Author Topic: You know what grinds my gears?  (Read 241561 times)

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
You know what grinds my gears?
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:14:43 pm »
That my life, (and by extension this forum), isn't a musical.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
Re: You know what grinds my gears?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 04:17:16 pm »

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 04:43:04 pm »
You know what grinds MY gears? The fact that wizards and dragons never have, don't, and most likely never will exsist.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 05:18:37 pm »
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Vexenification

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 05:18:38 pm »
what grinds my gears, is the sole fact, that humans cannot fly. Jet pacts and airplanes and helicopters are just... cheating.
Fem!Eleven, Vexen, Animal Crossing
#Richard Brooks was Real

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 05:19:24 pm »
Brb going to work on a forum musical right now.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 05:22:02 pm »
you know what grinds my gears?

That this thread isn't called; "you know what REALLY grinds my gears?"!

:)
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 05:31:17 pm »
You know what really grinds my gears?

People who are unwilling to help themselves and want everyone else to bend over backwards for them.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 05:47:43 pm »
Brb going to work on a forum musical right now.
I must be a tenor.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

oslapedo

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 06:48:55 pm »
Cassi I don't know if you're serious or not but... I would totally help in making a forum musical. I LOVE MUSICAAALS, BU BU BU BU BABEHHH

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 07:07:39 pm »
I want to see a silent film in full color sometime.

And 3D.

We should bring back silent films.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 07:10:33 pm »
You know what grinds MY gears? The fact that wizards and dragons never have, don't, and most likely never will exsist.
Is that so?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatlus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhamphorhynchus_%28animal%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteranodon

Show me a real wizard living/fighting/standing next to a dragon that's not a dinosaur and i'll take back what i said.

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 07:16:58 pm »
Dragons were TOTALLY dinosaur bones that people found before they knew what dinosaurs were, and had to make a guess. And they guessed dragons. HOW ELSE YOU EXPLAIN THE DRAGON MYTH IN LIKE EVERY SINGLE SOCIETY
I do have a wand and full Gryffindor outfit though. Does that make me a wizard? I can go stand next to the T-Rex bones on display at OMSI right now and take a picture, that's kind of close.

But yes, I do definitely wish life were a musical. Life would be better. And showers would probably not have such godawful acoustics. Probably.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 07:22:32 pm »
That my life, (and by extension this forum), isn't a musical.

Be careful what you wish for... what if you got Les Miserables? Works out pretty well if you're Cosette, but otherwise you're just hosed.  ;)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 07:35:01 pm »
Hey man, Jean Valjean is AWESOME and I don't care if I have to be in jail/die, he gets pretty much one of the coolest rivalries EVER. COSETTE IS BORING ANYWAY

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:07 pm »

People who say that the U.S. is some kind of police state and that Democracy is some kind of evil Empire. There's nothing evil Empire-ish about an individual within a reasonable set of rules having the right to decide that they want to succeed or fail based on their own merits without  any government or organization helping or hindering their efforts. America was built on dreamers, thinkers, and doers after all. I grant you this country isn't perfect we have done some bad stuff in the past but we've more than made amends and frankly I think especially in this day and age we're the best thing going.

ANd that's my patriotic rant.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 08:35:32 pm »

People who say that the U.S.S.R is some kind of police state and that Communism is some kind of evil Empire. There's nothing evil Empire-ish about an collective within a reasonable set of rules having decided that they want to succeed with a government helping efforts. U.S.S.R was built on dreamers, thinkers, and doers after all. I grant you that country wasn't perfect they did some bad stuff, but we can more than make amends and frankly I think especially in this day and age, they were the best thing going.

And that's my unpatriotic rant.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 08:41:30 pm »

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 08:45:24 pm »
I LOVE CURB XD
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:46:33 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 08:47:31 pm »
-Looks over Classsy Viking's response rolls eyes and sighs- Whatever Classy Viking.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:20:26 am by Animeman73 »

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 08:55:32 pm »
THAT'S BECAUSE CYE IS. EFFING. AWESOME.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 09:51:39 pm »
Hey man, Jean Valjean is AWESOME and I don't care if I have to be in jail/die, he gets pretty much one of the coolest rivalries EVER. COSETTE IS BORING ANYWAY

This is kinda off-topic, since it's not what grinds my gears, but a close friend absolutely HATES Cosette. You know how the musical has no clear villain, just "tyranny" itself? She says that Cosette is actually the villain: 1) Cosette causes the suffering of almost every major protagonist, and 2) her happiness typically comes at the expense of others.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 09:55:17 pm »
¿Sabe lo que muele mis engranajes?

Las personas que dicen que el México es alguna clase de policía indica y que Democracia es alguna clase de Imperio malo. No hay nada Imperio-ish malo acerca de un individuo dentro de un conjunto razonable de reglas que tienen el derecho de decidir que quieren tener éxito o para fallar basado en sus propios méritos sin cualquier gobierno o la organización que ayudan o dificultan sus esfuerzos. México fue construido en soñadores, en los pensadores, y en los hacedores después de todo. Le otorgo este país no es perfecto que hemos hecho algún material malo en el pasado pero tenemos más que reparamos y francamente pienso especialmente hoy en día nosotros somos lo mejor yendo.

Y eso es mi lenguaje declamatorio patriótico.

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 10:42:54 pm »

This is kinda off-topic, since it's not what grinds my gears, but a close friend absolutely HATES Cosette. You know how the musical has no clear villain, just "tyranny" itself? She says that Cosette is actually the villain: 1) Cosette causes the suffering of almost every major protagonist, and 2) her happiness typically comes at the expense of others.

I would totally, 100% agree with your friend. If Cosette hadn't been in the story things would have gone so much differently, and for the better.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 12:23:19 am »
): I liked Cosette. Eponine was crazy. And not in a good way.

BUT I STILL TOTALLY SHIP COURFEYRAC/MARIUS.

You know what grinds my gears? People who think Russia is still a communist country. And people who don't know the difference between monarchies and empires.

Also, people who deny that war crimes happened grind my gears. A lot.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:25:23 am by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 06:12:00 am »
Re: Classy Viking. (Not personal, just a rebuttal of the topic.)

I visited the Soviet Union in 1982. I cannot describe what a grim, broken-spirited people I saw, and I fully came to understand the fatalistic / nihilistic thread underpinning classic "Russian Humor"

You know what grinds my gears? People who think state-enforced rule over what can and cannot be private property, grinding away under a state-planned command economy, being asked "Who are you and where are you going" by state police every 10 miles, or at anytime in the city - - - can somehow be a good or even a tolerable thing.

You have 0% unemployment, yes, but gov't picks your job and you will be arrested if you quit, fail to show up, or don't work hard enough. See - we have no unemployment, if a factory cannot produce because of no demand, then they make you produce anyways, and store the stuff in out back in the field because one day someone will buy it, we hope. (The audacity of hope!) Then when you run out of materials the police make all of you show up anyway and sweep the floors twice a day - and you haven't gotten paid in weeks. (Neither have the police, btw.) This was known as "the workers' paradise!"

Or that living under Article 58 (hyperlink) can somehow be a good thing.
Wikipedia summary here.

How about sending 20 million of your own citizens to die in gulags. Great fun.
1/4 of my wife's family (in Soviet Lithuania) were arrested and 'disappeared' in 1940 ~ 1944. This is no joke.
In other towns people who just happened to have that same last name were simply arrested.

Writing names down would be evidence of treason, so her elders would recite the names by memory every Christmas Eve dinner so they are not forgotten.
Family name lists can be found today in the archives of the Lithuanian Heritage Foundation in Chicago. We went there on our 5th anniversary.

If YOU ever get 'disappeared' by the government, know that it's not about you**. Their purpose is to terrify (and maintain government fear and control over) all the people still on the outside who knew you - family, classmates, club members, customers. What happened to the man who ran the little hobby train store in the strip mall? Don't ask, you might be next - the person you ask would be afraid of being arrested for 'failure to report a collaborator.'
Arresting one person can keep 25 ~ 50 people silent, obedient to their government, and under control.

Leningrad: A city-full of people and not ONE with a smile. I saw it myself. And you want to live like THAT?!?

