Author Topic: Artist Alley Information -- 2011  (Read 211432 times)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Re: Artist Alley Information -- 2011
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2011, 09:54:20 pm »
I still just want a jump on it in general. If nothing else just to stop worrying about it.

I trust Jen a lot with this. She's run AA for the past two years at least and has done a fantastic job of it.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Kizxm

• Cabbit
    • tum tum
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2011, 10:24:12 pm »
Haha man, con nerves~~

@lilineko, yay early stalkers!! haha we were to your right c: it was our first time selling though, so our booth wasn t that memorable. Way awesome c: I expect to see something as fine as I did last year ok? Loved ittt, do you have a facebook I have a picture of you that i took up there

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 02:29:29 pm »
I wish there was a nail biting emoticon... *mm* haha, that's my attempt  :D

Offline Inky Brushtail

• Cabbit
    • Inky @ DeviantArt
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2011, 03:19:53 pm »
Oh geez, you guys scared me adding another page to the topic. When I last checked yesterday we were still on page 3. I thought something might have happened there for a second. :C

Offline Kizxm

• Cabbit
    • tum tum
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2011, 10:16:29 pm »
hey guys, just finished filling out AA registration for AX, and wow. It s actually ridiculous how much more... Complex, they ve made their whole system.
Super glad that K con is here and so user friendly, for those who haven t ever sold before this is definitely the place to start.
and also super stoked for tables opening soon eeee~

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2011, 10:32:21 pm »
I was like...prepared for whatever would happen once Sakuracon ended for the AA at Kumo.
But was of dissapoint. I hope there's something soon.

Offline Jen-Jen-rose

• Oni
    • http://Jen-Jen-Rose.deviantart.com
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2011, 02:18:50 am »
Ahh I keep checking here everyday to see if there's an update of some kind. xD'
I've never been in an Artist Alley before, and I'm anxious to try and become a part of it. ;v;

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2011, 11:27:38 am »
Ahh I keep checking here everyday to see if there's an update of some kind. xD'
I've never been in an Artist Alley before, and I'm anxious to try and become a part of it. ;v;
Me too! I don't know what to expect, so I just keep checking. Last year was my first year at kumoricon even though I've loved anime forever, and I was so inspired by artist's alley, I've been plotting my creations ever since!

Offline SandPuppeteer

• Sailor Scout
    • @Deviantart
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2011, 02:48:13 pm »
Nail-biting on the forum rarely gets anything moving. Has anyone actually contacted the people in charge via email?

If no one has, I will.

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »
Nail-biting on the forum rarely gets anything moving. Has anyone actually contacted the people in charge via email?

If no one has, I will.
I emailed jen a couple days ago, she hasn't gotten back to me yet. She's probably busy working out the final details.

Offline SandPuppeteer

• Sailor Scout
    • @Deviantart
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2011, 07:47:13 pm »
Hopefully word gets back to someone soon.

Honestly though, this was going to be my first year having a table at KumoriCon, but this does not bode well for their organizational process. And it makes me question if I even want to attempt it.

A non-anime convention I attend in April wrapped up the week before SakuraCon. In a few weeks, they will have sign ups for 2012 tables posted. They are a lot smaller than Kumoricon, as well. AND they've already moved to the convention center.

My biggest irritation at this delay is that the artist alley page says to put off buying a badge. Two stages of pre-order discounts have passed. If we don't get a table, then we'll have to pay more than if we just bought a badge back in December and decided to not try for a table. Pretty much just "Oh, so sad, you didn't make it....now give us 20 more dollars."

Offline Inky Brushtail

• Cabbit
    • Inky @ DeviantArt
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2011, 09:55:48 pm »

Honestly though, this was going to be my first year having a table at KumoriCon, but this does not bode well for their organizational process. And it makes me question if I even want to attempt it.

A non-anime convention I attend in April wrapped up the week before SakuraCon. In a few weeks, they will have sign ups for 2012 tables posted. They are a lot smaller than Kumoricon, as well. AND they've already moved to the convention center.

My biggest irritation at this delay is that the artist alley page says to put off buying a badge. Two stages of pre-order discounts have passed. If we don't get a table, then we'll have to pay more than if we just bought a badge back in December and decided to not try for a table. Pretty much just "Oh, so sad, you didn't make it....now give us 20 more dollars."

The convention I've gone to in past years opens up their registration around the same time every year, and announces the date at least a few months in advance. I agree, I'm not feeling entirely confident about this con. :/

What was the name of the small con you went to, if you don't mind sharing?

Offline Kizxm

• Cabbit
    • tum tum
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2011, 11:03:36 pm »

Well as for the badge price, when you get a table you get like 2-3 badges at reduced price of $25, if you get a table all that will be pretty clear in the contract.
and as for kcon being disorganized I highly disagree.
Jen said after sakuracon, and it s only been a week. Patience is a virtue. As well as that as far as the registration process and such kumoricon is very organized, there are pretty clear lines on what you have to do and when you have to do it. I m also in the process of signing up for AX the biggest con in the US and frankly I find their organization very thrown about.
I m also sure kumoricon has it s reasons why they aren t in the convention center.
it s all a matter of patience c:

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2011, 11:07:12 pm »
Yeah, I was kinda nervous too about not getting a table and having to pay more, when otherwise I would have pre-registered in december, but hopefully it is worth it and I end up with a kick ass booth!  ;D

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2011, 11:09:40 pm »
also: if jen does write me back I will let everyone know what she says, but my guess is she's probably being emailed by quite a few people and will let us all know at once.  :)

Offline SandPuppeteer

• Sailor Scout
    • @Deviantart
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2011, 01:00:58 am »
Well as for the badge price, when you get a table you get like 2-3 badges at reduced price of $25, if you get a table all that will be pretty clear in the contract.
and as for kcon being disorganized I highly disagree.
Jen said after sakuracon, and it s only been a week. Patience is a virtue. As well as that as far as the registration process and such kumoricon is very organized, there are pretty clear lines on what you have to do and when you have to do it. I m also in the process of signing up for AX the biggest con in the US and frankly I find their organization very thrown about.
I m also sure kumoricon has it s reasons why they aren t in the convention center.
it s all a matter of patience c:

At this point it is not a matter of patience, and you have missed my point entirely.

Maintaining an artist table and having enough product to attract people takes time and rather large amount of planning. Especially if fitting in several cons. It's now getting down to where it's not worth it to wait because add the time of the review process and the chance you might not even get a table, and suddenly you're scrambling to get everything ready in time. If I want a banner or high-grade prints, I need to get them submitted well before August. As I said, it's not about patients. It's about time constraints. Deadlines.

And as for the money thing, I know full well that you get badges as part of your table. It's standard. What I was referring to was that back in December, I could have picked up a badge for $30, only five bucks more than those that come with the table. But they're telling us to wait. So they were $35. But that date passed as well. Now they're $40. Yes, it's only ten dollars more. But it feels like being squeezed for every last penny when they TOLD us to hold off.

You can be a crusader for individuals behind this con. But I lost all faith in the committee as a whole when I was stuck in a sweaty parking garage with screaming idiots for over 3 hours to show my pre-mailed badge and get made official, while friends who were registering at the convention itself got through their line in under an hour.

My entire point is that time is running out and this should have been up and running months ago.

Offline scream aim fire

• Cabbit
    • @deviantart
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2011, 02:01:02 am »
there's no point complaining about how quickly things are, or are not moving along, though.
every convention does things at its own pace; just because one has tables ready a year in advance means nothing.
one of the biggest cons in america just recently opened aa registration, less than two months before the convention.

it's only been a week since sakuracon, and it was only said that registration would be up some time after, not necessarily immediately.
as it seems, they're making a lot of changes to the aa this year as well, which means it will take more time than usual to get everything organized.
kumoricon tables have, in my memory, always opened up sometime in early-mid spring.
while it is a bit later than usual, i think it's completely understandable.
there are still over 4 months until the convention, more than enough time for any printing to be done.

