Author Topic: Romance Anime?  (Read 6304 times)

Offline DeafWord

• Cabbit
Romance Anime?
« on: December 06, 2010, 01:54:43 am »
Hey, forum. I was just curious if there are any decent romantic animes, or animes with strong romance sub-plots, that isn't a bunch of moeblob. I really liked the romance bit in Tales from Earthsea, as a reference, but any reccomendations would be nice (Oh, no yaoi please :c)
This is a signature

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
Re: Romance Anime?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:17:17 am »
Hey, forum. I was just curious if there are any decent romantic animes, or animes with strong romance sub-plots, that isn't a bunch of moeblob. I really liked the romance bit in Tales from Earthsea, as a reference, but any reccomendations would be nice (Oh, no yaoi please :c)
I liked School Days enough to where I decided to buy a phone strap related to it. You might like it. Peach Girl is another one but the animation style bothers me too much. To me it's almost as ugly as Reign: The Conqueror. Green Green is H half the time but it's a bit random. Tokimeki Memorial is cute to say the least.

I'm sure I have a ton of others but I just don't have the time or attention span to sit through them all. x_X
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 08:04:11 am »
School Days

I love the hell out of School Days as well but just as a warning it goes downhill fast. Like, it's really good but it's not one of those ones that is going to leave a happy mark on you, haha. AGAIN JUST A WARNING, I'm not saying anything else about it.

Some of my favorites...

Paradise Kiss- It's about some kids that go to a Fashion school and some high strung girl that becomes their model for a runway show. I know that doesn't sound terribly exciting but the animation is really good and the character relationships are interesting. I bawled for an entire episode.

Honey and Clover- I never watched the entire thing (I need to get on it), but the first half was pretty funny and adorable. Bunch of kids that go to an art school, love triangles galore.

Kimi ni Todoke- My best friend is obsessed with this. I watched about half the episodes and it's really cute. Socially introverted girl that gets made fun of for looking scary all the time starts falling for this kinda popular guy. She makes some cool friends that try to hook them up. Also adorable.

Clannad- Art style is "UGUU KAWAII DESU LOOK AT MY EYES" but oh god....oh god ;A;

Kuragehime- It's still being released but it's one of the few romance anime that I'm most defiantly going to be following the manga afterward. Group of girl otaku's live in a house together and can't function socially and hate men, que in crossdressing male who tries to break them out of their shell and save their apartment from getting tore down, lovey feelings ensue. It's really hilarious and my favorite this season

That's all I got though. I kinda usually hate romantic anime, I'm more of an artsy/obscure/psychological thriller type of person. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:07:05 am by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:45:07 am »
I love the hell out of School Days as well but just as a warning it goes downhill fast. Like, it's really good but it's not one of those ones that is going to leave a happy mark on you, haha. AGAIN JUST A WARNING, I'm not saying anything else about it.
I'm a few episodes into it but don't intend to watch the last one. I have a good clue what's going to happen already. :/
Paradise Kiss- It's about some kids that go to a Fashion school and some high strung girl that becomes their model for a runway show. I know that doesn't sound terribly exciting
Are you kidding? That's a gold mine. Haha. <3
Clannad- Art style is "UGUU KAWAII DESU LOOK AT MY EYES" but oh god....oh god ;A;
I refuse to watch this. :/
Kuragehime
Currently looking for EP2.
I kinda usually hate romantic anime, I'm more of an artsy/obscure/psychological thriller type of person.
Mhm. Is that why we won't put Kare-Kano on this list? I think it is. :3

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:44:57 am »
@DaemonForce

Oh man, the last episode is the best though. It's f***** up on so many levels. Maybe by the time you get to 11 (or 12? I forget if it's 12 or 13 episodes) you'll be jonesing to see the last one. Such a good series though. I want to play the visual novels but School Day's is the only one translated. I'd love to try out Summer Days.

And Kare Kano was ok, it just didn't leave a huge impression on me.

Oh, another one to check out Deafwood is Lovely Complex. So hnnnngh~

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:58:57 am »
I want to play the visual novels but School Day's is the only one translated.
I don't have that problem. Coincidentally these visual novels are the reason why. :/

