Author Topic: ~Mewcon Panel~ CLUE: anime edition (time for panel posted! first post!)  (Read 25727 times)

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
YES! it's CLUE anime style! kind of like Cosplay chess, except better! XD jk :P
or am i? muahahaah!
okay! let's get serious!

*2nd update* look below

1st update* look below

Objective: Well if you've played Clue you would know that there are 6 people and they are trying to find out who murdered Mr.Boddy (or L in this game), in which room, with what weapon.

Who can participate: anyone! In the audience, we will choose 6 people, then let them leave the room while the left over audience picks the scenario. After that, we will let them back in and tell them they have props, places, and people and now they must find the murderer, the weapon, and the scene of the crime.

Time: not sure how long this will run. hopefully about 3 hours cuz i know one of these games can last about 30min-1 hour (depending on how serious ppl are lol) and besides, if it's longer than 1hour, we can have more than one game, so then more people can participate, rather than watch, but hey! if you like to watch, that's cool too :)

weapons: (*if someone in the room has a prop that isn't listed and would like to use it as the prop they may do so*)
-Winry's wrench
-Russia's Lead Pipe
-Glomped/Trampled by Fangirls/Boys
-Yaoi Paddle
-Poison Shroom
-Keyblade

Suspects: (*those who are in cosplay, can choose their character as the suspect if they like*)
-Congoer
-Sephiroth
-Wario
-Lust
-Chibitalia
-Faye (just wanted more women pieces)

Locations
-Mewcon
-Maid Cafe
-Mushroom Kingdom
-Cyber Universe
-Arcade
-Traverse Town
-Classroom
-Shinjuku
-Tokyo Tower

Please guys! let me know what you think! If you would like to help with getting the props, or have other prop suggestions, or characters, or places please let me know!
my email is amaixyasai@gmail.com thanks!

UPDATE! 1

so here are some of the general rules and stuff so people can start reading them now before the game at con. to get ready i guess :)

SETUP: (taken from the game) At the beginning of play, three cards — one suspect, one weapon, and one [world] card — are chosen at random and put into a special envelope, so that no one can see them (only the audience and host). These cards represent the facts of the case. The remainder of the cards are distributed among the players. (while the audience picks the murder scene, the 6 players will be taken out of the room.)

Now for ours, suspects and weapon cards will be provided, BUT if players would like to use their own cosplays and/or weapons, they may do so! Their character, and/or weapon will be put into the deck (but of course, we'll take out however many is put into the main deck ex: a chii cosplayer wants to join, one of the prechosen suspects will be taken out of the deck)

who starts first:Lust (red spot) rolls first then goes clockwise. (if there is no Lust piece, then we will pick someone to represent that Red spot)

Teleporting start: All players will start out in their assigned spots. All players can choose to move to ONE world nearest them when they first start. After their first turn, they must roll THE die and move to that world. You have the option of rolling the die again, but you MUST stick with the outcome. You can only "solve a case", if you have visited all worlds.

Rooms and Teleporting: If someone is in the room you need to teleport to, you MUST teleport to the nearest world of the Host's choosing (you may ask for a room of your choice). UNLESS you think you have SOLVED THE MURDER! If you believe you solved the mystery you can teleport there (along with the weapon in hand, and the murderer) even IF there is someone there. IF you have it WRONG you are dead.(your gummi ship died and you must now retire).

the Point: The aim is to deduce the details of the murder; that is, the cards in the envelope. In the course of determining the details of the murder, players announce suggestions (or Claims in this game) to the other players, for example, "I Claim it was the Congoer, in the Cyber Universe, with the yaoi paddle." All elements contained in the claim are moved into that world (but we may not do this until the actual accusation aka Case cuz it will take up time. we will see.).

The other players must then disprove the Claim, if they can. This is done in clockwise order around the board. A Claim is disproved by showing a card containing one of the Claim's components (for example, the Congoer) to the player making the suggestion, as this proves that the card cannot be in the envelope. Showing the card to the claiming player is done in secret so the other players may not see which card is being used to disprove the Claim. Once that has been disproved, the player's turn ends and moves on to the next player.

The player's Claim can only get disproved once.  So, though several players may hold cards disproving the Claim, only the first one will show the suggesting player his or her card. A player may only make a Claim when he/she is in the world and the Claim can only be for that room.

Once a player has sufficiently narrowed the solution, that player can "State their Case". According to the rules, "When you think you have worked out which three cards are in the envelope, you may, on your turn, state your Case and name any three elements you want." Players may name any world (unlike a Claim, where a player must be in the world the he/she suggests). The Host/Keeper will then check the envelope and either say "Overruled!" or  "I find ___ guilty of murder by ___ in ___!" or "Denied!" or any statement we find to be entertainingly fitting! Like stated before, IF you have it WRONG you are dead. If you are right, well good for you, but it's too late to save L.

UPDATE! 2
the panel will happen on Sunday at 3:30pm-6:30pm! in panel room 1 & 2 combined!
*those of you who will help with setup please meet there at 3pm SHARP!* thanks!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:57:27 am by luvan1me »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: ~Mewcon Panel~ CLUE: anime edition
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:50:11 am »
My friend Lisa, who was one of our models for "Embody Your Fantasy" (Creation Station's 18+ body-painting panel at Orycon), is like the world's most amazing FMA Lust (I heard she's even in a calendar in cosplay of it). I will see if she's going (unless you're already in touch with her?)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline GinKyubiKitsune

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:25:28 am »
YES THE MURDERS CONTINUE!! lol so there will be a game of clue and the murder game playing at mewcon! now this will be fun!!
Kumoricon 2012 Cosplay

Kaizen Shade - Blood Jew'l - 50%
Dark Mousy - Dn Angel - 50%
Akefla - Yugioh - 75%

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 01:58:23 pm »
I'd recommend changing the poison shroom to something else, like, um... how about that giant boomerang thing that Sango carries?  You might also want to get rid of the glomping by fangirls/boys, simply because it's not really a weapon that can be used by a culprit.

BTW, who's gonna be "Mr. Boddy" in this game?  Oh, nevermind; I looked at the original post again.  You're planning on "L" for this...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 03:11:38 pm »
Hey, something else I was wondering... will you be having a board?

I know that I was thinking about it, should I do this for Kumoricon, so I was wondering about you, too.

I made a quick layout idea that I had for yours, in case you were thinking about it.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:29:02 pm »
So this is like an epic LARP? I have only ever played the really old board game.....never even the VHS version.....
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 04:43:20 pm »
@washougal: that's a great layout, but i'm doing something a bit different.
and i'm keeping the shroom. cuz i do want some gaming stuff in there. it is a broad con lol

and it's L only cuz i thought it was a funny joke.

the glomping is gonna stay, cuz someone CAN get killed by glomping. (trampled to death) so i think ima just change it to trampled to death by fangirls/boys lol

@rem: i would LOVE if she could be there. but i do want more ppl to participate, not just the characters i provide. those are just in case we have ppl that aren't cosplaying and want to participate :)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 08:28:45 pm »
@washougal: that's a great layout, but i'm doing something a bit different.

Okay then; just wondering.

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 08:48:14 pm »
thanks so much though :)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 08:53:32 pm »
thanks so much though :)

You're welcome!  If I even go to MEWcon, I'll try to make it to this event.  Clue is my favorite boardgame.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 09:31:57 pm »
Mewcon Panels person here   :)
So, are you wanting this to be all in one physical room, or were you thinking of this being more like a Live Action Role-Playing game in which people wander around the hotel? (just trying to work out where to put the game...). If it's a one-room thing, how big is the board? Is it a table top board or something that people will walk on? We may have to allow some setup time if it's huge since you may have several pieces to lay out and all that. If you didn't put down setup time on your panel form, please email panels@mewcon.com and tell me the details   

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 10:21:38 pm »
@washougal: sweet :) hope you can ^_^ it's my favorite game too other than LIFE XD

@Runa: oh no! i forgot that part D: thanks!
yes it's gonna be paper on the floor lol and just small props to move (as the weapons) so i would like some setup time.
i will also have a smaller board with me to keep track of what's going on.

i'll message you right now! :)

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 10:32:13 pm »
I'm pretty sure I'm going to Mew, so I can help.
Though, I'd mainly just like to be one of the suspects ^^
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 10:44:27 pm »
lol i meant like for setting up and breaking down lol and of course you can participate :P

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 11:04:40 pm »
Yeah, I know, and I can probably help.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 11:11:15 pm »
sweet :)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 06:45:33 pm »
Clue? Awesome. :) I'm planning on doing a Professor Plum cosplay sometime in the next year. Don't think I'll make it to MEW Con (nor have the costume done by then), but if it becomes a possibility, I'll be sure to attend this panel. I love Clue, as you probably figured out.

