Author Topic: Artist Alley Information -- 2011  (Read 211984 times)

Offline MimiMinTan

• Oni
    • My deviantART
Re: Artist Alley Information -- 2011
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2011, 12:03:14 pm »
Do you think we're allowed to plug in a power strip? <_< It would be considerably more worth it if we had more than one outlet to use lol OTL

And if we do use a power strip, are we allowed to share it? xD; that seems like it'd be very helpful.
← omg this forum has marquee *happy tears* .+*+:.

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »
ugh, I have butterflies in my stomach, every week that goes by I get more nervous about getting a table.
Does anyone have any idea of what info we'll need to apply this year? I know it's getting changed a bit to not be first come first serve, which makes me think we'll have to submit examples of our work perhaps? I know some fairs and festivals require a full list with pictures of everything you plan to sell, I'm wondering if I need to have everything done before applying. anyone know?

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:27 pm »
Nope. All I know is that things are being conducted differently this year because of the mad rush that happened last year, and that's it. We're all in standby until the website gets up and running. We can't do anything until then.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2011, 02:35:01 pm »
I might have missed it somewhere, but where do I sign up for the e-mail list?

There's a sign up for an email list?

As far as I know, there's no email list o.o
And no clear information yet as to the application process.
cosplay 2011

Offline SandPuppeteer

• Sailor Scout
    • @Deviantart
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2011, 07:24:38 pm »
Last year they had outlets for an additional $30 =P

That's a little extreme. Were they running gold-plated extension cords to your table or something?

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2011, 09:56:06 pm »

That's a little extreme. Were they running gold-plated extension cords to your table or something?

D: it seemed okay to me. We WERE in a parking garage, so I thought the price was quite decent. I imagine it's kind of hard to supply power outlets in a parking garage.
cosplay 2011

Offline JUNKO

• Oni
    • Junktastic.net
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2011, 11:48:22 pm »

Outlets at SakuraCon are $90+ if I remember right. $30 sounds like a sweet bargain.

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »
Holy crap! ...Well, since we're going to be in a hotel (hopefully) I'm sure they won't even be $30, seeing as though there are actual walls... everywhere... XD;
This is my signature. Bathe in its awesomeness. BATHE!!

Offline Threnodi

• Oni
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2011, 12:37:34 pm »
I tried to get an outlet at Sakura Con-- they opened up the power cover in the floor plugged in an extension cord and told us it was 80$ to tap into it. o_O So yeah 30$ sounds a lot better in comparison-- I hope the hotel won't charge more because they know they can. Even so...if we're allowed to just pay once as a group and use a power strip to share that wouldn't be so bad. Especially if the people who needed power were all nearby. : )

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2011, 07:39:05 am »
An outlet within an outlet within an outlet

Offline HamstaPowah

• Cabbit
    • Hamsta Powah
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2011, 10:35:44 am »
95 days until the convention...

I know registration is difficult process, and I don't want to burn any bridges...

But does anyone have any idea when we are able to register? Its getting harder and harder to plan out everything and make sure we have time to get our things together...

I want a table as much as the next artist, but I fear getting everything in order, especially when registration isn't a first come first serve basis, I do appreciate it's not going to be a open and closed door, where the first 100 get a shot. But if it's an open registration or one by lottery for position I fear further waiting for that to be sorted, and tables to receive solid names.

I'm sorry if I sound like nails on a black board, but at this point I'm starting to sweat my deadlines and I'm not sure what to tell my artists.

Any information on any time schedule would be greatly appreciated.

Please and Thank you

~LM

Offline seshetaxhikaru

• Sailor Scout
    • my random blog- Life Affairs
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2011, 01:15:37 pm »
For those of you who have done this in the past before, I was wondering if there was a rule on what you can sell? For example, I know at saturday market you have to have items approved and you can only sell 1 type of an item, ie. you can sell perfume but not perfume and t-shirts (this was a while back, could be different now).

Are we allowed to sell more than one type of thing? Are we allowed to set up our tables the way we want? Is there some place that I can read about the table rules for years past? Do all items have to be pre-approved before set up? Do all items have to be anime/manga related?

I understand that things haven't been finalized yet for this year. As this would be my first year doing anything like this I was wanting to get a little more info on past years so that I could get a better idea of how it works.

Thanks so much!
I'd rather be a first rate me, than a second rate someone else.

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2011, 05:04:40 pm »
For those of you who have done this in the past before, I was wondering if there was a rule on what you can sell? For example, I know at saturday market you have to have items approved and you can only sell 1 type of an item, ie. you can sell perfume but not perfume and t-shirts (this was a while back, could be different now).

Are we allowed to sell more than one type of thing? Are we allowed to set up our tables the way we want? Is there some place that I can read about the table rules for years past? Do all items have to be pre-approved before set up? Do all items have to be anime/manga related?

I understand that things haven't been finalized yet for this year. As this would be my first year doing anything like this I was wanting to get a little more info on past years so that I could get a better idea of how it works.

Thanks so much!

http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=12759.0
= P last year's FAQ thread, if that helps. We have been able to sell more than one type of thing in the past. Table set-up is usually discussed with the staff, but last year I saw some tables turned into more of a walk-in than a stop-by--the-table shop. Last year, items were not preapproved to my knowledge, but you did have to list what you were going to sell on the application form. Items were not strictly bound to anime/manga-- there was some video game art, various popular internet meme-related things, handmade Japanese-style crafts, etc.
cosplay 2011

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2011, 11:38:51 am »
They did say that spaces were considerably smaller this year (not that anyone NEEDS a space 10 feet by 10 feet--that's huge!). And I guess that's a yes to the extensions. : D

But wow, registrations opened then closed in 12 hours? I hope they've improved the system a little. So how does the contract thing work? Do you sign up online, or do you have to print out a form and mail it in...?

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »
They did say that spaces were considerably smaller this year (not that anyone NEEDS a space 10 feet by 10 feet--that's huge!). And I guess that's a yes to the extensions. : D

But wow, registrations opened then closed in 12 hours? I hope they've improved the system a little. So how does the contract thing work? Do you sign up online, or do you have to print out a form and mail it in...?

They're changing the system this year, so I'm afraid I don't know yet =/ But last year, you sent in an email requesting a contract and then you filled in and turned in the contract.
cosplay 2011

Offline HamstaPowah

• Cabbit
    • Hamsta Powah
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2011, 07:21:39 pm »
94 or so more day :(

I'm more nervous now than I was waiting for Sakura con to end...

*continues to camp on sites forums*

~LM

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2011, 08:09:19 pm »
We've got a lot of stuff to get done over the summer (SO BUSY URGH). Jewelry, plushies, prints, blah, and oh my goodness, only 3 months to prepare! I'm kind of reluctant to get started (even though I already have, orz) on making everything in case we can't grab a table in time. Thumbs up, right? :'D

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2011, 12:07:48 am »
94 or so more day :(

I'm more nervous now than I was waiting for Sakura con to end...

Me, too. Now I'm really starting to wonder what's going on.

Offline SandPuppeteer

• Sailor Scout
    • @Deviantart
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2011, 12:47:07 am »
The email I got stated "I am just waiting a few more details and currently planning to open up after those have been ironed out, but definitely by the end of this month and no later." And that was at the start of May.

Take it for what you will.

Personally, I've decided it's not worth the wait and I'll be setting up shop a month later at Orycon instead. Good luck to anyone else willing to wait until the last minute for a table at Kumoricon.

Offline Saiyusa

• Cabbit
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2011, 04:45:59 am »
I am glad I've had a chance to read through all this. It should help me feel more prepared for next year. I actually didn't know you had to pay for a table XD I'm sure $80 must be cheap compared to other cons from what I've read but it's still a little spendy to me (compared to $0 of course ha) so I guess I am hoping to win that darned mascot contest XD That would solve all the problems wouldn't it?

Anyway, I did want to ask because my friend and I are hoping to eventually have our own booth and I wanted to know if we were allowed to, in addition to our art, make to sell our own edibles? There is one in particular that I have not seen at the con and I find it amazing that no one has made it to sell at a con yet. I feel like it should be still somewhat within what would be considered "Artist Alley", culinary being an art an' all ;3 But I am expecting that there would be some constraints or regulations to abide by if it is even considered. As I recall, only vendor food is ever sold at con (pocky, ramune, ect.) I would really like this to be an option and explore any avenues that might make this possible before getting a straight 'NO' ^^; If possible of course. Rules are rules at the end of the day but I would like it to be considered.
Why yes. I did draw that myself. How could you tell? I'm sorry too.

Offline Daws

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2011, 10:52:02 am »
We've got a lot of stuff to get done over the summer (SO BUSY URGH). Jewelry, plushies, prints, blah, and oh my goodness, only 3 months to prepare! I'm kind of reluctant to get started (even though I already have, orz) on making everything in case we can't grab a table in time. Thumbs up, right? :'D
I know what you mean, I've been buying supplies and plotting designs somewhat all year, I'll be pretty bummed if I don't get a table to put it all in. I'll just have a bunch of lonely anime stuff in my house :(
Must try to stay positive!  ;D

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2011, 12:06:26 pm »
I think you have to have a special food handler's permit in order to sell food... I'm really not sure how it works out XD;; Thing is, if we don't get a table, I'm sure some of you would be willing to share, amirite? < u <

Offline Caporushes

• Cabbit
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2011, 12:11:11 pm »
Getting a little close to when people would need to start preparing merch etc for this-- any more info on when table reg will be open? : /

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2011, 01:11:56 pm »
Thing is, if we don't get a table, I'm sure some of you would be willing to share, amirite? < u <

Totes def! (totally, definitely) XD

I think I might have said this earlier, but if I get a table I am totally going to share 8D   ^o^

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2011, 02:30:18 pm »
You know, I would try to e-mail Jen, buuuut... I'm sure she probably has tons of e-mail at the moment so I don't want to burden her even more. Seriously though, I can't just get everything together at the last minute like some had to do in years past--There's stuff I have to make, and spend hours making them. So at least an update on the details would be nice, if nothing else. I wonder if she got hit by a car? ._.;;;

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2011, 02:45:07 pm »
You know, I would try to e-mail Jen, buuuut... I'm sure she probably has tons of e-mail at the moment so I don't want to burden her even more. Seriously though, I can't just get everything together at the last minute like some had to do in years past--There's stuff I have to make, and spend hours making them. So at least an update on the details would be nice, if nothing else. I wonder if she got hit by a car? ._.;;;

D8 that would be horrid.
I understand .-. For now, I'm just going to make my stock, and if I don't get it this year, I'll just keep it for next year. But an update would be nice D: The staff must be so busy D:
cosplay 2011

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2011, 05:34:20 pm »
For the food with tables, I highly doubt it will be allowed.
For food safety, all workers present must have a card for the state they are in (We will be in WA so you must have a WA handlers card) and certain needs must be met. Food is served with gloves or tongs, hair is tied back or in a net, and a hand washing station must be readily available and within a certain distance. This is, obviously, for open foods. Wrapped/pre-packaged foods I am not sure about.
WA state is picky about their food rules and we have had issues in the past at our hydroplane races because these needs were not met.

Plus, you are in a hotel. Hotels are even more picky about food being served inside their establishments. Crumbs, left overs, littering... They have to meet regulations for what is done inside their establishments. On top of that, most hotels have restaurants or at least ones nearby that they are acquainted with. They would much rather have people spend their money there instead of at a stand.

Then you have allergy issues. You would need warning signs of what is in all of your foods. Especially with nuts but sometimes even fruit. You would need to know your ingredients if someone asks you what is in your food because of allergies. And if you don't have it posted and they don't ask...you are liable for not warning them.

I hate to sound like a downer but I don't want you to get your hopes up. :/
Dealing with food is not an easy business when it comes to regulations. My HS wouldn't even let kids bring food for a potluck. All food had to be prepared by the school cooks or by a hired catering company so no one would get sick.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2011, 06:50:51 pm »
I wonder if candy would be okay? Hahaha I think there's no doubt. After all, who doesn't want free candy! (Plus, if you have a sign that says FREE CANDY at your table, of course you'd get more traffic~)

And Chiroyo, the bright side is, if we don't get one... that means we at least made stuff to put on deviantArt! XD;

Offline Saiyusa

• Cabbit
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2011, 09:39:49 pm »
Plus, you are in a hotel. Hotels are even more picky about food being served inside their establishments. Crumbs, left overs, littering... They have to meet regulations for what is done inside their establishments. On top of that, most hotels have restaurants or at least ones nearby that they are acquainted with. They would much rather have people spend their money there instead of at a stand.
Well I know for a fact that they have sold pocky and things like that in the vendors area mostly around all the big plushie items if I remember correctly. So the hotel allows that. I don't mind there being a bunch of regulations. I am not planning on attempting until next year anyway. The more rules the better and I intend on following each one. Plus, having to buy ingredients and make the food, I doubt we would have trouble listing our ingredients. I just don't want the answer to be 'no' because there are too many rules if we can in fact adhere to all of them.

