Author Topic: Convincing new folks to try anime/manga?  (Read 8210 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Convincing new folks to try anime/manga?
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:07:09 pm »
Ever had pals who were more into other genres, such as western sci-fi & fantasy, who either for some reason looked down on anime & manga/manwha, or just hadn't been exposed to them or hadn't chosen to check them out yet? Are there any new or "classic" anime or manga that are your go-to titles for when you want to "sell" someone on anime/manga? Things that stand out, that have convinced the unbelievers? I wanna know! This comes up often.....

For example if someone were to say "all anime is fluff", which would you name as counterargument--- (a) as the most substantial, thought-provoking or value-laden material;
(b) as the best fluff when you're in the mood for fluff?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:13:14 pm by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
Re: Convincing new folks to try anime/manga?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:20:36 am »
I have a friend who's first (and last) experience with anime was an early episode of Naruto Dattebayo (English dub). No matter what we say, all she hears is "believe it believe it believe it!" whenever anime is on.

It is a hard road to try and guide people to like. You really have to know the person.

to answer your examples, though,

For substance: Monster or GitS

For action: Cowboy bebop or Samuri Champloo

For Fantasy: Any miyazaki

For Fluff: Toradora or xxxholic

While these are mostly high end anime, I also consider them 'gateway' anime :) I wouldn't try and start someone off with, say, Air Gear without some kind of idea of what's expected :)
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 10:48:35 am »
A fabulous answer! Exactly the kind of details I was looking for. Thanks! Anything Sci-Fi come to mind?

When I started having a boyfriend who was an otaku (who took me to TUNAC, which is how I got on board for KC 2003), he instructed me to try to watch as much of it as I could to get up to speed with him. Well I didn't have cable, but I had a VCR. So I went to the local video store (sigh; I always wanted to work at one, and now they are virtually extinct <--no pun intended), and decided I'd start renting them in alphabetical order. I thereby ended up watching Akira back to back with Bubblegum Crisis. My mind was kinda warped by that...it was like "The Anime Double-Feature That Scarred Me For Life". ;)

Anyway, that memory is one of the reasons for this thread! Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:49:17 am by RemSaverem »
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:01:27 am »
For sci-fi, Macross or Nadesico come to mind..

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:03:17 am »
For sci-fi, Macross or Nadesico come to mind..
Thank you! I have not seen either but will check them out.
My dear friend gave me a month-free-trial of Netflix for my birthday, so I'm eagerly seeking recommendations, particularly for sci-fi & fantasy anime!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:30:54 pm »
El Hazard might be a good series to look into if you're looking for fantasy.  The Record of Lodoss War OVA  is pretty good too, but it's more "serious."

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 01:10:47 pm »
A pal who had seen me in SCA garb had recommended Record of Lodoss War for me as possible cosplay, so I have always meant to check that out, thanks!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 04:43:57 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of Lodoss wars, it tends to drag on, but there is a cute elf chick in there who would make a good cosplay.

As for Scifi:
Vandread (at least the first season)  think you can get that on insta view on netflix
8 man after (oldie but goodie)
The third
Armatage
Dead Leaves
Galaxy Express 999 (they don't have it on netflix tho)
Astro Boy!
Banner of the Stars
Birdy the Mighty
Darker Than Black
Desert Punk
Ergo Proxy
Eureka Seven
Lain
Hyper Police
Interstella 5555
Last Exile
Neo Genesist Evangelion
Pale Cacoon
Project A-ko
Solty Rei
Summer Wars
Wind Named Amnesia
Xam'd Lost Memories

Tell me if you want more ;)

Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 04:54:12 pm »
*best Magenta voice from Rocky Horror* "More, more, more!"
How about what you like about your favorites from your lists? What aspects about them are reminiscent of various non-anime sci-fi books, series, films?