I have one big suggestion for the game, though: ditch the tile-by-tile movement and, if you're using them, also the dice.

The dice and movement squares are arguably the least important part of Clue. And when a regular board is not available, they generally serve to hamper things greatly.  I have played Clue in a chat room before, and we simply allowed each player to move one room at a time, and had the rooms linked in a circle.

Linking rooms in a circle would work GREAT for a panel. If people are watching, the circle of "rooms" could simply go around the audience. That way they'd have plenty to look at.  Here's an example layout:

Mewcon <--> Traverse Town <--> Mushroom Kingdom <--> Cyber Universe <--> Shinjuku <--> Maid Cafe <--> Arcade <--> Tokyo Tower <--> Classroom <--> Mewcon (loops around to the start)

Of course, if it's a big enough room, you'd have to have several wandering microphone-carriers to bring to the players.

I strongly suggest leaving the suspects open-ended.  Let people role-play their characters on the fly, like the dating game. Have interesting things happen to parallel the gameplay -- like for instance, if someone makes a final accusation and gets it wrong, someone cosplaying a crime-fighting character (like Detective Conan) comes and "arrests" the player.

There's no reason murder weapons can't be open-ended, too.  Just ask audience members to bring props with them. The ones selected to be participants can supply their props as "murder weapons," and if there aren't enough, just ask the audience if anyone can contribute a prop. Make sure they understand that their prop will be in use until the end of the game.

I have been playing this game since I was a little kid (over 20 years, egad >_< ) and I still love it, so if you need any help whatsoever, I would be happy to provide it. I really like your idea; I was considering trying to do a Clue panel of some sort but wasn't sure whether to make it like the board game or what. If yours goes well, I'd like to try something similar at Sakura or Kumori Con, unless of course you already have dibs. :)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 07:05:01 pm »
You're making this sound so fun!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 07:17:31 pm »
Oh!  I'd like to use this opportunity to shamelessly plug a related forum topic.

At Sakura Con and Kumori Con I want to put together a Clue cosplay group. Of course, there's nothing keeping that group from extending to MEWcon, regardless of whether I'm there for it.

If you're interested, here's the thread!

Apollo Justice

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:35:01 pm »
@radien: thanks for the suggestions, but i have a layout. and i already ditched the blocks, and dice. it's gonna be something about "warping" from world to world. kinda got the idea from kingdom hearts. i'm using something like a dice, but it's more like randomly going to a room, it makes it more interesting. kinda like you have an amount of turns, and if someone is in that room already, you can't go there until they move out of there.

also i DID say that props and characters, and weapons were opened. if you read carefully :P

weapons: (*if someone in the room has a prop that isn't listed and would like to use it as the prop they may do so*)

Suspects: (*those who are in cosplay, can choose their character as the suspect if they like*)

the reason why i put those down is for those who AREN'T in cosplay, or have a weapon, can participate as well. or else it wouldn't be very fair for those who love CLUE and don't have a costume or a weapon. and it's less of a hassle as well, and having to ask around for weapons kinda takes up time. trust me. i've done a panel before, and asking the audience for "ideas" or "props" right then and there, takes up time. and this helps things go smoother. but if that person who is cosplaying someone and HAS a weapon with them, they may do both their character and weapon. and if you only have a cosplay but no weapon we have the murder weapons chosen so it makes it hassle free :) cuz we're already picking random people at the panel. this is not a pre-rehearsed game. the only things that will be 100% are the rules, the worlds, and the fun ^_^

and btw i'm HINTING this to ppl, i WILL think about bringing it to kcon :P but not this year, unless you want to help me with it, cuz i'm already doing the KH panel. i want to do this for kumoricon, but i need a test subject con first XD lol
i would love it if you could help me make the panels of the worlds :) i'm just going to get white paper, and draw the worlds on it :3 you wanna come over to my house one day and help me? XD
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:39:21 pm by luvan1me »

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 01:25:50 am »
@radien: thanks for the suggestions, but i have a layout. and i already ditched the blocks, and dice. it's gonna be something about "warping" from world to world. kinda got the idea from kingdom hearts. i'm using something like a dice, but it's more like randomly going to a room, it makes it more interesting. kinda like you have an amount of turns, and if someone is in that room already, you can't go there until they move out of there.

Ah, random movement? Truly random?... Wouldn't that take a lot of the choices away from players?

Hmmm... the "occupied room" idea is a new one I haven't heard of before. I'm not sure how that'd affect the game. I recommend trying to think of ways in which the rule might be abused before definitely deciding to run it that way. Perhaps you could rule that players MUST move each turn? That'd be a start.

Also, if there can be only one player in each room, I'm guessing that means you'd ditch the "teleport when someone suspects you" rule.

I'm sorry I missed some of your notes. I think I did see that you'd be allowing improvised suspects, but the set list of concrete suspects threw me off.  How would you be representing those set suspects?  Would they be players? Or would there be non-player cosplayers to represent the suspects, just for flavor?

Here's one idea: rather than have regular congoer players, why not have an assortment of hats and such for people to don when they play?  That'd make them easily identifiable from the other side of the room, and EVERYONE would be in "cosplay" of some sort. :) Some suggestions: a Mario and Luigi hat, cat ears (and/or other types of animal ears), various cute animal hats, Chobits ears, etc. etc.

EDIT:

I wanted to clarify something. When I say "room" I mean it in an abstract sense. Each location would act like a room, even though it's a different "world." By having different settings, yes, the game has a "dimension-hopping" theme that bends time and space in order to include whatever characters we like, a lot like the KH multiverse. :) I took it for granted that it would work that way, because I've done it before. That online chat Clue game I talked about?  It was a game that was run by an RPG group, who played it sometimes when the weekly RP session was canceled. People would pick their favorite personal characters, regardless of what game they were from, and mash them all together for an inter-setting game of clue.

(end edit)

the reason why i put those down is for those who AREN'T in cosplay, or have a weapon, can participate as well. or else it wouldn't be very fair for those who love CLUE and don't have a costume or a weapon. and it's less of a hassle as well, and having to ask around for weapons kinda takes up time. trust me. i've done a panel before, and asking the audience for "ideas" or "props" right then and there, takes up time. and this helps things go smoother. but if that person who is cosplaying someone and HAS a weapon with them, they may do both their character and weapon. and if you only have a cosplay but no weapon we have the murder weapons chosen so it makes it hassle free :) cuz we're already picking random people at the panel. this is not a pre-rehearsed game. the only things that will be 100% are the rules, the worlds, and the fun ^_^

I'm glad it's not rehearsed; it'll be more fun that way.  People have griped about scripted Cosplay Chess before, and Clue is nice because everyone can actually participate in the game rather than JUST act it out. :)

I understand prep takes a little time, but I imagine that having a good M.C./host would help a lot.  Having someone with a bold personality on the mike can really keep things rolling. (I am not one of those people, mind you. >.>; )

If game length is a big worry, just have fewer rooms and weapons! That's the easiest way to shorten it.  Shorter games will probably be more fun for an audience.

and btw i'm HINTING this to ppl, i WILL think about bringing it to kcon :P but not this year, unless you want to help me with it, cuz i'm already doing the KH panel. i want to do this for kumoricon, but i need a test subject con first XD lol
i would love it if you could help me make the panels of the worlds :) i'm just going to get white paper, and draw the worlds on it :3 you wanna come over to my house one day and help me? XD

Giving it a test run at a smaller con -- MEW -- sounds like a great idea. :)

I am not 100% sure I am going to Kumori Con yet, but I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can.  Haha, thanks for inviting me out of the blue like that... but meeting up somewhere might be difficult, as I live in Springfield.  If you live in Portland, like most K-con people these days, that's a 2 1/2 hour drive. And I am a poor college student who is currently carless. :(

So you're going to go with floor panels? Butcher paper, I presume?...  Hmmm. Why not hang them up on the walls or something, so everyone can see them?

I'm not the greatest artist, anyway, so you're not missing much... heh... ^_^;
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:56:05 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 03:21:02 am »
lol random as in the first few draws "out of the hat" will be random, and then after that you can teleport to whichever world you have gone to. if you have already gone to that world, then you may "roll the dice" lol or "draw from the hat" i kinda like the dice rolling for this atm. makes it much easier

so here's my idea for the "warping" and the general rules/gameplay.

