Author Topic: Maid Squad 2011 - Info and sign ups :)  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Maid Squad 2011 - Info and sign ups :)
« on: October 22, 2010, 12:51:10 pm »
Heya all,

Here is a short FAQ on Maids:
* What if I want to be a butler?
Sounds awesome.  Despite the name, butlers are very welcome.

* I am a guy, can I be a maid? / I am a girl, can I be a butler?
Heck yes! 

* I work many hours as a maid / plan to work many hours as a maid, can I get a staff badge and all the associated benefits?
Yes!  Maids can be volunteer or staff.  However, if you are getting a staff badge for being a maid, you will be expected to help with the Saturday morning reg line, the cosplay line and any time when maids are very needed. 

* I want to be a maid, but don't have an outfit.
Umm...  lemme check on that. 

* I want to join, but want to do something that falls a bit outside of 'maid' or 'butler'.
Well, talk to me.  I wont accept just anything, but am always open to ideas. 

I have not yet filled the Maid Squad Manager position.  I am talking to one person, but that is not set yet.  If you would be excited to be in charge at con, and talking with our maids and potential maids all year long, let me know.

Please comment or PM me the following to get on the list of maids.  (Butlers and Maids wanting to join as staff will need to fill out a staff form.)
Forum name:
Preferred contact method:
Picture or description of outfit:
Why you think being a Butler or Maid would be fun:

Your real names would also be great, but those can sent via PM if you don't want to put them on the forum. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline lover-of-the-pepsi

• Sailor Scout
Re: Maid Squad 2011 - Info and sign ups :)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:57:05 pm »
Forum name: lover-of-the-pepsi

Preferred contact method: Cell or email (i'll pm that to you)

Picture or description of outfit: *maid uniform (pic below)

Why you think being a Butler or Maid would be fun:

I did some volunteer maid squad during kcon '10 and had fun meeting new people because of it.

*I haven't ordered it yet, and may get a different dress. I'll let you know if I change my mind.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 06:00:22 pm by lover-of-the-pepsi »
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline zetetic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:56:42 pm »
As a maid ( I'm trying to get my bf to appy as a butler) how would I be able to help?
Will there be ways to practice before the convention so  that everything is flawless?
How many people are allowed to be maids/butlers?
yeah I'm excited about this. Can't help it. I was wanting to do something like this last year but wasn't sure where or how to ask. It'll be soo cool!
"Only Shinigamis who know the significance of life will be granted Shinigami glasses... The glasses of Life..." (for which without,I can't see a damned thing)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:16:30 pm »
I've been interested in doing this for a while, but I was wondering about something.

If a maid is patrolling say the AMV contest line, and they have a ticket for the event and friends/roommate(s) in the line can they help out and still attend the event/have their friend save them a seat next to them?

Also, staff. vs volunteer maid....
How long does the reg line usually go on Saturdays, and how would that work? Just the number of people signed up do you split hours? What about the other mornings (don't know how reg lines are on those days) there's cosplay contest, AMV contest, what other events do maid's usually work? Dances, balls? (If the ball happens again this year with Ouran I'd be volunteering as a host again for that) And if we did this as staff, would we know in advance when we're supposed to show up and help, or are we "on call" kinda and how would that work? (trying to figure out how I'd go about the rest of the events at the con and changing in/out of my cosplay) Plus if we're staff just for doing the maid thing, do we have to go to all the staff meetings? I live in Salem with no license.

Sorry, lots of questions. xD
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:40:28 pm by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 06:25:22 am »
Forum name: Mew*Haruko
Preferred contact method: PM me on Kumoricon Forums
Picture or description of outfit: I'm working on getting some form of Maid outfit. But, I'm almost positive I will be able to find one.
Why you think being a Butler or Maid would be fun: I love cosplaying maids, and I also love the con. I have too much time on my hands and would think it would be a blast to help people out.

