Author Topic: You know what grinds my gears?  (Read 241563 times)

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
Re: You know what grinds my gears?
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2010, 11:13:15 pm »
YOU KNOW WHAT GRINDS MY GEARS?

Those idiots that say the PS MOVE is a rip off of the wii when it's totally different and how people say Kinect or Playstation is copying one or the other because they both require cameras.

WELL NO. THE PS MOVE HAS EXTREMELY MORE ADVANDED TECHNOLOGY AND GETS IT'S AFFECT DIFFERENTlY. But ofcourse the wii and PS MOVE both do the same thing, except PS Move just does it better.

THE KINECT USES 3 different types of lenses/ camera thing! A normal webcam camera and 2 infered ones. The PS Eye is just a webcam.

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2010, 11:17:18 pm »
I played the Kinect once. It was oh so mediocre.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2010, 11:21:53 pm »
It's a cool thing but would probably get boring later. Plus gaming shouldn't require TO MUCH exercise. Still very cool.

I played the PS move at Frys Electronics, very nice accuracy. Fun also.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2010, 12:10:33 am »
As always, well said, Random. The abortion doctor extreme was on my mind when I wrote the post, but I had hoped to avoid opening the door to sidebar debates. A fun synchronicity: Deists were characterized by a belief in a "clock-maker G-d", who sets things in motion, then sits back and watches the story unfold. As I read your post, I was watching an anime with a character who had already reminded me of a clockmaker G-d: He writes a story to watch it come to life, which is actually propelled in part by clock gears (at least from the spoilers I read). Talk about grinding ones gears....
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:45 am »
O.o....

o.O....

Are you telling me that life is... just one big FAN-FIC???

OH NOES! My character is soooo gonna end up an evil and morally confused pawn of the main antagonist in order to save the lives of the ones I love!

THAT really grinds my gears...
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2010, 07:18:40 am »
Prop. 8: Because I live here and can see day to day the couples who would be married if not for it. The possibility that I would have to go across the country to be legally "Married". Just that last jump between "Civil Union" and "Marriage" that the majority says, "You are a lesser citizen." with.

I have consolation in that I live in a rather open-minded county of the state. I attend a very politically-active school; a good portion of the student body wore purple today "Spirit Day" as to symbolize our support for the GLBTQ community among other things, and that no-one should give up just yet.

Okay, speaking as someone who disagrees with you, lemme explain why I feel the way that I do about it.

Marriage is a religiously based thing.  Many religions are opposed to homosexuality, and the many that aren't have their marriage traditions deigned for a man and a woman.

Do I oppose two people of the same gender being "together"?  No, not really.  Just because I don't agree with these lifestyles, no matter what reasons the "practicioners" may have for living them, it doesn't mean that I believe that they should be denied being legally bound to one another.

An option that I personally favor is the idea that everyone gets a civil union; that'd be where everyone is equal.  Once doing this, those that are religious can still uphold their belief systems while those that don't can still be together on a legal scale.

Another thing that really grinds my gears: lots of attention being focused on college football when it's completely B"C"S. ;D
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2010, 03:39:07 pm »
@ Ally......Heh. If it were, who would you want to have write it, and in what genre, and what fandom?

@ W_O: Er, no. Yegads no. Marriage is not a "religiously based thing". It may be that when you personally enter a marriage, if you do, you will conceive of it that way for yourself. Marriage is a love-based thing. Some people may attribute finding their soulmate to providence; I have no problem with that. Love is spiritual; heck, making love can be spiritual. But to reduce marriage to a religious exercise is just plain not accurate. Plenty of people other than ordained religious figures perform marriages (e.g., justices of the piece, ship captains). Plenty of people who are not religious exercise the right to get married. Oh and BTW, plenty of religions *do not* institutionalize heterocentrism. Pagan, Wiccan, Reconstructionist Jewish, Reform Jewish, Jewish Renewal, Unitarian Universalist, and the United Church of Christ (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/national/05church.html)
are among those supporting same-sex marriages or even actively performing them. This is not even to get into the pre-Western cultures amongst whom same-sex relationships are encouraged, especially prior to entering het marriages.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »
@ W_O: Er, no. Yegads no. Marriage is not a "religiously based thing".