Teleporting start: All players will start out in their assigned spots. All players can choose to move to ONE world nearest them when they first start. After their first turn, they must roll THE dice and move to that world. All worlds you have visited you may visit again. After you have visited more than 2 worlds, you may choose to roll THE dice to visit new worlds, or just teleport to another world.

Rooms and Teleporting: If someone is in the room you want to teleport to you may NOT teleport there, forcing you to either roll the dice, or teleporting elsewhere. UNLESS you think you have SOLVED THE MURDER! If you believe you solved the mystery you can teleport there even IF there is someone there. IF you have it WRONG you are dead.(your gummi ship died and you must now retire)

SETUP: (taken from the game) At the beginning of play, three cards — one suspect, one weapon, and one room card — are chosen at random and put into a special envelope, so that no one can see them (only the audience and host). These cards represent the facts of the case. The remainder of the cards are distributed among the players. (while the audience picks the murder scene, the 6 players will be taken out of the room.)

Now for ours, suspects and weapon cards will be provided, BUT if players would like to use their own cosplays and/or weapons, they may do so! Their character, and/or weapon will be put into the deck (but will of course, we'll  take out however many is put into the main deck ex: a chii cosplayer wants to join, one of the prechosen suspects will be taken out of the deck)

who starts first:Lust (red spot) rolls first then goes clockwise. (if there is no Lust piece, then we will pick someone to represent that Red spot)

the Point: The aim is to deduce the details of the murder; that is, the cards in the envelope. In the course of determining the details of the murder, players announce suggestions (or Claims in this game) to the other players, for example, "I Claim it was the Congoer, in the Cyber Universe, with the yaoi paddle." All elements contained in the suggestion are moved into the world in the Claim.

The other players must then disprove the Claim, if they can. This is done in clockwise order around the board. A Claim is disproved by showing a card containing one of the Claim's components (for example, the Congoer) to the player making the suggestion, as this proves that the card cannot be in the envelope. Showing the card to the claiming player is done in secret so the other players may not see which card is being used to disprove the Claim. Once that has been disproved, the player's turn ends and moves on to the next player.

The player's Claim can only get disproved once.  So, though several players may hold cards disproving the Claim, only the first one will show the suggesting player his or her card. A player may only make a Claim when his or her piece is in a room and the Claim can only be for that room.

Once a player has sufficiently narrowed the solution, that player can "State their Case". According to the rules, "When you think you have worked out which three cards are in the envelope, you may, on your turn, state your Case and name any three elements you want." Players may name any world (unlike a Claim, where a player's character pawn must be in the world the player suggests). The Host will then check the envelope and either say "Overruled!" or  "I find ___ guilty of murder by ___ in ___!" or "Denied!" or any statement we find to be entertainingly fitting! Like stated before, IF you have it WRONG you are dead. If you are right, well good for you, but it's too late to save L.

-end of rules-

so yea. those are just a few of the things i wanted to be there. i'm still thinking up ideas here, and of course more help is needed to improve these.
i'm quite the talkative person, but i need a loud mic or else i have NO voice... so yea.. i mean i may yell and everything but ppl find it easy to just undermind me that way, just cuz i'm short, a girl, and hispanic <_<

for the hat ideas i was actually trying to stay away from the icons, i actually originally had mario up there instead of wario, but i took it off cuz i thought wario is under played AND he's a "criminal" so to speak. and if you haven't noticed, most of these are "criminals". now! for those who can't cosplay, like u said, i will have a little sign for them to hang around their necks, with the picture of their character (that matches the ones on the cards that i'm making) so they, themselves, and the audience can see who they are. for those who are in cosplay, well, they already represent themselves by the way they look, but those in the audience who don't know who they are, it miiight cuz a problem, but we can figure that out when we get there.

yea i live in beaverton lol but hey! maybe you can make a few of them and i can make the others? lol so then they'd look unique? lol XD but meh! ima just ask my fiance, and my friends to help me :) even my sister, since she might not be able to go to mewcon. hopefully she can ;~;

yea ima be hanging them on the walls, but it might pose a problem with the locations of the worlds, BUT i think it'd be funnier if we put the worlds scattered around the audience. so that the audience is there "with them" and the people have to go through a "wormhole" to get to the other worlds lol just an idea in my mind. more fun that way anyways :) i'm thinking room set ups as i'm typing XD
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:22:23 am by luvan1me »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 10:32:36 am »
IF you have it WRONG you are dead.(your gummi ship died and you must now retire)

I like that; it keeps the game going should someone be wrong...

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
Re: ~Mewcon Panel~ CLUE: anime edition (update first post :)
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 06:00:35 pm »
yuup :) and in the original game, if you get it wrong, you do have to quit, and you may keep going until someone figures it out :3

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 05:13:52 am »
lol random as in the first few draws "out of the hat" will be random, and then after that you can teleport to whichever world you have gone to. if you have already gone to that world, then you may "roll the dice" lol or "draw from the hat" i kinda like the dice rolling for this atm. makes it much easier

so here's my idea for the "warping" and the general rules/gameplay.

Teleporting start: All players will start out in their assigned spots. All players can choose to move to ONE world nearest them when they first start. After their first turn, they must roll THE dice and move to that world. All worlds you have visited you may visit again. After you have visited more than 2 worlds, you may choose to roll THE dice to visit new worlds, or just teleport to another world.

Rooms and Teleporting: If someone is in the room you want to teleport to you may NOT teleport there, forcing you to either roll the dice, or teleporting elsewhere.

Hmmmm. I understand your idea about warping to new places, but how would you use the dice?
If you did it in a circle, you could roll a single die, 1-6, which would tell the player how many rooms they can move through.

Here's another suggestion: have the player draw two "rooms" from a hat, and pick one of the two. :) Occupied rooms would be redrawn before choosing.

UNLESS you think you have SOLVED THE MURDER! If you believe you solved the mystery you can teleport there even IF there is someone there. IF you have it WRONG you are dead.(your gummi ship died and you must now retire)

Totally makes sense, but why not put it this way:

"If you are absolutely certain you know the solution, you may make an accusation (state your case, whatever) at any time during your turn, EVEN after you have made a suggestion (claim, etc).

SETUP: (taken from the game) At the beginning of play, three cards — one suspect, one weapon, and one room card — are chosen at random and put into a special envelope, so that no one can see them (only the audience and host). These cards represent the facts of the case. The remainder of the cards are distributed among the players. (while the audience picks the murder scene, the 6 players will be taken out of the room.)

Sounds good. This part is just like Clue. :)  But a suggestion: you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to cards.  Any object that can identify a suspect/weapon/etc. and be kept secret can be used in place of "evidence" cards if you want to give it some flavor.

There is a small downside to a performance Clue game: as you know, cards/evidence must be kept secret until someone is forced to prove somebody else wrong.  This will make a performance version of the game a bit more cryptic since the audience won't know as much as the players.

Now for ours, suspects and weapon cards will be provided, BUT if players would like to use their own cosplays and/or weapons, they may do so! Their character, and/or weapon will be put into the deck (but will of course, we'll  take out however many is put into the main deck ex: a chii cosplayer wants to join, one of the prechosen suspects will be taken out of the deck)

Sounds good!  So it sounds like non-cosplaying players will basically act like "investigators" who are not also suspects.

the Point: The aim is to deduce the details of the murder; that is, the cards in the envelope. In the course of determining the details of the murder, players announce suggestions (or Claims in this game) to the other players, for example, "I Claim it was the Congoer, in the Cyber Universe, with the yaoi paddle." All elements contained in the suggestion are moved into the world in the Claim.

The player's Claim can only get disproved once.  So, though several players may hold cards disproving the Claim, only the first one will show the suggesting player his or her card. A player may only make a Claim when his or her piece is in a room and the Claim can only be for that room.

Once a player has sufficiently narrowed the solution, that player can "State their Case". According to the rules, "When you think you have worked out which three cards are in the envelope, you may, on your turn, state your Case and name any three elements you want." Players may name any world (unlike a Claim, where a player's character pawn must be in the world the player suggests). The Host will then check the envelope and either say "Overruled!" or  "I find ___ guilty of murder by ___ in ___!" or "Denied!" or any statement we find to be entertainingly fitting! Like stated before, IF you have it WRONG you are dead. If you are right, well good for you, but it's too late to save L.