** You are 'dead' from that moment on. Completely pwned by The State. The sooner you realize that the easier the rest of your life can be - in prison, in 'citizen re-education work camps,' etc.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:16:49 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 07:53:18 am »
When people dont seem to get a joke.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:43:04 am by Man of the Public »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 10:09:26 am »
When people dont seem to get a joke.
D'oh, you're right. Mis-read it the first time...
Green eggs & moderate embarrassment for me, but I'll still leave the links & info up.

EDIT ADD:

It's like when someone says "I know, let's just kill everyone taller than 5ft 6in!" in a context where everyone knows it's a joke because the severity and outrageousness of the proposed solution is obvious to all. But given how easy it is to spot stuff like "Che" T-shirts around town, it's possible (for me) to imagine that there's a swath of people who don't realize the ultimate extent of the "obey and conform or die" horror they are proposing.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:18:07 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 10:27:50 am »
Okay everyone sorry if I mistook the joke my bad entirely.

Still you know what grinds my gears, BULLIES!!!

In the information age cyberbullying has become  an epidemic in this country. And it's not just happening to Gays and lesbians. it's happening to straight people who dress a certainw way, it's happening to the handicapped, it's happening to special needs students. And the recent suicides of those poor High Schoolers have shown us just how out of control it is. That's why on October 20th I'm asking that everyone here on the forums wear some kind of purple to show support for all those who have been the victims of all bullying.

Having been bullied myself in my past I understand the pain and suffering they're going through. So please everyone on October 20th wear something that's colored purple. And let's send a message that all bullying will not be tolerated, and all differences are to be celebrated.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:26:41 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 10:58:07 am »

I would totally, 100% agree with your friend. If Cosette hadn't been in the story things would have gone so much differently, and for the better.

): I liked Cosette. Eponine was crazy. And not in a good way.

BUT I STILL TOTALLY SHIP COURFEYRAC/MARIUS.

I don't want to drag the thread off topic, but I do want to respond to you guys. New thread here.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:58:56 am by randompvg »

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2010, 12:36:50 pm »

In the information age cyberbullying has become  an epidemic in this country. And it's not just happening to Gays and lesbians. it's happening to straight people who dress a certainw way, it's happening to the handicapped, it's happening to special needs students. And the recent suicides of those poor High Schoolers have shown us just how out of control it is. That's why on October 20th I'm asking that everyone here on the foprums wear some kind of purple to show support for all those who have been the victims of all bullying.

Having been bullied myself in my past i understand the pain and suffering they're going through. So pleae everyone on October 20th wear something that's colored purp,le. And let's send a message that all bullying will not be tolerated, and all differences are to be celebrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax96cghOnY4&feature=feedlik

This video doesn't grind my gears.  But you know what really grinds my gears?  The fact that someone has to say this.

oslapedo

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2010, 01:07:05 pm »
LESS POLITICS, MORE FABULOUS

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 01:07:56 pm »

In the information age cyberbullying has become  an epidemic in this country. And it's not just happening to Gays and lesbians. it's happening to straight people who dress a certainw way, it's happening to the handicapped, it's happening to special needs students. And the recent suicides of those poor High Schoolers have shown us just how out of control it is. That's why on October 20th I'm asking that everyone here on the foprums wear some kind of purple to show support for all those who have been the victims of all bullying.

Having been bullied myself in my past i understand the pain and suffering they're going through. So pleae everyone on October 20th wear something that's colored purp,le. And let's send a message that all bullying will not be tolerated, and all differences are to be celebrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax96cghOnY4&feature=feedlik

This video doesn't grind my gears.  But you know what really grinds my gears?  The fact that someone has to say this.

Thank you for posting this.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 02:16:24 pm »
I'd be lyin' if I said it didn't make me tear up a good bit. ^^;

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »
Reppy after seeing that video it moved me too. So you're not alone in that boat dude.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 06:32:01 am »

In the information age cyberbullying has become  an epidemic in this country. And it's not just happening to Gays and lesbians. it's happening to straight people who dress a certain way ...

... and it happens to people who try to vote for their own beliefs without fear of reprisals.
Let's also think about what we can do to stop the intimidation of, say Prop 8 donors in California:

http://christianexaminer.blogspot.com/2009/02/prop-8-google-maps-and-intimidation.html
http://www.eightmaps.com/

As terrible an example of cyberbullying as I can imagine...