I've heard nothing but good things about Lovely Complex. If anything that's probably the one to see.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:12:07 am »
^ Agreed.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:24:02 am »
There are probably much better examples I'm not remembering, but here are a dozen that haven't been mentioned or done justice:
  • Nodame Cantabile (Misfit romance between two classical music students. You don't have to love classical music to enjoy the anime, but there's lots extra to appreciate if you do.)
  • Toradora (The ending is kindofa letdown, but it's a good combination of tsundere romance and comedy. I know tsundere is overdone, but it doesn't hurt this one too badly.)
  • Crest/Banner of the Stars (Scifi, but it sneaks in a lot of romance.)
  • School Rumble (Mainly a comedy of how the characters are too inept at romance to get anywhere, but really funny. Some fanservice, but fortunately it's mostly limited to the ED.)
  • Itazura na Kiss (Completely romance - the first season is so-so, but the second season shines. A rare example of a tsundere guy.)
  • Kashimashi (Surprisingly-deft yuri romance if you can get past the slightly-eyeroll-inducing first 1/3 of it. The artwork is a bit too moe, but moe isn't a theme.)
  • Kare Kano (When you start wondering "Wait... what the @#$& is this? And where's the engaging, funny romance I was watching?", please stop watching before it gets worse. The last 1/4 of the anime loses most of its charm, due to a nasty fight between the author and the directors. If you want to know what happens next, read the manga - the anime isn't allowed to resolve anything anyway.)
  • Maison Ikkoku (From the 80s and shows it, but it's a heartwarming romance. Too much reliance on Misunderstanding Of The Week, though.)
  • Love Hina (Slapstick humor, sappy romance, but it has too much fanservice for its own good.)
  • NANA (Not romance as much as it is a study of the ways relationships get messed up. But it's not nearly as bad as either School Days or Kimi Nozo in this regard.)
  • Hana Kimi (Sappy, goofy shoujo romance.)
  • Mahoraba (No coherent plot, but it's a sweet romance.)

Also, I have to echo Kimi ni Todoke, Peach Girl, and Kuragehime. The others I'm either unfamiliar with, or wouldn't recommend (IMO, Green Green is only somewhat more romantic than the average hentai).
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »
Hana Kimi (Sappy, goofy shoujo romance.)
I actually managed to find this series last month during Aki con and I was sitting in the manga library reading it nonstop(until I got sick-_-'). I can't imagine this being a full frame animation but I'll look for it. God that's more addicting than Futari H. O_o'
IMO, Green Green is only somewhat more romantic than the average hentai).
All the more reason I could sit through the first half. :D

I remember during this year's AX they were really pushing Vampire Knight. That's a little too much for me and too soon what with all the sparkly vampires we have these days. O_o

I have nothing more to say since most of everything else I have is more action than romance(FateStay Night) or just H and comedy. :-\

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 12:17:48 pm »
Mahoraba

We talkin' Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~? Like girl with multiple personality disorder that is a land lady? If so you are now my favorite person ever because no one I ever talk to has seen (or heard of) that show ;A;

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 05:22:52 pm »
  • Maison Ikkoku (From the 80s and shows it, but it's a heartwarming romance. Too much reliance on Misunderstanding Of The Week, though.)
... a lot like some of Rumiko Takahashi's other great animes, such as Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha.

Whisper of the Heart is another great one to go with; it's a movie.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 06:15:55 am »
Hana Kimi (Sappy, goofy shoujo romance.)
I actually managed to find this series last month during Aki con and I was sitting in the manga library reading it nonstop(until I got sick-_-'). I can't imagine this being a full frame animation but I'll look for it. God that's more addicting than Futari H. O_o'

Good grief, have I got good news for you - I don't know of an anime, but look up the Hana Kimi live-action. I know, live-action usually fails big-time, but this one owns. They camp it up, and wind up with something that matches the feel of the manga pretty well. I'd even say they do it well enough to be an honorary anime.

♫ Peeee-each, oshiri ga hoshereba...

~

Mahoraba

We talkin' Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~? Like girl with multiple personality disorder that is a land lady? If so you are now my favorite person ever because no one I ever talk to has seen (or heard of) that show ;A;

That's the one, and ditto. :) If you liked that one, you'll probably love Maison Ikkoku... at the very least, Mahoraba borrows a lot of elements from Maison Ikkoku, and I think you could make a case that most of the series is a full-fledged homage. MI does rely way too much on Misunderstanding of the Week, but it's really heartwarming.

♫ ...datte yakusoku yo?

~

... a lot like some of Rumiko Takahashi's other great animes, such as Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha.

Yup. I love her, but Takahashi-sensei has too much in common with Shari Lewis.  ;)

♫ Some people staaarted watchin' it not knowin' what it was, and they'll continue watchin' it forever just because...
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 10:18:41 am »
^ You mean in age...? :D

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 04:52:23 pm »
^ The link provided (and the slightly-modified lyric) was meant to be worth a thousand words. Substitute "show" for "song" and "watch" for "sing", and you have Takahashi's worst fault in a nutshell. :)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 11:12:33 am »
I didn't even go to the link; I think something is wrong with my speakers, so I don't even bother to listen to files anymore.  (It makes watching anime a pain...)

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 09:13:48 pm »
I recommend "Kimi ni Todoke" over "School Days", any day. I refuse to mistake angst for romance.

"Kare Kano" is licensed as "His and Her Circumstances" in the US.

Vandread has a kind of romance to it. Mostly it's sci-fi shounen, but...well people fall in love in it.

