Author Topic: O_o What is wrong with the dub of Yugioh...?  (Read 13695 times)

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
    • http://takmai.deviantart.com
O_o What is wrong with the dub of Yugioh...?
« on: May 15, 2004, 09:16:01 pm »
Why can't we have nice accurate subtitles with our DVD?  If I thought I hated dubbing companies before...::twitch::  ANYWAY.  Come complain with me, because that show makes me convulse and sob.

...The missing season.  I want it muchly.  Does anyone know of a good fansub of it?

There are some classic things in the dub of Yugioh that especially make me giggle.  Like the name "Duke Develin"  It just fits up there with Lenny, Morty, and Hollywood Mew Mew (Are they actually going to call it that? Ick)
And the name mix up.  Erm...Ryou is now Bakura and Bakura is now...The Spirit of the Millenium Ring...ooooo.  ::gasp::
It doesn't matter whether you win or squelch, but how you play the tuba.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 09:40:10 pm »
I haven't actually seen the first season(the missing season) of Yu-Gi-Oh!, but I've read and written enough fanfiction to know WHY WB didn't air it.

The show wasn't aimed at younger children until the second season.  Yami was actually an evil spirit the first season, and liked setting random people on fire it seems. ^.^;

Kinda hard to dissmiss that with a bad dubb. ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 09:51:52 pm »
That's my main defense when people say I'm stupid for liking Yugioh... I mean who could hate the first season?  It was teh win.  XD  I've seen bits and pieces of the all powerful missing season.  Its kinda disturbing how much taller he gets in the anime...I didn't notice his shortness so much in the manga.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Re: O_o What is wrong with the dub of Yugioh...?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 10:03:19 pm »
Quote from: "Takmai"
It just fits up there with Lenny, Morty, and Hollywood Mew Mew (Are they actually going to call it that? Ick)

I found an article or something that explained the reason for calling it "Hollywood Mew Mew."  Whoever is licensing it/showing it said (their words, not mine) that the show is directed more toward little kids and that kids who watch it don't realize it takes place in Japan or even another country.  So they gave it some place name they thought kids could be familiar with.
But still... Hollywood?! @_@  I get the feeling they'll slaughter it in the dub.
And I don't mean to be advertising here, but this site has been very helpful with Anime news for me: http://www.lelola.net/news.shtml

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 11:27:20 pm »
I do have to agree... I don't like Yu-Gi-Oh myself... but it does have a horrible dub. Not only the cutting of scenes and everything, but the names... and the voices. It ranks right up there with Inu Yasha.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 11:40:01 pm »
The Yu-Gi-Oh dub makes me cry.

I haven't been able to find a single place with the subtitled version, and I have no cash to search E-Bay...

I've read the manga, though, and it's definately WAY different from the Yu-Gi-Oh I've seen. Is it (the one Shonen Jump has) closer to the Japanese version in any way?

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 12:10:32 am »
I wouldn't know about the manga to series transition, the manga and the series usually differentate (Rurouni Kenshin, even properly translated, is a prime example), so it may not be only the translation that causes the difference between series and manga.

The other problem is that Shoenen Jump isn't notorious for their acurate translation skills either. ^.^; (Sensei and master do NOT mean the same thing! >.< )

So, you're pretty much on your own, or roping in a bilingual friend, on trying to decide how the story REALLY goes. ^.^;

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 03:42:13 am »
why if you put some cards in his hand does he have instant puberity?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 05:34:15 pm »
I just remembered there were some flashback scenes that showed the early episodes.  I think it was when Joey and Yugi met (sorry, only know the English names) and there was a bully.  They changed what happened to the bully in the dubbed anime and said he was expelled or suspended.  Wasn't the bully burned alive in the manga?

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 07:42:19 pm »
There's something more satisfying with the burning alive...
~Sean Larson~

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 01:46:35 am »
Where did they come up with those crazy dub names anyway? I mean, come on.. Téa Gardner from Mizaki Anzu? O__o;

Another thing, what's up with Honda's hair? It looks like you could impale someone on it. 8O

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 09:09:18 am »
Anime ia all about the crazy hair. Trowa Barton from gundam wing, it was like a big gutter scooper.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 11:57:12 am »
i think he could of killed someone with that hair

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 12:02:09 pm »
Wait, you mean he DIDN'T kill anyone with that hair!? O.o

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 03:39:38 pm »
My theory on the names (when they dub it horribly) is it has to have a similar number of syllables so as to go along with the mouth, otherwise you have the old Godzilla movie voice affect.
What about that guy on Shaman King?  Y'know, the one with the partial Elvis look?  That thing practically defies gravity.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 03:58:05 pm »
The cosplayers of those characters always amaze me with their genius.  Or lack of, considering some wigs. ^.^;

Offline oniryuu

• Oni
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004, 05:11:24 pm »
no kidding, some of the ones i saw were really good.
i'm trying to get my own yugi costume together but i'm stuck on the hair (reason i didn't use it at sakuracon :oops:  :oops: )

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2004, 09:56:29 pm »
Hey, I *like* the name Duke Devlin!