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 05:14:45 pm »

As for Scifi:
Vandread-- (at least the first season)  think you can get that on insta view on netflix, is about a space society where women are separate from men
8 man after-- (oldie but goodie)  Just awesome, very gripping
The third---  It is about a woman with a 3rd eye who lives in a post apocalyptic world as a bounty hunter
Armatage--  About androids rights
Dead Leaves--- crazy random people that break out from jail not knowing who they are and go on a crazy crime spree, very random
Galaxy Express 999 (they don't have it on netflix tho)--- Amazing classic anime where a boy wants to become a cyborg and goes on a journey with a woman
Astro Boy!--- classic, they even remade it into a movie not so long ago
Banner of the Stars--- guy goes into space joining a group that took over earth
Birdy the Mighty--- Dude and a space sheriff type girl combine bodies and fight space criminals on earth
Darker Than Black--- amazing sauce, must see!
Desert Punk--- post apocalypic world desert guy living as bounty hunter
Ergo Proxy --- similar, tho more epic less funny people live in domes as the world was ruined
Eureka Seven--- People that ride surfboards on the wind
Lain--- Very artful, about a girl who has an alter internet personality
Hyper Police--- world destroyed and humans are a minorities, cat/dog people live in the aftermath with humans
Interstella 5555--- Daft punk, amazazazaing!
Last Exile--- Sorta steam punkish
Neo Genesist Evangelion--- really one of the biggest hits, surprised if someone doesn't know about it
Pale Cacoon--- Mustasche's fav
Project A-ko--- classic anime, girl with super powers gets into fight with another super smart girl over another girl's love
Solty Rei--- hard to explain, android girl sorta becomes the daughter to a guy who lost his family
Summer Wars--- fun movie, world getting destroyed so a family comes together to stop it.
Wind Named Amnesia--- everyone in the world forgets everything and goes back to primoral living
Xam'd Lost Memories--- steampunkish war

Tell me if you want more ;)

[/quote]

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 06:55:20 pm »
I cannot thank you enough! You and your input are awesome. I had only even heard of a third to a half of that list. Not having cable nor cash has left me woefully behind. Are any of you watching anything relatively new this year that has impressed you?

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:21:59 pm »
Well, my cousin said NARUTO sucked, I FORCED HIM to watch the first episode, next thing you know he's in SHIPPUDEN.

Otherwise, I compare anime to something like LOST and they get what Im trying to say more. LOST is a very similar to how anime is.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 11:27:31 pm »
Lost is my favorite show other than Doctor Who and the Whedonverse. So which anime shows make you think of Lost?

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 08:56:19 am »
You might like Umineko no naku Koro ni

Tho, I don't think it is on netflix yet too new.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 10:43:05 am »
You might like Umineko no naku Koro ni

Tho, I don't think it is on netflix yet too new.
I'm not familiar with this title at all. To what does it translate? What's it about?

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »
What I do is try to find out what movies, comics, games interest the person.  Then I'll find manga and anime series that are of similiar genre and content.  A large misconception that I've encountered is that a lot of people think all anime is the typical Shonen stuff you'd see on CN.  Once you find their gateway anime so to speak, it is easy to lead them down the rabbit hole. 

Growing up my mom always though my fascination with anime and manga was odd (I'm 27, so growing up there was much less available for general consumption).  She just never really got it, then one Christmas a few years back I got here Spirited Away.  She is a huge fan of Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland, and I felt Spirited Away was right up that alley.  Since then she has become a fan of most the Ghilbi movies and even started to branch out into things like NANA and Clannad.

If I don't know their personal tastes, my goto is the things that blew my mind and got me so into anime.  I start with Akira.
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 11:44:57 pm »
What a wonderful story. I will try your strategy!

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 07:58:15 pm »
I usually recommend either a Ghibli film or Fullmetal Alchemist to people that don't know anything about anime, since they have broader appeal, and I've found a lot of resistance to anime has to do with its art style or humor being too foreign.  FMA in particular has a lot for anyone that watches it, whether they like action, humor, or more heavy dramatic stuff. 

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »
While I love FMA fanfics, and the eps that I have seen of the series, I would be a little wary of anyone accidentally starting out with Conqueror of Shambhala, lest they misinterpret it as racist. I haven't seen it (though I loved the multimedia fanfic parody, "Conqueror of Shambhala in 5 Minutes"), but there probably are some clips that could be misinterpreted, especially if viewed out of context.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:20 pm »
A big part of the strategy is also knowing what the new folks are already into.  For example, I've thought about showing my mom Sister Princess (of course, I'd like to watch it all the way, first, ya know?).  I think the only thing my dad would possibly like enough to watch would be some sort of war anime, or mabe one that heavily focuses on music.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 02:47:04 pm »
A big part of the strategy is also knowing what the new folks are already into.  For example, I've thought about showing my mom Sister Princess (of course, I'd like to watch it all the way, first, ya know?).  I think the only thing my dad would possibly like enough to watch would be some sort of war anime, or mabe one that heavily focuses on music.
If he likes classical music and ballet, he would probably have an appreciation for Princess Tutu.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 03:15:25 pm »
Not really.  He's more into various genres of rock, some country, and I think a little jazz, too.  (Though I think you're right about Princess Tutu).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 03:20:20 pm »
He might enjoy the music-themed episode titles of and soundtrack/score of Cowboy Bebop.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 03:32:29 pm »
I'd have to see it to know what you're even talking about.  (Only seen two episodes of Cowboy Bebop and the movie, so I have no idea what you're talking about).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 07:16:45 pm »
ok