Offline Nando-KiT

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 06:54:27 am »
the fact that i only have an hour to get ready and be out the door in one hour.
It all started with the knee.

mascot art belongs to Elaine Huang and Jacqueline Taylor

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2010, 08:04:00 am »

In the information age cyberbullying has become  an epidemic in this country. And it's not just happening to Gays and lesbians. it's happening to straight people who dress a certain way ...

... and it happens to people who try to vote for their own beliefs without fear of reprisals.
Let's also think about what we can do to stop the intimidation of, say Prop 8 donors in California:

http://christianexaminer.blogspot.com/2009/02/prop-8-google-maps-and-intimidation.html
http://www.eightmaps.com/

As terrible an example of cyberbullying as I can imagine...

Anyone who would anonymously post* such a map without regard for people's privacy has some severe -pathies. It doesn't matter which side they claim to be on, whether they're concern-trolling to "prove how awful the other side is", or whether they're griefing and claim they want to "prove that the other side dishes it out but can't take it".

Trolls, griefers, and bullies aren't truly on anyone's side. The world would be better if they got some professional help, stopped worrying about how other people are living their lives, and started fixing their own.

* - Because I don't want to leave any room for misunderstanding: I'm talking only about the people who posted that map in the first place and didn't have the courage to put their names to it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:42:45 am by randompvg »

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2010, 09:17:10 am »
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2010, 10:50:04 am »
Anyone who would anonymously post* such a map without regard for people's privacy has some severe -pathies.  [...]
Trolls, griefers, and bullies aren't truly on anyone's side. The world would be better if they got some professional help, stopped worrying about how other people are living their lives, and started fixing their own.

* - Because I don't want to leave any room for misunderstanding: I'm talking only about the people who posted that map in the first place and didn't have the courage to put their names to it.

Agreed - including asterisk comments!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:50:25 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2010, 04:06:26 pm »
I find it ridiculous how bent out of shape people get about their beliefs.  Don't get me wrong: I have very strongly held beliefs about things like religion, politics, love, morality, etc.  But if someone disagrees with me?  I really don't care.  It doesn't bother me.  I'm not going to slander them or get bent out of shape to the point that I'm trying to cause them emotional or physical harm!

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
Team Koga

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 06:54:31 am »
Forum musical? I'm in! I dream crossover crack fanfic filk musicals often! "Ouran High School Glee Club" with Nekozawa in the Sue role. "The S.O.S. Band" with Haruhi Suzimiya in the Mr. Shue role: Be careful what you sing about; you just might bring it into existence! Asthma waking me from awesome cosplay dreams no longer grinds my gears when I wake to so cool a concept and a chance to express them!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 05:48:49 pm »
Dragons were TOTALLY dinosaur bones that people found before they knew what dinosaurs were, and had to make a guess. And they guessed dragons. HOW ELSE YOU EXPLAIN THE DRAGON MYTH IN LIKE EVERY SINGLE SOCIETY

One theory behind that is that some types of dinosaurs were still alive when many of these civilizations were starting.

THE NEW YORK FREAKIN' YANKEES!!!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 08:48:02 pm »
Prop. 8: Because I live here and can see day to day the couples who would be married if not for it. The possibility that I would have to go across the country to be legally "Married". Just that last jump between "Civil Union" and "Marriage" that the majority says, "You are a lesser citizen." with.

I have consolation in that I live in a rather open-minded county of the state. I attend a very politically-active school; a good portion of the student body wore purple today "Spirit Day" as to symbolize our support for the GLBTQ community among other things, and that no-one should give up just yet.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:04:39 pm by The_Geek »
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 08:57:11 pm »
You know what grinds my gears? The lack of respect I get. I be quiet for you when you try to sleep, can't you extend the same courtesy?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2010, 02:37:45 pm »
I'm 100% pro equal access to marriage, and several of the longest-term, stablest relationships I know involve two men or two women (and two of them involve two women and one man).
I believe that those who are ordained in a given faith should have the right to decide between which people of which genders (and which number of those people, btw)  they themselves specifically perform marriages, whether I happen to agree with them or not; the government should not be able to compel a priest/imam/rabbi/whatever to perform a ceremony to which they personally object. But at the same time I do not believe religion should be the frame through which the Constitution is presently legalistically interpreted, no matter how much religion may have been central to its initial framing. I do not believe a religious body should be able to declare any nonviolent element of anyone else's life invalid any more than any government body should be able to do so.

