Author Topic: Japanese They Don't Teach You In Class  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Japanese They Don't Teach You In Class
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:10:29 pm »
I've had an idea rolling around in my head that I was thinking of trying out as a panel or two.  The Japanese language and culture you learn in school is very well tailored to understanding shoujo manga, but if you prefer horror or yaoi ... the things you want to learn wind up not being on the lesson plans so often. 

Sadly, my Japanese is not good enough to handle a panel that is open ended where people can ask whatever they want ;)  However, I could cover cultural info, often used idioms, etc. in a more structured way.   I am going to start by working on a supernatural panel that covers Abe no Seimei, yokai and the like.  So, I was curious if anyone wanted to give me any feedback on what they would like to see out of such a panel? 

My goal is to have it be accessible to beginners, but also interesting to people at the 4th year college level and beyond.   

It will likely take a good bit of research to make a good list of what terms are used often.  If anyone already knows certain oft-used terms, feel free to let me know :)
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Japanese They Don't Teach You In Class
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »
but if you prefer horror or yaoi ... the things you want to learn wind up not being on the lesson plans so often. 

Don't forget yuri or whateverthetermisforstraightlovin'.  ;D  There's also a bunch of odd slang terms that they have (which goes without saying, really, because it's slang) that are in English, sort of.  I've seen a list of various examples that are just confusing, while others make more sense than our own terms (such as Phillips and Flathead screwdrivers, called "+" and "-" drivers).  This could be a panel with lots of possible material to go over.

It will likely take a good bit of research to make a good list of what terms are used often.  If anyone already knows certain oft-used terms, feel free to let me know :)

The last time I went to the Uwajimaya in Beaverton, I saw a book like this.  Perhaps looking into something like that could work, or possibly asking someone who teaches at a college or university that would most likely know this type of stuff.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
Re: Japanese They Don't Teach You In Class
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:23:54 pm »
Ahahaha I'd be interested in this.

Actually my friends in Japanese class and I were talking about how we had learned various phrases ("TASUKETEEEEEEEE" "IYAAAAA") from Higurashi and then random vocab ("MAHOUUUU" "MAJO") from Umineko.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter