'm hoping that will also help speed up the process.

Offline Papa Fox

• Oni
« Reply #830 on: July 05, 2014, 12:08:26 pm »
@BrokenPsyche:
If you have not already, add Burpees to your work out. They kick my but for a while but I notice significant improvement in stamina especially during runs. Also the contracting motion just before the jump adds burn to the common trouble area at the lower abdomen and your legs will get it for sure. Before running the zombie 5k at Onalaska I added Burpees to my workout and did less running because I suffered a foot injury two weeks before the event. It was murder, but Burpees kept me in the game and I successfully completed the run, I mean the zombies got me but I got still got through it with good time and it was a blast.
If you have not heard of Burpees before, it is easy to learn. Drop to a crouch then shoot your legs back for a push up position. Do a push up, and spring back to that crouch. Now jump straight up and repeat until you feel like jello. Ten reps is usually enough if you add something else between sets to cool down (some people add them to their run, I would rather not). If this does not quickly tone your target areas it will at the very least add stamina for other workouts.
Also here is a Youtube link of how to do it if my description falls short.      watch?v=Pf7wZvraWV0

izamor

« Reply #831 on: July 10, 2014, 01:27:45 am »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:33:04 pm by izamor »

Offline BrokenPsyche

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #832 on: July 10, 2014, 01:39:29 am »
I start on the treadmill and "speed walk" a mile and a half, so for about 30 minutes. Then weights. I only do light weights because I don't want to build muscle, I want to burn fat. Then I do the ellipticals for about 20 minutes. And every night before bed I do 150 sit ups.