All that aside: I do not believe it to be an ethical tactic to reveal someone's home address against her or his will. However, donors to political causes are matters of public record, and if a business or other organization, church, etc., donates to a cause, the contact information for that corporate entity is already public domain. It is not uncommon to post lists of corporate contributors for purposes of boycotts, and I think that is legit.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2010, 04:30:07 pm »
I'm 100% pro equal access to marriage, and several of the longest-term, stablest relationships I know involve two men or two women (and two of them involve two women and one man).
I believe that those who are ordained in a given faith should have the right to decide between which people of which genders (and which number of those people, btw)  they themselves specifically perform marriages, whether I happen to agree with them or not; the government should not be able to compel a priest/imam/rabbi/whatever to perform a ceremony to which they personally object. But at the same time I do not believe religion should be the frame through which the Constitution is presently legalistically interpreted, no matter how much religion may have been central to its initial framing. I do not believe a religious body should be able to declare any nonviolent element of anyone else's life invalid any more than any government body should be able to do so.

Oh man, this totally reminds me what really grinds MY gears: people who say the United States is a Christian nation. That is so amazingly untrue that it's appalling. Many (not all, but a surprising number) of the founding fathers (including but not limited to Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Paine) weren't even particularly religious at all, labeling themselves Deists, which at the time was like saying you're an Atheist now. (Deism is the belief in a god-like being who created the world and the universe, but doesn't care what people do since they don't interfere with the affairs of man-- AKA, an impersonal god, which is pretty against the idea of the Christian god.) They were also pretty staunch about NOT having the US be based on any sort of religious dogma. So for an American to be against something based purely on their religious beliefs ("I'm against gay marriage because God says it's bad!") is so UN-American it's crazy.

Does this rant even make sense? I don't even know.
tl;dr I MAD.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2010, 08:00:35 pm »
All that aside: I do not believe it to be an ethical tactic to reveal someone's home address against her or his will. However, donors to political causes are matters of public record, and if a business or other organization, church, etc., donates to a cause, the contact information for that corporate entity is already public domain. It is not uncommon to post lists of corporate contributors for purposes of boycotts, and I think that is legit.
(For the record, I unequivocally agree with the snipped portion that preceded this.)

I'm pretty sure we're on the same page and I'm just quibbling over wording, but strictly speaking, what I find to be reprehensible isn't the revelation of addresses. As you noted, they're part of the public domain and people could look it up themselves. What I find reprehensible is the unspoken inference that it's okay to use that information to harass people based on disagreement with their beliefs. What other purpose is it likely to serve?

To me, that exists on the same continuum (though not nearly as extreme) as the severely *-pathic individuals who post the home addresses of abortion doctors and then gleefully post their murders as though it were an accomplishment.

(* was being used in this instance as a wildcard character, rather than to indicate a footnote. Insert any Greek prefix and you're likely to be correct.)

So for an American to be against something based purely on their religious beliefs ("I'm against gay marriage because God says it's bad!") is so UN-American it's crazy.

Does this rant even make sense? I don't even know.
tl;dr I MAD.

It does.

But (once again) to quibble over wording, it's not un-American at all. Trying to impose your religious beliefs on others and come up with a rationalization for it flies in the face of the principles on which America was founded, but it's very American. What is true and what should be true are two very different animals.

And strictly speaking, simply being against something and trying to impose that belief on others are also very different animals. You can be against dying your hair pink based on your religious beliefs, and no one ought to care. It's only when you protect the sanctity of hair by banning others from dying theirs pink that you cross the line.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:03:06 pm by randompvg »

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 11:04:40 pm »
xD Fair enough. I didn't word my thoughts correctly. Believing whatever the hell you want to believe is what being an American is all about, but the moment anyone says that ALL Americans should behave a certain way and hold certain beliefs based on dogma, personal opinion, superstition, et cetera, it's getting very un-American.