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 10:09:26 pm »
I'd have to see it to know what you're even talking about.  (Only seen two episodes of Cowboy Bebop and the movie, so I have no idea what you're talking about).

Now three, but still no idea.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 09:31:35 am »
It's simple. If you look at the episode titles, they each include a word that is a genre of music. Example: "Mushroom Samba". And there is cool music in the background.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 09:44:01 am »
If he likes classical music and ballet, he would probably have an appreciation for Princess Tutu.

For folks who are into classical music, try Nodame Cantabile sub.

(Just my opinion, but the dub loses a lot of tone quality - which for this anime, is as important as special effects are to scifi.)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 09:56:52 am »
^ That's kind of a funny way to put it, random, because special effects aren't important in sci-fi (like the original Star Trek).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 04:04:12 pm »
Haven't heard of it; will check it out to try to interest my parents.
For folks who are into classical music, try Nodame Cantabile sub.

(Just my opinion, but the dub loses a lot of tone quality - which for this anime, is as important as special effects are to scifi.)

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 10:03:24 pm »
Kind of getting into this one late, sorry about that.

Rem, if you want to know these things, ask me.   ::)   ;D

I have always felt that Kiki's Delivery Service is one of the best starting anime features for general audience viewing.  I suppose some few people would be offended by the fact that the main character is a witch, and some may think it is geared towards a younger audience, but for the most part, I believe, everyone will enjoy it.  As stated earlier in this thread Ghibli films are great for first viewings, although some of them are a little harder to follow, or show more of the Japanese style of animated fantasy, than others.  Naussica, although a beautiful and enjoyable anime, with a nice environmental message, would not be a good starter anime.  In some respects the same is true about Princess Mononoke.  That one is kind of iffy, you will either like it, or you won't.  Once you become more familiar with the way Japanese animation is done, I believe it will grow on you.  Other Ghibli films that are easy to follow, and enjoy, are Porcco Rosso, My Neighbor Totoro, The Cat Returns, Spirited Away, and Howls Moving Castle.  Whispers of the Heart, and Castle in the Sky I would tend to put lower on the list.

Other works of interest are Steam Boy, and Tokyo Godfathers.  I believe both of these would have no problem being understood and enjoyed by a new audience.  I will state that Steam Boy gets a bit more far fetched, but it is a non stop action film.  I would recommend it over Akira any day.

For good Sci Fi.  Hmmm...  I like Starship Operators.  If you want an anime with a feel similar to Star Trek then that is the series to watch.  Another one that has a realistic and believable feel to it is Planetes, the anime about the "garbage men" of space who are responsible for removing navigational hazards from Earth orbit.  For a good space opera I like Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, and Banner of the Stars II, a well thought out galactic conquest anime covering the subjects of genetic manipulation and galactic bigotry.  The creator even created his own language for the novels, and they use it in the Anime.   ;D

Another fun anime with a sci fi twist is Unihabited Planet Survive.  This is a sort of Giligans Island style of anime, but not really a comedy.  It isn't as dark as Lord of the Flies, It is closer to Swiss Family Robinson.  I enjoyed watching each of the unique characters grow through the show.

Shows like Ghost in the Shell are nice, but unfortunately the movie is really hard to follow.  The TV series is a lot easier.  I wouldn't recommend it to a beginning audience.

For a Fantasy series I would recommend Seirei no Moribito.  It is a beautiful anime, easy to follow, and the whole 8 disk series can be purchased at Walmart for $30.

