Author Topic: Favorite FANTASY Anime & Manga/Manwha?  (Read 3701 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Favorite FANTASY Anime & Manga/Manwha?
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:49:47 am »
What are your favorite anime and manga or manwha that you feel fall into the category of fantasy?
What do you see as any subcategories of this genre, and the best examples (or most famous examples) of each?
If you were trying to introduce anime and manga to someone who so far has only been exposed to western animated fantasies (Disney & Pixar fare, let's say), to which series, films, OVA, manga/manwha, doujinshi, etc. would you refer them to convince them there is equal or superior fare out there from Japan & Korea?
Thanks!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Re: Favorite FANTASY Anime & Manga/Manwha?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:50:26 pm »
Escaflowne, Scrapped Princess, Fushigi Yugi, Twelve Kingdoms, Story of Saiunkoku (sic?), Moribito, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit.

Spirited Away! My most favorite Ghibli film. Not that I think Howl's Moving Castle is chopped liver.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:29:53 pm »
Thank you! I admire Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:32:41 pm »
If you were trying to introduce anime and manga to someone who so far has only been exposed to western animated fantasies (Disney & Pixar fare, let's say), to which series, films, OVA, manga/manwha, doujinshi, etc. would you refer them to convince them there is equal or superior fare out there from Japan & Korea?
Thanks!

I would start with the Studio Ghibli films like Totor, Spirited Away, and the like.
They are kind of the Disney equivalent in Japan.

If they are fans of Lion King, then you can show them Kimba the White Lion...?

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:44:25 am »
Thanks!

I would start with the Studio Ghibli films like Totor, Spirited Away, and the like.
They are kind of the Disney equivalent in Japan.

If they are fans of Lion King, then you can show them Kimba the White Lion...?
I haven't seen Ponyo yet. For those who have, can you say to a parent &  chilld, "If you like 'The Little Mermaid', you'll like 'Ponyo'"?

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 04:19:44 pm »
I haven't seen Ponyo yet. For those who have, can you say to a parent &  chilld, "If you like 'The Little Mermaid', you'll like 'Ponyo'"?

Hmmmmm... IMO, it really depends on the parent and child. There are definitely some similarities, but it relies heavily on scenery rather than storyline. And it's very much a story about children, rather than teenagers. I'd think young children would like it, but older kids would be embarrassed and consider it a "little kids' movie".
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 07:24:52 pm »
Which probably means I'd like it. I'm sappy that way.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 07:33:58 pm »
The little mermaid + the cuteness that Totoro had = Ponyo.
Need i say more? xD

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 07:36:34 pm »
Sounds adorable. *Adds to mental list for future rentals*