Author Topic: Problem with the Art Show  (Read 1510 times)

Offline blix

• Cabbit
    • devart
Problem with the Art Show
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »
Firstly, I'd like to say that I thought the art show went well at Kumoricon, I was impressed with it, I did vocalize that I was satisfied with it. And I *am* happy with it, this is not a big bitch fest, so no worries.

The problem though, upon inspecting the check I have received in the mail ... is that my pieces were not sold for the minimum amount I wrote on the form that they were to be sold for.

This is likely due to volunteers not fully understanding the paperwork and the process, it is a growing pain of any con.

--------------

Here is the problem in detail:

I wrote strictly buy it now prices on my pieces, because that is my preferred method of selling in art shows.

Despite that, several of my works were allowed to be bid on for prices under my buy it now price.

Namely two pieces I see were sold for half what I asked. In some cases, this does not even recoup the expense put in to creating the print.

--------------

Next year, I will expect this not to happen again -OR- you must make it more clear to me what your rules are ... if your rule is that you will always allow a piece to be bid upon for lower than the asked price, then I will no longer enter your art show, and it will not be an issue.

Please right this problem in with whatever solution you decide upon for next year.

I do hope to participate again! Other than this issue, I thought the art show went well.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Problem with the Art Show
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:18:05 pm »
The person who ran the Art Show is a good friend of mine, and I can honestly say that she almost never comes onto the forums, if at all.  I can send this message to her, to see if she may have an idea as to what may have happened.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »
Please email your name and which pieces were undersold to artshow@kumoricon.org.  I will check it against our records and see what happened.

The rules for Art Show state that you can set a Buy It Now price, and a minimum bid.  If the minimum bid price was set below the Buy It Now, that would explain what happened.

In any event.. send me the info, and I will look into it.

Thanks
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline blix

• Cabbit
    • devart
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:39:36 pm »
@Washougal_Otaku So long as the issue is in one way or another brought to the Art Show Coordinator's attention so that it can be fixed or amended for next year, all's well. I don't expect her to come right now and reply to this forum post. :P

@Jamiche Email sent with details regarding the mishandled works. As for a minimum bid price, I did not post one being that my intention was there should be no bids, strictly buy it now for the price I have offered it at.

I think for next year when I participate again, being that my choice to do strictly buy it now is perhaps not standard, I will make very obvious x's through the minimum bid box on all forms and place a note on my panel stating that my pieces are not up for bidding, only purchase at the set price, no higher or lower. Such a note would hopefully preclude questioning con goers asking confused volunteers questions and getting incorrect answers.

Thank you very much for your replies to this forum post!