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2011, 09:43:08 pm »
Thank you for your concern, but I was not hit by a car, but I actually spent way too much time driving in one last weekend and I had very sick cat I was trying to attend to and then bury, as well as other professional matters. Not that I am trying to excuse my way out of neglecting to check the forums, but I thought it would be only fair to let you all know that I am not actually slacking off, just got hit with a double dose of RL.

Here is an update and reason I am behind schedule. I had everything pulled together and ready to post by the end of may. I am currently having to wait on contract details to be cleared up before I can open the AA. We are very, very close to this happening.

And pending anything horrible, the system I have put together for this year should be more "fair" across the board in the sense that people will have a chance to apply for a space.

Also, food is not allowed to be sold in the Artists Alley without proper clearance from me.
Food is not allowed to be sold in the Artists Alley.

You are welcome to email me with your questions and I will do my best to address them. Again, I apologize for falling off the timeline I had projected. I was sure that everything was ready to go.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:18:59 pm by Evaldas »

Offline Saiyusa

• Cabbit
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2011, 09:47:03 pm »
And how is one awarded aforementioned clearance? :3 As I mentioned, I have a year to meet the expectations.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2011, 10:19:26 pm »
Well prepackaged goods are normally not that big of an issue. It's the homemade food.

I would love to know about the possibilities though. Being able to make certain candies in the shapes of characters and such would be amazing. Maybe even cupcakes...
I am not against the possibilities and I hope I didn't come off that way. Just trying to shine a little light on what you might be getting into. ^^

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Saiyusa

• Cabbit
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2011, 11:00:14 pm »
I understand. I was aware that there would be uncertainty and a level of resistance to it. I just want to know what the rules are and I would be happy to follow them.

Offline Airafleeza

• Cabbit
    • My tumblr
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2011, 11:11:59 pm »
My friend sold dango at several Kumoricons, but couldn't last year because the monitor people told her the hotel changed the rules and food couldn't be in the artist alley... something like that.
I'm wondering since we're changing locations and whatnot if food might be acceptable in AA.

*prays to Yevon*  *o*

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2011, 11:17:36 pm »
Exceptions were made in the past, but that was for the Exhibitors, not Artists Alley. So that was my mistake in saying that. I like the idea of what you are talking about, but the selling of food in the Artists Alley is not allowed at this point.

Offline MimiMinTan

• Oni
    • My deviantART
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2011, 02:16:56 am »
Not trying to be a rule bender here, but if you wanted to share food, I'm sure you could allow people to have some if they asked for a taste. xD

There would be no selling, and the Artist Alley wouldn't be a good place to do it, but my friend and I once bought a ton of candy at Uwajimaya and just sat down with a huge pile and a sign saying "candy for hugs", haha. I think people would be more cautious that way, because a general thought is "if I pay for it, it's safe".

Of course, I'm not saying there are no rules against this, it's just a thought. I had the thought of making lots of mochi, for us to eat of course but also to share in case someone wanted a bit too. That's one thing I learned in elementary school. xD; "If you're gonna share, bring enough for everyone."

I think a free candy bowl would be acceptable too, wouldn't it? I don't think you're allowed to sell another company's product without their consent, anyway...

I know this is totally strayed, but...yeah xD;
← omg this forum has marquee *happy tears* .+*+:.

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2011, 09:51:18 am »
Have a bowl of prepacked, manufactured candy to share with people is fine. Sharing personal food is fine with friends, but please do not bring free hand-made food with the intent to be giving it out to attendees. Hershey Kisses= great!   

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »
8D applications are finally open~!

On that note, I was wondering that if we had additional artists this year, where would we find the Additional Artist registration form? Is it separate from the Artist Alley Submission form already available, or is it the same?

o.o the price drop surprised me, but made me happy :3
cosplay 2011

Offline HamstaPowah

• Cabbit
    • Hamsta Powah
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »
...I'm never sure with .pdf...