Urusei Yatsura Those Crazy Aliens, was a mainstream comedy, but was based on a "marriage" between an earth male high school student and an Oni princess from another planet.

Kanon, it's very like Clannad, but up north. Both are wonderful anime.

Karin, known as Chibi Vampire in the manga. Comedy but a romantic comedy. Ask Superjaz about it, and why she is in the manga.

You could call Chobits a romance. Love it.

Midori Days, another romantic comedy.

Then you have Voices From a Distant Star, and the Place Promised in Our Early Days. Beautiful excellently done anime. Yeah, they're masterpieces.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline Banshee

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 07:25:41 pm »
One of my favorite anime is 'The Story of Saiunkoku'.  It has romance, comedy, political intrigue, great art, nice music, and a good plot.  At least I think so.  It takes place in a different world that looks a lot like ancient China with an Emperor, the royal court, and noblemen.  It can be a little slow in places, but there is action, and while romance isn't the main point of the series it is one of the driving point between the main characters.

Anther one I haven't seen mentioned is Ai Yori Aoshi.  It's a romantic comedy, and while it has a kind of a harem thing going, along with a fair arount of fan service, the main characters really are cute together. 

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 10:21:12 pm »
I recommend "Kimi ni Todoke" over "School Days", any day. I refuse to mistake angst for romance.

"Kare Kano" is licensed as "His and Her Circumstances" in the US.

Vandread has a kind of romance to it. Mostly it's sci-fi shounen, but...well people fall in love in it.

Urusei Yatsura Those Crazy Aliens, was a mainstream comedy, but was based on a "marriage" between an earth male high school student and an Oni princess from another planet.

Kanon, it's very like Clannad, but up north. Both are wonderful anime.

Karin, known as Chibi Vampire in the manga. Comedy but a romantic comedy. Ask Superjaz about it, and why she is in the manga.

You could call Chobits a romance. Love it.

Midori Days, another romantic comedy.

Then you have Voices From a Distant Star, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Beautiful excellently done anime. Yeah, they're masterpieces.

One of my favorite anime is 'The Story of Saiunkoku'.  It has romance, comedy, political intrigue, great art, nice music, and a good plot.  At least I think so.  It takes place in a different world that looks a lot like ancient China with an Emperor, the royal court, and noblemen.  It can be a little slow in places, but there is action, and while romance isn't the main point of the series it is one of the driving point between the main characters.

Anther one I haven't seen mentioned is Ai Yori Aoshi.  It's a romantic comedy, and while it has a kind of a harem thing going, along with a fair arount of fan service, the main characters really are cute together.  

I agree with both of you.

I will recommend Skip Beat.  This is mainly about a girl who gets dumped by her boyfriend and decides to get revenge by becoming a more popular pop idol than he is.  She also ends up falling in love with a better person as the show progresses.  A great comedy, romance.  I highly recommend it.

I also liked Ginban Kaleidoscope.  An anime about a female figure skater who gets possessed by the ghost of a male stunt pilot.  Sort of like the movie Ghost.  A tragic romance comedy since the guy she falls in love with is, of course, the ghost who is possessing her.

No one mentioned Ah My Goddess yet.  The romance of a college boy and a goddess.  It is mostly a comedy, a bit of harem, although Belldandy is the only girl he loves.

Millennium Actress - This movie is all about unrequited love.  By the late Satoshi Kon, we will miss you.   :'(

Amagami SS - This anime is based off of a dating sim and plays out like one.  Each of the possible girls Tachibana, the main protagonist, can be with has a four episode story arc.  This anime is all about romance,  The best part is, that no matter which girl the viewer likes, there is a story arc that has him with her.   :D

Lovely Complex - This one is just plain fun.  A romance between two students who are so alike in attitude, but different in everything else.  She is tall, very tall, and very self conscious of it.  She wishes she was short and cute like most of her classmates and friends.  He is short, very short, and wishes he was tall like most of the other boys.  The two hate each other, because each has what the other desires.  Of course they are always arguing and fighting, and of course they find themselves liking one another.

As Jaybug stated His and Her Circumstances aka Kare Kano - This story is fun to watch, but I often think the VA musty have gotten hoarse.  She narrates constantly.  Similar to Lovely Complex in that the main characters start out not liking one another and then slowly begin to fall in love.  

Special A - I think of Host Club when I watch this one.  The girl has one desire, to beat the boy in anything.  Problem is, she never does.  The boy has one desire, to have the girl realize that he likes her.  They are totally hopeless.  ::)

Cross Game - I put this here as an overall example of a great anime story that happens to be about baseball.  The real story has nothing to do with baseball though.  If you like romances, you may enjoy this show.  It is definitely a soap opera.  One of my all time favorite anime.

That should get you started.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:25:02 am by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 10:23:22 pm »
I really really like spice and wolf and eureka 7!