-end of rules-

Okay, so from here on out it basically sounds like standard Clue rules.  Sounds good to me.

Why are you changing "Suggestion" to "Claim" and "Accusation" to "State their Case?"  I suppose one is as good as the other, but it just might confuse people who know Clue, maybe.

so yea. those are just a few of the things i wanted to be there. i'm still thinking up ideas here, and of course more help is needed to improve these.
i'm quite the talkative person, but i need a loud mic or else i have NO voice... so yea.. i mean i may yell and everything but ppl find it easy to just undermind me that way, just cuz i'm short, a girl, and hispanic <_<
Height and a big voice help, but what does being Hispanic have to do with it?...

The host should have a microphone regardless, though. :) Shouting to run a panel is teh suck, right?

for the hat ideas i was actually trying to stay away from the icons, i actually originally had mario up there instead of wario, but i took it off cuz i thought wario is under played AND he's a "criminal" so to speak. and if you haven't noticed, most of these are "criminals". now! for those who can't cosplay, like u said, i will have a little sign for them to hang around their necks, with the picture of their character (that matches the ones on the cards that i'm making) so they, themselves, and the audience can see who they are. for those who are in cosplay, well, they already represent themselves by the way they look, but those in the audience who don't know who they are, it miiight cuz a problem, but we can figure that out when we get there.

I understand why you want more obscure characters, and it makes sense to hand-pick criminal characters, but regardless I'm sure we'll have lots of people showing up in innocent character cosplays. Perhaps we can expect Cardcaptor Sakura to be accused of murder before the night is over. I think it'd be good to have a mixture of popular and slightly obscure characters, as well as a mixture of heroes and villains.

Oh, also, I noticed what seems to be a Phoenix Wright reference in your description of the rules. ;) Okay, that's it... If I participate in this in any way, I'm totally wearing my Apollo Justice cosplay. XD  Heck, it'd be fun if this were called "Phoenix Wright Clue." But I'm biased about that.

OBJECTION!

yea i live in beaverton lol but hey! maybe you can make a few of them and i can make the others? lol so then they'd look unique? lol XD but meh! ima just ask my fiance, and my friends to help me :) even my sister, since she might not be able to go to mewcon. hopefully she can ;~;

yea ima be hanging them on the walls, but it might pose a problem with the locations of the worlds, BUT i think it'd be funnier if we put the worlds scattered around the audience. so that the audience is there "with them" and the people have to go through a "wormhole" to get to the other worlds lol just an idea in my mind. more fun that way anyways :) i'm thinking room set ups as i'm typing XD

Hmmm. Would I be drawing them myself, and then mailing them up?... I dunno. :-\  I can do digital editing pretty easily, though. I even have some Clue board scans on my computer. >.>; (Awhile ago I was trying to make a Clue variant with a custom board and cards.) Perhaps it'd provide a good model of something that could be drawn on butcher paper?

(I'd suggest printing them out on card paper, but it'd cost a good deal to print out, and they'd be fairly small)

Scattering them throughout the audience would be fun, but if you do that, I recommend making the locations into handheld signs: glue two pieces of card paper back-to-back with a wooden dowel in-between.  That way an audience member could hold it up high without their arms getting tired, and they could even remain sitting down in a chair if they're next to an aisle.

One thing's certain, though: if you use point-to-point movement (as you've planned), and totally ditch the "map," it'll be a lot easier for players to figure out how to move.

Whoah, this turned out to be long. Sorry about that. ^_^;
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 05:25:24 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 10:19:06 pm »
1)the dice would each have a world on it :P simple as that.

and just moving to one room at a time makes it easier.

2)when you want to solve the murder, you obviously can do it whenever you want (as people should know) and it has to be when it's your turn. BUT i don't want people to say "i claim (so and so)" and then when they get it wrong , and then say (on their same turn) "i want to state a case" i just think it's very unfair.

3)cards wise, we have to stick with them UNTIL someone wants to "solve a case" (i should have said that lol) THEN they can go and grab the prop, the person, and bring them to that world. then the host will check if that's right, and if it is wooo! if not, they are out and people and props resume where they were before.

4)the reason why i changed them to that is cuz it goes with the court and detective thing i wanted to bring for it (deathnote and a bit of, like you noticed, phoenix wright). so one is "state a claim" the other is "solve a case" (i didn't write that right lol *edits*)

5)people undermine me a lot cuz of my race (and trust me it does matter when you live in texas for 2 years) and then when you come here, even more sadly enough... it really is stupid...my whole family gets treated very poorly here..
and yes shouting with my own voice sucks, cuz last kumoricon i lost my voice for a week... starting day 2 of con :) (sarcastic smile)

6) like i said (most) are criminals, but aren't limited to them :P chibitalia is soo innocent! >w< and an congoer isn't quite innocent but meh. besides, i like these characters a lot, and they fit their characters in some kind of way lol and they aren't exactly limited, i mean people can cosplay their own characters :P so it's okay.

7)you HAVE to wear your apollo costume now. no if's, ands, or BUTTS! (ha butts) :P

8)it's okay. i'm just gonna print out some images on my computer of the basic worlds, and them write big on the paper the name of the worlds.
the worlds will be on the walls around the audience. i don't want the audience to have to do that for us. i want them to sit and enjoy the fun :) and if they want, the next game, they can participate. so it's kinda like a game show lol

9)there won't be any going from only this room to the next like real clue. i find it kinda time restricting and it's faster to just go from place to place. and it's funnier seeing people go across the room XD
also that way they can just hurry and go instead of having to go from one place to the next.
as that person is walking to the next room, the next person can prepare for the rolling, so we can keep a constant movement.

map layout is not like how washougal had on the fist page. it's totally different, and i already have it layed out :) and i think what i will do, is have someone in the audience, hold the "case file", and when we are ready to check the case, they can check it. (of course we would know who it is, but i think it'd be cool if someone in the audience, if they want, can read it) i think you know why i want the audience to do that. u know how the board is layed out right? well what do you think the audience is? XDDD

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 10:21:56 pm »

I assume that it'll be a D10, 12, or 20, right?  Of course, you'd have to figure out what the rest of the spaces would be... maybe "Wherever you want."

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 10:26:29 pm »
um i was thinking of a 10 one since one of the squares will be a "?" and that means the audience may pick which world to go to :) i think this will make the game play much more interesting >:3 what you think?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 10:28:56 pm »
Crowd interaction, eh?  Not bad; I like that idea.  If I may, though, I'd recommend going with a D12.  They roll a lot better than a D10, which makes things more random; also, you have 3 extra spaces, rather than 1.  You can have those other 2 be the same thing, or come up with other options...

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 02:41:24 am »

and just moving to one room at a time makes it easier.
So the same as drawing from a hat, but it looks a bit slicker? Sounds good to me. :)

2)when you want to solve the murder, you obviously can do it whenever you want (as people should know) and it has to be when it's your turn. BUT i don't want people to say "i claim (so and so)" and then when they get it wrong , and then say (on their same turn) "i want to state a case" i just think it's very unfair.

Why is that unfair?  A suggestion/claim is just a way to gain information.  If you're trying to guess the actual solution every single turn, it's very difficult to be strategic about it.

Example: I have the Poison Mushroom and the Mushroom Kingdom in my hand.  I suspect Wario did it.  So, I say "I claim that Wario did it in the Mushroom Kingdom with the Poison Mushroom."

Obviously, the only card anyone can show me is Wario, since the others are in MY hand. But if NO ONE shows me Wario, then I can eliminate all of the other suspects, because I know Wario did it.

So in that way, it's possible to learn the solution from a "claim"/"suggestion," even when you know the solution is different. And if other players are paying enough attention, they might even be able to deduce the solution on somebody ELSE'S turn. So it's very important to be able to "accuse"/"solve the case" the moment you know the solution (during your turn, of course).

3)cards wise, we have to stick with them UNTIL someone wants to "solve a case" (i should have said that lol) THEN they can go and grab the prop, the person, and bring them to that world. then the host will check if that's right, and if it is wooo! if not, they are out and people and props resume where they were before.

Well, the weapon pieces in the original Clue game are totally unnecessary; they're just for show.  The weapon props would be for show, too, but... so would all the costumes. It's all in good fun. :)  If you don't want to deal with moving props around the room every turn, though, your plan sounds good to me.