Yeah, it is Ellen.  I'm not even sure how you could think that it's not.  Just because various denominations of different religions are accepting gay marriages now, it doesn't mean that it was always this way.  If it were, then there wouldn't be any arguments on the subject.

Plenty of people other than ordained religious figures perform marriages (e.g., justices of the piece, ship captains).

Justices were originally appointed by kings, such as Richard the Lionheart, who were seen as being ordained by God, in order to ensure that the laws were followed, only later to have the power to wed.  As for the captains, that priviledge was given to them so that they could preside over funerals for their fallen soldiers.  If I remember correctly, they also had to get approval from a king (or a queen too, I'd imagine).

plenty of religions *do not* institutionalize heterocentrism. Pagan, Wiccan, Reconstructionist Jewish, Reform Jewish, Jewish Renewal, Unitarian Universalist, and the United Church of Christ (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/national/05church.html)
are among those supporting same-sex marriages or even actively performing them

I never said that it was; there's also the Greeks, and various eastern beliefs, such as Hinduism, tolerate it, though they don't approve of it.  What I did say was that none of these cultures or religions approved of gay marriages.  Many of them were fine with gay relations, some even encouraged it for various reasons, such as practicing for when they get married.  I've also heard that some of the pre-Islamic Arabs would use it as a form of mental relaxing when the men would go out on hunting or training expeditions, but I haven't seen any official sources on the subject, so I don't know if that's true or not.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2010, 07:50:22 pm »
You are aware, of course, of the irony that if it weren't for gay liberationists, such as the drag queens who rioted against gaybashing and harrassment by police at Stonewall, we wouldn't have a culture embracing your own crossplay, right?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »
I don't see it as being ironic, especially since crossdressing was already somewhat acceptable in mainstream America.  Ten years prior, "Some Like It Hot" came out.  Bob Hope would wear dresses on several occassions during his show in the 50's.  I think "our culture" would still be okay with otaku crossplay, probably about as much as it does now (which I wouldn't call an embracing).

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2010, 09:25:58 pm »
I don't think the government should have anything to do with the word "marriage."  Everyone should have equal rights under the law, call it whatever you want, but don't call it marriage.  If you want to self-identify as "married" then go for it.  But given the controversy surrounding the word and the fact that it does seem to have very strong religious connections, I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Would you rather have equal rights or a word?  "Gay marriage" is a hard term for many people to accept.  I know, I know, everyone should be accepting and so on .. but that's an ideal world.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2010, 09:30:10 pm »
^ Which is why I think everyone ought to get civil unions.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2010, 09:40:06 pm »
To those opposing gay marriage, I would like to point this out:

Section 1 of the 14th amendment to the US Constitution states that:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

I cannot find written proof on the internet that says this other than what my political issues teacher has shown us in class but denying gay marriage violates this amendment BECAUSE marriage is a protected RIGHT under the liberty portion of section one, there is also a right of EQUAL protection. Denying homosexuals the right to marry violates this as well.
REGARDLESS of your RELIGIOUS views OR otherwise, allowing laws like Oregon's Measure 36 and California's Proposition 8 are CLEARLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL as stated in Amendment 14 of the US Constitution.

I apologize if this offends anyone, it was not my intention, but I feel very strongly on this subject.

Also: Calling it anything other than what it is, MARRIAGE, makes it something different. We cannot claim to be country that is for equality and the people if we allow majority factions to smother the rights of others and treat people differently.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:45:37 pm by DemonSpawn »
I miss 2010.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2010, 10:00:51 pm »
You know what grinds my gears? - So much love for YAOI & Yuri, but none for the straight stuff.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2010, 10:07:06 pm »
Just watch tv. There's straight 'love' plastered all over it. And I am in no way a yaoi or yuri fangirl, I must say. I don't know if you were aiming that at me or someone in this thread or in general, but I'm simply an avid fighter against any sort of discrimination.