I also recommend Nodame Cantabile and it's sequel, a good suggestion.   ;D  I can't really think of any other anime about music.  Maybe Piano no Mori   ???   It is a great movie, and I think fun for a beginning audience as well.   :-\
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:35:00 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 11:44:11 pm »
Thanks for the details. Do you recommend any of the shonen? Are any of the sport, competition, or collecting anime good intros? Maybe Pokemon for chibis and Hikaru no Go for older kids? What's a good starter manga? Oh and what would appeal to folks into Lovecraft? Maybe Pet Shop of Horrors?

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 11:55:09 pm »
Two good starter mangas for adults are Monster and 20th century boys.  The stories in those are serious and not your standard manga flair.  I find that fans of Steven King get into 20th century and anyone who likes a good mystery/suspense will dig Monster.  The mangaka is really gifted in that regards. 
Unfortunitely I can't think of anything for Lovecraft fans, just not quite an anime that compares.  Though mind****s like Paranoia Agent or horror like Higurashi might hit the spot.

As for sports, I think those can be good leadins as well - especially the ones whose depictions are closer to RL (like Hajime no Ippo for boxing fans).  I guess  most of these, IMO, are good because they show that anime/manga are not restricted to the stereotypes most people think of (most people who don't know better think all anime is like Naruto, DBZ, or Sailor Moon).

Also, with the Marvel animes coming out Iron Man currently, then wolverine and two others - it might be easier to get comic fans to try it out.  They're doing a great job with Iron Man so I have high hopes.
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 09:58:05 am »
Cool, thanks.
What would you recommend for my legion of pals who are into LOST?

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 08:28:49 pm »
Thanks for the details. Do you recommend any of the shonen? Are any of the sport, competition, or collecting anime good intros? Maybe Pokemon for chibis and Hikaru no Go for older kids? What's a good starter manga? Oh and what would appeal to folks into Lovecraft? Maybe Pet Shop of Horrors?

I suppose for shonen style anime I would recommend History's Mightiest Disciple Ken'ichi.  It is a pretty popular anime about a weak boy who wants to become stronger so he can protect the ones he cares about.  It is mostly action, school life, martial arts, and comedy.  There is a bit of boing, but it is mostly tasteful, and not overdone, as in some other anime I can name.

I suppose I could also recommend Ranma 1/2, but it does have lots of brief nudity.  I suppose you would have to determine whether or not your audience should view it.

For sports anime I have a few I like.  The top of my list is the one I showed at the Halloween Party, Cross Game.  It is mainly about baseball, but I suppose you could argue that it is a romance drama about two families and how each of them handle the tragedy that occurred in the first episode.  Another good baseball anime is Princess Nine.  It makes me think of the live action film A League of Their Own which I am sure it is based off of, about an all girls baseball team that wants to play at the Koshien.  An anime that is similar is Taishou Yakyuu Musume (Taisho Era Baseball Girls), which is also about an all girl baseball team, but occurs in the 1920's.  It has a lot of good historical references in it, including the introduction of the "sailor fuku".  An interesting look at pre WWII Japan.

If you are interested in race car driving I would recommend Capeta.  It starts with go-Kart racing and works up to Formula I race cars.  A very interesting look at the world of professional racing.

For those who like mahjong, you may take a look at Saki.  I have not watched the entire series, but it is sort of fun.  I still find it hard to follow all of the rules though.  May not be a good choice for a first time viewer.

I am not a fan of horror and gore.  I tend to like vampire anime, but I steer away from most of the suspense and dark psychological thrillers.  I really have nothing to recommend on that level.

An interesting anime, that may be worth noting, is Figure 17.  This is a unique anime on some levels.  I don't know of any other anime that had hour long episodes.  It made you think you weren't getting your moneys worth when you bought the DVD's until you realized that each episode was twice as long as what you normally watch.  The story tends to run slowly, and then hit you with a fast paced bit of action, then go back to being slow again.  You really have to watch this one to understand why I like it.  It is just so "different" from everything else, I enjoy watching it, the scenery of Hokkaido is beautiful, and the time really seems to fly by.   ;D
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 08:40:00 pm »
Wuntvor, can't you learn to teleport before Friday at 3:30pm and just bring your encyclopedic knowledge to my & Guy (Prinz Eugen's) panel at Orycon, then teleport home in time for Anime Friday? :D

Seriously....I'd so lure you there if I could.

I remembered what I was going to recommend to folks who like Lovecraft. Yami no Matsue. Because my pal Hunters_spirit's fanfic of such (definitely adult albeit not erotica) still gives me shivers.