4)the reason why i changed them to that is cuz it goes with the court and detective thing i wanted to bring for it (deathnote and a bit of, like you noticed, phoenix wright). so one is "state a claim" the other is "solve a case" (i didn't write that right lol *edits*)

Hehe... you won't see me complaining about Phoenix Wright references. ^_^  I haven't seen much of Death Note, though (Just a couple of episodes and the first movie).

5)people undermine me a lot cuz of my race (and trust me it does matter when you live in texas for 2 years) and then when you come here, even more sadly enough... it really is stupid...my whole family gets treated very poorly here..
and yes shouting with my own voice sucks, cuz last kumoricon i lost my voice for a week... starting day 2 of con :) (sarcastic smile)

I've known some cool people who live in Texas, but I usually feel sorry for them having to live there. So I sympathize. I'm sorry it becomes such an issue. I'm especially sorry that you feel it is worse here. Oregon has its share of racism. I'd LIKE to think that the convention has less...

Let's aim for a panel where you don't lose your voice! ;) Especially at MEW con, since it's much smaller!

6) like i said (most) are criminals, but aren't limited to them :P chibitalia is soo innocent! >w< and an congoer isn't quite innocent but meh. besides, i like these characters a lot, and they fit their characters in some kind of way lol and they aren't exactly limited, i mean people can cosplay their own characters :P so it's okay.

Having done a variety of panels and performances, I figure that if the audience "gets" it, it's cool, no matter what it is.  If you think most of the audience will know your chosen characters, then yeah, go for it. :)

7)you HAVE to wear your apollo costume now. no if's, ands, or BUTTS! (ha butts) :P

No butts? My pants aren't allowed to have a seat?... :| I don't think the exposure policies will allow for that...

And yes, the next time I attend your Clue panel, whether at MEW or another con, I will definitely work it out so I am wearing Apollo. :)  It would be especially fun if there was an "Udgey" cosplayer acting as the M.C. or something.

8)it's okay. i'm just gonna print out some images on my computer of the basic worlds, and them write big on the paper the name of the worlds.
the worlds will be on the walls around the audience. i don't want the audience to have to do that for us. i want them to sit and enjoy the fun :) and if they want, the next game, they can participate. so it's kinda like a game show lol

Whatever you think will be most fun!

I figured some people would be more than willing to volunteer to sit holding a sign, but what do I know? I've never tried this before.

9)there won't be any going from only this room to the next like real clue. i find it kinda time restricting and it's faster to just go from place to place. and it's funnier seeing people go across the room XD
also that way they can just hurry and go instead of having to go from one place to the next.
as that person is walking to the next room, the next person can prepare for the rolling, so we can keep a constant movement.

All good points. Streamlining the game is important when an entire room full of people (audience included) is involved.

I still want to re-suggest the idea of drawing two rooms from a hat, and then picking one of them, though. ^_^;  Or if you use dice, the player gets the option of one re-roll per turn, but they have to take the results of the second roll.  What do you think?

map layout is not like how washougal had on the fist page. it's totally different, and i already have it layed out :) and i think what i will do, is have someone in the audience, hold the "case file", and when we are ready to check the case, they can check it. (of course we would know who it is, but i think it'd be cool if someone in the audience, if they want, can read it) i think you know why i want the audience to do that. u know how the board is layed out right? well what do you think the audience is? XDDD

I just pulled that example layout out of my a-... er... thin air. So don't think I was too attached to it (I'm not).

Er... I'm not sure I catch the significance of the audience. ^_^; Is it just because they're in the center, and that's where the Confidential File was in Clue?

IMPORTANT: make absolutely sure the person holding confidential folder does NOT say what cards are in the file when they check!  Just yes or no!

I know, they "should know" what they're supposed to do, but if somebody lets the solution slip, the entire game comes to a halt.  I have had this happen before.  The biggest problem with Clue is that messing up the rules can totally ruin the game by giving away important stuff.  So even though Clue isn't THAT complicated, making sure the players don't mess up is important.

Actually, here's a suggestion: keep a rulekeeper on the floor.  This person would have these responsibilities:

1. Writes down the contents of every player's hand on a big sheet, then uses it to...
2. ...make sure no one overlooks a card in their hand when asked to disprove something.
3. When a claim is disproved, takes the card across the room to show to the person who made the claim, then returns the card to its owner afterwards.

If I were at the panel, I could fill this role.  Then I could shout "OBJECTION!" when somebody forgets about a card in their hand. XD  Of course, the rulekeeper would have to be very careful not to make a mistake, as it would be embarrassing.

Okay, there ya go. That's all I've got for now. I hope you don't mind the excessive quote tags.  I've gotten used to it after lots of forum-ing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:07:53 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 02:44:35 am »
Addendum:

About the die.  It should be possible to make a large die out of cardboard or poster board, regardless of whether it's an ordinary D6 or something weirder, like a D12.

I'm 90% sure we can find patterns for them online.  I remember assembling polyhedrons in 7th grade math class.  That would work perfectly for making big D12s or whatnot.

Apollo Justice

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 10:21:52 am »
There are.

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 07:23:58 pm »
1) dice idea is set to a D10 OR a D12 btw. just making things clear. so only one die. and i will be using cardboard :3

2) i think i should have been more clear on this. it's unfair if it's after 1 round. i think i should say after 1 round, then you can Solve a Case, so it gives a bit of a chance for the rest of the players. that's what really bugged me about clue <-< lol

3) yea the props i know were just for show, and that's kinda wat i wanted. cuz lugging props around the room gets tiresome and i don't want ppl to be like all angry with us lol and besides, if they do hold a prop, it kinda gives it away.

4) yea deathnote is pretty much about a "bad guy", Light yagami, and a detective named L, and he gets killed by "kira" (the name of the supposed "god" who kills ppl with a deathnote lol so the detective solving cases thing falls into that category. and i do love phoenix wright, but i haven't played much of the games, cuz i haz no money atm for those (i'm kinda a kh fanatic lol so all my money has been going to that and my cosplays) so in i'm trying to borrow the games from friends, and such. *cough hint cough* lol

5) thanks for the sympathizing :3
and yes! i like smaller cons for a reason XD

6) yea i did a kh panel last year at kumo, and i figured, if ppl know and understand, and they think it's funny. then it's cool lol.

7) lol your butt will be free though? XD
apollooooo wear him D: lol i command thee!

8) well if this game goes on for a while, and they get tired of holding the sign (which i know will happen) then it's gonna pose a problem. so i think it's easier for ppl to see it on the wall, than someone holding it, cuz they may move it around, or w/e. i wish you could see the room layout in my head lol wait ._. i'll take a pic of it lol *goes and takes pic*

9) i reallly like the re-roll option. makes the game interesting. if they don't like the world they first rolled, they can reroll again, but MUST stick to that 2nd option. thanks! that really makes the game very interesting! :)

10) lolol yes they are the cellar, or w/e you want to call them. and i was thinking of having a "fake" audience member, or one of my friends, sitting in the audience, and be the holder. just so we don't run into that problem lol i kinda forgot that not all congoers follow the rules, or they forget lol

11) also i do like the idea of a keeper! and i think you should be the keeper :)

1. Writes down the contents of every player's hand on a big sheet, then uses it to...
2. ...make sure no one overlooks a card in their hand when asked to disprove something.
3. When a claim is disproved, takes the card across the room to show to the person who made the claim, then returns the card to its owner afterwards.

those seem quite fitting! and i love that! thanks so much for the help :) and lol don't worry. i used to quote, but i find it kinda tedious. XD

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 12:09:48 am »
1) dice idea is set to a D10

Here's a D10 outline for ya!  (Sort of)

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 12:26:01 am »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 12:30:14 am »
You're welcome!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 08:03:15 pm »
I know I've been using quote tags, but screw it!  This is getting too complicated. Here we go:

1.) Okay, Washy provided a blank D12, and if his D10 isn't good for you, let me know and I'll make a black and white D10 image, similar to the D12 pattern!

2.) Oh, I see. No final accusations before everybody gets at least one turn. Makes sense. But... have you actually played with someone good enough to solve it before everyone gets a turn??? o_o;; Or failing that, someone reckless enough to blindly guess on their first turn?... Either way, that's nuts.

3.)Okay, we are on the same page about props!  Not sure how holding a prop gives anything away, though.  It's just a visual aid; the card is what would give it away, right? But yeah they are just for show.

4.) Hey hey! I said I haven't seen MUCH Death Note. :)  I've certainly seen enough to know the premise. ;) But yeah, your Clue/Death Note idea seems to work.  OH OH OH!  The Death Note totally needs to be a weapon in the Clue game. Srsly.