And I think "Honda" and "Tristan" are equally stupid names. *g*

4Kids is /strange/*. I *LOVE* the Pokémon dub, but some of their others...

*how strange? In Pokémon 4, they changed the colors of the banners around rocks in the forest, yet retain the implication that the villian had slaughtered someone. THAT'S strange.

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 01:57:25 am »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"
Hey, I *like* the name Duke Devlin!

And I think "Honda" and "Tristan" are equally stupid names. *g*

4Kids is /strange/*. I *LOVE* the Pokémon dub, but some of their others...

*how strange? In Pokémon 4, they changed the colors of the banners around rocks in the forest, yet retain the implication that the villian had slaughtered someone. THAT'S strange.
Wow. That IS strange.

The Pokemon dub has some appreciation from me - they totally kill nearly every Anime they touch, but if it wasn't for Pokemon, I wouldn't be here, paying up to go to KumoriCon. And the voice-acting on Pokemon isn't totally terrible, compared to some - like the dub of Slayers. (Lisa Ortiz was rather good, but having watched Pokemon before the dub of Slayers, Gourry seemed FAR too much like Brock...)

And quite a few dub names DON'T really have the same amount of syllables... Nearly everyone's dub name in Digimon isn't very similar to their Japanese name.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 07:47:52 am »
Remember, don't blame a good voice actor/actress for a bad translation.  They still have to say the lines, even if they are horrible. >.<

Didn't Picachu die in a flashback to the future in one of the Pokemon movies? ^.^?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2004, 11:02:14 am »
Uh, no. But Celebi died (and then it came back, stupid writers), but Latios stayed dead (whoo-hoo!)

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2004, 12:21:38 pm »
i dont blame the voice actors i blame the people who put them on the char

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 01:34:03 pm »
I'd *love* to be a VA.

...and oddly enough, since I most want to work for Pokémon, that means I'd be working for 4Kids...

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 05:19:51 pm »
I liked Yu Gi Oh, sadly it became too much of a chore to follow the storyline, I'm all into that whole mysterious egyptian gods thing, not the actual card game ^_^
~Sean Larson~

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2004, 06:45:32 pm »
Sounds lime my friend. The whole egyptian thing is what she likes. It's pretty interesting, since I am willing to listen to her talk about it, but the cards... and the dueling thing... and the voices... I can't take it! And in her words, I am a "closet Yu-Gi-oh fan"... U^-^U;;

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2004, 07:39:21 pm »
Does everyone remember the "tournament" with Noah and the Big Five (Japanese names, don't know'em)?  I could not stand the number of times the B5 kept saying "I'll leave this place and take over your body."  Yes, we heard you the first several dozen times!!!!!!  Honestly, they said that phrase at least three times in between commercials for every episode practically.  I was so happy when that subplot was over with.
For those of you old enough, you could make that a part of some Anime drinking game.  (I don't know why, but that just came to mind)

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2004, 08:21:31 pm »
heh, there are numerous anime drinking games, though, the most deadly I've come across is the Slayers drinking game, adaptable for all 3 seasons.  You can't really make it through 1 episode.
~Sean Larson~

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2004, 09:00:12 pm »
I tried to make a Digimon drinking game once, back during the second season.

Then I tried to play it. Let me tell you that "Drink once every time Oikawa mentions Hiroki" rule was a KILLER!

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2004, 12:47:57 pm »
I tried to make a Digimon drinking game once, back during the second season.

Then I tried to play it. Let me tell you that "Drink once every time Oikawa mentions Hiroki" rule was a KILLER!
Oh, lordy.

I don't doubt that a bit. 8O

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2004, 01:40:39 pm »
Take a drink every time I quote Jin-Roh.

You'll never be sober again.

^.^;

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2004, 12:01:01 am »
The problem with the  Dubbed version of YUGIOH is that they changed the story way too much!  The voices are okay tho....

Offline Ayasima_Vexic

• Cabbit
    • http://
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2004, 03:12:27 pm »
HOLLYWOOD MEW MEW??? WTF! *KILLS THOSE BAAAASTARDS!*
~*~ Åÿå§ímà \/èxïç ~*~

Offline FateRuins

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/5926685
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2004, 01:45:26 pm »
HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHA!
I thought the SAME thing, The dub scares me!
His voice doesn't fit with his body....

x_x it's creepy...