Looks like I will not be getting a dress. ; A ; Sorry...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:52:12 pm by Mew*Haruko »

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:26:23 pm »
Forum name: thesirensings
Preferred contact method: cell (will PM # later) If you need to reach me before then, or if you'd prefer to, just PM me.
Picture or description of outfit: None yet. I'm still trying to find one that fits me, is flattering, and was made to leave the bedroom. -_-lll I will probably be wearing my Teto wig with it, though.
Why you think being a Butler or Maid would be fun: Because it sounds like fun, and I want to spread happiness and joy to the congoers! 8D

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:23:44 pm »
i've been in a maid/butler cafe but its not really "A MAID/BUTLER" cafe-
i'm interested on how this'll turn out
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline zetetic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:36:20 am »
I decided that I'd probably be in my Grell Butler cosplay and (hopefully) have my bf be Sebastian in Butler mode. (characters from black butler)

oh and if you emailed me, sorry. It might've went to spam...
pm me with updates please? I still very much wish to be a member of the squad!
"Only Shinigamis who know the significance of life will be granted Shinigami glasses... The glasses of Life..." (for which without,I can't see a damned thing)

Offline Oni Kitsune

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:12:52 pm »
Okay, hi guys!

So I'm Fox, assistant to the Vice Chair, and I have been given the honor of taking over setting up the Maid Squad this year. If you would like to join maid squad, please send your information via pm to me.

I would like to announce that we now have a manager for the maids! Yay! She will be getting in contact with anyone that has been signed up for the maids soon hopefully, if not, I certainly will.

Now to answer the questions posted to the best of my abilities:

To the question about maids that want to attend the event that they will be working the lines on: You will be able to attend the event once seating has been completed. You will not, however, be able to allow friends/family members to hold you a seat beside them, I'm sorry. Your seating will be up in the VIP section in reserved/marked seating. We need to be able to use all available regular seating for the attendees.

About working dances/balls, I am still awaiting information about whether there will be a ball and the like. Programming is still finalizing their plans about where everything is going to go and what all will be offered this year. Of course there will be a dance, but nothing is written in stone yet as far as a ball is concerned. I'm sure if there is a scheduling issue we can work something out.

The registration line is something still in flux. I am working on how shifts will work with that, that way no one will be working the line all day and it will probably be broken into morning shifts and evening shifts.

Being staff does not mean you will know what you are doing at any given time, unfortunately. Things generally do not finalize until July/August, so I can't guarantee anything. All I can say is we are finally connecting on the squad and we are starting to get things moving. As soon as I can I will update you guys on what we know.

Also, if you choose to be staff please remember you must work the registration line on opening day, the cosplay contest line and any time a maid is needed. You are not required to attend all staff meetings, but you must attend at least one.

I apologize that it has taken this long to answer/update, and I would like to send a thank you for your patience to all that are interested in joining. Please feel free to ask questions. I will do all I can to answer them.
Staff Titles

2008: Cosplay Staff
2010: Chibi Room Coordinator
2011: Chibi Room Coordinator/Assistant Vice Chair
2012: Assistant Vice Chair/Live Programming Manager
2013: Assistant Director of Programming
2014: Director of Programming

Offline kiichain

• Director of Operations
  • Sailor Scout
    • deviantart
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:52:03 pm »
oyos

hi people~ my name is Ange and i'm taking over as maid squad manager this year.

i have volunteered for maid squad the last 3 years and rather enjoyed it, despite the occasional running around. my outfit for this year will be a qi/wa-loli kakashi maid cosplay of my own design. it'll be tough to fill in alex's shoes, but i'll do my best to make this work!

here is a slightly more in depth info on maid squad and what it entails:

maid squad is a group that focuses on making the hectic con experience just a bit more bearable. we are mostly found helping out in lines - passing out water to people waiting in line, waiting in line for people who really need to use the bathroom, finding and leading the lost vip attendees to the front of the line and so on. wherever we are, maid squad is there to help throughout the con.

requirements

1. maid outfit:
-cosplay maid outfits are acceptable (ex: kuroshitsuji/black butler, he is my master, victorian romance emma, kaicho wa maid-sama, etc)
-lolita outfits with aprons are acceptable. if you don't have an apron, we can provide you an apron to use during your shift. if you have an apron, then you will be provided an armband to wear during your shift.(please remember to return aprons/armbands at the end of your shift!!!)
-butler outfits are acceptable but preference is for a maid outfit
-color on outfit is ok but do not be super colorful/flashy (*exception is a grell cosplay). maid/butlers outfits range from cute to classy but are never outright flashy.
-skirt length must be long enough to not show the underwear, no bare midrift and all other con guidelines on attire appropriateness must be met.
-no weapons while on duty even if it is a prop for your cosplay.
*please submit a reference image of your outfit so that we can let you know if it is appropriate for maid squad or not
*maid squad can sometimes require a bit of running around, so make sure that outfit and shoes will not hinder you