Have fun with KH!  My sister basically gets new game systems FOR Kingdom Hearts.  I bought her a DS for Christmas last year, but she probably would've scrounged one up somehow if I hadn't. We live in the same house, so needless to say I have easy access to the games. ^^;

5.) Sure thing! I like smaller cons too but MEW Con is a bit too small and unfocused for me. Oh, and everybody's drunk. :B Hurr. j/k

6.) KH is so popular at conventions (especially among the girls, WTF?) that I wouldn't worry about whether enough people will get the jokes. They will. :)

7.) Yessss. Free butt.
And... yes, master. I will wear Apollo for you.
Buuuuut.... what happens if I finish my Professor Plum cosplay?... >.>

8.) Holding signs is no big deal to me (ask me about my Apollo props), but you have a perfectly good point. Signs are no good if they get to be a bother.

9.) Glad you like the re-roll idea! :)  I just thought it'd be more interesting to the audience than drawing from a hat, since you're apparently making a big die to roll. Nice 'n' fancy.

10) Cellar, basement, attic, whatever those stairs are. :) Actually, you're right; they're the cellar. And using an audience plant? Genius. Then the audience member isn't stuck if they have to leave, too.

There's this board game site I go to, and they have a topic where people list games they played with the wrong rules for a long time. Clue has lots of entries in that topic.

11.) I'm glad you like the rulekeeper idea! :) If I am there somehow, I will be happy to do it.  However, who ever said we can have only one?... ;) Two or three sets of eyes are even better to make sure nothing gets missed. And then you don't need to find a backup if someone can't make it to the con (like me).

Anyway, great, I'm glad I could be of some help! You're welcome!  I know a lot about Clue... I wish I could say I was any good at it. But I usually lose horribly or get beaten to the punch at the last second. :| Oh well.......
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:07:28 pm by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 08:53:05 pm »
lol i was gonna say quoting takes up too much time XD hence i find it tedious ;D

1) yes washy did, i do like a d12 cuz that gives 3 spaces for "?" and that gives the audience a chance to pick where they should go XD i kinda like that, gives it a twist.
if you could make a D10 image go ahead :) cuz even one "?" is good

2) yea i kinda think that maybe 3 turns should be a good number, cuz usually around 3 turns someone wants to solve the case >.< and i don't get the chance to gather evidence. so i think it's fair and 3 turns isn't that bad, right? and yes. i have played with someone that good <_< more like they get lucky <-<

3) it's like showing your card to the rest of the players, so if you get the mushroom card, and your holding the shroom card, it kinda gives it away to everyone. it's suppose to be kept secret, until you are ready to state your claim (or solve the case).

4) lol :P i was thinking about making the deathnote a prop, but i'm like "it's overrated" and it's used too much, BUT if someone brings a deathnote, i will be happy to sub it in XD

yes kh is awesome. and i think the reason why a lot of girls like it, is cuz there are TONS of hawt and smexy guys in the game XDDD sadly not enough girls ._. and i'm SO happy that Aqua got created! gives me a reason to get a blue wig <3~ AND wear almost all blue <3~ (and she's awesome anyways lol)
and i'm a lot like your sister <w< who is she? lol

5) yea it is small, but it's kinda like a friends con to me (since it's my first year) and i'm gonna be staffing as well (reg staff) so be sure to see me at registration XD

6) yea i think kh jokes will be good, if this was a KH panel, lol, but i want to include all sorts of stuff :) so i'm doing a bit of games, and anime.

7) lol if you finish your plum cosplay, go ahead and wear it :) that'd be much more epic XD

8) yea, they do become a bother, and i would rather just have them hanging on a wall. no hassle.
mm? what props? XD may i ask?

9) yes. rerolling is a go! so i will add that to the summary of the game.

10) lol i'm no genius, XD i just think? i donno lol i was like "well if i center the audience around the game, i think it'd be a nice touch and people would feel more into the game" :)

11) yea i was thinking about having like 3 or so? but i think i'm gonna have my fiance be one, you if you can, and my friend kristi (if she's willing to), and hopefully another of my friends who's making it (ashley). so i hope they can all help me with it :)

lolol i think if we played together, you would win XD i usually take my time, and think of the multiple possibilities, and i end up 1 think short of winning >.< so yea .. but it's okay :) i've won once XD and it was outta pure luck too ._.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 12:46:40 am »
lol i was gonna say quoting takes up too much time XD hence i find it tedious ;D

1) yes washy did, i do like a d12 cuz that gives 3 spaces for "?" and that gives the audience a chance to pick where they should go XD i kinda like that, gives it a twist.
if you could make a D10 image go ahead :) cuz even one "?" is good

I personally believe that a D12 rolls better, anyways.  (Did I already say that?  I don't recall...)

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 02:39:39 am »
lol i don't think you did :P but yea it does roll better.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 05:31:34 am »
Stuff!

Yeah, I know quoting is tedious, but I had a (relatively) quick system going.  But proofreading it just isn't worth it. Too many tags to close. :P

Okay, since the list is getting long, I'll skip the ones that don't really need replies!

1.) I agree that D12 is better. :) It's easier to make, easier to roll, and looks better (unless you're really into certain role-playing games...)  The "?" idea sounds great. Why not make it a Super Mario "?" block? ;)
Oh, and one more suggestion: if a "?" comes up, no rerolls!!  Just 'cuz the audience would be disappointed, haha.

2.) 3 turns?  That's pretty quick.  It sounds like the people you play with are either brilliant or reckless. XD  Personally I'd start allowing accusations after one full round. If someone finds the solution as early as round 2, that just means more time for more games before the panel ends! Right...?

3.) But the weapon props wouldn't need to have anything to do with the cards; they'd be passed around a lot.  What if the murder weapon is the Keyblade, but Sephiroth stole it to do the deed? ;)

4.) Personally, at conventions I don't worry about referencing shows that are "overrated," even if I don't like them. What's really fun is inside jokes. If people like the character/weapon/world, they are happy to see it. If they HATE the character/weapon/world, they get a golden opportunity to make fun of it instead! XD Either way, it's a win-win.  But if they don't recognize the anime/game it's from, they can't do either... :-\
So yeah. I'm in favor of a Death Note. :3 But if you allow open props, I can almost guarantee someone will bring one anyway.

Actually, I thought lots of girls like KH because they have a more lasting fondness for Disney, and KH is an excuse to revisit it. But you have a point about KH's strange lack of, er, "appealing" girls.  For the longest time, Kairi was the only cute one, and she didn't do squat. >.>; And they're all so friggin' young and underage.  Of course, many of the guys are too, but still.......

I don't know about Aqua yet.  I left off at 258/7 Days...or whatever it's called. Some of my friends have nicknamed it "Kingdom Hearts Math."  You probably haven't met my sister. She has come to two conventions: Kumori Con 2003, and Sakura Con 2010. She writes a novel-length Kingdom Hearts fanfic, though (in installments). I forget the title. Her online nick is Ariana.

5.) MEW Con is more like a spinoff con to me. To tell the truth, I find it extremely... disorganized. >.>; And I had a bad experience which wasn't really MEW Con's fault, but it brings back bad memories.

7.) Okay, Prof. Plum will override Apollo Justice. (Or is that overrule?... ;) )

8.) Like practically every other Phoenix Wright series cosplayer, my Apollo Justice costume involves sign props. The signs say things like "OBJECTION!" and "TAKE THAT!" and "GOTCHA!" ...They're practically required.  I also enjoy carrying around a briefcase. It's handy.

10.) Sounds good to me! ^^

11.) I'd recommend 2 to 3 rulekeepers. I don't think you'd need any more than that!  And if you somehow ended up with only one, it wouldn't be a big deal.  If you end up with 4... I could just be a potential backup, IF I manage to go. :) (The only reason I might end up going is if my girlfriend really wants to go, but it's a two-hour bus ride to get her here, and that's only half the trip)

As for playing the Clue board game with me... I dunno!  Maybe I'd win. I haven't won in a long time, though. The thing is, I try to use all these advanced techniques that allow me to deduce and eliminate cards on other people's turns.  And it works... but still, other people figure out the solution before me. ><; So the only possible conclusion is that some of the people I play with are REALLY smart and very good note-takers.