You know what grinds my gears? The fact that we are all people on the earth, and everyone forgets that. Who are we to judge others? Who are we to tell them who to be with, to marry, or to love?

That was not directed at anyone specific, but the world in general. If we just accepted each other, a lot of the hate would stop.
I miss 2010.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »
Well, my point is that if marriage truly is a religious institution, as so many claim, then the government has no job recognizing marriage and there needs to be a different term for the union of two people.  I think it would be ridiculous to have "marriage" for straight couples and "civil unions" for gay couples.

Gay couples are going to have to fight a battle regardless.  Why make it even more difficult by focusing on a word that stirs up so much strong emotion?

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2010, 10:44:37 pm »
As I said, marriage is defined as a constitutional right, not a religious one. Like I said, I cannot find the exact document we were shown in class where it is defined as such, but this document states that people are given certain rights under liberty.
These rights include marriage, reproduction, and child-rearing among others.
I miss 2010.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2010, 10:58:48 pm »
I'd be curious to know how they defined "marriage" (i.e., strictly between a man and a woman or otherwise) in that case then.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2010, 11:15:19 pm »
I don't think it was specifically stated like that at all. I think the rights were just listed but I'd have to look at it again.
I miss 2010.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2010, 12:01:58 am »
*cough*wearedescendingintoacompletelydifferenttopicandshouldprobablygetbacktowhatgrindsgearsnotgaymarriagedebate*cough*

Sorry, feels like I have a mod in my throat... hate that feeling, but it never seems to go away!

^_^

You know what really grinds my gears? When I get confident about something only to be made to feel insecure about it moments later! Sad!
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2010, 12:25:39 am »
We were just grinding our gears without specifically stating it.  8)

Offline frogger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2010, 12:40:06 am »
You know what grinds my gears? not being able to spell :(

P.S. DemonSpawn i agree 100% with what you said
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:41:14 am by frogger »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2010, 09:36:38 am »
Just watch tv.

I meant when we're at cons or on these forums.  YAOI is heard so much that I'm starting to think that it's an English word, not a Japanese acronym.  Yuri is also popular, but nowhere near as much (at least it looks that way to me).  Why aren't there more people declaring their love for straight stuff?  I just don't get it.

Well, my point is that if marriage truly is a religious institution, as so many claim, then the government has no job recognizing marriage and there needs to be a different term for the union of two people.

Again, everyone should have to get a civil union, for legal matters.  Marriages can preserved their religious ties.

You know what DOESN'T grind my gears?  THE TEXAS RANGERS DEFEATED THE NEW YORK YANKEES!!!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2010, 02:41:44 pm »
@ DemonSpawn: Agreed.
@ Ally: Kudos for the humorous redirect.

You know what grinds my gears atm? Not being able to afford a bike to have gears to grind. But! I just got my childhood roller skates out of storage!

Oh and another gear-grinder: Speckles of mold on white leather roller-skates. Anyone knowing how to fix such, please PM me!

Oh and not being able to afford to be at today's meeting. But! Skipping it makes Orycon more accessible....

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2010, 01:40:48 pm »
You know what grinds my gears atm? Not being able to afford a bike to have gears to grind.

HERE HERE!!!

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2010, 02:17:59 pm »
Jeez I have a bike... somewhere. It's prolly at my friend's house. XD

It grinds my gears when I have to bathe my cat. He gets so angry. :c
I miss 2010.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2010, 09:47:26 pm »
That'd be awesome. My cat sometimes hops in the tub! Try clipping the nails on yours 1st. Today's gear-grinders: gardening clippers that have gone dull, morning glory vines that smothered corn I planted, and burrs hitching rides on my shirt.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2010, 06:18:02 am »
My kitty is declawed (wedidn't do it, he was a stray that showed up on our front porch and pretty much gradually moved in), that's not the problem. The problem is he's my baby and I feel terrible about his panic attack trying to hop out.