2. it will be required for all maids to attend or go over the yojimbo training. maid squad are all around helpers at the con but they also serve as the most minimal level yojimbo (maid squad are like mall cops while yojimbo are like real cops). it is preferred if you could attend a yojimbo training session but if you can't then a brief rundown will be provided just before or during the con as needed.

general expectations

majority of the shifts revolve around managing lines and help with seating, so you will need to be available at least 15 minutes before actual seating begins (bigger events will have 30 minutes slotted beforehand for just seating; the shift will end when the event begins). better seating will be provided to maids for the event they help out at (so if you help out at the cosplay event, you will have a chance to save yourself a good seat for that event). the other shift will be helping out with registration lines for a set amount of time - roughly 1 or 2 hours (only on the first 2 days of the con until about noon; staff maids will be required to do at least 4 hours working the registration line - it can be done all at once -on the first day- or broken up over the course of the 2 days). a small breakfast snack and/or drink will be provided to maids who help out at registration lines (muffins, granola bars, juice, or milk)

list of shifts (not accurate due to lack of schedule):
registration lines
opening ceremonies
cosplay contest
amv contest
kumori ball
concerts
cosplay chess
charity auction
closing ceremonies

we will also need your cell phone # if you are doing maid squad for sure. this is the only way maid squad can communicate with eachother. more specifics will be ironed out as we get closer to the con.

we are always in need of volunteers!! if you or anyone you know might be interested, please contact fox (Oni Kitsune). there can never be enough maids and even if you are able to help out with only one shift, that is more than enough. you are also able to sign up as a staff maid (must be done before the con) to which you will have certain staff privileges, but you will be require to be on-call throughout the con and do a 4hr minimum shift in the registration lines.

see you at kumoricon! (/^o^)/

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 11:08:13 pm »
what about a designed maid/butler costume???
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline kiichain

• Director of Operations
  • Sailor Scout
    • deviantart
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:07:23 am »
oyos

a designed cosplay as in original design? those are fine~ i'm doing my own designed kakashi maid cosplay for myself (still a bit cosplay but its still a unique design).

just keep in mind that the costume can pass as a maid/butler outfit if you are not using something based on an anime/manga. if you have a pic or sketch, could you give me a link to view it?

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »
Im not joining- since i can only afford 1 costume this year- which is my BRK

im just saying some people love to design-- whether it be others' or their own costume-- that including me XDDD

Offline Oni Kitsune

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:03 am »
Designed outfits are fine, like kiichain says, and we don't mind them in the least so long as they meet the requirements of looking like a maid/butler and they fit the con's set rules on dress code. We also like to be able to preview your design to ensure it meets these qualifications so please be ready to submit either a photo or a sketch of what the finished product looks like. And do keep in mind if you are sending us a sketch the finished product must look very similar to what you drew, please.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:12:12 pm by Oni Kitsune »
Staff Titles

2008: Cosplay Staff
2010: Chibi Room Coordinator
2011: Chibi Room Coordinator/Assistant Vice Chair
2012: Assistant Vice Chair/Live Programming Manager
2013: Assistant Director of Programming
2014: Director of Programming

Offline Da-Noggin

• Oni
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »
what are the perks of being a maid/butler, as well as the staff perks, I'm trying to get to K-con this year but not sure how i am gonna communte :(
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:52:18 pm by Da-Noggin »
Cosplays Planned:

- Maes Hughes (FMA)
- Isshin Kurosaki (Bleach)
- Secret Cosplay :D

Offline kiichain

• Director of Operations
  • Sailor Scout
    • deviantart
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:59 pm »
what are the perks of being a maid/butler, as well as the staff perks, I'm trying to get to K-con this year but not sure how i am gonna communte :(

oyos

most of the perks are mentioned in earlier posts but i sent you a pm of a basic summary too. i would like to help in the commuting part but i'm already in a full car for the con.