A good Clue player will eventually be able to tell you what all the cards in your hand are, even if s/he has seen less than half of them.  Not that you'd want to actually DO so during a game. But it's fun when you know that you could. :3
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:04:28 pm by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 01:37:35 pm »
As for playing the Clue board game with me... I dunno!  Maybe I'd win. I haven't won in a long time, though. The thing is, I try to use all these advanced techniques that allow me to deduce and eliminate cards on other people's turns.  And it works... but still, other people figure out the solution before me. ><; So the only possible conclusion is that some of the people I play with are REALLY smart and very good note-takers.

A good Clue player will eventually be able to tell you what all the cards in your hand are, even if s/he has seen less than half of them.  Not that you'd want to actually DO so during a game. But it's fun when you know that you could. :3

I WANNA PLAY, TOO!!!

I do pretty good when I play, but most of the time it feels like my opponents aren't that great with strategizing (like my GF).  I don't play that much anymore because most of the people I know don't like playing it too much...

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 05:26:41 pm »
!@washougal: not sure who u play with :P lol

@radien: lol proofreadin' :P

1) i was thinking the EXACT thing XD how'd you know? lol yes they are question blocks X3
and if the player gets a "?", even on their first turn, they HAVE to do what the audience tells them, and they can't reroll if they don't like the choice. lol

2)lol they are just crazy ppl XD

i think what i might do here is, after 1 full round, people may start stating their claims. They may start solving the case after 3 full rounds. sound good?
and i think if we have 3 hours i think we will have enough time lol

3) well the props are kinda big, so having them hold the props and their clip-board might cause a problem. (they have to write their stuff down, to eliminate the inoocent)

4) i don't do the "mainstream" crap. i have old mainstream but not current (except APH and FMA, but fma is starting to go down). i mean sure if everyone knows who we're talking about it's great, but sometimes it really bugs me when someone brings out a Naruto or Ichigo and i'm like "srsly? <_<" it's not even funny anymore. especially the "believe it" crap DX
so i wouldn't call it a win-win lol

if someone brings the deathnote then be my guest XD
and yea probably.

lolol yea i think it's the disney thing, but i know my fiance likes it cuz they HAVE disney in there and FF characters. it's like the epic of epic XD (it's actually my dream come true to tell you the truth. i was hoping for a game, with FF and disney.. never thought it would happen XD)

yea... kairi ticks me off in kh2.. at least in kh1 she was trying to, but then stupid sora's like "you'll only get in my way" <_<+ if i was kairi i woulda been like "biatch! move! i'm gonna go fight!" LOL then again, my heart isn't as "pure" as kairi's (as IF! to quote braig XD) and yea most of them srsly look like they are tooo young. (kh1 sora, before i looked at his profile, i thought he was 9 lol turns out he was 15. i was like WTF?!?!)

you gotta play bbs. it is BY FAR my favorite kh game. 358/2 was meh. it was okay, but i did cry at the end, so i'm happy. (anything that stirs up my emotions is a A+ in my book. it takes a good storyline, and deep characters, to get me that stirred up.) lol kh math XD it's sad that most ppl can't DO that simple math <.< >.>

you will love aqua :) trust me. if you play terra, ventus, then aqua (chronological order) then you will def understand it more (less spoilers too lol).

5) lol spinoff. well i'll see when i get there XD i think it's cuz it's only 3 years old. cons that young are usually that way, if the people aren't experienced or they don't know how to handle more people.

7) wootz! I'LL ALLOW IT! XD

8) LOL nice signs! =w=b

10) :3

11) yea 2-3 sounds good. one on each side i suppose.

hmz gf aye? XD what's her name, may i ask? >:3 hm 2hours. well better than 4 states away right? XD

lol i bet you could win. i'm very competative, but because of that, i end up losing my head. -_-"
lol i bet it's cuz they are good note-takers =w=

yea you wouldn't want to do that during gameplay. but it's good to be able to know that in your head, cuz that really is the way to win.

p.s. so the idea of each player holding a clip-board with their 3 cards, and the eliminating list (and a pencil of course), you think that's a good idea, since they will be standing most of the time? or should i give them a white board with a marker? (i kinda like the clipboard idea cuz it's easier for them to have all their cards and stuff on there, but the white board is easier to erase, and ppl love that marker smell XDD (jk)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 05:59:38 pm »
!@washougal: not sure who u play with :P lol

Mostly against family.

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 06:25:35 pm »
LOLOL yea my family has stopped playing board games (or games together) in general. sad ._. i love playing video games, but sometimes i get lonely D:<

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 11:01:46 pm »
LOLOL yea my family has stopped playing board games (or games together) in general. sad ._. i love playing video games, but sometimes i get lonely D:<

Agreed...

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2010, 04:37:29 pm »
I WANNA PLAY, TOO!!!

I do pretty good when I play, but most of the time it feels like my opponents aren't that great with strategizing (like my GF).  I don't play that much anymore because most of the people I know don't like playing it too much...

If this were the Eugene Cosplayer thread I'd totally suggest getting together and playing. :) Unfortunately I don't live near you guys.

If you just play with anybody, you won't get as good strategy, yeah. Most people don't like playing when they feel like they have no chance of winning, but then they never play, so they never get good at the game, and thus the cycle continues. Besides, Clue is easier to enjoy if someone explains some basic strategies to you beforehand. No one ever explained that to me when I was a kid, so I always lost back then.

luvan1me:

1.) I know I know, proofreading, what's that? :P But if you mess up BBCode tags it can sometimes totally screw up your post. So it's more worth checking the tags than just spelling alone.

Yay, Mario reference. :) I guess that's a pretty universal otaku thing, eh?...

2.) Waitaminnit. I'm really losing track of your terminology here.  I'm going to revert to the original terminology.  Are you saying people can't make suggestions on the first round?  There's not much to the game without suggestions.

And waiting 3 full rounds before accusations can be made? Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with a short game, and accusations should be allowed starting in round 2. If you're worried about the best players winning repeatedly, just say that the winner can't be a player in the next game. Or, replace ALL the players after the end of each game.

Incidentally, are you going to try to have prizes for winners?  If so, remember to ask for a budget from MEWcon.  Or more likely, see if they have a prize bin to draw from.  I'm not sure how much they can offer, but it's worth asking.  They had some little random prizes available for the various contests when I ran a Soul Calibur tournament at MEW Con.

How many games of Clue do you want to fit into 3 hours?  Personally, I'd try to keep each game's length between 30 minutes to an hour. People have shorter attention spans at conventions.

3.) Sure, do whatever you think works for props. It doesn't affect the game, so whatever is most pleasing to the audience/players is best.

4.) Wait, APH is mainstream now?... Hmmm.  Aside from that, I assume by "mainstream" you mean "can be viewed on cable." I don't watch anime on cable, but for different reasons.  You see, for the most part, I avoid all cable in general (except The Daily Show and various news reports).

KH: Yeah, what would you think ten years ago if somebody said there's someday be a game where Winnie the Pooh and Sephiroth BOTH had major appearances?... :P  Glad you got your wish. ;)

5.) Eh, I think the whole "pure heart" thing is kinda pointless. Sora's pretty "pure" too (lawl virgin jokes) but at least he's developed. I don't see why Kairi is at all important outside the opening of the game. They didn't introduce a major female non-villain until 259787/34 Days. (From here on I will be entering random numbers for that game's title.)

Note: I got an A+ in Trigonometry, so I can do math just fine. But that game's name is just a bunch of random numbers.  If it were "365 days" it'd be different.

Additional note: Riku sucks. Even when he's cool, he always sucks.

BBS... excellent, a KH game named after a message board system.  I'll get to it eventually.  I'm afraid I like KH better on the PS2 than the DS.  The DS isn't as well-suited to full 3D.  Thank god the 3DS has an analog stick.

I will keep your recommendation in mind for character order. :) Hopefully they push you to do that order. Also: another Square character named Terra, eh?...

5.) Actually... MEWcon is still roughly the size Kumori Con was in year 1. I think they've had a hard time turning a profit to invest in each subsequent year.

7.) Or as that judge said multiple times in that episode of Futurama, "I'm going to allow this."

8.) One of these days I want to make a "BOOT TO THE HEAD!" sign.

11.) She is emasik on the forums. :) And yes, 2 hours is much better than it could have been.

I sympathize about losing your head from being competitive.  I've done that.  When I play Clue: Master Detective, my sheet gets so full of notes that I have a hard time keeping up with the other players.

It's funny: online, Clue fans discuss their note-taking methods.  Apparently it's a big thing among them.

CLUE PANEL (again):

I think a clipboard is not a bad idea, but I have another suggestion: if somehow you managed to print up the deduction sheets on card stock, players could get along without clipboards.