if you're not pleased with the convention or how it's being run, then don't bother with it.
i've been next to people in the past who did nothing but complain about the convention all day.
it's not fun for anyone, and tends to deter customers as well.
there's no point in going if you don't find it enjoyable.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2011, 07:43:47 am »
^

Also, it would probably be a good idea to look for a new printer (and/or get clarification on their file requirements and proofing process) if it takes more than a month to get artwork printed. Off the top of my head, I don't even know of offset presses that would take that long if the customer has all their files print-ready and reviews proofs immediately.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline SandPuppeteer

• Sailor Scout
    • @Deviantart
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2011, 10:06:45 am »
I didn't say it would take a whole month to get the prints back. I just always leave enough spare time after they're returned to have any mistakes fixed. Sure, I could send the prints off on August 15th. Sometimes turn around is as much as two weeks, especially if getting vinyl stickers or some other complicated process done. Get the prints a few days before the convention. Find the box was damaged and everything inside is ruined. So now you have no time to get new prints.

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2011, 12:38:00 pm »
So, Jen wrote me back and said as soon as there's any new info it will be posted on the site.

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »
Sounds good : D
This is my signature. Bathe in its awesomeness. BATHE!!

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2011, 01:23:22 pm »
anyone heard anything new?

Offline SandPuppeteer

• Sailor Scout
    • @Deviantart
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53:22 pm »
Nope. Given what they've said, info will go up whenever they feel like it and not a moment sooner.

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2011, 10:54:52 pm »
I am positive that I will miss it somehow  :P so I keep checking... lurking...

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2011, 07:59:06 pm »
Well, whenever. I'll keep waiting.

Offline Dango!

• Oni
    • Dango Dewdrop
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2011, 01:49:52 am »
Ah, so far it seems there isn't any information of when AA tables go up for sale. < v>;;

Does anyone know a ballpark range of how much a table or half table costs at Kumoricon?

Sorry, this will be my first Kumoricon. ; v;
Come check out our charms (like our Gentlemon)!
Dango Dewdrop

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2011, 08:37:20 am »
Every time you guys make a new page, I get all excited/nervous. ;____;   QUIT TOYING WITH MY HEART. <3

Offline Jen-Jen

• Oni
    • Jen-Jen's dA
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2011, 02:08:06 pm »
Every time you guys make a new page, I get all excited/nervous. ;____;   QUIT TOYING WITH MY HEART. <3
My feelings exactly. XD'
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:23:08 pm by Jen-Jen »

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2011, 02:37:53 pm »
wooh! frightened me for a second there...

Offline SandPuppeteer

• Sailor Scout
    • @Deviantart
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:46 pm »
Does anyone know a ballpark range of how much a table or half table costs at Kumoricon?

That's exactly what I'd like to know!

I emailed them and the only quote I got for anything was that info MIGHT be available at the end of the month. No actual date was given, so I'm going with the whole vibe used on video game releases. I'm not holding my breath until I see the product.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2011, 09:22:25 pm »
I'm not speaking as mod or as staff here, only as myself... but while I don't believe they would consciously discriminate on this basis, it can't exactly help to make repeated derogatory comments about the people who decide who gets in this year. Whether or not you believe they should open the decision process sooner, they're still the ones who have to make the decisions.

Just my two cents.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2011, 10:21:47 pm »
Dango:Last year, the table cost for AA was $80 and it included one pass for 3 days. It's been something around that price range for the past couple of years, I think, so I don't think it'll be shooting up too far past that amount.

While I'm excited for news on when table applications will become available, I think it's best to just be patient. Staff did say they were trying something new this year with the registration process for AA, so I bet it's just taking them a little longer to get stuff sorted out. Information will become availalble when it's available, so I don't really see the point in hurrying them. I'm sure Kumoricon staff is just busy with everything; once you consider it, it's actually a lot of work to put things like this together. So Imma just sit here and wait o3o~ lurking~

cosplay 2011

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2011, 12:05:22 am »
I'm not speaking as mod or as staff here, only as myself... but while I don't believe they would consciously discriminate on this basis, it can't exactly help to make repeated derogatory comments about the people who decide who gets in this year. Whether or not you believe they should open the decision process sooner, they're still the ones who have to make the decisions.