I just felt like such a horrible person 'cause he was shaking and trying to get out. :c

Monday mornings grind my gears!
I miss 2010.

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2010, 08:20:47 am »
It grinds my gears when I get preached to at work, or really anywhere. I can understand you're trying to save me, but please.... don't.  Not all who wander are lost; and if I am then this con and forms are awesome to get lost in. ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:42:10 am by Chan_Highwind »
Part of DoNotWant and RPOD

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2010, 08:29:41 am »
^ You mean wander. ;D

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2010, 08:42:55 am »
Part of DoNotWant and RPOD

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2010, 08:46:06 am »
^ Thank you.

You know what grinds my gears?

I'm trying to find a copy of the lyrics to "Yeah, Toast!" and I have yet to find two that are worded the same way.  People need to stop posting guesses and should go with what is actually being "sung" ya know?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2010, 12:58:48 pm »
Aw, poor kitty.
Today's gear-grinder...I only have 3 loads left to move out of my storage unit, but there was this spontaneous hail/windstorm that stopped me in my tracks & made me not want to leave the house!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2010, 06:13:07 pm »
^ YAY!!!

I may have found a solution to my problem...

I just recently found the MySpace of the guy who originally wrote the song; I may be able to ask him directly!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2010, 06:49:51 pm »
It's the little things that grind my gears. Out of butter, just as I am about to start cooking. New and unique places to put dishes and utensils, where I have no clue. Telling me you miss me, but never call so I don't wake you up.

Remembering just as I'm about to leave for work, that the car really needs gas, but there isn't time to get some now. I just set my dog gone glasses down, now where are they! Realizing at step seven, that I forgot to do step three, and have to go back and redo it all.

Finding myself walking into no-win arguments, but was dumb enough to open my mouth anyway.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »
Idiots on Modern Warfare that always get mad for no reason then probably rage quit.

If I had a microphone I would tell them to shuv it up there ***.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2010, 03:35:13 pm »
People who use chopsticks to pretend to drum stuff at school and/or people who hold the sticks the wrong way. Head's up, you arent cool for druming on the floor or bus seats, anybody can do that. And its pizza style!! NOT french fry style.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2010, 03:47:46 pm »
It grinds my gears when I get preached to at work, or really anywhere. I can understand you're trying to save me, but please.... don't.  Not all who wander are lost; and if I am then this con and forms are awesome to get lost in. ;D

Jack Chick of Chick Tracts fame is enough to grind my gears, but turnabout is fair play... let's start printing Haruhi Tracts that you can hand out to them. (^_~)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2010, 04:28:05 pm »
I prolly hold my chopsticks wrong.  Not on purpose, just that I've never tried to learn the "proper" way.  Plus I'm leftie, so I do things weird anyways. D:

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2010, 10:37:48 pm »
Oh I mean drumsticks, not chopsticks. I don't really care if people don't hold their chopsticks right. I don't think there is a right way xD But drumming on the other hand...
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2010, 10:42:08 pm »
You know what grinds my gears? That people still call Kilts "skirts"
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2010, 11:27:44 am »
Ambiguity grinds my gears, especially if it's regarding whether a person is safe or well-intended or not. That can be unnerving.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2010, 07:26:03 pm »

People that drive slow.
Team Koga

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2010, 07:33:30 pm »
It bothers me when people are laaaaattteee. :C
I miss 2010.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2010, 12:33:23 am »
Do you drink them when that happens?
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2010, 12:44:55 am »
Do you drink them when that happens?

hehehehehe

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2010, 03:34:09 am »
@Tofu only sometimes. o3o

There's this cop car just driving up and down my street with his lights on and one loud BEEEEEP every couple mins instead of a full siren. WHAT IS GOING ON??
I miss 2010.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2010, 10:27:52 pm »
^ There Morris code.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2010, 06:59:26 am »
^Do you perhaps mean morse code?
I miss 2010.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2010, 11:00:23 am »
No.  He means Morris Code.  He's this dude.  Totally wacky and zany.  He drives around all hours of the day in a police car, doing single siren blasts and the such.