So are we supposed to edit the files and e-mail them back with the changes?
or do we print them and make scans of the pages?
or some other weird smoke and snake summoning ritual to get you the information?

Lost on how to get applications to you the fastest way, would prefer digital, but not sure how XP

Please and thank you for your help :D

~LM

*edit*
P.S. do we need to send both forums in or just the 1 application? or both but only the pages with our writing on them.

Sorry to bug, just detail hashing :3

Thanks you again

~LM
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:52:43 pm by HamstaPowah »

Offline soupisgreen

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2011, 05:54:16 pm »
Dose turning the contract in early increase our chances at all? Just wondering, cause I want to do this up right. I'm trying to diagram out our booth space right now. I had been planning on a walk in booth this year but with the space cut backs it's going to be a trick to fit everything we have in without it looking cluttered. But a defiant hurrah for the pricing. And just to be sure $70 for a full booth 4'x8' comes with 2 badges?

@HamstaPowah you attach the submission form to an email. You don't need to mail the contract in till your chosen.

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2011, 08:45:46 pm »
Alright! Got it in the mail. @.@ And now for the scary wait. Will an email be sent out to let people know that their application was received? I'm always worried about things getting lost in the mail.

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »
Yay! I'm glad you're doing ok, Jen. XD; Was a bit worried there for a minute.

So excited! Good luck everyone!

EDIT: To increase our chances of getting a table, should Kiki and I send in two seperate forms? Or should we just send in one form with the additional artist tacked on there? x_x;; We are getting 2 tables to make the full one, but I'd like to know that we still have the same chance.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:32:26 pm by Kino »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2011, 10:33:55 pm »
I'm tabling with my friend, and I was going to send everything as a packaged deal so it doesn't get confused with anybody else's application. It means I have to wait a bit before sending in things, but that's alright, I guess. Not much I can do about it.

Offline soupisgreen

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2011, 01:05:10 am »
I didn't notice earlier but the PDF the submission form is in doesn't allow me to save the fields. I looked it up and found this http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/8.0/Professional/help.html?content=WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7e0d.html witch makes me think it's the file not me. Is any one else having this problem? Should I just go snail mail?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:06:09 am by soupisgreen »

Offline Saiyusa

• Cabbit
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2011, 03:42:45 am »
Have a bowl of prepacked, manufactured candy to share with people is fine. Sharing personal food is fine with friends, but please do not bring free hand-made food with the intent to be giving it out to attendees. Hershey Kisses= great!   
Clear and to the point. I like that ;D Thank you very much for your answer

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2011, 09:14:07 am »
Okay clarification time! :)

I will look into the pdf problem and update as needed. You can either mail it or email it, either way works for me. If you are having problems with saving the changes (I didn't experiance this problem, so thank you for the heads up), you are welcome to print it and mail it with the agreement form. Submitting early does not adjust your chances. The only thing that will change your chances if you do not get your agreement and submission forms to me by June 30.

Also, I need both forms. I need the signed agreement and the artist submission form for me to review. Having the agreement already filled allows me to turn around the payment request instantly. You are welcome to email me to verify that I received your submission.

If there is a group of artists who will be selling together, please submit only one form. If anyone of you applied with Fanime, they have a group system which I thought was handy to a certain point. Submitting multiple forms for the same group will not improve your chances in getting in.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:22:33 am by Evaldas »

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2011, 10:05:39 am »
Can I email the form as text, with .jpgs of my signature?

Offline Kino

• Cabbit
    • dA
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2011, 11:45:23 am »
If you buy the two tables, will you get 2 badges as well, seeing as though one badge and one chair comes with one half-space? Or do I need to  buy the two tables, and then list an additional artist name with the added cost of $25 for a second badge?

EDIT: Also... will these tables be skirted? x_x
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:54:16 am by Kino »

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2011, 04:02:37 pm »

On that note, I was wondering that if we had additional artists this year, where would we find the Additional Artist registration form? Is it separate from the Artist Alley Submission form already available, or is it the same?

Sorry to repost this question, but I don't think it was answered in your post >.<'
cosplay 2011

Offline Inky Brushtail

• Cabbit
    • Inky @ DeviantArt
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2011, 09:34:30 am »
I have an additional question. If you have some friends who are getting a table too, and you want to be next to each other, should you apply for the 8 foot table together and then split it, or is there a way to request being next to each other?