Just my two cents.

My thoughts exactly. Jen's been head of AA for the two times that I've been there, and she's done a fabulous job. I would like to think that because of that I know her well enough to say that because it's not up yet, that means that something happened or something was delayed. She'll work it out.

That's my two cents for the jar, though.

Offline Dango!

• Oni
    • Dango Dewdrop
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2011, 03:08:35 pm »
@Chiroyo: Really? :O That's so cheap! Thanks for the info. <3
Come check out our charms (like our Gentlemon)!
Dango Dewdrop

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2011, 08:21:31 am »
@Chiroyo: Really? :O That's so cheap! Thanks for the info. <3

:3 yup, you're welcome. I think it might increase a bit this year, but I don't think it'll be increasing too much.
cosplay 2011

Offline Airafleeza

• Cabbit
    • My tumblr
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2011, 02:45:42 pm »
I wonder if there will be more tables available this year. Does anyone know anything about this, like was it said and I totally just flew over it? >_<;

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2011, 09:15:18 pm »
The spaces this will be considerably smaller then in past two years.

I don't know if this means there'll be less tables, but there's definately going to be less space o.o
cosplay 2011

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2011, 11:47:09 pm »
From my understanding it's slightly more tables with less space. I could definitely be wrong.

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2011, 03:34:19 pm »
From my understanding it's slightly more tables with less space. I could definitely be wrong.

oh, right ^^' sorry, I forgot where that was said. It'd be nice, if there were more tables, even if space is forfeited for it.
cosplay 2011

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2011, 09:50:02 pm »
I don't have a lot so I don't require a lot of space. I want a fancier table than years past, you know, with an actual attempt at display and whatnot, but we'll see what happens.

What would you guys use to decorate your tables?

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2011, 07:37:13 am »
Christmas lights! :3

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »
o.o pictures. I actually didnt' do a lot of decoration on my table since I got confirmation for it literally the day before con x'D
I used metal grid locker shelves to create displays for the keychains I had, but I really want to do something better this year :3
I think a lot of people hang stuff like prints, hats, etc. from strings tied to the pipes above them.
cosplay 2011

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2011, 10:52:59 pm »
Chiroyo, I think I remember you saying that you got yours last minute, actually. Your display wasn't bad at all! I didn't even have locker crates. Haha. That's going to change.

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2011, 07:41:31 am »
And prints... yeah. XD We were going to hang our plushies from the top, too.

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2011, 11:11:32 am »
I'm really excited, I hope I get a table, I have some pretty awesome stuff :) but I also just want to get to know some of you guys and put some faces to the posts

Offline MimiMinTan

• Oni
    • My deviantART
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2011, 10:09:28 am »
I'm so excited; Kino and I are hoping to get our first table this year. Of course, it seems we all are, haha!~

I tried two years ago by checking the Artist Alley page on the site; it kept saying "Not taking entrants yet".
Then when it said it was open, and that nobody had been added to the list yet, I immediately e-mailed them..
only to get "Sorry, we're full" as a response /sob

I kind of wish I knew about the forum! xD

Are Christmas Lights allowed? I believe Kino said you can get an outlet if you pay extra.
← omg this forum has marquee *happy tears* .+*+:.

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2011, 02:19:40 pm »
xD lol that happened to me last year. Cept I ended up getting put on the waiting list, and against my expectatations, got a table o.o

Last year they had outlets for an additional $30 =P
cosplay 2011

Offline JUNKO

• Oni
    • Junktastic.net
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2011, 03:55:40 pm »
I might have missed it somewhere, but where do I sign up for the e-mail list?

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2011, 07:13:56 pm »
Do you think we're allowed to plug in a power strip? <_< It would be considerably more worth it if we had more than one outlet to use lol OTL

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2011, 07:39:32 pm »
I might have missed it somewhere, but where do I sign up for the e-mail list?

There's a sign up for an email list?