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2004, 03:00:34 am »
And as far as the dub voiceacting goes, I'd have to say I quite like the voices. They've all got a good sense of drama, and while there IS a bit of overacting at times, what can you do?

I especially like Yami's voice, though I have to wonder why when Yami thinks it's in Yuugi's voice... O_o; Seto's was pretty well-done too, now that I think of it -- even though he IS Brock...

The only people I have real nitpicks with is Pegasus' (ARGH! If I had that voice, I'd so off myself), and..uh... Tea's. It's just ... ew. But then, so's her whole character... "friendship, friendship, blah blah blah" just doesn't cut it for me.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2004, 01:03:36 pm »
I *like* Pegasus' voice. It suits him very nicely, I think.

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2004, 06:29:06 pm »
I *like* Pegasus' voice. It suits him very nicely, I think.
Well, yes, but it's so *annoying*...

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2004, 12:27:30 pm »
The queition here is not what is wrong with the Yugioh dub, but what is wrong with Yugioh and its fans.

An anime with the sole purpose of selling cards to 9 year old boys.

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2004, 05:54:24 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
The queition here is not what is wrong with the Yugioh dub, but what is wrong with Yugioh and its fans.

An anime with the sole purpose of selling cards to 9 year old boys.
Wrong.

It has a great plot, too. Otherwise I certainly wouldn't have gotten into it. All the Egyptian tie-ins are really cool...

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2004, 07:54:22 pm »
I saw about about 15 episodes of that show. I guess it be considered an interesting plot if your recovering from a labotomy and are on a massive amount of pain killer.

It has to have some sort of plot. all be it one that appeals to 9 year old boys. Like the way that TMNT had a plot.

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2004, 08:29:20 pm »
Please don't insult something unless you understand it.  It just leaves people wondering about your maturaty.  Its like the huge groups of Sailor Moon haters.  Hey, I used to hate it, but I didn't insult people or anything.  But, then I watched it in Japanese and was like, "...Oh...That's a bit different."

Its the same with Yugioh.  I hated it with a passion.  Then I saw the first season, which covered almost any game you can think of.  Playing card games.. roleplaying.. this freaky version of russian rullet XD.  It had more puzzles that you could attempt to solve yourself.  I still hate the cards, but I put up with it for the characters that slowly grew on me.

Lastly Yugioh isn't really a show for little kids.  Jonouchi is a complete pervert.  And I believe in the dub they had that little baby... That baby was a pervert too.  And the amount of people that die... It gets kinda ridiculous after a while.  I couldn't believe it. XD

tetris

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2004, 08:53:06 pm »
Often times the american tv release and the original japanese are much different.
I hated Card Captor Sakura until I saw the uncut Japanese release of it.

but then again guest has a point as well. Even in the uncut version, under the monsters and a few deaths it is jus about people playing a card game. so people will go OOH! I want that card. and buy pack after pack until they get it.

hmmm.....guess im sitting on the fence with this arguement.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2004, 09:09:06 pm »
I donno--I watch it and feel no urge to play the card game at all.

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2004, 09:41:12 pm »
XD That card game drives me nuts.  I will never understand why Yugioh had to switch to the card game.  Its boring.  And tedious.

Personally, I have this strong urge to write whoever makes those cards anymore.  XD Yes I want to write them, and make them send me a suitcase full of rare cards.  Then I will cosplay as a caracter, and pass them out to little kids.  Just for the reaction.  I mean.  Making little kids disturbingly happy is always fun.

Aaaanyway.  Yeah.  I have a few dvds of Cardcaptor Sakura.  I love how cute the Japanese version is.  It makes me squeal a lot.  I haven't seen very much, though.

I personally don't care who hates Yugioh.  I just have a problem with people who insult others over their preferences of entertainment.  Its frustrating.  In real life I won't even admit I'm a fan to half the shows I watch just because I don't like giving people a reason to insult me.  And I get tired of trying to explain to people, why its not nice.

Alex

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2004, 04:42:42 pm »
CCS gets pretty wierd. There all about 12 years old and almost none of them are straight. Its a fun show.

Offline FateRuins

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/5926685
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2004, 05:06:49 am »
I think it was the "Yami" Yugio that just had a bad american dub voice...
My boyfriend likes the card game and he used to watch it a couple years ago, and even he thinks the american dub is just awful.

At least everyone gets something out of it though, even though I think it's horrible, I watch it because the voice just doesn't seem to fit right.