Hand-held whiteboards are a nifty idea, but they sound kinda big.  Remember players need to hide what they're writing. If that's possible, then sure! Whiteboards would be great.

What does everybody think of it?  Whiteboards? Small notecards? Clipboards?... In this case I'd definitely go with whatever's the most popular, practical idea.

I'm trying to think of an alternative to evidence cards, though... I have a feeling there'd be something more practical, like Poker chips with paper circles attached to them, or whatnot.

Love that marker smell. :3 But we don't want people getting high during the game; it'd interfere with their deduction skills. ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:43:57 pm by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2010, 06:33:32 pm »
I WANNA PLAY, TOO!!!

I do pretty good when I play, but most of the time it feels like my opponents aren't that great with strategizing (like my GF).  I don't play that much anymore because most of the people I know don't like playing it too much...

If this were the Eugene Cosplayer thread I'd totally suggest getting together and playing. :) Unfortunately I don't live near you guys.

Are you coming to the December meeting?  We could play then...

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2010, 09:48:35 pm »
1)lol yea true.

2) lol suggestions (claim) can be made after 1 full round, (but i think i'm gonna do that for the first game, just so people can get used to the whole setup, like getting to a world and w/e cuz when they first start they aren't in a world) after the 1st game they can start doing it once they start. is that clear? or no? >.<

accusations (solving a case) they may start doing so after 2 rounds (had to deduce this in my head) cuz so far, most accusations didn't even start till the 3rd round when i played with ppl, just cuz ppl didn't have much to go by.

anyone is welcome to play again, but all winners will play one last game (the sudden death game which i'm making) and they will win a small prize. whoever can solve the case in this game is the winner (kinda like jeopardy lol) i would state a few facts, give them some cards, then let them play the game (the real clue game) on a table and see who wins. sound good? give me some suggestions for that game.

yea i'll be asking mew about their prize bin. cuz i know bangbangneko has a TON of prizes and she might be willing to donate some :)

hm i would love to fit in at least 6 games? 30-45 min per game i would say. and yes. ppl have very short attention spams XD i should know <.<"

3) true. and i'll let them know :3

4) lol yea aph is VERY popular now ._. it's starting to bug me. but mostly my sister at school lol. "omaga! history class! let's talk about APH!" uggh! it's really annoying <.<

kh: lol sephiroth XDD and winnie the pooh XDDD oh the lawlz

5) lol i think it's kinda lovely to have a game where evil and good and light and dark oppose each other, in the literal sense.

kairi is very important. w/o her or even riku or anyone else, there'd be no kh :P

xion isn't exactly a major female non-villain, cuz she does turn into a "villian" in a way at the end. and even then she isn't that much of a hero, other than the fact that she gave sora back his memories of kairi. to me i think she resembles what kairi would have been if stupid men didn't stereotype her character in the makings <-< *cough nomura cough*

note: lol i skipped tri :P
it's actually half a year if you do the math silly. he was in the organization for half a year (and sora was sleeping for a year) so that's why it's called 358/2 days took me a while to understand the title at all lol

and riku doesn't suck. he can kick sora's ass anyday. it was just the fact that he let his heart be taken over by darkness like his master (can't say anything else or else i ruin everything) and he i personally think he had a lot more strength (kh1) because he fought off xehanort while still being possessed and he apparently kept a lot of the darkness from escaping out of the Door (the princesses even said that in the game "someone must be holding back (blah blah) there is less darkness than there shoulda (blah blah)" something like that.

lol Birth by Sleep is the name :P yea i was glad when i heard of the 3DS, i really hated playing a lot of games on the DS (especially 358/2) cuz my L button won't work. made it really hard to play that game.

cool. and terra aqua ventus is (earth, water, air in Latin just like sora, riku, kairi means sky, land, and ocean in japanese) i really love those trios <3~

5) yea it is lol very interesting.

8) lol nice sign

11) ah good to know. :)

lol yea same here. note taking for me, has to be on a seperate notebook paper, not on those tiny papers. >.<

the white boards are much smaller than you think :P they are about the same size as a clipboard practically. but it's much easier to use a clipboard. ima stick with my original clipboard idea :) with paper and pencil for each player attached to the clipboard. if you have any clipboards, would you mind bringing them? if possible? if not i'll just go and find some at the dollartree.

mm poker chips are too small and some ppl might not be able to see. i think that small cards (like the ones you use to study) are a good size if cut in half. that way it's easy to have them clip onto the clipboards, and they can just carry the clipboard and it'd be easy. 

so! i'll ask around and see what my friends think :) since they know the game as well. they may add some good things to this.
and yes! those marker smells are a decoy >:3

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 02:35:28 am »
Are you coming to the December meeting?  We could play then...

While I would totally be down with board gaming after a meeting, I didn't have plans to attend a con meeting in December, especially because I currently lack a car.  I could get a ride up there, but then my ride would want to leave after the meeting, which would most likely interfere with plans.   :-\

Now, back to luvan1me:

2. I'm tempted to say that it almost sounds more confusing to restrict accusations/solutions in only the first game. :/ I wouldn't worry too much. Most people have played Clue at some time in their lives, at least.

One thing I can say from experience: don't worry about a Clue game being too short. I've never had that problem, like, ever. >.>;

How do you do a sudden death round of Clue?... Would it be faster?  "Sudden death" implies speedy elimination, but how would you be eliminated?...

Playing Clue on a regular-sized board sounds neat, but since MEW isn't a gaming convention, I suspect interest in that will be lower.  Similar to how people attend Cosplay Chess when they never play chess.

Great, good luck with the prizes. :) Bangbangneko is really involved in MEWcon from the sound of it.

hm i would love to fit in at least 6 games? 30-45 min per game i would say. and yes. ppl have very short attention spams XD i should know <.<"

Quoted just so I can say "attention spam, lawl." ^_^

I'm not sure whether it's possible to finish a Clue game in 30-45 minutes, but I definitely think it's a good goal.

4.) APH is popular but I don't think many people know of it outside the anime fan community. It hasn't even been commercially released here, has it? Though I hope it is eventually.

5.) I've played tons of games that had a real dark/light juxtaposition. That's actually kinda old-school, to tell the truth. :)

Kingdom Hearts stuff:

I'm not really sure what kind of justification they gave about "Kairi = Kingdom Hearts," but the thing is, it was mostly about her BEING there. It rarely had much to do with her actions.

I haven't even played long enough to meet Xion in Kingdom Hearts Math!  Don't tell me any spoilers!! *covers ears* LALALALALAA.

Actually, half a year is 182 1/2 days.  I understand that the title represents how long he was there, but it's a really arbitrary number that doesn't sound significant at all. :/

You don't understand. When I say "Riku sucks," I mean that he makes bad (and sometimes downright foolish) choices throughout the entire series. So for instance, Riku does something that directly results in the near-doom of the Destiny Islands, for really stupid and selfish reasons, and my sister and I shout "RIKU YOU SUCK!!" at the screen.

Sorry your DS is dying.  I'm on my third DS, actually.  Though none of them have ever actually died on me.

I didn't know the main character names corresponded to earth, sky, and ocean. Cool. :) Well, I knew "sora" means "sky," but the other two names are uncommon usages.

Now about Clue as a game:

Some people use one full sheet for each game, rather than just one column of the sheet. That way they can assign each opponent a column and check off the player who holds each card. I would like to try that sometime, even if it uses up sheets more quickly.

My copy of Clue: Master Detective has full-sized (8 1/2" x 11") sheets of paper as "Detective Notebooks," but it's a discontinued game, so eventually I'm gonna run out. :/

And about Clue panel materials:

If your whiteboards are small enough, sounds great! :) Just gotta make sure the markers aren't so big that it's impossible to write down much detail. Also, if it's a whiteboard, wouldn't the players have to draw the grids themselves?...

Well, you sound like you're going with clipboards, so never mind. :)  I think I can find (or make) a blank deduction sheet for you to print out and copy.  Perhaps it'd be best if the weapon and suspect sections were blank so we can fill them in at the start of each game?

Notecards cut in half would work just fine as evidence cards, but if you want something slightly nicer-looking, you could get sheets of card stock and cut them into sixths or so.  If this panel got popular enough, you could accept contestant sign-ups ahead of time and print out custom cards for them.  But that's getting pretty involved, I guess. ^_^;

Brainstorming is good!  Good luck talking to your friends about it; hope they have some good ideas! :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:44:37 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice